3.0

2011 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Jul 022016

Town & Country

Takata recall", can not put vechile in reverse when you turn it on, you have to turn it off then back on again for it to move from park to either reverse or drive.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Feb 102016

Town & Country

While driving my vehicle on the highway at an estimated speed of 60 mph, for no reason at all, various warning/indicator lights started to flash (not all in unison) and the odometer speed indicator (digital numbers) went up & down as the car seemed to be stalling/missing. For a second it seemed to right itself then the engine completely shut down losing all power - electrical (all), power steering, power brakes, etc. And we were forced to coast to a stop in the breakdown lane. After waiting a few minutes I was able to start the car and it seemed that every thing was normal for the last 10 miles or so of my drive.this is the second time it has happened in the past 2-3 years which is a long period but alarming because both times were while driving on the highway. When it does happen you can't safely control the car once it shuts down - limited control at best. After the first time, I took it to the Chrysler dealer in kent oh (klaben) who services my vehicle because of the warranty and I trust them. They had a service technician and a manager both drive the van over the course of a few days (including highway travel) and couldn't duplicate the failure. Diagnosis was a possible computer glitch and since that diagnosis it hasn't happened again until tonight 2/10/16. It may be the computer but I will drive it tomorrow and see if it runs ok. If it does I probably won't take it back in (unless someone knows something) but I wanted to share the issue in the event anyone else has experienced the same problem. A computer glitch (if it is) is not like a reboot on the home computer.this failure both times has happened in light traffic. My fear is that in heavy traffic trying to pull over safely without any power and lights could lead to a major incident/accident. I should have my record of the (no) repair from klaben and they should also have in their data base.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Feb 102012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler town country. While driving 50 mph, the steering wheel shook and made a humming noise. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. In addition, the blind spot sensor malfunctioned and created a constant beeping noise. Furthermore, the windows opened and closed by themselves. The vehicle started and locked from the inside on its own many times. Lastly, the brake pads melted and were replaced more than once. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed, but was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Levant, ME, USA

Sep 102015

Town & Country

For a week I had trouble getting vehicle to start, on 9/10/15 only 5 months after buying vehicle it starting loosing power while I was driving 45 mph down a busy highway. No lights came on indicating there was no power it just started slowing down, so I pulled over which was very hard to do because the steering wheel was tight and the brakes were tight as well. Finally got it to crank so I could get to a safe place off of the side of the road. I had it towed to a local mechanic who stated it was fuel pump but he wanted dealership look at it to be sure that was the only thing. They towed in on 9/16/15. Was not able to get it fixed until 9/23/15, when I had my husband take me to pick it up. I drove it across town to work, at lunch would not crank. They had to tow it back to dealership where they informed me there was a bad connector and was fixing that. After fixing that still would not crank so they have been going wire for wire trying to find out the problem because the tipm is on national backorder so unable to get a new one for now. It has been 3 weeks without my van.

- Pontotoc, MS, USA

Jul 212015

Town & Country

So, started with key fobs not working next was the air bag light going off and on and now it wont even start. After letting the van sit for a wile it will start however now it will just shut off wile driving.

- Talladega, AL, USA

Jun 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Slightly before 9,000 miles I started noticing a slight shimmy of the steering wheel when the brakes were applied when driving over 50mph. This condition did not occur consistently, but was sporadic. As time has past, this condition has become much more frequent, the steering wheel shimmy has become much more severe, and is now occurring at speeds as low as 35mph. I have owned Chrysler Town and country vans over the past 16 years (trading up every 2 years) and can testify that their brakes have been a consistent weakness (typically warped discs). My previous 2009 Chrysler T&C even had a recall for their brakes. However, this severe steering wheel shimmy thing is something that I have never seen in the past and I am afraid that it is approaching a violent situation that may cause loss of control. The mileage on the vehicle is far too low for a brake wear issue. Furthermore, a warped disc would be noticeable when breaking at all speeds. I am about to go to my dealer with this, but am checking the internet to see if this is a known issue and if there are any existing recalls. These observations are made from my 30 years of experience as a mechanical engineer and former head of product reliability at motorola.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Noisy tires, 225 65R 17 Michelin energy A/S feathering on outside edges on front tires. Alignment checked and found to be in spec by dealer. Tirerack rates this tire very high, but after a few thousand miles, they are already showing signs of abnormal wear and cupping. The combination of the T&C fwd engine weight, cheap front end components which cause stability problems, along with this soft riding, hard rubber Michelin, will become another problem like the Ford Explorer & mavericks with Firestone 500S. Steering stability, quick response and wander are a safely issue on this tire /vehicle combination.

Sep 082011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Today I noted that both Michelin as energy saver 225 65 R17 front tires are cupping on outside edge, steering has been very sensitive at high speed, vehicle wanders easily on the freeway requiring frequent steering correction. It is the alignment of the "caster" adjustment/design or manufacturing of the new T&C design has a problem. With only 3500 miles on it, I ran my hand over the tread of all tires, and the front tires are cupping, while the rear are smooth. Please advise. Dealer informed of oversensitve steering, has not performed an alignment yet. Waiting for a call from Chrysler complaint dept.

Aug 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Steering is oversensitive, vehicle oversteers very easily. Dealer performed 3 software upgrades, one to each of these modules: PCM, win and steering sensor. Steering is not better. This oversteer seems to be more of a mechanical design flaw, and feels unstable, like it is easy to drift into other lanes, causing an accident. Harsh ride. Our 2004 T&C was much better. The more I drive the new 2011, the more I hate it, want my old van back.