Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 15)

Dec 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle has severe corrosion in the driver side rear wheel house. The corrosion has allowed the left rear shock absorber to fail to effectively dampen the suspension movement (its purpose). The problem is very prevalent on Ford Escapes, Mercury mariners, and Mazda tributes. For NHTSA to determine if this is truly a safety issue, your will need to secure a 01 - 06 Escape, remove one rear shock absorber (worse case for the failure of my vehicle) and drive the vehicle on a rough road. Please hang on tight when doing so. The failure of the body around the mounting point of a critical component of a suspension system puts the general population at risk as they share the roads with the Escape/mariner/tribute drivers. This is a safety issue that results in failure of state safety inspections and cannot be ignored by the government Agency which is charged with preventing manufacturer safety defects from endangering people on public roads. This defect is very well document on the protect and serve! me and others on the road....not Ford Motor Company.

- Montoursville, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Heard thumping noise on passenger side rear. Took it to check it out and wheel well completely rusted out and unsafe to drive.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Nov 262014

I was driving my 2005 Ford Escape when I started hearing a banging noise coming from the passenger side rear of my vehicle. After a few days the banging got louder and my Escape seemed to be hitting hard in the back like my shock wasn't working. Which my husband had changed them about 3 or 4 months prior so I thought that was odd. After driving her today and the banging getting worse I had my husband look at my back fender wall. When we did we seen it completely rusted out. I can touch the inside of my car. But the worst part of this is that is what holds my shock in place and it is all gone. I came inside frustrated and decided I would see if there are parts to fix it before my shock decides it is going to go for a free ride and destroy everything under there. To my surprise I have not found a fix nor a recall but I did find numerous people having the same issue. This is a safety hazard and no one seems to care. I am very surprised that no one has made Ford recall the Escapes and fix this issue. Can you imagine if I was on the freeway going 70 mph when this broke and the damage it could do to not only my Escape but my family, myself, and other drivers if I lost control of it because my shock is no longer attached to my SUV? I am very disappointed in Ford and everyone else that is in charge of recalling vehicles. They have put my family, me, and all the other drivers on the road in danger and no one seems to care. Maybe I should buy a Toyota because at least they recall their vehicles and fix them when they have an issue. Ford does not seem to care about anyone's safety.

- Jonesville, MI, USA

Nov 012013

Rear wheel well totally rusted away and shock was banging when tried to find part from junk yard all 2005 Escape had rusted off wheel wells the other side is now going to do the same the car was not drivable. Had just done many repairs was planning on keeping it but now it is not safe to drive seems to me this should be a recall if it is happening to many Escapes of this year can anything be done this has been a good running car until now this problem is a real safety hazard.

- Antioch, IL, USA

Aug 192014

Complaint one: Excessive rusted passenger side rear wheel well and strut mount, strut mount broke away. Complaint two: Rusted engine cradle caused passenger side front half shaft to separate from center of the car causing the to stop moving foreword and loss of steering.

- Cazenovia, NY, USA

Nov 252014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Severe rust right rear shock tower unsafe to drive.

- Mount Clemens, MI, USA

Nov 122014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Severe rusted out rear wheel wells causing the passenger rear shock to break. Called Ford and they stated no recall for 2005 just thru 2004 and they could not do anything. Still owe money on this vehicle and not sure what it is going to cost for large repair. Needs to be recalled. Look up this google and you will find tons of this.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 132014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

The passenger side rear wheel well on this Escape is completely rotted. A large piece of the body in the wheel well has broken away (around 8X8) with the shock attached. The large piece of metal has been bouncing in and out of the indoor storage compartment. I now have no shock absorption on that wheel. I have noticed numerous other people that share this problem with this vehicle. Ford has refused to assist them with their problem. I will be taking this vehicle to a local Ford dealership with the demand that this be fixed at a reasonable price, considering the large number of people that this effects.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Right back shock came through wheel well and broke through interior of car. Car is in excellent condition with no rust.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 272014

Severe rust in the passenger side rear wheel well- where the shock mounts. Shock is about to push thru the rust into the inside of car. Rust was disguised by undercoating by previous owner or dealer. Loud noise when going over bumps, etc. Unsafe to drive.

- Greenville, MI, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 65 mph, a loud snapping noise was coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the inner quarter panel and the passenger side wheel well were rusted and corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Freeman, MO, USA

Oct 092014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Had my 2005 Ford Escape in for service and mechanic stated that there is severe rust on undercarriage and rear wheel wells. Mechanic stated that the car will not pass inspection because of this safety issue and that the rear shock mounts are rusting through. I contacted Ford and they stated that only the 2001-2004 models are covered under the new recall and to keep my receipts for any work I have done to fix it. I am the original owner with no accidents and under 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I have researched this problem and have read hundreds of people with the same problem..

- Ridley Park, PA, USA

Oct 242014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the rear passenger side inner fender wheel well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,800. The VIN was unavailable.

- Emeigh, PA, USA

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I began to hear a thumping sound from the passenger rear side like something was loose. It turns out that the wheel well is rusted through and the shock absorber is in danger of breaking loose which could cause further damage and make the vehicle difficult to control.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 162014

I was driving down the street when I noticed a banging noise coming from the rear of the car. When I parked the car and investigated I realized that the passenger side rear wheel well was rusted out. My shock is not longer attached to the car and every time I hit a bump it slams into the car.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 012013

We were driving our Escape on city roads when all of a sudden we heard a banging noise coming from the right rear side of the vehicle. After inspecting what was causing the noise, we found that the shock had completely went through the interior of the car. We can see the pavement from the inside of our trunk. We have been noticing an enormous amount of similar complaints for this problem and would like to know why there hasn't been a recall yet. We have always bought Ford cars because they have been safe for our family, however, we may have to reconsider next time. We still have not had the issue fixed and cannot drive the vehicle.

- Saline, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Right rear wheel well has on my 2005 Ford Escape has rusted completely through. The shock absorber is banging against the inner interior molding when the vehicle goes over a bump. There are large holes in the passenger compartment and the shock absorber is about to separate entirely from the wheel well leaving the suspension on the right rear side of the vehicle compromised. The wheel well on the left rear of the vehicle is in tact.

- Woolwich, ME, USA

Jun 012014

During a move in which we were towing a trailer, we noticed the right wheel well was rusting out pretty bad when we could see straight through to the ground from the storage compartment for the electrical connectors. About 8 months later, driving back from a camping trip I started to hear a repeating "thud". my fiance and I couldn't figure out what it could be. I called my mechanic and as soon as I started to explain the sound and where it seemed to be coming from...he knew what had happened. His brother who also had an Escape had just had the same issue. The right rear wheel well had continued to corrode and rust, causing the shock to break. He referred me to a place that did the necessary repair/welding. They re-molded the well and replaced the shock. A $750 job. Said that they had several...I think they said at least 6 Escapes in for the same thing just in the last two weeks.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 012014

The right rear wheel well is all rusted out and the mount for the shock is barely attached. This is suspect because no other wheel wells on the car have corrosion like this.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Oct 052014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While traveling approximately 30 mph, the rear passenger side shock fractured and punctured through a rusted hole into the rear interior of the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the underbody was rusted, the rear shock was rusted on the rear passenger side, and a large hole near the rear wheel well was present. The contact removed the rear shock, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Sord City, PA, USA