CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

2004 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 162014

Takata recall

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Jan 092015

Takata recall

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jan 122016

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle revved and unintended accelerated, while driving at low speeds. The contact was able to engage the brake pedal, shifted the gear into neutral, engaged the emergency brake, and coasted the vehicle out of traffic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V353000 (engine and engine cooling, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Fountain Cith, WI, USA

Oct 142015

Escape

The contact owned a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the speed accelerated independently, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to respond causing the vehicle to crash into a guard rail. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V353000 (engine and engine cooling, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Nov 282014

Escape

Vehicle airbag light goes on and off intermittently. This happens whether parked or driving, whether there is a passenger or not. Vehicle will "rev" in park, if the steering wheel is turned slightly, bumped or move. Twice vehicle has "jumped" while in parked when this has happened. Major issue: Door locks will not open. There is no manual lock on the doors, only electronic. No place for a key. Passengers have been locked inside with no way to exit vehicle except to climb over seat. Will happen to various doors, most often the front passenger door, but not all doors at the same time (we believe this may happen, ) door lock will click 3 times but will not unlock.

- Warren, OH, USA

Mar 092015

Escape

Was driving 25 miles an hour down small hill, the car in front of me stopped. I hit the brakes and the car didn't stop it felt as if I was pushing the accelerator like when pushing button! to speed up cruise control and it slowly increases speed. I slammed both feet to the brake and went to reach for emergency brake but never made it. I hit the other car. Last thing I remember is hearing metal crunch, the next thing I remember is smoke, top of my head on left side hairline ached looked in mirror and saw blood. Started looking for my phone on the dash but it was broken.could hear someone talking, then people were walking up to car. When the officer got there he asked what I hit my head on I didn't know, he asked if I had my seatbelt on I said yes. I told him my car wouldn't stop. Realized when E.M.T asked same question I knee I had it on but couldn't remember taking it off, and I told him that. He looked at chest didn't see marks or bruising, he asked again if I was sure, I was sure I put it on. After crash, when got to tow yard next day saw my seat belt broke, I cracked the windshield with my head and broke all under steering wheel with my knees...but the airbags deployed must have been after I hit everything because it hit me in the arm only based on that stinging red raised rash that later bruised on my forearm, no airbag to face injuries, just hit top of head on windshield and knees on lower dash under steering wheel, bruising on stomach lower abdomen near pelvic bone may have been steering wheel. My car kept going faster brakes didn't slow me at all witness said and my seatbelt latch is in pieces, my airbag went of late. My bumper is folded like a flat piece of metal about one inch wide hit it pushing it into my radiator. My SUV was going 25 miles an hour, my SUV bumper hit a small car bumper, that car was stopped. What went wrong?

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Mar 062015

Escape 4-cyl

The throttle will stay open as if I have the gas pedal being applied.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Jan 122015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that after setting the cruise control at 75 mph, the vehicle started to accelerate independently. The contact was unable to deactivate the cruise control and stop the vehicle. The contact applied the accelerator pedal several times in order for the vehicle to stop accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the plastic piece covering the throttle body fractured. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V353000 (vehicle speed control) but the recall remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 7/21/15 the dealer replaced the part. Updated 07/28/15

- Van Buren, ME, USA

Nov 142014

Escape

On three previous occasions throttle stuck on high when stopped or in park while parking vehicle. After googling information on possible causes I found a complaints already filed with this issue. Ford acknowledged recall number 12S37. When I contacted my local Ford dealer Saturday morning 11/15/2014 with this number they where unaware, and found no reference this issue. Please assist.

- Ft. Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 122014

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated abruptly and the rpms increased. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact examined underneath the hood and noticed there was an electrical component that was burned on the driver side of the engine compartment. When the contact depressed the accelerator pedal while the vehicle was in the park position, it shut off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure only occurred once. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

2004 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to cruise control cable recall notice. The consumer stated she received a recall notice, in 2013, and the part is still not available.

- Camden-Wyoming, DE, USA

Mar 232014

Escape 6-cyl

Had speed control on, when to slow down, stepped on brakes cruise control light came off but the car didn't slow down it speed up! I did have a recall call done on the car for this. But the fix didn't work. The car speed up to 90 mph. I had to take it out of gear to slow the car down. I did everything I could think of to stop the car from speeding up. Stomped on the brakes, push the cruise control button on and off. Towed the car and the repair guy said there was snow in the cruise control casing, that was causing it. He disconnected it.

- Coralvilee, IA, USA

Mar 032014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle will not decelerate. It is ok when you first start it, but the first time you push the accelerator and let off it will not decelerate. You must hold the brake. If you let go of the brake it will surge. Very dangerous.

- Loudon, TN, USA

Mar 032014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle will not decelerate. It is okay when you first start it, but the first time you push the accelerator it will not decelerate. You must hold the brake. If you let go of the brake it will surge. It is dangerous to drive.

- Loudon, TN, USA

Feb 072014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving, the throttle stuck. Applied the brakes, but vehicle was difficult to slow and tachometer indicated high engine speed. Shifting to neutral, the engine rpms put the needle in the red beyond the gauge. After shutting off the vehicle, and opening the hood the problem did not persist, but returned after driving again.

- Avoca, NY, USA

Feb 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Well, my Ford Escape 2004 ltd edition had issues slowing down. I had used the cruise control intermittently and noticed that the vehicle continued as if cruise control was on even after I braked hard and cancelled the cruise control. I shut the vehicle off and tried turning it back on. When it started back up, the vehicle revved to 5,000 RPM in under 5 seconds. I did this twice with the same effect. I brought it in to my Ford dealership. They said there was no recall (although now I see them all over the internet). I got a call back after this whole ordeal that the right rear wheel well had completely rusted through and that the shock was not attached to anything. This seems to be a common trend with these vehicles, but there are no recalls. My dealership is bringing it to an auto body shop today. I am expecting a $3,000 repair now.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jan 282014

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the cruise control would not disengage when applying the brakes, causing the vehicle to accelerate to 85 mph independently. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral and was able to slow the vehicle down. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was advised that the cruise control malfunctioned due to extreme cold weather. The contact stated the vehicle was remedied under NHTSA campaign I.D. number: 12V353000 (engine and engine cooling, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Orange City, IA, USA

Jan 072014

Escape

Driving down road and the rpms on my 2004 Escape jump up. So I try to slow down and car keeps accelerating. Throw car into park because brakes wouldn't slow it down. Ever site I read says it is the accelerator cable. Supposedly this was replaced by dealer while in for air bag indicator light repair in December 2012. Under recall. Now when I start vehicle rpms jump, and get burning smell from motor. Cars rpms jump while driving down road also. Battery and alternator were replaced in May 2013 but since they were replaced battery indicator light is dimly lite upon accelerating. I have spent a fortune on this vehicle and every time I turn around it needs more work. I also after getting battery and alternator replaced had to put a new throttle body component in because motor was racing to 3000 rpms while in park or while foot was on break. Please help. I am scared to death to drive this vehicle like it is. Can not afford to put anymore money into it either.

- Milford, DE, USA

Dec 162013

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated while traveling approximately 80 mph, the vehicle continued to accelerate although the accelerator pedal was not depressed. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA recall campaign number 12V353000 (engine and engine cooling, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 012013

Escape

2004 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle accident and safety recall notice. The consumer stated the vehicle was totaled. She believed the accident, was due to the safety recall.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA