9.0

$1,261.00

2. replace power steering column (26 reports)
  3. shut down engine and restart (13 reports)
  4. replace torque sensor (9 reports)
2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 032016

Escape LX V6

I HATE THAT THE REPAIR COST ALMOST MORE THAN THE VEHICLE IS ACTUALLY WORTH HELP

- , Euclid, OH, USA

Feb 162016

Escape 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

power steering failure

It's very annoying when you just had service done and received a perfect report, then two weeks later the damn steering is so damn tight it feels like she is trying to turn the wheel when driving.

- , philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 232016

Escape XLT 3.0L

I had this shake in the wheel and it started moving on its own making a rattling noise. Then today a new thing came on where it tells you how many miles you have for gas until empty and it popped on Power steering assist fault. I drove it around Plattsburgh NY and it was fine. Got it to Advance Auto and had them check to see if there was a code. But there was no code.

I called a car place to have it checked and when I went to bring it there I had hard steering and couldn't get it to to steer. So I had to call a tow truck that cost$88.00 just 3 to 5 mins away.

I am going on 3 years with this car and I have had nothing but problems including wheel bearings and can't get out of this car/ I feel this is a defected car like other people complaining about it. I got a recall on the steering thing and brought it in and they changed it but now I am having problems with my steering and for them to check it it would be like a $100.00.

- , Keeseville, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Escape 4 cyl

This problem has been going on for the last week, low speed turns, failure of power assist to return wheels to straight ahead. They will return but with some effort, not automatic as normal. I had the software tweeted on recall 2 years ago. I did a lot of research on the net and it appears to be a common problem with this model with electric steering. I went to my mechanic and no codes are in the ECU. I went to my friendly Ford dealer and it was just as the net said. They want a $100+ diagnostic fee, there is no recall coverage. There are only two components, the assist motor on rack or the torque sensor in the steering column. $500 to $1500 repair. It's the first year the electric assist was used and looks like we are the Guinea pigs to trouble shoot the bugs as the cars age.

If Ford has the diagnostic computer to read the computer why do you have to pay the fee then the outrages fees on repairs. It's probably because folks run to their local mechanic and dodge the Ford repair. I only go to the for warranty and recalls anyway. If I could afford their rates I wouldn't be driving an 8 year old car.

- , Bridgewater, MA, USA

Feb 222016

Escape XLT 4WD 3.0L V6

I plan to visit my Ford dealer tomorrow and have a "candid" conversation. This is Round #2 concerning a problem that was supposed to be fixed in 2014. *Separate report will give further details. I am afraid to drive my Escape because you never know when or where you will lose your power steering. I had a close call in 2014 before Ford issued a recall to solve the power steering problem! Only the laundry knew how scared I was!

- , Montrose, CO, USA

Dec 122015

Escape XLT 3.0L

I took my Escape to the dealer on 12/12/15 for a recall about they had to update the electronic power steering unit so they did after four hours of having it. So a few weeks late, I start to feel play in my steering wheel and hearing popping noise in the steering column. I find out that the intimated steering shaft knuckle was going bad, so I had it replaced today ($195.00).

I drive home and then was about to leave and was backing out my driveway when I notice that it was so hard to turn the wheel. I took it back to the garage when I had the knuckle fixed and he hooked it up on the computer and told me about the recall and I informed him I had done the recall and had nothing but problem's with my steering since that was done. Well I left the garage and about an hour later it did it again (hard to steer)

I called the Ford dealer who had done the recall update and they told me that there was really nothing they can do but bring it to them and pay $125.00 and they will tell me the problem. I told them it was fine until they did the update on the power steering. Everyone I talked to about the update said they had nothing but problems after the update. Ford needs to take responsibility for their f*ck up it a bunch of bs with this power steering

- , Parma, OH, USA

May 132015

Escape

I had a recall on my Ford Escape and I took it to Ford place downtown in Durham NC. They said they fixed the problem but it has happened again. Now the Ford people are saying I had to pay for it. How could it be if the problem was fixed. I don't believe they ever fixed the problem. When I called Ford they said they fixed the problem and it was nothing they could do. Why should I eat the cost on a recall in my opinion they never fixed it. Now I have to either pay for it or buy another car. But it will not be from Ford.

- , durham, NC, USA

Dec 062015

Escape XLT 2.5L

backed out of the garage light on dash came on power steering assist so reset and was fine drove 2 miles stopped came back out light was on again and not power steering. drove home certified mechanic replace the torque sensor and still does not work. found out that ford motor had a recall on this problem but my dealer of 30 years did not notify me of the problem.nor did ford motor company notify me they said not a safety issue.

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Nov 032015

Escape

As soon as my 2008 Ford Escape hit 100,000+ miles I noticed it started to become harder to turn the vehicle on, but didn't think too much of it. Then just one day the vehicle wouldn't turn on at all. Nothing wrong with the engine so I was a bit confused. Eventually it turned back on after borrowing other folks' vehicles, I tried it one day and it turned on miraculously. However, the power steering suddenly cut off, all the lights on the dash turned on. Took it to the shop and said the entire steering column and ignition has to be replaced. That's over 1100 bucks I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for a vehicle that was well maintained. Luckily I can get a veteran 10% discount but I am highly upset and disappointed in Ford and this vehicle. It has been on recall for issues already with this car and now this?! I think Ford should respond to this disappointed customer. I have always been a ford person but paying this out of my hard earned paycheck has me very upset.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Sep 152015

Escape XLT V6

In 2014 August 4th I took my Escape for the recall. The car was fixed with an adjustment on the steering column so the power steering would not shut down again with no warning. It did it again and they will not honor the recall because it's been fixed 1 year ago but 1 month over its warranty. This is crazy on Ford's part. They did a simple adjustment and now I'm right back to the same problem. the only difference is my daughter was driving my car and almost had a major accident without warning the power steering failed. Are they going wait until some one is killed to fix the problem? I have bought Ford's all my life but this is the last one for me. Now it's up to me to repair the steering column because Ford opted to adjust the issue and not replace the problem.

- , SPRING VALLEY, CA, USA

Aug 172015

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

I pulled out of a lot and as I picked up speed I lost my power steering. Now when I turn at slower speeds I have to muscle it into the turn and then physically pull the wheel back and this is NOT EASY!!!!!!! I had an older sports car with manual steering but it was easy peasy compared to this!!!!!!!

This was a recall item. I went in for it last summer (2014)when I got the notice and the dealer " RESET" the system. I just read in the recall that they will fix if the vehicle has a history of it. I purchased the vehicle used the year before so I do not know the history.

The Ford dealer that did the RESET (where I also purchased the vehicle) said Ford will do nothing if it happens again after I had it in for the recall and I need to replace the steering column to the tune of close to $1500. Was told it is the Torque sensor but the entire steering column had to be replaced as it is all one unit. If there FIX did not work should they not be FIXING again?

I have also had to replace the wheel bearings on this vehicle twice within a year and now I see that they also may have been a recall. this cost me over $1000.

- , Sydney, NS, Canada

Jan 012015

Escape XLS 2.5L V4

A recall was done on my vehicle causing the recalled issue to be an issue. When I brought the vehicle in, I didn’t have a steering issue but now I do. Ford did a recall on my vehicle in the later part of 2014. I was not having any issues with my vehicle, but because it was a major recall I brought it in.

I would say about a month later or so I started having major steering issues and it would fail randomly. This has cause sever pain the hand I had carpel surgery on as the power steering off WHILE TURNING so the wheel jerks itself back and its up to the driver to make sure you can manually steer and keep the wheel from jerking back to the straight position in mid turn.

I called FORD and addressed the it but it will cost you money to be looked at - its probably not the recall is what they told me. I went and did some research that cause the recall in the first place but I am willing to bet that not only did they not do anything but they also made it so something fails in the future causing me to bring my vehicle in and spend more money! This is so wrong on so many levels. I have given up and feel like I want my car to be repo'd just to get rid of it and the problem FORD CAUSED! Recall work should never be charged to the customer if they call in and complain about the original work that was done. Why would I have to pay for something they did wrong in the first place? I WASN'T HAVING ANY ISSUES UNTIL THEY TOOK MY CAR IN FOR THE RECALL!!

I live paycheck to paycheck right now and don’t have the money to give to FORD (Autonation) to fix a problem they caused. Even to look at it they are going to charge me! WHY??? I would like to add that since Ford has touched my vehicle- could be a coincidence but I have since had to replace the starter, battery, alternator and battery cables. I am financially strapped with this vehicle with all those repairs (keep in mind again my vehicle DID NOT have 1 issue until I brought it in.) and this new one will be over $1300 due to the fact that they think since issues weren't reported in a certain time frame its not the recall, however reading consumer complaint the same thing is happening to Ford owners who had the recall done on their vehicle.

After a certain time frame- it breaks again and they aren’t responsible for fixing it. Everything that is happening that went wrong in the first place causing the recall is what I am experiencing. I feel like I brought it in to get broke. (Good way to get money for FORD I guess) This is Autonation (formerly known as Tousley Ford) in Maplewood, MN. I would like them to take care of this problem as its should not be mine. I will never go to them for another vehicle as this place has ripped me off several times since this purchase! In all hopes I just want my vehicle repaired w/o the expense out of pocket.

- , Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Mar 272015

Escape 2.3L I4

I've been a Ford guy my whole life. However, due to my last two “NEW” purchases of a 02 F250 (problems, problems and more problems) and 08 Escape, that is changing my mind about Fords. The Escape has had two transmission put in it. Ford knows they have a problem with the CD4E tranny and the valve body but won't do anything about it. The straw that broke the Ford guys back was the power steering failure. Wife was coming home from checking on her mom when she stopped to fill up with gas. Restarted piece of sh*t (Escape) and no power steering.

I've searched the internet and found lots of similar problem and complaints... but no recall. Going to take to Ford today for repairs. I’m hoping to trade off another piece of sh*t soon for a Toyota. I’m disgusted with all three American auto makers and the governments handling of their bail outs. Toyota, please bail me out of American junk.

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 082014

Escape Limited V6

The recall was a joke. My power steering just went out on me in Feb 2014. Recall came out in May, had to pay to tow my car to the Ford dealership but the recall didn't cover towing costs. Had to wait into July because "Ford is waiting on the company to tell them the fix". Once the "fix" was in, only certain codes displayed on their computer check, Ford would then pay. If your car didn't give the right code it was the "owners responsible". So I had to pay for a new steering column.

Ford totally screwed their customers.

- , Goldsboro, NC, USA

Feb 022015

Escape ES 3.2lV6

Last September I took it to the dealer for the reprogram on the computer. In February the steering wheel started shaking back & forth. As time goes by, the problem is getting worse. The power steering fails now & then. You can hear noise coming from the steering wheel. Yesterday I drove it to the dealer with a very hard to turn steering wheel. I feel Ford should have a major RECALL on this problem.

- , Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Mar 032015

Escape

Bought truck 10/2014. 1/16/15 power steering fails. Dealer reprograms sensor under recall. 2/27/15 it fails again. Dealer replaces sensor and has mercy on me and doesn't charge me, from what I've read, $1000. Tells me it's "not morally right" that Ford considers their "job done" if the code says it only needs to be reprogrammed and that the next fail is not their liability. And this wasn't even the dealer that I bought the vehicle from. Definitely my lucky day.

But this concept of reprogramming being considered a fix and that's that is not morally right. I do not consider this Class Action recall a win at all. Who settled this bogus case?!

- , Middlesex, NY, USA

Feb 022015

Escape EXL V6

My car is only 6 years old and Ford is not trying to realize this problem. I repeatedly go to Ford about the situation, their comment to me is " it's because it's a women driver". I couldn't believe it when they told me that, they left me speechless without words. I'm so done with Ford and their cars.

- , Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 152015

Escape XLT V6

Ford reprogrammed computer, was suppose to fix problem. Driving vehicle and power steering assist failure occurred. When this happened, jerked arms, caused pacemaker and defibrillator to pull and shift causing pain. Ford Company is refusing to fix. Sent a complaint to National Recall also.

- , Poca, WV, USA

Jan 302015

Escape LX 3.2L

Bought used in July and immediately heard noise in front end. Had diagnosed coming from steering column. Told by dealer there was recall coming out to fix that problem and was safe to drive. Recall was done in August they just re-programed . 5 months later power steering went out. Had to replace steering column and we were responsible for the cost ($958.85). Told by Ford once it was reprogrammed their liability ended, even though it didn't prevent problem that recall was issued for! This is bull** in my opinion! Luckily the steering didn't go out while going down the highway.

- , Jackson, MI, USA

Jan 252015

Escape XLT V6

2008 Ford Escape with 110,472 and No prior Power Steering Assist problems, was taken to Century Ford Mt. Airy, MD for the Ford Recall 14S05. Dealer installed the Ford recommended software update. 200 miles later, the power steering failed while driving and almost hit another car while turning.

Took car to Ted Britt Ford for repair. They replaced power steering module but immediately the power steering would not work and pulled the car to the far right, locking it into that position. Ford would not pay for the repair and said this was not covered under the recall. Cost to fix was $1,500 for new steering column.

I've submitted a formal complaint to Ford, NHTSA, FTC, Dept. of Transportation. This recall does not fix the power steering issues and in many cases, causes cars like mine that had no prior steering issues, to fail AFTER Ford completed the so called recall work. Ford Corp. would not pay for the repair.

Update from Apr 11, 2015: Sent letter to Dept. of Transportation, FTC and Senator Warner in Feb. 2015:

Ms. Jennifer Timian Chief, Recall Management Division Office of Defects Investigations/Enforcement U.S. Dept. of Transportation / NHTSA 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE Washington, DC 20590

RE: NHTSA Campaign #14V-284 -- Ford Recall #14S05

Dear Ms. Timian,

I respectfully request that the NHTSA and the Department of Transportation revisit the Ford Recall 14S05 for the power steering safety issue.

In my case and in thousands of other similar cases, Ford completed the required “software” update for the power steering safety issue when I had no prior issues with my power steering. About 200 miles later, the system warned me of the pending power steering failure while I was driving my car and making a left turn. The steering system failed while turning about 30 seconds after the warning. Luckily I avoid hitting another car due the force I had to use to turn and straighten the vehicle.

The Ford recall only covered the software update and I was required to pay Ted Britt Ford approximately $1,500.00 to replace the power steering column, which is the vast majority of the cost to fix this safety issue. My 2008 Ford Escape VIN# is: 1FMCU03168KE77338 and my Ford Case numbers are: CAS5893995 & CAS5877050.

I believe it is clear that the power steering system involved with this recall was poorly designed and manufactured and is unsafe to drive. It appears that many of the models with this steering system begin to fail at 35,000-100,000 miles with many failing right after the “software” update was completed.

If only 10% of the Escape 2008-2011 owners covered under this recall like myself are required by Ford to pay for the replacement of the unsafe steering column system, this would equal $112,500,000.00 and at 50% would be half a Trillion dollars. Now that car manufactures are building more complex and self-contained systems, it is no longer a simple $50-$100 repair to replace one of the parts. The consumer must now pay to have an entire new self-contained system installed to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Therefore, the various governmental agencies involved should reevaluate the terms, conditions and validity of this recall to ensure the consumer is not unfairly paying to fix Ford’s power steering safety problem.

I hope this does not turn out to be a similar recall issue with unnecessary death and injury due to the delays in identifying the complete power steering assist defect and safety issues as General Motors and its owners have been going through with the defective ignition switches.

As part of the reevaluation of this recall, the following questions should be asked: 1) how many cars under this recall have been repaired and how many required the consumer to pay for all or part of the repairs associated with this recall?, 2) of the cars with no prior power steering fault codes or issues that then had the recall software “updates” completed, how many then shortly after had complete steering failure and, of this group, how many customers were forced to pay for all or some of the required repairs costing them thousands of dollar each?

I am hopeful that the NHTSA is not allowing automobile manufactures to build unsafe cars that have severe safety issues with the only stipulation or requirement being that the car must notify the driver prior to a critical safety system failure, putting the responsibility, burden and cost on the car owner to quickly pull off the road, if possible, call a tow truck and then write a check in the amount of $1,500.00+ to fix the defective and unsafe part(s).

Please let me know if the NHTSA will revisit and re-investigate this safety issue to insure the automobile owners are not being put at risk and being held responsible to fix this Ford safety issue at their cost.

Sincerely, Charles E. Hunter, III

Update from Apr 11, 2015: Sent copies of this letter to: cc: - Anthony Foxx, Secretary of Transportation, US Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave, SE Washington, DC 20590 - Consumer Reports, Marta Tellado, President, 101 Truman Ave, Yonkers, NY 10703-1057 - Nancy Lewis, Associate Administrator for Enforcement, U.S. Dept. of Transportation / NHTSA 1200 New Jersey Ave S.E., Room W45-306, Washington, D.C. 20590 - Jessica Rich, Director, Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Consumer Protection, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 - The Honorable Mark R. Warner, 475 Russell Senate Office Bldg., Washington, DC 20510 - Steve Kenner, Global Director, Ford Automotive Safety Office, Fairlane Plaza South, Suite 400, 330 Town Center Drive, Dearborn, MI 48126-2738

Update from Apr 11, 2015: Contact your Congressman or Senator to have them push the NHTSA to make Ford pay to fix this defect. See update from NHTSA below on new petition filed under NHTSA Action#: DP15001:

Report Date : April 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM NHTSA Action Number : DP15001

NHTSA Action Number : DP15001 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): FORD / ESCAPE 2008-2011 FORD / ESCAPE HYBRID 2008-2011 MERCURY / MARINER 2008-2011 MERCURY / MARINER HYBRID 2008-2011 Manufacturer(s) : Ford Motor Company Component(s) : STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM Date Investigation Opened : April 1, 2015 Date Investigation Closed : Open Summary: On May 27, 2014, amended June 2, 2014, Ford Motor Company (Ford) submitted a Defect Information Report (DIR) to NHTSA describing a safety defect that may result in a sudden loss of power steering assist while driving in approximately 740,878 model year (MY) 2008 through 2011 Ford Escape vehicles equipped with electric power assisted steering (NHTSA 14V-284, Ford 14S05). Ford's DIR describes the defect condition as "a poor signal to noise ratio in the torque sensor within the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system [which] does not allow the PSCM to determine the driver's steering input." When the system detects this fault condition, it transitions the EPS system to the fail-safe/manual steering mode. Ford's DIR indicates that loss of power steering assist while driving would require higher steering effort at lower vehicle speeds, which may result in an increased risk of a crash. Ford's remedy instructs dealers to check the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) to determine the proper repair procedure. If no DTCs are present, dealers will update the PSCM and instrument cluster module software. The updated PSCM software changes the torque sensor fault strategy to no longer remove power steering assist while driving for a single torque sensor fault and provide audible and visual warnings to the driver if a torque sensor fault is detected. If certain loss of steering assist DTCs are present during the initial recall inspection, the dealer will either replace the torque sensor or the PSCM, depending on the DTC present. The Ford remedy is designed to reduce the possibility of a sudden loss of power steering while the vehicle is being driven. Subsequent failures of the EPS torque sensor of PCSM would not result in sudden loss of power steering assist while driving, but would provide audible and visual warnings to the driver that EPS service is required. If the system is not promptly serviced after warning symptoms appear, power assist may not be available upon subsequent key-"ON" vehicle start-up. Ford does not provide assistance for repairs in this circumstance under the safety recall. On February 5, 2015, ODI received a petition "for a Determination of Whether Ford Motor Company ("Ford") Reasonably Met its Obligation to Remedy Recall14S05 regarding certain 2008-[2011] Model Year Escape and Mariner Vehicles" from an owner of a vehicle that experience a torque sensor failure after receiving the remedy for 14V-284 (VOQ 10670665). The petitioner alleges that the software update provided by Ford's recall does not adequately remedy the safety defect and that "the software update itself may in fact cause further issues with the affected vehicle's power steering, causing it to fail, and ultimately requiring replacement of the torque sensor or entire steering column." ODI will evaluate the information provided by the petitioner and make a grant or deny decision.

- , Ashburn, VA, USA