2.2

2011 Chrysler Town & Country fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 102016

Town & Country

On Nov 10, 2016 our 2011 Town & Country had a fuel pump relay failure (relay is internal to the total integrated power module (tipm)). The vehicle was stationary, but if the vehicle had been moving when the relay failed the vehicle motor would have stalled causing a loss of power steering and power brakes. This problem is similar to NHTSA recall no. : 14V-530 and NHTSA recall no. : 15V-115. Please re-investigate Chrysler Town & Country fuel pump relay failures.

- Put In Bay, OH, USA

Nov 012016

Town & Country

My complaint is the tipm module just like many Dodge and Chrysler. And Chrysler thinks they can pick and choose who they reward an recall too. This is a faulty part on all Chrysler for several years and they know it! but when I get done with this class action law suit I am about to start I hope all paying Chrysler and Dodge customer get money they deserve!

- Perdido, AL, USA

Nov 052016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle seized. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module and the fuel pump relay needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,050.

- South Elgin, IL, USA

Oct 312016

Town & Country

We bought our certified used van in may of 2012. In June of 2012 the alternator had to be replaced, as the battery light came on while driving on the highway. Within the first year of ownership it started having weird quirks: The rear heating system would come on while driving with the temperature controls off, the previously closed windows would be rolled down, and sliding door would be open upon returning to the locked van. In November of 2015 the key fob had become so sensitive to the touch that just a slight bump would make the lock indicator honk sound. We took it into a Chrysler dealership in December of 2015 and a new key fob and and software update stopped the honking, the sliding doors opening and the windows rolling down. The heating system continued to turn on by itself. In July 2016 the van started being hard to start. We had it towed to a garage in Michigan, where we were visiting, and we were told the code was a security issue between the fob and the starter. We drove it to a dealer in Michigan who could not duplicate the problem. Difficulty starting the van started again in October 2016, especially after a cold night. On October 31, 2016, while the van was off in the driveway I heard a noise like a vacuum coming from under the van. When I went to unlock and start the van it was dead. After having the battery replaced, the mechanic friend who replaced it heard the noise and said it sounded like the fuel pump running (while the car was off). The garage we took it to found that we had a faulty totally integrated power module (tipm). Some research has show us that this is a common problem for Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles that causes airbags to not work because the fuel pump runs constantly. The heating system turning on is also a symptom of this. Why if some Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles have a recall for this part are they not for all models?

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Oct 172016

Town & Country

The issue began with our van frequently requiring more than one attempt to start the engine. This progressed until we were unable to start the van at all. I feared it was a bad fuel pump and the local dealer came up with the same diagnosis. After a few days we were informed that our van was ready to be picked up. We arrived at the shop the next morning only to find that the car wouldn't even start. Apparently our Town and country had a bad tipm which caused the fuel pump to burn out. Total cost for the tipm, fuel pump, and labor was over $1600.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sep 252016

Town & Country

The car has a defective totally integrated power module (tipm). This module has caused the van not to start and the engine has stalled during driving. The module has a fuel pump relay on a ckt board that is defective. The relay also stuck closed and heated up the battery and drained it. The only way to start the vehicle, is to cycle the key multiple times until you here the fuel pump running. The vehicle has been to the dealer many times for the no start problem. This vehicle is an accident waiting to happen, with the engine stalling and the fuel pump shorting the battery. Also another defect is the power sliding doors, the wiring will burn and break. This causes the doors to become stuck open and will not close. When you are on the road with the doors stuck open, this is not safe. The doors need the wiring replaced with a heavy duty wire.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Oct 102016

Town & Country

Car takes 20 minutes of on and off starting till it runs. Turns off while driveing for no apparent reason

- Ville Platte, LA, USA

Oct 032016

Town & Country

Bought the van in 2011 and since then, the vehicle began to having problems starting in 2014. I pressed the start button, but the engine would not turn over. After several hundred tries, it would start. This happened 20 times since then and the dealer does not know why. Today, 4 Oct 16, the vehicle will not start at all. I'm a deployed service member and my wife and three children use this van. The faulty ignition system will leave my family stranded. I researched this and there is a recall for other models with the same tipm system, however, there is not one for the Town and country. There are hundreds of owners experiencing the same problem. Please have Chrysler admit there is a faulty tipm and that this needs to be recalled.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Aug 182016

Town & Country

I believe my issues started when my battery was dead after being shut off upon my arrival to work, within 3 1/2 hours. Battery was charged and started and made it home. 3 days later, without any notification of an issue through the onboard computer notification system, vehicle would not start. Tries to turn over, and did start after a lot of different efforts about 7-8 times(by fully depressing gas pedal when it would turn over to start and maintain rpms 3-4000 for a minimum of 5-10 seconds) and now will not start at all. After last attempts to start, and vehicle not running, you can still hear the fuel pump operating and smell of gasoline. Battery drain was noticed with 24 hours, and dead with in 2 days. When vehicle had started and able to drive a short distance, it would shut off while driving, or shut off upon stopping for a sign or red light. This is dangerous situation, as I am trying to take my 4 year old daughter and teen age son to school when this happened. I have been without a vehicle for over a month now, as this started 8/18/2016. Have lost work time and put my job in jeopardy, as I am in sales and need my transportation. I do not have the time to be running back and forth to dealers to only find out they know nothing to fix this recurring problem with their Chrysler vehicles, nor the thousands of dollars to spend on them trying to "guess" at what the issue is. Vehicles should be fixed if Chrysler actually knows what will fix it, or buyout the vehicle plus 5+% so people can replace this awful vehicle. In the meantime, GM financial still expects monthly payment on a vehicle that is worthless.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 192016

Town & Country

Faulty tipm led to fuel pump to not engage and car would not start. Had to have tipm replaced at cost of $1,341.15. At the time the car would not start it was in the driveway however we had previously had it shut down while driving on a city street.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 182016

Town & Country

Vehicles was parked in driveway went to start vehicle and it will not start, vehicle will turn over and act like it, is not getting fuel. If vehicle sits for some time eventually it will start 3-4 times and then issue will occur again. Vehicle started with no problem the previous day, problem occurred without any warning, no check engine light displayed on dash. When vehicle is off fuel pump can be heard still running with ignition off and battery has to be disconnected in order to stop fuel pump from running and not drain battery. Battery is brand new, fuses have been checked and are in good condition. In researching online I have found others to have the same issue but have not seen any recall. Was able to fiind possible temporary fix by using a fuel pump relay bypass but have not tried this option.. I have called and spoken to be Chrysler service department and have been told that it here is no recall and all I can do is have car towed to them and let them check it out. I would think with recall they have done on Jeep and Dodge protects there would be something they can tell. Same issue has occurred with the Dodge Caravan which is basically the Chrysler town N country. Please help!!!!!!!!!

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 211016

Town & Country

It was running fine no warring lights nothing was coming up but out of no where it started stalling and would crank and it still will not crank but when it wants and I got it cracked up one day and took my kid to the doctor and it shut off on me wile driving but ya it has trouble cranking and it is stalling and shuts off wile driving very unsafe I am now scared to put my kids in it to ride. Please hlep

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Jul 182016

Town & Country

Electrical system malfunction. The back up sensors do not work, the safety backup video does not work, it says my tires have 0 pressure, it will not start after being shut off. Tipm problem? way too many people have complaints about the vehicles electric system related to the fuel system and engine not starting. This is clearly enough evidence to warrant a tipm recall. If you know what the problem is exactly, could you let me know because we are trying to find a solution.

- Parma, OH, USA

Sep 142015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at high speeds, the vehicle independently surged forward without warning. In addition, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate intermittently. The contact also stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was informed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred with additional electrical failures. The contact was informed by an independent mechanic that the tipm failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ferris, TX, USA

Jun 262016

Town & Country

Experiencing intermittent electrical problems. The van will crank fine one time and not just a few minutes later. It acts like the battery is dead but it's a brand new battery replaced by the dealer. It has been doing this off and on. The symptoms are a perfect fit for the tipm issues that other Chrysler vehicles have experienced and have been recalled for. It has plenty of voltage and amperage to crank, it just won't. also when it does crank it will stall out, although, not every time. Sometimes it will crank normally and others you need to press the accelerator pedal. This also appears to fit the tipm symptoms exactly. The van has worked perfectly until this issue. This is a design defect that Chrysler should pay to correct in all affected vehicles. The most recent occurrence was the evening of 6/26/16. I drove the vehicle approximately 4 hours earlier and it cranked and operated normally, however, this time it would not crank. The interior lights and A/C fan all appear to operate normally, however, when I tried to crank the van all of the lights flickered but the van does not crank. I do not receive a low batter warning either, because the batter is brand new, replaced by the dealer at the beginning of June 2016. I attempted several more times but the van never did crank. That is why I am here. I am fed up with having to drive a van with an obvious design flaw. I am seeking resolution in the form of the the dealer correcting the defect at the their own cost.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 222016

Town & Country

Was leaving work when my check engine light came one, along with the traction control light and the brakes got hard. Car stopped, turned it off to turn it back on, and it would not start. All lights, radio, etc came on, but engine would not turn over or engage. Do not think fuel pump was engaging either. Tried numerous things, including the tipm bypass and it still will not start. 90% plus of my driving is highway. I got very lucky that this system failure happened when it did, as a few minutes later and I would have been on a very busy highway, as well as if it had happened on my way to work.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Mar 012016

Town & Country

The fuel pump relay is failing causing the vehicle to not start sometimes. It has also caused poor acceleration from the relay cutting on and off.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Dec 012015

Town & Country

First my radio would come on and off buy itself, then the heat would turn on and off by itself, then car would start sometimes, unless you turned key on and off 4 times before starting, now the fuel pump will not stop running and I have to take cable of battery every time I turn van off

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Jan 122016

Town & Country

Vehicle would not start. Towed yp dealership. Took several days to diagnose. Fuel pump relay, in tipm, was faulty.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jan 222016

Town & Country

Engine turns over but fails to start. Diagnosed as tipm failure.

- Ofallon, IL, USA