2009 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country:

2009 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 232016

Town & Country

Our 2009 T&C stalled in city traffic this morning without any warning when slowing down to below 20-30 mph (with the traction control light briefly illuminating after the stall). It had stalled previously 3 separate times in similar situations when either my wife or son were driving the van. Of course when the engine dies there is no power steering or power brakes which makes handling the vehicle extremely difficult. The van immediately restarts when you turn the ignition key, but the cel does not light up so there are no codes in the computer to help diagnose the problem. This is a serious problem that lots of people are having. Just read the blogs on the internet. If the van stalls while making a turn and you can't brake or steer, then it's just a matter of time before a potentially serious accident occurs. As far as I know there are no open recalls on the van (ignition recall already taken care of). The weather was nice and streets were dry.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 202016

Town & Country

Clock spring C123F C123B C1219 and C2204. Just reached 80000 miles and eap traction light is on and the brakes start grabbing doing straight down the highway. I have had two other vans that had recalls on clock spring. Wonder if there should be a recall on the 2009 Town and country for clock spring work and steer angle codes.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Jan 252016

Town & Country

Recently purchased vehicle used (dealership filled with fuel after test drive but before we took it home). On the way home on city streets (while approaching an intersection), the engine stalled causing loss of power brakes & power steering. After putting the car in park, it started up & ran fine. A couple days later, my wife was driving it & while turning right at an intersection it did the same thing. She barely was able to safely complete the turn due to the loss of power steering. After that incident it hasn't happened again (but we haven't filled it with fuel again yet). Research on the net leads me to think it is the common problem with a valve in the fuel tank. We are very nervous driving the car & are dreading our next fill up. This is incredibly unsafe & I hope Chrysler is willing to do something about it.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 092014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that vehicle experienced a complete loss of power while driving 50 mph. After the failure, the ABS and traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system); however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jun 112015

Town & Country

I have a 09 Chrysler T&C that has had multiple brakes, rotors, calipers and bearings issues. In February 2015 I had to replace the rear brakes, calipers, pads and rotors due to them locking up. I investigate the issue and found out that there were service bulletins that stated there was an issue with them and to replace them. Chrysler did they right thing and reimbursed me for the cost to replace all of that. I now find myself in the same situation with the front ones, so I did some investigation again and found a service bulletin about the fron ones and to replace them. I called Chrysler to let them know and they told me to get it to a certifed dealership to diagnosis and that they could possible help with cost assistance but since the extended warranty (X35) expired in April 2015, they can't guarantee that they will help. ( X35 it and extented warranty for this due to many issues that covers 5 yrs from date of mfg or 90,000 miles) well guess what came first 5 yrs..... they car is undrivable due to this issue, so now I have to have it towed from my mechancis to a certifed dearlership that I don't know or trust.....

- Medina, OH, USA

Sep 042014

Town & Country

All four brake warning lights come on when the car is started and they do not go off. When the incident first happened the brake warning lights would stay on until the car was turned off and would not come back on for days. This same cycle would happen over and over again. Now the warning lights come on a few minutes after the vehicle is in motion and will not turn off. I think that there is a problem with the instrument panel or it has something to do with the L25 recall that has not been fixed yet.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 102009

Town & Country

At about 3000 miles the front rotors warped and had to be replaced. Up to about 25,000 miles Chrysler continued to replace free of charge warped front and rear rotors about every 3-6,000 miles. After that they stopped paying for the replacements and I have, despite the somewhat decreased stopping power and vibration continued to ride in mostly low speed city conditions on the existing rotors. Other family members won't drive the vehicle because they don't feel safe doing so. The vibration comes and goes. It gets worse with prolonged driving, higher speeds, and heavy braking. It is always present at higher speeds (>50mph).

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 072011

Town & Country 6-cyl

I purchased this 2009 new, and was surprised the tires were almost bald near 28000 miles. I also had front brakes replaced for warped rotors. My mechanic at Chrysler insisted it was "normal wear" & insulted my wife. We now have 80,000 miles on the van & replaced the rotors approximately every year- 5000 miles or less. I have spent $2000 on brakes (rotors and pads) not including labor ! the warped rotors have again returned & my wife is terrified to drive on the freeway due to the shaking when brakes applied at 55 mph. I feel this is a safety issue as the vehicle shakes violently at 55 mph and braking is poor. I have read several hundred blogs of similar complaints on the 2008-2010 T&C vans. It is a design flaw where a plastic piston in the caliper over heats. Poor chinese parts are used. This is a dangerous condition. I have been a faithful Chrysler owner since 1975. Where's the recall ??

- Grosse Pointe Farms , MI, USA

Oct 202011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Brakes needed replacing -rotors and pads at 31,180 miles.. Chrysler was aware of the problem on these vehicles and had offered extended warranty for these brake repairs/replacement. Chrysler acted properly at this point, but did not really fix the problem longer term as we have had to replace the brake rotors and pads twice more since then. We are conservative drivers and do not ride the brake or brake harshly unless there is an emergency. Our vehicle now has only 56,600 miles on it and two more front rotor and pad brake replacements in the past twenty-five thousand miles is unacceptable and perhaps unsafe. We are communicating with both the dealer and with Chrysler, but based on what we have read online of others with this same type problem, we are not expecting helpful responses from either the dealer or Chrysler.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 262014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The brakes and brake disks of our 09 Town & Country need to be replaced every 10K. The dealer knows about this issue, Chrysler has issued a replacement once and the other times we had to argue with them to get it replaced for free (both front and back, brake pads and disks). We are now at 48K and replacing the brakes for the 4th time. We have a other car (Yukon XL with 86K and it never had any disks replaced). The people at the dealer feel bad for us and say they see this a lot but there is nothing they can do. I contacted Chrysler but they are not willing to fix it, only to replace it for free one more time. There are a lot of reports about this on the web, and this really warrants a recall on the brakes and fix it for real. The brakes overhead and this warps the disks. This can become very dangerous if not replaced right away.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Oct 202013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The first incident occurred when the vehicle was in motion going about 40 miles an hour when the engine shut off with power steering and brake pressure loss. The ABS and traction control light came on. The vehicle was able to be moved over to the side of the road without incident. Restarted the vehicle and it operated as normal. The second incident occurred while moving the vehicle around 5 miles an hour when the engine shut off again. Power steering and brakes failed to work. The third incident occurred traveling about 30 miles an hour with the same issues as above. The vehicle has been at the dealer twice with no solution at this time. There is a recall after the timeframe of this vehicle manufacture for the ignition module 11V139000. It would seem the recall needs to be extended as there are more issues related to the engine stopping for more than just the 2010 model.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Mar 232013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I bought the minivan used 11/2012 - 3/2013 brakes were acting up grinding metal to metal - had a friend who does shop work look at them - ended up replacing both rear calipers, drums and brakes -June 2013 started doing the same thing - had same friend look at them - pads were gone after only 3 months, he replaced them again - they were smoking, had to have it towed to dealership - they refused to do anything as I had an unlicensed repair done - so I paid again to have them replace the calipers, rotors, drums and brakes in rear - my car is in shop again today for rear calipers, rotors and brakes - it's 4/2014 - this is a huge safety issue for repeat concerns with brakes - dealership is unable to tell me why this keeps repeating -

- Rocky Hill, CT, USA

Jan 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving down the road the car turned off. Don't know if my knee hit the key chain to turn off the car or if the car just turned off. I was driving straight and turned the car back on and it was ok. If I would of been on a curve it might have been different. I have since then bought a quick release lock so my keys are not attached to the key for the van. Haven't had any problems as of yet. But I just bought it. Just think the design of the car could be different to have the key placement somewhere else or change how the key fits into the car to avoid this from happening.

- Port Byron, IL, USA

Oct 012009

Town & Country

We bought this brand new and have had to replace both brakes and rotors 2-3 times per year due to shaking/wobbling when applied. The fact that Chrysler extended the warranty for brakes admits liability, brake system should be recalled and fixed, is Chrysler waiting for a class action law suit"?" when I look at these forums it seems all owners are experiencing the same issue, that is a problem!!!! this vehicle is marketed as a family van for goodness sake!! take responsibility Chrysler!!!

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Aug 212010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Just after a yr of driving and 20K miles my brakes were not feeling right. I took my van to the dealer and had the pads replaced. At 35 thousand I took the van back in because I had the same issue again. The dealer wanted to replace all the pads and turn rotors. I was not happy. The problem I was told got fixed in 2008. Not to mention the expense. I had the pads done and only front rotors done. In my experience of all 8 vehicles I've owned. Never had I need to replace the rear rotors. Maybe at 60K on my Dodge Dakota. And I used it for heavy use. The van is driving to pa twice a yr from fl and orlando a lot. It seems to me there is a problem with the brakes on the 2009.

- West Palm Bch, FL, USA

Aug 132009

Town & Country

I read where an investigation has been started with the smoke and fire problem with three Jeep roof liners and checking the latest number of premature brake related failure on 09 Chrysler now numbers forty. It seems there needs to be some sort of review of the inadequate braking system installed on these vehicles. I would hope that the review system considers brakes a somewhat important issue. I too have had these brake issues and filed complaints with this operation. I was never able to find my complaint in the list of complaints. Wondering how many other complaints never make it through the system. This brake failure is a serious problem.

- Musegon, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Town & Country

Brakes vibrating. Took it to dealer and they redid the brakes and charged me and now the van is doing the same thing again. The brakes need to be redone again. Only 20,000 miles on the new brakes. There must be a problem.

- Poway, CA, USA

Nov 092011

Town & Country

November 9, 2011 had to replace rear brakes for the 2nd time in less than 2 years in ownership of vehicle. Tire sensor failed and tire deployed. April 4, 2013 additional tire sensors blow out or failed without any prior notification had to replace 3 tire sensors. Brakes also had to be replaced within a 15 month period. Less than 20,000 miles. There is clearly something wrong with the products/material used to construct this vehicle. 2013 heating unit appears to overheat my driver seat causing leather on seat to began to crack. Chrysler motors was place on written notice of these problems as early as January 18,2012 but failed to respond or do anything to address my concerns.

- Shaker Hts., OH, USA

Mar 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the rear brakes wore out with in twenty thousand miles. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to have the brakes changed. The dealer replaced the rear brakes and did not find a defect within the braking system to cause the rear brakes to wear prematurely. The failure mileage was 21,689. Updated 06/04/13 updated 06/12/2013

- Mentor, OH, USA

Oct 242011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph with the brake pedal depressed, he noticed a vibration in the brake pedal. The failure recurred whenever the brakes were applied over 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Penn Valley, CA, USA