CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 252016

Escape

I was pulling out of my grandmothers driveway and heard a loud banging noise. Once getting out and inspecting I noticed on the back right passenger side it was rusted out and the shock mount was detached. Why are there no recalls with all the compliants? some people can't afford $1,500 repairs on a car when the manufacturers used bad undercoating.

- Marshville, NC, USA

May 162016

Escape

Travel North on southfield service drive the truck speed up I got it to stop before hitting a truck a head of me. The light change crossing grand river making a right on to fenkell the truck speed up again under able to stop. I hit a truck in the rear I was hospitality over night.

- Details, MI, USA

Jun 072016

Escape

Bought used the vehicle intermittently would stall, put in neutral it would crank right up and idle fine, until you put in gear and it would stall out, wait awhile and it would run fine, and it might go 2,3 or 4 weeks and not stall. Now it will not go at all, cranks up put it in gear and it is like it is not getting fuel and stalls out. I have had it to some repair shops and they can not find any problem, but I have one mechanic telling me it is the torque converter and might as well redo transmission also. I am disabled and a veteran on a fixed income and depend on my vehicle to take me to my doctor appts, grocery store, church etc. So any help or information on this issue would be greatly appreciated, also I don't know if it makes any difference but my father worked for fmc for 48yrs.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

May 272016

Escape

My Ford Escape limited has a random problem with the shift lever button not engaging from a parked position. It's nearly impossible to make the button push in to select a gear (R, N, D). Also, the ignition switch will not release the key after vehicle has started and I've arrived at destination, put the vehicle in "park." I have to struggle for several minutes to get it to finally release the key. Otherwise, I have had to leave the vehicle with the key in the ignition. It's been like this for the past year or so (especially on cool/cold mornings). Stereo system has a mind of its own. Press any button and it will go into "load a cd" mode. Why"???"

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

May 052016

Escape

The passenger side rear wheel well rusted out causing the strut to break through the trunk of the car. It also have bad rust on the other side wheel well. This happened while I was driving on the hwy. Upon taking it to an auto body shop was told the vehicle was unsafe to drive.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 072016

Escape

The rear window of my 2005 Ford Escape XLS just exploded today around 2:30 P.M. I had arrived about 2:15 P.M.at mcdonalds restaurant. I was sitting with a friend when an employee came into lobby looking for the owner of the gray Ford Escape in their parking lot. I said, "yes it is my car." Employee then came and told me that the "rear window of my car was broken all over the parking lot. I went and saw what happened. I have not opened the rear gate or window in over a week. All I did was park it and in 15 minutes of being inside of mcdonalds the windshield exploded. I have read where other people with Escapes & mariners have been having this problem for year. Years older than my 2005 and as new as 2014 & 2015. Is their a recall that Ford is fixing this problem, as they obviously have known about it for years. Please let me know who I contact to be reimbursed for my expense of replacing it. Deborah smith 330-330-1001 or D.eborah_martinelli@yahoo.com

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Apr 222014

Escape

Airbag light is yellow. Was told my airbags will not inflate in a accident. The unit that controls the airbags also controls the locks on the doors. The doors no longer lock on take off. Doesn't warn you that the front passenger isn't seat belted in. The unit is under the console and is hard to replace so I was told and would cost me over $500. Which I can't afford. I feel it is a safety issue that should be covered by Ford Motor Company. I was told not enough owners are having a problem with this therefore it isn't a recall issue.

- Remus, MI, USA

Nov 242015

Escape

Heard a noise near rear wheel house. Upon inspection it was discovered that the wheel house on the passenger rear was completely rusted to the point that the shock was just barely hanging on. The repair would cost more than the vehicle is worth. Lots of complaints on same issue that Ford refuses to address or correct. Should be compensation and/or a recall. Also looks like the same thing is happening to the other side. Nice job Ford!

- Homestead, FL, USA

Nov 282015

Escape

On Nov,28,2015 9:15am me and my two year old daughter were heading to New York city on I95 North bound when my car starting making weird sounds the vehicle started to slow down as I was driving on the highway I wasn't able to move the vehicle because the gears was not working properly I was able to pull over to the right side of the highway to see what was the problem I tryed to put the vehicle in park but it didn't let me the vehicle started going in the wrong direction it want backward I put my foot on the brake but it continue to move in roll backwards I had to pull the safety brake three times for the vehicle to stop moving.

- Union, NJ, USA

Aug 232015

Escape

Was driving along city street when I went over a small bump, heard a loud thud! the wheel well on back passenger side was rusted away where the strut connects. Or where it was once connected... 155,673 miles, this is my only vehicle and unsafe to drive my family in.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Sep 042015

Escape

Every morning the car alarm suddenly goes off until I press key fob. It happens routinely from 5 to 8 am and 8 to 9 pm. According to the internet, there are many Ford Escape owners who have the same issue. You can search it by "Ford Escape alarm goes off". this is really annoying not only for owners but also for their neighbors. Although this is not critical safety issue, this is absolutely manufacturer's defect.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Sep 222015

Escape

Right rear wheel well rusted out so bad the lower control arm to the rear tire is close to separating from the vehicle subframe. Car unsafe to drive

- Pewaukee, WI, USA

Jul 012015

Escape

This vehicle was maintained regularly... there were no leaks/ no burning....no warning...the oil magically disappeared...lucky we were only traveling local and and a low speed. Simply put...the engine blew/ceased with research I have found many owners having the exact same problem. I was am shocked at the sudden engine failure and that others have the same issue, means we didn't do anything to cause this problem.

- Manahsset , NY, USA

Sep 092015

Escape

A week ago I began to have a rattling in the right rear of my Escape. After tightening down and removing anything from the interior of the vehicle that could be "thunking", the noise continued to get worse. I investigated further and discovered that the right rear wheel well had completely corroded and the shock had broken free with a large chunk of what used to be the wheel well/frame. I began researching for a recall notice and found that Ford minivans from 2004-2007 also had wheel well rust problems that resulted in a recall...but nothing for the Escape. My mechanic said it should not be driven until fixed because it is a safety concern. I further looked at complaints from other Escape owners (at least 50 posted on line) and have learned that this exact same right rear wheel well corrosion on the 2005 model is common, dangerous and expensive to repair (my estimates range from $1000 but the frame shop will not commit until they begin work on it- they did state that this is not a new problem on Ford - they have repaired others). Ford seems to be dismissive to those who have approached them, stating there is no recall so there is nothing they can do. Is anyone looking into this?

- Richfield, MN, USA

Aug 012014

Escape

Every morning for the past year the car alarm is triggered and goes off for approximately 2 mins or until I press the "alarm" button on my key fob. It happens routinely at approximately 9am-10:30am every morning. When researching online what the possible cause is, I saw that there are multiple owners of Ford Escapes from years 2005-2007 that are having the same issues. Many people have stated that it is a faulty door sensor that is malfunctioning. Some people reported spending upwards of $800 to get the problem diagnosed and then faulty sensors in various doors replaced. Although this is not a life threatening "issue" it is highly inconvenient to myself, and the neighbors in my area where the vehicle is a constant source of annoyance. As there are so many people reporting this exact same issue, it is clearly a manufacturer defect.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jul 312015

Escape

Sub-frame rust problem. There was a recall on 2001 to 2004 Ford Escape for this problem. Ford Motor Company has recalled Escape crossovers from model years 2001-2004 in states that use a lot of road salt. In affected vehicles, part of the car could suffer damage from rust and even lose steering control.

- Ambridge, PA, USA

Jul 252015

Escape

While driving I hit a pothole and the rear shock tower broke away from the car due to excessive rust.after doing reserch on this I have found that isn't an uncommon thing with this year and make and model of car but nothing is being done about it. No recalls nothing and of course its not an easy or cheap fix and my insurance at least will not cover it cause it was mechanical and didnt happen in an accident. So now I will have a car I can't fix but still have to pay forand cant drive. I would love to post the pictures of the damage but I'm unable to do so cause I would love for you to see the danger this is causing.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 272015

Escape

While driving in livonia, Michigan out of no where my sun visor burst, getting glass on me, but more important it burst on the seat where my toddler daughter usually sit. There was no one around and no truck where an object could have dropped something on my car, I had to take the car to avis Ford in southfield, Michigan. They told me to take the car down the street to avis body shop. I filed an claim with my insurance company, and it is being fixed now. I want Ford to be notified about this. Because from what I hear, this is one of many instances that has happened with a sunroof on an 2005 Ford Escape and other Ford cars. This is dangerous! my wife has just had major surgery. And there were many runs for her that I could not make because of this. Please investigate. Thank you. And be blessed. (pastor) marcus cylar-consumer

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jul 222015

Escape

I was washing my Ford Escape when I noticed there was rust on all of the doors on the inside I just bought itand checked the carfax it said there was no rust and it looked liked a new car until about three week of haveing it and now I'm founding rust on the all of thee doors and on one of the wheel well I checked online by going to google.com and putting in 2005 Ford Escape rust and found a lot of people haveing problems with rust some of them even say they can see the inside of there Escape and Ford will not recall it and it cost a lot to fix. Some cost more then the value of there Escape

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Jun 032015

Escape

Noted at a local car repair shop that my passenger rear inner fender is rusted so bad that the metal where the shock is attached to is coming away. While driving on bumps, am now hearing loud clunking sound and no longer driving the vehicle for fear of the shock falling off. Car shop stated that they've seen 12 Escapes come through their place with the same issue on the same side that were 8-10 years old.

- Champlin, MN, USA