2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Nov 182014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the power steering failed and no warning indicators illuminated. The failure had recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque system was faulty. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available. ## VIN failed ## 2008 Ford Escape ##

- Mentor, OH, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. When stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle vibrated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact also stated that the vehicle reversed independently and caused the contact to shift into park in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 142014

Escape

Pursuant to the 2014 recall on my vehicle, I took my 2008 Escape to be serviced. Upon information and belief, the torque sensor module was reprogrammed to prevent the loss of steering. Said service was performed on October 1, 2014. On November 14, 2014, the vehicle lost complete control of steering while driving with my young child, three hours from home. After having the vehicle towed to the dealership that performed the work under the recall, I was told we were responsible for the repairs, despite the mechanic admitting and agreeing with us that it was an issue that should have been fixed under the recall. The mechanic's hands were tied as Ford would not authorize the work to be performed on the company's expense. The estimated price of repairs is $1600. The mechanic also told us had we not brought the vehicle in as instructed by the well publicized recall and the steering failed, it would have been covered under the recall. The recall states, "alternatively, the dealer may need to replace the torque sensor or the steering column. This service will be performed free of charge (parts and labor)". Ford indicated by phone that this only applies to the first visit. Any subsequent visit for a recall issue is the owner's expense. Ford's misrepresentations in its recall notice and subsequent actions are unfair and deceptive trade practices, not to mention an extreme safety issue and danger to consumers who believe not that their vehicle is safe to drive after being serviced by the recall.

- Milton, MA, USA

Nov 202013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My wrench light came on, feels like I have no power. It will only go about 20 mph, RPM's go high and then all of a sudden it will kick in and start driving normal.

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 102014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Difficulty shifting from gears. Throttling high before shifting. I have replaced transmission three times in this vehicle.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Nov 132014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Throttle body actuator system failure. Surging, unnecessary revving at low speeds. Inconsistent acceleration and gear change. Trouble code "P2112 throttle actuator system stuck".

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 262014

Escape 4-cyl

I was traveling at the posted speed on North bound ih 35 just North of georgetown. I removed my foot from the accelerator to slow briefly to evade and pass a slower moving vehicle - instead of slowing, the engine revved. I stepped on the brake and the car slowed, but the engine continued to rev. I noticed a wrench warning light in the dash and called my daughter to help me with it. My son-in-law said it was a powertrain fault warning. I pulled off at the next exit, turned the car off and waited 10 minutes. I restarted the car and the light went off; so, I continued my trip home resuming and maintaining highway speed; but the rpms stayed @ 3000. At the ih-35 East-West split, I decelerated to make the turn toward dallas and the engine revved to 5000 rpms and stayed between 3K-4K for the rest of the trip. The gears change really hard and the engine revs really high until it drops into O/D; but rpms stay between 3-4K. I took it to an independent repair shop and was told it is a gear-ratio issue and I need a rebuilt or new transmission overhaul.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 012012

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the engine revved and the wrench warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The consumer stated the vehicle lost power steering while driving. She was able to pull over, and re-start the vehicle. The power steering failure occurred between may and November 2012. The consumer then received a recall letter in the mail, regarding an issue with the power steering. The dealer informed the consumer, she needed to get prior approval from Ford. Updated 12/15/14 updated 01/12/15

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Oct 192014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving with the transmission in overdrive the wrench light was activated and I noticed no change in speed but noticed a very large change in the tachometer from 2000 RPM to 4500 at that time the car just started slowing down until I took it out of O/D and just continued on my way. It seems like it is something in the transmission that is causing this problem.

- Plymouth, PA, USA

Sep 292014

Escape

As I would take off the vehicle seemed to jerk really hard when switching gears and the wrench light came on.I had someone run a test and it said it was my transmission and after researching my friend found a recall on this and read several others are having the same issue.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 102014

Escape

Vehicle won't shift into 2nd gear until reaching 3500 - 4000 rpms. Can let off gas to ease change, else vehicle jerks into 2nd.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 092014

Escape 4-cyl

While normally accelerating from stop, vehicle reached 4000 RPM then shifted very hard, driver and all passengers experienced a jolt. The vehicle was taken to a shop for diagnosis. The diagnosis revealed codes P0732 & P0734 - cd4E transmission. The shop manager explained that the vehicle has transmission issues in both gears 2 & 4 and that the transmission needs to be replaced/re-built. An "identifix - direct hit" document was provided showing 60 confirmed fixes regarding transmission replace/rebuilds on 2008 Ford Escapes under the same issue. Upon review of the NHTSA website, I am seeing multiple investigations and complaints regarding the same/identical issue. Please consider issuing a recall on these vehicles for this concern as I am currently facing a repair bill over $3000 on a vehicle that I purchased less than 8 months ago.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Oct 082014

Escape

Yesterday while driving with my two young children my car would suddenly accelerate causing my car to lurch forward faster than I was anticipating. Then today the same thing although today the wrench symbol showed up having me look up in my manual what this meant. I then looked online (having no car knowledge to see what this meant) and find out other people are having similar problems.this is a scary situation when I usually always have my kids in the car. I feel Ford needs to fix this problem when so many people are jabbing the same problems.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Oct 022014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 40 mph, the transmission failed to respond and revved until the engine increased to 4 rpms. The transmission jerked when shifting gears and the wrench warning display illuminated continuously. The dealer stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Brockway , PA, USA

Jul 232014

Escape 4-cyl

The transmission went out and had to be replaced. Vehicle has been well maintained and this should not have happened.

- Smithfield , NC, USA

Sep 052014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle surged forward when I came to a stop vehicle would not go into gear until I was at 3500 -4000 RPM. I got on freeway &couldn't get to speed limit. The wrench light is illuminated & when I looked up description in manual it states it is the throttle control/powertrain.after doing some research they do have recalls for this but on the 2009-2012 models. It also specified that Ford as of Feb. 2014 had issued an extended warranty for throttle body assemblies for 2005 - 2012 for 10 years or 150,000 miles. I contacted Ford & then state there is no recall nor consumer satisfaction program 13N03 for my car. Yet, the have the same consumer satisfaction program for the 2011 Milan. This I know cause my daughter has a 2011 Milan & she received notice. I do not understand how Ford can not comply when this Escape clearly has the same problems as the recalled vehicles for 2009-2012. All I was told was to get it fixed & keep receipt and maybe some day could get reimbursed. This is really frustrating and on Ford's part totally unaware and unfair to their consumers!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 132013

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated the transmission was slipping and failed to shift into gear when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Pennington, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Escape 4-cyl

Two days ago, I was driving on the highway and suddenly, my gears started slipping. I was driving 45 mph and then my car decelerated to the point where I could no longer accelerate. This made it very difficult to get back home and I feared that I would be at risk for a crash. Immediately the next morning, I brought my car to a Ford dealer and they diagnosed the problem to be with the transmission. My options were to fix one band or the entire transmission. Upon doing research about this issue, I found that many other Ford customers had experienced the same problems with their 2008 Ford Escape's transmission.

- Bedminster, NJ, USA

Aug 102014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While accelerating to get onto the highway, I noticed the engine was revving but our speed wasn't increasing and it seemed as though it wasn't going into gear. Finally once it did shift the wrench indicator light came on. After taking it to the repair shop to have it evaluated I was told that the bands for 2nd and 4th gear were busted and I'd need a new or rebuilt transmission installed. I won't ever buy another Ford after seeing all of the other reports on this and knowing that they aren't issuing a recall to fix this problem. This can be real dangerous if someone is coming at you and you can't get out of the way fast enough! I'm taking the loss and trading it in on something more reliable.

- New Market, MD, USA

Aug 022014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway when my car suddenly wouldn't drive. I pressed the gas, but it wouldn't go. I limped over to the side of the road. My wife and children were in the car, but fortunately they were not hurt. After about 5 minutes, I was able to drive it to the exit (a few hundred feet). This seems like an incredible hazard - one that Ford should fix! I can tell you this, I will get the car fixed to where it can be driven, but I will never buy a Ford again. Ford has put my family at risk and won't do the right thing.

- Long Beach, CA, USA