2008 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 182013

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

I put my car in reverse to back out of my sloping driveway onto a very narrow and busy hillside residential street. With cars coming down the hill past our driveway it is especially critical that I have an operational braking system. When I pressed on the brake pedal there was no response and I went shooting out into the street. I had the car towed to a nearby repair shop that I frequent for most service appointments. They got in the car to test drive it and had no problem whatever with the brakes. They put an electronic scanner on the engine and it reported that there was one or more problems in the braking system although the test drive went fine. They said that with the scanner message that was reported, I would have to take it to a Ford dealer. I have made an appointment with same and will have the outcome in a couple of days. None of that really matters at this point because I now have a car that is not safe to drive, let alone have someone else drive it. From all of the similar, if not exact, incidents I have been reading about on the web it does not sound likely that the dealer is going to find a definitive answer as to what is causing this problem. Furthermore, that car is useless to anyone else so what do I do with it.

- Corte Madera, CA, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the ABS and the brake lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the master cylinder had to be replaced in the hydraulic system. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 139,000.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Jul 072011

Escape 4-cyl

While driving at about 40 mph, my car unexpectedly applied the brakes itself, without me touching the brakes at all, rapidly bringing the car from 40 mph to about 5 mph. Luckily, I was driving on a back road with no one behind me, so there was no accident. In order to move the car out of the way to somewhere safe along the side of the road, I had to shift down into first gear and almost floor the gas in order to fight against the heavily applied brake system. Once out of the way, I called a tow truck and had the car repaired at a local garage. The garage fixed the problem by replacing a broken "tone ring" on the car - a toothed ring around the axle that the ABS system uses to measure whether the wheels are slipping. A crack in the ring had widened the gap between two of the teeth, making the ABS computer go haywire thinking that the wheels were slipping. Since then in 15000 additional miles, I've had all three other tone rings brake, causing similar situations to different degrees. I've been told by multiple mechanics that this problem is common on the Ford Escape, and that the tone ring - despite being highly exposed to the elements on the undercarriage of the car - is made out of very corrodible material and they see them break all the time. My experience affirms this observation, and highlights a very dangerous situation that could easily be fixed by Ford using more robust quality materials to make the tone ring.

- Boston, MA, USA

Mar 102013

Escape 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space at a speed of < than 5mph and suddenly the vehicle sped up out of control to a speed of 40-50mph tried to mash brakes to the floor, but vehicle continued jumped a fence and hit a huge tree off in a ravine. Two men were watching as the car sped up and ran to pull me from the wreckage after the crash, I was pinned in on the driver side, I suffered multiple injuries.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 102013

I pulled into a parking space at around 5-10 mph, hit the brakes and the accelerator pedal stuck. The car took of at around 40-50mph jumped a fence and crashed into a ravine, hitting a big tree. I was pinned in the automobile hit my head and injured my leg. I was taken to the emergency room where I suffered a spinal cord injury and a huge hematoma on my left leg.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 232013

Escape 6-cyl

During lunch hour slowed to make a right hand turn and brakes seemed to lock and grind. Steering wheel vibrated and the ABS and traction control light came on. Attempted to accelerate and the car seemed to be locked up for a few seconds. Vehicle behind me almost hit me due to vehicle failure. Lights would not go off for about 1 minute after accelerating to about 25 mph. While driving about 10 more minutes they illuminated several more times. During drive home the same thing happened 3 more times and always when slowing to make a turn and then attempting to accelerate again. Now ABS light won't go off at all.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Mar 122013

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph and decelerating, the engine suddenly seized then stalled. The ABS band and skid control warning lights illuminated. The engine was turned off for fifteen minutes and then restarted but the computer reset itself and showed no failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated the ABS band needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified who stated to contact NHTSA and file a complaint. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Webster, MA, USA

Feb 062008

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact approached a stop sign and when the brake pedal was depressed there was a delayed response with the traction control and ABS warning indicators illumination. In addition, there was a loud grinding noise and after repeated attempts the vehicle came to a stop. The engine was turned off and upon restarting the vehicle resumes normally. The failure occurred five different times. The vehicle was taken to a authorized dealer who were unable to perform a diagnosis unless the malfunction was actually occurring. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Sernandina, FL, USA

Nov 012012

Escape 6-cyl

My third Ford and again right front ABS ring cracked and had to be replaced.

- Dighton, MA, USA

Sep 122012

Escape 6-cyl

Right front ABS tone wheel is cracked found during oil change. My understanding this is a very common problem...

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 312012

Escape 4-cyl

I was coasting down a hill with a slight downhill slope without my foot on accelerator and was approaching a stop sign. In preparation for stopping, I started applying the brake. When I pressed the brake pedal, it went to the floor and made a clicking sound- almost as if the antilock brakes were activated. The vehicle did not stop immediately but slowed until I got to the stop sign.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Aug 312012

Escape 4-cyl

After making a slight left turn, I was coasting down a hill with a slight downhill slope without my foot on accelerator and was approaching a stop sign. In preparation for stopping, I started applying the brake. When I pressed the brake pedal, it went to the floor and made a clicking sound- almost as if the antilock brakes were activated. The vehicle did not stop. I turned into a parking lot immediately and the brakes began working appropriately again.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Jul 062010

The steering wheel pops when turning. When the weather is cold the brakes won't push down. Battery goes dead if not driven daily. Radio wont play after replace battery that was dead.

- Albany, GA, USA