2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Sep 252016

Escape

I put my 2008 Escape in park, removed the keys from the ignition and exited the vehicle. I walked approximately 60 yards and was informed by a bystander that my vehicle was rolling away. The 2008 for Escape rolled approximately 200 yards down hill into a tree. I went to the vehicle and the gearshift was now in the "R" position after striking the tree. I know there was a recall for such a problem on certain Ford Escapes. According to Ford my VIN number was not included in the recall.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Aug 152016

Escape

I purchased my 2008?Ford Escape last year 2015. I have replaced both cv axils on each side and I had my steering column replaced. I purchased the car with 95,000 miles on it at a great deal of $8,900. I then found out why it was so cheap from such a trusted dealership. The dealership was closing in the next 2 weeks. It closed shortly after my purchase and a new Ford dealership opened in its place. Through out the last few weeks my car has not been driving correctly, especially on the highway. I took a closer look and noticed that no matter my speed my car will not go above 3rd gear. My power tran light came on today. I have read on other sights that there were recalls on this issue. I do not think these issues were fixed while being recalled. The related I've done so far have not been cheap by any means. After a year (even less 2 of the above cases) I should not be having these issues. M.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Escape/2008/recalls/ the above sight was my reference tara

- Minerva, OH, USA

Jul 252016

Escape

Have to force the key into the ignition really hard and turn the key many times before the vehicle will start.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 122016

Escape

Vehicle power train light came on. Vehicle began to shutter then lose power on the highway without a shoulder. Vehicle reduced speed to max 20mph.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 312016

Escape

Truck is accelerating and switching gears on its own. While at a traffic light, a wrench light pops on and the truck begins to switch gears. Once the truck is turned off, the wrench light goes away but returns after driving begins again. Truck is not getting enough power when driving as if it is going to shut off. There are also jerking motions while driving.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 012016

Escape

The mecs coolant pump fails without warning causing the DC-DC inverter and hybrid drivetrain to instantly shut down without warning at interstate speed. You get the red triangle and stop safely now with the engine turned off leaving you to coast across 4 lanes of the interstate to get to the shoulder. You must completely stop and put it in park before the car will restart. This is such an important hazard to life and limb that there needs to be an immediate recall. This is a well-documented problem that Ford knows about. Online it says they recalled them but the dealer said that they did not recall them. If you touch the brake with the engine shut down the car comes to an immediate stop automatically in 3 seconds. Leaving the interstate traffic to veer around you. Mine failed intermittently last summer. Now every hot day the car just turns off on the interstate 5-6 times a day. Someone is going to get killed over this. It needs an immediate recall to avert a loss of life. I checked my coolant pump and it is not functioning. The recall I see says they are removing the dorman brush rotor pumps and replacing them with Bosch brushless rotor pumps. The hybrid drive only fails at interstate speed when it is a warm day. The car started doing it last summer when it had 70000 miles on it. It is no longer intermittent but occurs daily now.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

May 042016

Escape

When starting to accelerate from a traffic light, the engine raced to over 4K rpms and the car was barely at 20 mph. No acceleration and the wrench light was lit on the dash. Rpms randomly fluctuated and only after reaching 3,500 rpms would the transmission shift gears. After shutting the engine off and restarting the wrench light is gone but returns after a minute. 105,000 miles.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Apr 242016

Escape

I notice about a week ago that a wrench light signal came on my dash. I checked my owners manual and google the information and then I check to see if there was a recall. I can feel my car doing a pull when I try to accelerate and when on the freeway I am not getting not power it seems like I am moving slower than what my speedometer says, I see that there has been a recall for this issue but not for my VIN number. I guess I don't understand how centain VIN # an be excluded from a recall but you have the same issue. This is the same thing that happen about 1year ago to my power steering there were recalls but not for my VIN. I was out $1000. Now I have I have get this fixed and my mechanic can not do it because he said something about you need a computer and I need to take back to Ford which is going to cost and arm and a leg. I am so done with Ford I have always had Ford cars/trucks but I am at my end with them.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Apr 252016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While at a stop and attempting to move forward, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked before moving forward. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 118,888. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 132016

A wrench warning sign.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 122016

Escape

Transmission - the service wrench dash light came on and the transmission started to shift badly. A quick trip to the Ford service center indicates that gears 2 & 4 need to be replaced (at 71,000 miles). Ford has issued a tsb on the problem, and there are multiple posts on the internet concerning this issue. This needs to be upgraded to a warranty recall as it does effect the safety of the vehicle.

- Allen, TX, USA

Apr 052016

Escape

2008 Ford Escape failed to accelerate while making turn into traffic. Examination revealed significant leak of transmission fluid from transmission fluid cooler resulting in "slippage" of transmission. Investigation of issue found that leakage was a cracked tube at right hand mounting bracket of transmission fluid cooler. This condition is covered by Ford csp 09B10, but had not been brought in for mitigation by previous owner. Ford has expired csp 09B10 as of August 2010, even though the condition appears to be a certainty (based on abundant internet commentary) relatively early in mileage life of vehicle (my Escape has very moderate mileage). Rapid and unexpected change in transmission performance is a safety issue, and should be subject to appropriate recall as opposed to a "fix-it" bulletin. Ford has indicated that they will not provide remediation of this problem.

- Clinton, TN, USA

Apr 082016

Escape

Wrench light appears on lower left dash. Car has a difficult time getting into gear. Slow to engage, though high RPM. Happens while in motion. Or taking off from a stop.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 042015

Escape

Transmission will not go in drive only go in drive two one and reverse.

- Crivitz, WI, USA

Feb 082016

Escape

The steering wheel motor is not working

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 182016

Escape

Truck has 87,000 miles, riding down the road tranny not shifting properly, almost causing me to hit another car when I tried to accerlate.took to shop, transmission needs to be replaced. My god you got to be kidding me.terribly designed SUV. No more Ford for me.unheard of.

- Essex, MD, USA

Nov 202015

Escape

At approximately 134,000 miles while driving on the highway, my car suddenly drastically slowed down quickly, started revving really high and the ┐wrench light┐ came on. This almost resulted in getting rear-ended by the car that was traveling behind me on the highway. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealership for an estimate. Was told the transmission was missing 2nd and 4th gear and the transmission would need to be replaced. Was told by Ford that the cost would be $4,200 to replace the transmission. The band for 2nd and 4th gear broke, sending the vehicle into limp mode (only using 1st and 3rd gear). I found this is a known issue as there are many complaints about this as well as a tsb (#tsb-12-4-8). After further research, I have discovered that this is a common issue with all Ford family vehicles that have the cd4E transmission. I have owned Ford vehicles for over 20 years and have never had this issue. Ford knows that this is a common issue but refuses to assist their loyal customers with a solution. While talking to a Ford service technician about this, I was told that Ford knows about the issue but refuses to do anything about it, leaving the customer to pay to replace something that Ford knows has issues. Does it really take someone to get injured or get killed in order for something to be done about it? if feel that Ford should pay to have the transmission replaced or provide a significant discount if the customer must pay for the replacement.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Jan 272016

Escape

After depressing the accelerator the vehicle RPM's increase but the vehicle speed will not....almost as if the throttle is "sticking." This occurs while the vehicle is in motion.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Escape

Slipping when it goes from third to fourth gear

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Feb 122015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While parked, the vehicle leaked fluid. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was leaking fluid and would need to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer where it was confirmed that the transmission was leaking fluid and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Antonio, TX, USA