2012 Chrysler Town & Country body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler Town & Country:

2012 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Oct 042015

Town & Country

Myself, the driver and my wife were (riding in the passenger seat), with my son 2 year old sitting in his car seat in the middle row. The current outside temperature outside was 70 degrees F. we had just drove through a small residential area going approx. 30 mph. We came to a stop light, while waiting for the light to change there was a loud pop, almost sounded like a fire cracker going off. We instantly turned around to find the rear gate window shatter. At first I thought the vehicle sitting behind me at the light had hit my vehicle, but when I looked he was parked nearly 8 feet away. I talk to the guy and his wife sitting behind me and he said, that it was weird it look as if the window blew out from the inside. The window just explode. Here were the current variables taking place in the car while at stop. 1. the rear defrost was not on 2.the rear side vent windows were both fully open 3. outside temperature was a comfortable 70 degrees F. now as for the after math there's not really much to tell other than the window shattered(completely gone) and glass all over the place including right next to my sons car seat. The focal point of the break seemed to be located at near dead center. Iżve just contacted Chrysler about this and I am going tomorrow to see what they say. When I googled this problem I found a handful of Town and country from 01 to 13 with this problem. But they tell me on the phone this is not a common thing and will need fca dealer to look at it, which is fine my only concern is they fix the issue, because I can replace a window but this does not solve the underling problem. Had there been people in the 3rd row seating what would have happen to them? this vehicle (minivan) was purchased to be used as our family vehicle and now sadly I am worried to drive with my two year old son in it. Hopefully a resolution can be made

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 282012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle right side sliding door become open. The latch assembly was not operative and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred a second time. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Lodi , WI, USA

Jan 012015

Town & Country 6-cyl

My 2 year old son exited the van on the passenger side, through power sliding door. The door closed on his hand and did not retract automatically. We reached out to Chrysler who sent an inspector. The inspector tested the door with a folded terry cloth. I provided him with a doll, which has a hand the same size and shape of a child's. the passenger door closed completely on the doll hand. The drivers side door opened automatically. So there existed a difference between the two doors. Chrysler stated they believe there is nothing wrong with the van. We took the van to the dealership, they also stated the door closes normally. We reached out to the local news station wftv who agreed to assist because the passenger side door still closed on the doll hand, while the driver side door did not. The van was taken to zembower's auto center where immediate testing revealed the car needed a new battery. The comment was made, how is Chrysler able to diagnose a potential electrical issue without first checking the electrical system to be sure its operating normally. I took the van to the dealership who then agreed, the van does need a new battery. We took the van back to zembowers for a battery replacement. Upon replacement the passenger door now seems to be operating normally. So the issue still remains, why is it that when the battery is in need of replacement in the van, that the passenger power door is less sensitive than the drivers side, allowing it to close on hands of children" and it should be noted that no service engine lights were illuminated, so no indication was given as to the van needing a new battery. So, based on this experience, are we to assume that anytime the van battery is depleted, even before giving any indication through the service engine lights, that the passenger side power door will become insensitive" this issue remains unresolved.

- Sanford, FL, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the turn signal indicators on the side mirrors failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the blind spot module was broken. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware failure. The failure mileage was 50,400. The current mileage was 52,000. Updated 08/11/14 updated 08/12/2014

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 032013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that whenever accessing the power liftgate with the key fob, the door would close abruptly. The contact sustained a bruise to the right leg because of the door failure. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V191000 (equipment) however, the contact's VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Port Orange , FL, USA

May 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Our vehicle is equipped with power opening and closing side doors. My five-year-old son was outside the car, leaning against the car with the passenger side door open and his hand against the B pillar. My wife, not knowing where his hand was, started the door closing using the power feature. The door closed and latched completely, crushing two fingers of my son's hand in the process. Thankfully, there were no broken bones and only minor injury, but the door did not hesitate to close whatsoever despite the obstruction. Upon returning home from the emergency room, I tested the anti-pinch sensor on the door as it closed using a block of wood. The force exerted on the block was significant enough that I had trouble holding on to the block and was surprised at the amount of pressure exerted. The door did eventually reverse, but only after crushing the block of wood to a depth of approximately 1/8 inch. The obstruction sensors are completely insufficient to avoid injury.

- Frederick, CO, USA