Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 15)

Mar 222015

Escape 4-cyl

Have found the right rear strut mount almost rusted away and the left side is on its way. I hear there is a recall for 2001-2004 for this and from all the complaints I see on-line this should include 2005-2006 and unless they did something to actually stop this, even later years should be included. If a person hits a chuck hole this could cause a bad accident., I see a lot of people can't even drive their vehicles. I have owned many older, vehicles including a 1995 Ford Taurus I traded in on this Escape that didn't have this problem.

- Edwardsburg , MI, USA

Mar 152015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear driver side wheel well was corroded. The contact mentioned that a thumping noise emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The contact stated that due to the failure, the struts were exposed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Unionville, IN, USA

Mar 132015

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the freeway I hit a small bump in the road and heard a loud clunk from the right rear area. I wasn't sure what it was and was within 5 miles of home. The rest of the trip home every time I came to a small bump's the clunk was getting worse. I looked in the right rear fender well and noticed the whole area around the right rear shock is completely rusted out.

- London, OH, USA

Mar 102015

While driving the car, whenever we would hit a bump of any kind the passenger side rear of the car made a horrible rattling/banging noise. I took it to the dealer and they told and showed me where the part that connected the shock to the wheel well had pretty much rusted away and was no longer safe to drive. The service writers and the body man all said this is a very common issue with this year and model. They conjectured that since we get snow in pittsburgh the roads are salted. Since the roads are slanted to the right to help drainage, that side is bathed in salt water. However I am also developing rust on the outside edge of the body panel on the opposite side. Why then is this not happening to other model years" since it is not drivable I have had to schedule the repairs. At the time of the repairs I am going to have the car completely gone over by the dealers mechanics and body man to validate the condition and document any further required repairs. This is a total engineering screwup by Ford and they should be required to recall all of this model and year and either repair them at no cost to the owner or reimburse the owners who already had to have the repairs done. Do people have to die before action is taken? is no one held accountable for their actions in today's society"

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 082015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, a loud noise emitted from the rear end of the vehicle when the brake pedal was depressed. The failure recurred whenever the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and they informed that the rear of the frame was completely rusted. The vehicle was currently being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 135,230.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger side wheel well was corroded and deteriorated. Also, the contact mentioned that the shock mount fractured. The contact stated that the failure caused the shock mount to puncture the trunk. The contact stated that there was a loud noise each time the vehicle drove over a bump due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician performed an alignment and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Jan 292015

The right rear shock plunged through the right rear wheel well (rusted away) and rattles at low speeds. Steering pulls to left and shakes.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Aug 012014

Escape 6-cyl

I noticed a loud banging in the rear passenger side of the vehicle, and discovered that the inner wheel house was completely rusted out around the shock mount. It became undriveable and completely unsafe, and I was forced to repair the area. The Ford certified replacement part cost me around $130, and the service to repair it cost around $880. Approximately 3 months later the driver side started to make the same sounds, and was beginning to rust out the same as the other side. I also repaired this side, to a cost of $650, also using a Ford certified part. Now not even 2 months later, both certified replacement parts are beginning to split apart due to the force of the shock that is attached to this flimsy metal. The truck has become unsafe to drive, and I'm being forced to purchase a new vehicle. I've been reading around the internet, and this issue for extremely common on this year of the Ford Escape. I am astonished and disgusted that Ford will not make it right on part of their customers.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jul 172014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, he heard an abnormal noise that came from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the rear fender well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Feb 022015

Had rear shocks replaced on my 2005 Ford Escape and was told that mounts for the shocks are rusted out. The shocks are detached from the frame due to poor design by Ford. The car is not safe to drive as the shock bounces into the rear interior when moving. There is a recall from 2001 - 2004 Escapes but not 2005! for the exact same problem!

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Aug 302014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that there was extensive rust on the rear wheel wells. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the rear wheel wells needed to be replaced and may potentially fracture due to the corrosion, which was affecting other components within the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Schererville, IN, USA

Nov 052014

Right rear wheel rusted apart and shock absorber is not attached any longer. The car is not drivable to safety concern.

- Ingleside , IL, USA

Jan 062015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving at an unknown speed, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger side wheel well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Dec 012014

• 1,753,500 miles
The entire passenger rear wheel well is completely rusted out & is no longer safe to drive; possible steering control. 2001-2004 Ford Escapes in the "salt belt" states were recalled for the exact same reason.

- Bay Village, OH, USA

Dec 222014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I heard a loud banging noise coming from the right rear area of my car. Upon inspecting underneath, was dismayed to see the body of the car by the tire crumbling with rust. Apparently the banging is from the shock absorber having broken thru the wheel well, and is now hitting the back hatch area. Also, during an oil change, the service company removed a bracket that holds my exhaust in place. Upon inspecting that bracket that was just hanging there and rattling, saw a chunk of car attached to the bracket. They said that it looked like the underneath of my care had not been sprayed with rustproofing when manufactured. I still owe money on this car, and cannot afford to exchange charge or get repaired. Have had Ford cars most of my life, and I am extremely disappointed that Ford is not addressing this issue with the 2005 models. This is my only car, so I don't have much choice but to drive it, even though it is not safe. Luckily, I only have a short distance to travel to work. Ford needs to step up and take responsibility for this poor design.

- Parma, OH, USA

Dec 312014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

We noticed a rattling/banging noise coming from the right rear of vehicle, my wife rode in the rear seat and could feel the shock mount hitting against the back of the interior trim panel. Looking into the wheel well, we could see where the wheel housing had completely rusted out, revealing the interior. The upper shock mount can be wiggled by hand. Today 12/31/2014, I went to see my "friends" at our local Ford dealership, the service writer said I was in "luck" as he remembered researching the same issue for another customer. He found a diagram with the replacement panel & wheel house, part# 7L82-7827886-a, with a list price of $150, then we went to talk to another "friend" in parts, he said that the price had recently increased and now listed at $700. They offered to have me talk to another "friend" in sales, but I informed them my wife refused to buy another Ford, and if we were to buy a new vehicle it would be a Toyota. With that said, my "friends" suggested to unload (trade) it at a Toyota dealer. They also informed me our 2005 Ford Escape was "unsafe" to drive. I went to our local body shop to get his recommendation. He said, they had just done one, in 10/2014 for just under $900 and he got the part from my "friends" at the dealership for $120. In apparent disbelief he called our "friends" and they confirmed the price increase. We searched online and found many 7L82-7827886-a for $20-$180, after ordering from several different vendors, each vendor cancelled the orders for various reasons; unavailable, part number change and is more expensive, due to the size and fragile nature we are unable to ship, not available, etc. What is Ford's objective with this price increase " ? " there was clearly a defect in manufacturing, craftsmanship, and/or materials, that created this severe defect in safety of the 2005 Ford Escape ! ! !

- Poynette, WI, USA

Dec 292014

I had my car inspected today and had them look at an issue of a banging sound I was hearing in the back passenger side area. The mechanic found extensive rust and rot in the rear passenger side wheel well and the strut was almost ready to come off. The mechanic commented he has seen this issue several times with this model. I see that Ford recalled 2001 to 2005 model years, but not the 2005. From doing research there are numerous complaints from 2005 owners. I keep my car washed and always make sure to wash salt off in the winter. My mechanic recommended that I not drive the car because it was unsafe because the strut was ready to come off and could cause the tire to bend outward. How can Ford not recall this year with all the obvious complaints concerning this issue? my daughter drives this car and imagine her going 65 on the highway and the tire bends! an investigation needs to be conducted for this model year since this has been ongoing issues with rust and rot in the wheel wells with previous model years. The issue was never corrected a, no continued past model year 2004.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Dec 262014

Beautiful, well-maintained 05 Ford Escape - rare 5 speed manual, 4 cyl, AWD. Always garaged and cleaned. Opened plastic bin in rear compartment, passenger side, to store tools. Noticed small cracks and daylight in wheel well. Just below and behind shock mount. Applied light pressure. Entire section pushed through. Completely rusted away. Held in place only by rubberized undercoating. 119K. Based on all these complaints, same location, same event, I consider myself lucky it didn't fail while I was driving. I'm going to show the dealer tomorrow. Curious what his reaction will be. My guess is sympathy but nothing to do about it without Ford supporting the dealer.

- Freeport, ME, USA

Dec 172014

While driving my vehicle, I heard a loud thumping noise in the back. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the passenger side rear wheel well was rusted through the body of the storage area. It appears the shock is in danger of coming loose.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Dec 032014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Rear passenger side was making loud noise when driving over any type of bumps, holes, thought it was the shocks but it was the shock tower was rusted out and needs repaired. $1400 to repair, this is a common problem on the Ford Escapes and there is no recall at this time.

- Rock Island, IL, USA