2011 Chrysler Town & Country fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 102016

Town & Country

Car takes 20 minutes of on and off starting till it runs. Turns off while driveing for no apparent reason

- Ville Platte, LA, USA

Oct 032016

Town & Country

Bought the van in 2011 and since then, the vehicle began to having problems starting in 2014. I pressed the start button, but the engine would not turn over. After several hundred tries, it would start. This happened 20 times since then and the dealer does not know why. Today, 4 Oct 16, the vehicle will not start at all. I'm a deployed service member and my wife and three children use this van. The faulty ignition system will leave my family stranded. I researched this and there is a recall for other models with the same tipm system, however, there is not one for the Town and country. There are hundreds of owners experiencing the same problem. Please have Chrysler admit there is a faulty tipm and that this needs to be recalled.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Aug 182016

Town & Country

I believe my issues started when my battery was dead after being shut off upon my arrival to work, within 3 1/2 hours. Battery was charged and started and made it home. 3 days later, without any notification of an issue through the onboard computer notification system, vehicle would not start. Tries to turn over, and did start after a lot of different efforts about 7-8 times(by fully depressing gas pedal when it would turn over to start and maintain rpms 3-4000 for a minimum of 5-10 seconds) and now will not start at all. After last attempts to start, and vehicle not running, you can still hear the fuel pump operating and smell of gasoline. Battery drain was noticed with 24 hours, and dead with in 2 days. When vehicle had started and able to drive a short distance, it would shut off while driving, or shut off upon stopping for a sign or red light. This is dangerous situation, as I am trying to take my 4 year old daughter and teen age son to school when this happened. I have been without a vehicle for over a month now, as this started 8/18/2016. Have lost work time and put my job in jeopardy, as I am in sales and need my transportation. I do not have the time to be running back and forth to dealers to only find out they know nothing to fix this recurring problem with their Chrysler vehicles, nor the thousands of dollars to spend on them trying to "guess" at what the issue is. Vehicles should be fixed if Chrysler actually knows what will fix it, or buyout the vehicle plus 5+% so people can replace this awful vehicle. In the meantime, GM financial still expects monthly payment on a vehicle that is worthless.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 192016

Town & Country

Faulty tipm led to fuel pump to not engage and car would not start. Had to have tipm replaced at cost of $1,341.15. At the time the car would not start it was in the driveway however we had previously had it shut down while driving on a city street.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 182016

Town & Country

Vehicles was parked in driveway went to start vehicle and it will not start, vehicle will turn over and act like it, is not getting fuel. If vehicle sits for some time eventually it will start 3-4 times and then issue will occur again. Vehicle started with no problem the previous day, problem occurred without any warning, no check engine light displayed on dash. When vehicle is off fuel pump can be heard still running with ignition off and battery has to be disconnected in order to stop fuel pump from running and not drain battery. Battery is brand new, fuses have been checked and are in good condition. In researching online I have found others to have the same issue but have not seen any recall. Was able to fiind possible temporary fix by using a fuel pump relay bypass but have not tried this option.. I have called and spoken to be Chrysler service department and have been told that it here is no recall and all I can do is have car towed to them and let them check it out. I would think with recall they have done on Jeep and Dodge protects there would be something they can tell. Same issue has occurred with the Dodge Caravan which is basically the Chrysler town N country. Please help!!!!!!!!!

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 211016

Town & Country

It was running fine no warring lights nothing was coming up but out of no where it started stalling and would crank and it still will not crank but when it wants and I got it cracked up one day and took my kid to the doctor and it shut off on me wile driving but ya it has trouble cranking and it is stalling and shuts off wile driving very unsafe I am now scared to put my kids in it to ride. Please hlep

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Jul 182016

Town & Country

Electrical system malfunction. The back up sensors do not work, the safety backup video does not work, it says my tires have 0 pressure, it will not start after being shut off. Tipm problem? way too many people have complaints about the vehicles electric system related to the fuel system and engine not starting. This is clearly enough evidence to warrant a tipm recall. If you know what the problem is exactly, could you let me know because we are trying to find a solution.

- Parma, OH, USA

Sep 142015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at high speeds, the vehicle independently surged forward without warning. In addition, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate intermittently. The contact also stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was informed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred with additional electrical failures. The contact was informed by an independent mechanic that the tipm failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ferris, TX, USA

Jun 262016

Town & Country

Experiencing intermittent electrical problems. The van will crank fine one time and not just a few minutes later. It acts like the battery is dead but it's a brand new battery replaced by the dealer. It has been doing this off and on. The symptoms are a perfect fit for the tipm issues that other Chrysler vehicles have experienced and have been recalled for. It has plenty of voltage and amperage to crank, it just won't. also when it does crank it will stall out, although, not every time. Sometimes it will crank normally and others you need to press the accelerator pedal. This also appears to fit the tipm symptoms exactly. The van has worked perfectly until this issue. This is a design defect that Chrysler should pay to correct in all affected vehicles. The most recent occurrence was the evening of 6/26/16. I drove the vehicle approximately 4 hours earlier and it cranked and operated normally, however, this time it would not crank. The interior lights and A/C fan all appear to operate normally, however, when I tried to crank the van all of the lights flickered but the van does not crank. I do not receive a low batter warning either, because the batter is brand new, replaced by the dealer at the beginning of June 2016. I attempted several more times but the van never did crank. That is why I am here. I am fed up with having to drive a van with an obvious design flaw. I am seeking resolution in the form of the the dealer correcting the defect at the their own cost.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 222016

Town & Country

Was leaving work when my check engine light came one, along with the traction control light and the brakes got hard. Car stopped, turned it off to turn it back on, and it would not start. All lights, radio, etc came on, but engine would not turn over or engage. Do not think fuel pump was engaging either. Tried numerous things, including the tipm bypass and it still will not start. 90% plus of my driving is highway. I got very lucky that this system failure happened when it did, as a few minutes later and I would have been on a very busy highway, as well as if it had happened on my way to work.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Mar 012016

Town & Country

The fuel pump relay is failing causing the vehicle to not start sometimes. It has also caused poor acceleration from the relay cutting on and off.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Dec 012015

Town & Country

First my radio would come on and off buy itself, then the heat would turn on and off by itself, then car would start sometimes, unless you turned key on and off 4 times before starting, now the fuel pump will not stop running and I have to take cable of battery every time I turn van off

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Jan 122016

Town & Country

Vehicle would not start. Towed yp dealership. Took several days to diagnose. Fuel pump relay, in tipm, was faulty.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jan 222016

Town & Country

Engine turns over but fails to start. Diagnosed as tipm failure.

- Ofallon, IL, USA

Oct 292015

Town & Country

July - drove the van down to myrtle beach and the check engine light came on and we lost all power to vehicle. Had it towed to a repair shop and they said we needed a new alternator and battery. Got it fixed to the tune of almost $1,000. Recently (late Oct-current) my wife went out to start it last week and it wouldn't start. Just cranked and cranked, then after several tries, it started up like nothing was wrong. Took it to our mechanic and they said it was something electronic told us they couldn't replicate the problem, which I basically told them that they were crazy because it has done it every morning for the last week. Finally narrowed it down to the tipm, which by the way is on back order for god knows how long, and not only do we have to pay for it, . so... now what? I have no vehicle and have no idea how long it will be. Chrysler is doing nothing to help even though there are hundreds of complaints about this issue- the have recalled the durangos and Cherokee for the same problem but failed to do anything with the Grand Caravan and Town and country... we bought a $25,000 vehicle so we didn't have issues like this... I've always been a Chrysler person myself but am having second thoughts about our next vehicle.

- Chester, VA, USA

Nov 252015

Town & Country

Tipm system faulty! fuel relay switch is bad and should be included in the recent recall. Vehicle won't start and stalls intermittently. Had to take to dealership and the diagnostic confirmed. See photo. Called Chrysler and they refused to replace the part which costs with labor $1100. This is the same issue that they just recalled and they need to provide us with some assistance, I drive my family in this vehicle!!

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Aug 192015

Town & Country

The tipm recall for Jeep and durango should be extended to any vehicle with that specific part, including my vehicle, the 2011 Chrysler Town and country. My tipm is the same part that was recalled in other vehicles, it should be Focus of the recall, not the host vehicles with the most complaints. My vehicle exhibited the exact symptoms as those described in complaints that triggered the recall of the tipms. My Town and country would not start whether cold or hot, home or in a strange parking lot, if it was parked or stalled while driving. It got to the point when my wife was stranded away from home. My local mechanic, narrowed it down to the tipm, however was not equipped to replace and program the new part. The dealership that I took it to dismissed the problem and insisted it was the fuel pump. It was not the fuel pump and after having my own mechanic replace the fuel pump, the tipm defect continued from the moment of the fuel pump repair. I was able to mail the tipm itself to a gauge repair specialist who installed a new fuel pump relay directly to the circuit board for $100. The vehicle started without symptoms as soon as the repaired tipm was installed. A Chrysler service member let me know that the symptom sounded like the fuel pump relay which is soldered to the board, the only Chrysler employee remotely interested in helping me. Made scents to me so I went with an outside solution. The gauge repair specialist had repaired hundreds of this same tipms before they were recalled. I would expect the same recall for all tipms regardless of the vehicle in which they were installed. The fact that the part in my vehicle was backordered do to the recall substantiates the idea that it should be included in the recall. Waiting for correct diagnoses and backordered parts would mean another two months waiting. Photo: Burnt contacts under the fuel pump relay.

- Frankfort, IN, USA

Aug 242015

Town & Country

Car would not start. Once the car started it would die while driving with no warning. Dealer had to replace the tipm to fix problem.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Aug 152015

Town & Country

Car cranks but will not start. My tipm is faulty in my 2011- Chrysler Town & Country @53896 miles causing our vehicle not to run. We were lucky that this issue did not occur while driving on the highway with my children. Chrysler charged $395 in labor and $22 for the part plus tax. As you are probably already aware, this fix was not permanent; yet the dealership says "all ┐┐work is completed". no you did not fix tipm; just "installed external fuel pump relay". we would like our vehicle restored to its original condition.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 212015

Town & Country

Car will turn over but not start. Had it towed to a dealer while away from home on a family road trip. After several hours of waiting the dealer said the problem was a fault with the tipm and that it would need to be replaced at a cost of over $1100 dollars. I have no other alternative, but what an expensive repair.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA