- May 3: No Recall For Ford F-150 Brake Pedal Problems investigations | 2 days ago
- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 8 days ago
- April 12: Ford F-150 SuperCab Takes Top Crash Test Award news | 23 days ago
- March 31: Ford Recalls 48,000 Vehicles in 3 Recalls recalls | 35 days ago
- March 20: Ford Trucks Won't Be Recalled For Stalling Problems investigations | 46 days ago
NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems
2001 Ford Escape (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 3 / 1
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 2 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 107,315 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.