CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

9.2

$1,835.00

2. replace coils and catalytic converters (1 reports)
  3. replace fuel pump (1 reports)
2004 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Feb 162016

Escape XLT V6

Drove all week no problem. Filled up with gas on Friday after work for next week. Snow storm on Sunday and Monday so no work until Tuesday. Husband turned car around in driveway and told me my car has no power. I gave him that look and muttered under my breath that he knows nothing! sorry!Anyway I attempted to leave for work and noticed a lot of noise going on under the hood and I figured snow or ice has gotten under there(I dont know) so I pulled onto the asphalt and it sounded awful and then I noticed the speedometer dropping until it got to zero and stopped. I put it in park and back in drive and tried to gas it but nothing. Thankfully I was only a quarter of a mile from home. Im a homehealth nurse and I drive all day covering 8 counties and Im thankful I wasnt on the highway. Grudginly I called my husband and told him that he was correct, that my car was loosing power and he needed to come get me. It is now at the repair shop.

- , Farmville, VA, USA

Jan 082014

Escape LTD V6

Also see many similar complaints for 2005 Escape... The Ford V6 has coil caps. When it rains then they fail. The cylinders misfire. The misfiring cylinders dump fuel into the exhaust. The catalytic converters get fried. There are three catalytic converters. They are very expensive. $625 each. ($1900) The coil caps are also very expensive. You can buy them on line for $25 but mechanics charge you $100 plus labor and multiply by 6 Ford cylinders. ($960)

This is the second time this has happened in 6 months. The last time the fuel in the exhaust heated up and exploded. The blast vented out by blowing a hole in the metal housing of the EGR valve (another $125).

This is a design flaw. Run screaming from all Ford products before it is too late.

- , Berwyn, PA, USA

Jun 052013

Escape Limited V6

I was driving to the store car hesitated than shut off had car towed back to my house had someone look at car no fuel delivery changed fuel pump car ran good for a 1.5 days then same thing happened.

- , York, PA, USA

Mar 122013

Escape

Well, I bought my 2004 Ford Escape a year ago. I thought I was getting a great deal, since it only had about 32,000 miles. However, in the past week, I had the check engine light come on after I was driving along, thankfully at about 35 mph, and lost power to my SUV. I was fortunate to be able to get off the main road, before being hit from behind. I was able to restart the SUV and drive home.

However, the car continues to hesitate when I am accelerating initially, and gets really bad if my speed approaches 60 miles an hour. To the point where the steering wheel shakes a lot!

So I took my SUV to Ford for a diagnostic check. They said it is probably one of the coils, they were not able to tell which one, or if that was for sure the problem. But, said that was the place to start. They told me that the next thing would be the computer, and that was very expensive to fix. I had to pay about $80.00 for a diagnostic check, but that would go towards the cost of repairs.

My boyfriend questioned that they had to replace all six coils at once, and could not tell which if any were faulty. Ford wanted $880.00 to replace all six coils. My boyfriend thought that was a rip off. He went to Advanced Auto parts and bought new coils. He replaced the front 3 coils. (He did get a book on how to do this). He was hoping that would be the fix. Because, as many of you know, the back 3 coils look much more complicated to tackle.

With the number of complaints here. I have come to two conclusions. The first, I am disgusted that this was not a manufacturer's recall. The second. I'm never buying another Ford again. We just bought my son a car a few days ago. A Honda Civic. I'm betting we won't have the same issues!

- , Marion, OH, USA

Aug 162007

Escape 3.0L

Engine will turn off while driving and will not start until it cools off It only has turn off once while i was driving but some times wont start after i stop at the gas station or any other place for few minutes, a big pain on the butt.

- , Sunnyvale, CA, USA