2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Feb 092015

Escape 6-cyl

My car feels like it's jerking into gear. If started off only jerking when I would be at a corner and I needed to make a turn. The car would move very slow and then mum forward. This is very dangerous because any cars coming could possible hit me. After a while it would also jerk when I was stopped at a light and needed to pull off, the car would move forward slowly and then jerk forward. Now the jerking is happening while I'm driving. Is there something going on with this vehicle? I am scared that I'm going to get hit one day.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Mar 022015

Escape 4-cyl

We have had throttle body problems since 2008. Ford dealer replaced it once in 2008. Throttle body sticks and you can't push the gas pedal down. This happens the first 5-15 min of starting the car.. it happened on 3-2-2015 while trying to cross a highway, could not push gas pedal down. We just about got T boned ! also we have had the transmission replaced at 114000 miles. Dealer says we have transmission problem again and the throttle problem again.

- Smithfield, NC, USA

Feb 112015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Backing into parking spot car started to surge and stop. While attempting to get car home it started surging and over revving. When stopped it would not move. Pushed off the road. Restarted and revved hard and was able to get it home. Now you put it in gear, engine revs, then decels to 800 RPM and will move some.

- Minford, OH, USA

Feb 092015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Escape would not shift gears when it hit 20 mph it stalls when going from a stop position. Rpms would jump up during this time until it finally does kick into gear. Took to mechanic and was told the 2nd and 4th bands on the transmission are faulty and need transmission rebuild. There is a tsb out for this problem but this is a safety issue and should be a recall. Mileage is at 101,000 miles. Having your car not accelerate from a stop position puts the driver and other drivers at risk.

- Bennington, NE, USA

Feb 032015

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle made a loud clinking noise and the transmission seized. The contact lost control of the vehicle. The service vehicle warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission was faulty. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 4/15/15 updated 03/09/16.

- Zion, IL, USA

Jan 232015

Escape 6-cyl

After the recall on the power steering for the 2008 Ford Escape we have had numerous issues. Moses Ford of St. Albans, wv said the computer must re-set. At 7:30 a.M. on 1/23/15 the power steering went out. Ford Motor Company states we must pay for all repairs even though a problem has existed. Was told that some cars had to have complete system replaced because of problems. This comment was made when I contacted Ford Motor Company. The computer was just re-programmed on mine.

- Poca, WV, USA

Jun 302014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and a loud noise was made and the vehicle stopped running. Had car towed to garage and the 2nd and 4th bands were destroyed. The transmission was rebuilt. It took 1.5 months to complete the work. Now here I am again sitting along the highway with the same issues 2nd and 4th bands destroyed and the engine mounts destroyed this time. It has only been 7 months and 6,526 miles later and I have to put another transmission in the car. There is a serious problem with these transmissions.

- Princess Anne, MD, USA

Jan 102015

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

It feels as though the car is pulling to drive forward. And a puttering effect.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Jan 052015

Escape

We were driving to work and noticed that the car was not shifting at all. We got about a 1/2 mile and a wrench-like light appeared on our dash. I got out the owners guide and looked it up and it said it was the throttle control/power train.

- Ridgeville, IN, USA

Dec 092014

Escape

Transmission slipping. No 2nd or 4th.

- Independence, MO, USA

Oct 012014

Escape 6-cyl

The condenser is combined with power steering and transmission. This vehicle should not of had a leak as it only has 28311 miles on it. This is bad for ground water as fluid leaks goes on street and into storm drains. Cost to fix is about $700.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 282010

Escape

I own a 2008 Ford Escape, in August 28th, 2014 as I was coming off the highway and stopped at a light my vehicles wrench symbol came on and as I tried accelerating my vehicle went up to 45 RPM before changing gear into second. Since this day, I tried taking my car into repair services but I am very limited, as a full time student and a father at the moment I was not working and relying on my school income which was not a lot to repair my car. The car has gotten worse since then, instant of going up to 45 RPM in order to change into second gear it sometimes goes up to 60 RPM before changing, not only that but as I slowly break my car suddenly speeds up forward, like a boost which I need to firmly apply my breaks again. I've tried taking it to Ford, but so much for help or willing to work with me, it is disappointing when we purchase our favorite vehicles and get turned down by the company knowing we are in need of help. My car consumes gas, every other day I have to fill up it to keep it from completely running low, in a day it consumes half the tank, with the second day my gas is nearly done. I went from spending 120-30 biweekly on gas to 120 every two days, add it up especially as a full time student. I am a father of two in which I freak out when I have them in my car. I've came to realize I am not the only one that has this issue, I've seen a serious amount of complaints about 05 to 13 Ford Escape models. There is no recall for fixing the problem which leaves many of us helpless. Ford does not treat their customers well. Ford is the definition of poor customer service. The transmission is going out, if that is the case how the hell do I and others come up with $4200 to replace my transmission having two children. I am pinned against the wall and there isn't anything I can do, if this isn't a cry for help, then I don't know what to do, please help.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 072014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into second and fourth gears. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Nov 102014

Escape 4-cyl

My car doesn't take 2nd or 4th gear. It's a faulty transmission. There are numerous complaints all over the internet with Ford Escape owners once this car passes 100, 000 miles. Ford has not done a recall on this. I think it is unfair that consumers have to pay for a new transmission when Ford know there is an obvious defect.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Oct 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle hesitated when engaging the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the transmission. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Sharpsburg, MD, USA

Nov 292014

Escape

I own a 2008 Ford Escape a couple of days ago coming off the thruway I started to apply my breaks to slow down, instead of slowing down my vehicle sped forward on its own, I had to firmly apply the breaks to make it stop just barely avoiding hitting the vehicle in front of me, right after that a yellow wrench came on the dash.then the vehicle would not go higher than 20 miles, the car was basically coasting.when I try to give it more power it would just stall.I had it towed to my local Ford dealership and had to pay $100 to see what's wrong, they tell me my 2nd and 4th gear is gone and I have to have my transmission replaced. A Ford rebuild transmission would cost me over $4200, a junk yard transmission $3800, called aamco they said $2200 I bought this vehicle in 2011 with a little over 34,000 miles, it currently has 58,300 miles on it, now in 3 yrs I have driven this vehicle less then 25,000 miles.meaning around 8,000 miles if that a year.so why in the world do I need a new transmissions? I learned there was a serious amount of complaints about these Ford Escapes 2005-2013 models all with this same issue, instead of Ford doing a recall and fixing the problem, they settle on a customer satisfaction program, but instead of them including all the vehicles with this issue, they only do it for the 2009-2013 models. I talked to someone from the Ford Motor Company and they said my car wasn't eligible for the customer satisfaction program cause its a 08, what difference does it make on the year its the same issue as all the other Escapes.now is that fair if there's other year models out there now experiencing the same issue.this is a known issue with these vehicles and Ford should be responsible in fixing the problem.now I have a vehicle that I cant drive and have to wait to get up the money to fix. I will never purchase a Ford vehicle again if this is how they treat their customers.

- Troy, NY, USA

Jun 152012

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle would not shift and made a noise. This was the first time which involved first and reverse gears. That time the vehicle was covered under the warranty. This time my wife was driving when the car started to make a funny noise. She pulled into a parking lot and called me. When I got there and started the car the noise I heard was very bad coming from under the car. The car was towed to our Ford dealer and was checked. Now we are being told that the transmission and cooler needs replaced at a cost of almost $5000. The car now as 62000+ miles and not under warranty.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Nov 182014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the power steering failed and no warning indicators illuminated. The failure had recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque system was faulty. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available. ## VIN failed ## 2008 Ford Escape ##

- Mentor, OH, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. When stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle vibrated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact also stated that the vehicle reversed independently and caused the contact to shift into park in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 142014

Escape

Pursuant to the 2014 recall on my vehicle, I took my 2008 Escape to be serviced. Upon information and belief, the torque sensor module was reprogrammed to prevent the loss of steering. Said service was performed on October 1, 2014. On November 14, 2014, the vehicle lost complete control of steering while driving with my young child, three hours from home. After having the vehicle towed to the dealership that performed the work under the recall, I was told we were responsible for the repairs, despite the mechanic admitting and agreeing with us that it was an issue that should have been fixed under the recall. The mechanic's hands were tied as Ford would not authorize the work to be performed on the company's expense. The estimated price of repairs is $1600. The mechanic also told us had we not brought the vehicle in as instructed by the well publicized recall and the steering failed, it would have been covered under the recall. The recall states, "alternatively, the dealer may need to replace the torque sensor or the steering column. This service will be performed free of charge (parts and labor)". Ford indicated by phone that this only applies to the first visit. Any subsequent visit for a recall issue is the owner's expense. Ford's misrepresentations in its recall notice and subsequent actions are unfair and deceptive trade practices, not to mention an extreme safety issue and danger to consumers who believe not that their vehicle is safe to drive after being serviced by the recall.

- Milton, MA, USA