2008 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 062016

Was driving the vehicle and after applying the brakes. The ABS warning light came on, plus the information display indicated "check brake system" and "regen brake disabled". I was still able to brake, but needed to apply more pressure to stop and there was a new noise when I depressed the brakes. I took the vehicle to my local Ford dealer, after the technician had checked the vehicle they indicated that I needed a new hcu unit and the estimated cost was $5,200+

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Jul 122016

A 2008 Ford Escape hybrid with only 33,585 miles was purchased on 06/02/16. The brakes were not working so I took it to a Ford dealership. They bled the brakes which made them work. A 20 year old girl was driving this vehicle and the brakes went completely out again only after 16 miles from Ford doing the repairs. She almost wrecked but managed to control the vehicle and pull off on the side of the road. She could have seriously gotten injured or been killed or killed someone else. The Ford dealership towed the vehicle to the dealership at no cost and inspected the vehicle. They are now saying it will cost approximately $4600 to repair this vehicle in order for the brakes to work properly. This is a huge safety hazard putting many lives at risks for serious injury and/or death. There are numerous complaints about the hybrid braking system defects. Ford should be responsible to issue a recall on this defect immediately and be responsible for the repairs to this braking system at no cost to the owner. Most individuals and especially a 20 year old girl cannot afford a $4600 repair. She should have a safe, dependable, and affordable vehicle.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 102016

ABS and traction control lights came on. When braking, it took longer to stop and was like you were stopping on ice. When starting out again, it took awhile for my vehicle to accelerate again and I had to pull off the road until it could start again. I had my daughter and granddaughter in vehicle. This presented a dangerous situation as it impeded braking ability plus the hesitation with the acceleration could cause an accident

- Dagus Mines, PA, USA

May 202016

I was coming to a stop sign and almost rear ended someone as the ABS light and brake lights lit up on my dashboard, along with "service brake system". my foot went right to the floor to stop the truck. This continued to happen till I went to the dealership where I was told this is common and requires a $ 6000 new hydraulic control unit. Also I was told that you still have brakes just NÉed a lot more pressure. I'm not only one with this complaint. Very dangerous when you lose all brake pressure. This happens more often now and every time I restart the car it goes away and all works well till next time.

- Burr Ridge, IL, USA

Oct 242014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). After the vehicle was repaired under the recall, the vehicle experienced several failures. The failures included the loss of anti-lock braking system, stability control, and the brake warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed; however, the mechanic was unable to retrieve a fault code on the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,412.

- New Iberia, LA, USA

Mar 072016

ABS break light came on with a message that says reneg brakes disabled. Car bucked and lost breaking ability. Was able to get car to dealership where I was told that the ABS/hcu needed to be replaced and the repair would cost $4,800. Car cannot be driven as it cannot stop safely. This happened while the vehicle was in motion, and according to the mechanic at Ford, it was not caused by normal wear and tear.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled, lost braking and steering ability, and crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The contact stated that several warning lights illuminated momentarily. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but did not help, claiming that there was no indication of vehicular malfunction. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Aug 112015

When vehicle suddenly makes a hard stop and brakes; it looses brakes momentarily yet returns to normal after 1) pumping several times or 2) cooling off. No signal or warnings.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 032014

When I would try to accelerate whether from a stopped position or already in motion my gas pedal sticks. I'm unable to press it down and I lose speed. Each time I press the gas pedal or brake pedal I hear a pop. I was trying to merge onto the highway and it suddenly wouldn't let me accelerate for a few minutes. This is very dangerous and frightening. It also does this if I'm already in motion of if I try to accelerate from a stopped position. I fear for my life and the life of my family. I take my husband to work an hour away, this is terrifying and unacceptable. I also Transport my children to their jobs and schools. Please help before someone gets killed.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Sep 082014

The ABS braking light came on and the brakes locked. We were able to get the vehicle home, however, after inspection by the garage we found the hcu was defective as well as the master cylinder. Total expense to replace was $7,000, the car is only worth 6,000

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 242012

The ABS light and tracking light comes on dashboard indicating a problem. When I go to stop there is this tracking resistance when apply brakes. Fords dealership tells me the right ABS ring is cracked on the brakes. Got fixed, now this has happened 2 more times, once on left side and twice on right side. When I had to stop suddenly the brakes feel like they don't work and make this tracking noise as like when you are on ice. Very scary, my car now has 145,000 miles this last time. How long does it take Ford to make a recall on this part, my son says that the water gets up in it and causes it to rust and crack. I'm sure I am not the only Ford Escape 2008 with this problem.

- Petersburg, MI, USA

Mar 012015

Escape 4-cyl

The check brake system light is on and ABS light on also. I drove it around the corner and brakes are very spongy and not fully responsive. I do not trust driving with this situation.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 142015

Approximately in March of 2014, we had an issue with the ABS light coming on and traction control coming on for no reason at all. This made driving/steering extremely difficult. We took it to the shop where the tone ring and speed sensor were replaced. In December 2014, we had similar issues and we took it to the Ford dealership. We were told it was a speed sensor issue again. The work was done at the independent shop though since they did the original work. Yet again, in January 2015 we were experiencing the same issues again and had the car towed to the shop. The left front speed sensor was diagnosed as the problem. There is obviously some sort of failure that is occurring to trigger this issue. If you do a google search, there are several complaints similar to mine. I believe this should be investigated for a possible recall. This is crating a safety issue that can lead to accidents.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

May 052014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving at an unknown speed, the brakes failed without warning. The contact stated that the failure recurred frequently. The dealer stated that the esb system and the master cylinder needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 202014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. When the contact started the vehicle, the ABS, traction control, brake, and service engine warning lights illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) and felt that the recall remedy was the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000. Mailed out 01/13/15

- Rehoboth Beach, DE, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the ABS and the traction control warning lights illuminated intermittently. In addition, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact also stated that the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the driver and passenger side axle and axle assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 91,259.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

Oct 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Approaching a stop sign on a hill, I hit a rough patch in the street and my brakes failed to the point I had to frantically pump them to not roll straight into the intersection. For the next three or four days, any time I braked, the pedal would depress almost to the floor while very slowly decelerating the car, I often had to pump the brakes to build some pressure in order to stop. Clearly an ABS failure, it seemed to "fix itself" after those few days. Now again, 10/23/2014, hit a pothole pulling into a driveway and the brakes are doing the same thing. Googled the problem and read about broken tone rings (similar complaints about loss of ABS), but no lights illuminate when it happens. I need to take it in, but I know the dealership will give me the run-around and try to charge me an arm and a leg for something that's clearly a manufacturing defect.

- Pacheco, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was turning right on a stop light and front left ABS tone ring broke. Car slipped gears and would not accelerate for 5-10 seconds. Rsc light and ABS light came on briefly. Car continued to do this randomly and ABS brakes were activated when braking at low speeds. Issue is with tone ring on many Ford Escapes from 2000-2008. Rings often break because of excessive rust build up on Ford components causing expansion. Part is constructed very poorly and as a result safety is compromised and service repairs profit goes up!

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jul 232014

While driving my front wheel drive Ford Escape on a trip the ABS and stability control lights both came on. This did not initially cause any problems with normal braking while driving in dry conditions. At the end of the trip the ABS system activated on every stop, significantly reducing stopping distance on dry ground. My investigation found the following: Rusting of the driveshaft surface apparently caused outward pressure on the inside of the front right ABS tone ring resulting in it separating in one spot. This probably created a error in the monitoring by that ABS sensor resulting in the lights coming on. The ring may have held fast to the rust under the remainder of the ring during most of my trip causing no other problems. Near the end of my trip the cracked ring appears to have shaken free, slipping on the rotating driveshaft surface. This may have made the sensor think the wheel was not turning and applied the ABS to that wheel each time the brakes were applied. The danger then became increased stopping distance on dry ground and unknown performance on slippery surfaces. In checking around, this appears to be a common problem and the other ring will crack eventually due to similar rusting. Repairing this requires the ring to be replaced and possibly the driveshaft section it is mounted on.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Aug 062014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the ABS light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bronx, NY, USA