CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 19)

Apr 012015

Escape

I had been hearing a large clunk on my passenger side in the back. At first I thought it was my shovel hitting. However, I finally really took a look at the entire back and wheel and notice it completely rotted under and even broke through my trunk. I took it to 3 different shops and was told it was the suspension/shock that has rusted and rotted away. It wasn't suppose to do that. I have a welder pricing it out because both other garages said they couldn't fix. I feel completely unsafe driving thinking the car could go flat out anytime. The car is in really good condition otherwise, and from the sound of it this is a common problem among 2004 and 2005 Escapes. If this keeps happening someone is going to get hurt. And it should be Ford responsibility to fix.

- Media, PA, USA

Apr 012015

Escape

While driving down the road going approx. 40 mph, I heard a loud noise from by back passenger side tired. I immediately pulled over to see what caused the noise. Upon inspection, I noticed the wheel well that supports the back shock was completely rusted. The shock had broke through the rusted wheel well and was pressed up against the inside interior of my car. The rest of my wheel wells are in fine condition. When I researched this problem online, there are many, many customers that have had this exact problem with 2005 Ford Escapes. It is only the rear passenger side. This needs to be researched and corrected before someone gets hurt.

- Clay, WV, USA

Mar 032015

Escape

I was driving and began to hear a loud noise I stopped and looked, the fender well had fallen half way off. It was rusted all the way through. I had to call a tow truck and still cannot use my car because I cant afford to replace this part. Shouldn't Ford be responsible for this it is a flaw in the body.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 302015

Escape

I was driving home from school when I started to hear a loud cluncking noise from the rear passenger side. I came to find out that it was completely rusted out and that's what was making all of that noise. I have only had this car for 6 months and I have no idea what I am going to do if this is a problem no one can fix! I've been reading and a lot of people with the 2003-2007 Escapes are having the same issue! this needs to be fixed!!

- Palatine, IL, USA

Feb 162015

Escape

The right rear wheel well and shock mount is completely rusted out. When I bought the vehicle used, I drove it and heard a slight clunking somewhere in the rear end of the vehicle. I thought maybe the shocks were bad. I continued to drive it, hoping to replace the shocks. Recently the noise became very loud and disturbing. I looked at the shock area and discovered the whole area on the right rear wheel well and shock mount are rusted through and breaking apart. The left side is fine. I am afraid to drive it this way and believe it is an unsafe condition. I looked up the problem on the internet and found a multitude of the same problem with other owners of 2005 Ford Escapes. To my knowledge, Ford will only fix 2001-2004 Escapes, but not 2005. Why not? it clearly is a defect in material and workmanship. It has rusted prematurely and causes a hazardous safety situation. If this was an isolated incident, I would understand. But from what I have learned, it has happened to all 2005 Ford Escapes.

- Melrose, WI, USA

Mar 222015

Escape 4-cyl

Have found the right rear strut mount almost rusted away and the left side is on its way. I hear there is a recall for 2001-2004 for this and from all the complaints I see on-line this should include 2005-2006 and unless they did something to actually stop this, even later years should be included. If a person hits a chuck hole this could cause a bad accident., I see a lot of people can't even drive their vehicles. I have owned many older, vehicles including a 1995 Ford Taurus I traded in on this Escape that didn't have this problem.

- Edwardsburg , MI, USA

Mar 172015

Escape

The rear passenger side wheel well rusted out where the shock attaches. The shock assembly is now just loose and rattling. Looking online, many many people are experiencing the same failure on 2004, 2005, and 2006 Escapes. This makes the vehicle unsafe to drive.

- Saint Clairsville, OH, USA

Mar 132015

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, we hit a bump in the road and almost immediately there was a loud banging noise. Upon inspection, I found that the rear right wheel well was completely rusted out. The shock strut is now loose and banging against the car's frame, the tire and the interior of the rear cargo area. I've been researching this online and notice that this is a rather common problem with other Ford Escapes in the midwest. It is always the same complaint, rusted out wheel well on the rear passenger side. Someone need to investigate Ford because this is too common an issue and is clearly a design flaw. Repair for this issue can run up to $2,000.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Dec 252014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving at various speeds, a loud noise emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the shocks were corroded through to the wheel well. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Mars, PA, USA

Mar 022015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down street and ran over rough spot in pavement and heard a thump from the back of the vehicle. Next day drove over railroad tracks and there was a loud banging noise. I checked under vehicle at right rear wheel opening (passenger side) to find most of the wheel well rusted and gone from the shock mount location to the rear most part of the wheel well. The bucket or bracket that mounts the top of the shock absorber to the wheel well and chassis is just floating in mid air. When I look through the side compartment in the back of the vehicle I can see the top of the tire and the pavement and shock absorber.

- Egin, IL, USA

Mar 102015

Escape

While driving the car, whenever we would hit a bump of any kind the passenger side rear of the car made a horrible rattling/banging noise. I took it to the dealer and they told and showed me where the part that connected the shock to the wheel well had pretty much rusted away and was no longer safe to drive. The service writers and the body man all said this is a very common issue with this year and model. They conjectured that since we get snow in pittsburgh the roads are salted. Since the roads are slanted to the right to help drainage, that side is bathed in salt water. However I am also developing rust on the outside edge of the body panel on the opposite side. Why then is this not happening to other model years" since it is not drivable I have had to schedule the repairs. At the time of the repairs I am going to have the car completely gone over by the dealers mechanics and body man to validate the condition and document any further required repairs. This is a total engineering screwup by Ford and they should be required to recall all of this model and year and either repair them at no cost to the owner or reimburse the owners who already had to have the repairs done. Do people have to die before action is taken? is no one held accountable for their actions in today's society"

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The rear right upper shock mount felt off so there is no where we can put the shock. Therefore, it has a big hole on the fender well that you can see the inside this is something that should not had happen plus on the left side you can see rust cracks in the fender well and continues to the upper shock mount. I think this is something that the company has to address and fixed it because it is a safety issue.

- Genoa, IL, USA

Jan 152015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger side wheel well was corroded and deteriorated. Also, the contact mentioned that the shock mount fractured. The contact stated that the failure caused the shock mount to puncture the trunk. The contact stated that there was a loud noise each time the vehicle drove over a bump due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician performed an alignment and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Jan 292015

Escape

The right rear shock plunged through the right rear wheel well (rusted away) and rattles at low speeds. Steering pulls to left and shakes.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Feb 022015

Escape

Had rear shocks replaced on my 2005 Ford Escape and was told that mounts for the shocks are rusted out. The shocks are detached from the frame due to poor design by Ford. The car is not safe to drive as the shock bounces into the rear interior when moving. There is a recall from 2001 - 2004 Escapes but not 2005! for the exact same problem!

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Feb 092015

Escape 6-cyl

Passenger side rear wheel well has rusted through compromising the connection to the strut.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Jan 232015

Escape

Driving less than 30mph-hit a manhole cover and heard very loud bang in back of car. Discovered inside rear passenger side wheel well completely disintegrated. Shock barely holding on. Still waiting on estimate to fix. Based on the other over 100 complaints of the same nature, not going to bother calling Ford.

- New Brighton, PA, USA

Dec 242014

Escape

I was traveling at 60 mph on a highway interchange. I hydroplaned, lost control of my vehicle, and hit a guard rail with the front driver's side head on. My vehicle bounced off the guard rail, traveled backwards, and hit the guardrail on the other side of the road on the driver's side rear. The car spun 90 degrees and came to a rest with the passenger side against the guard rail, opposing highway traffic flow. The airbags did not deploy, despite a 60-mph collision. The suspension, wheel, and shock fell off in the collision.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Oct 302014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger shock fractured without any warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who indicated that the failure was not rust related but rather that there was a manufacturer defect with the drive train. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V165000 (structure). The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Jan 032015

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling approximately 35 mph, the rear passenger side shock punctured through a completely rusted out rear wheel well on my 2005 Ford Escape. The car is undrivable and the auto repair/body shop quoted me $3,000 to repair this. I contacted Ford and they stated that only the 2001-2004 models are covered under a recall for this exact same problem. I have researched this problem and have read hundreds of people with the same problem..

- Kenosha, WI, USA