9.3

$1,473.00

2. replace power steering column (14 reports)
  3. shut down engine and restart (10 reports)
2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 212014

Escape Limited V6

I think this a problem that needs to be looked into by Ford. A recall is definitely in need due the seriousness of this matter.

- , Goldsboro, NC, USA

Apr 112014

Escape XLT V6

Daughter drives estimated 300 miles back and forth and while at school, power steering goes out while driving, with NO INDICATIONS it's about to happen. So far it kicks back in when she does a re-start, but this makes for a very dangerous situation for her and those in traffic.. 4-11-2014

- , van Buren Twp, MI, USA

Mar 262014

Escape XLS

Electronic power steering goes out while driving without warning. When stopped at a light, the steering wheel will move back and forth on it's own as if it is possessed. Sometimes it happens when starting the car, and other times it just happens while driving making it very difficult to turn the car. You can either stop or put the car in neutral (while coasting) to turn the engine off to reset the on-board computer for the power steering to come back on.

Very dangerous while driving on the highway when the power steering goes out unknowingly if needing to make a quick lane change.

Should definitely be a Safety Recall Issue!!!! I have heard it is a predominate problem only with the 2008 year model of Escapes.

- , Chesterfield, MI, USA

Mar 132014

Escape LX V6

steering got stiff all of a sudden

No option for recording or taking picture o the problem. This happened in a d cold morning day on tthe way to my daughter'sschool . It was so hard to steer the wheel I th o ught it was the belt. I turned car off and started back on almost inmediately and didnt solve tthe problem right then. My daughter had a school fiel trip which I volunteered for and didnt know whether to cancel the trip o tak my car to a garage early morning. I decided to drive it BUT the experience of a stiff steering wheel was awful and painful specially when turning leftor right. I had to risk my life goin to this special evsnt for my daughter(since she was in 3rd grade- she is in 5th grade now)

I managed to arrive to the location o the fieldtrip and all day was thinking about what was I going to do if car doesnt wo r k? I couldn't even park straight. I asked on of the parent whom were helping ou too and he helped me to check the c a r. Odd l y enough after being parked for5.5 hrs, the Escape workred fine as nothing didnt happened. It has been a scary experience.

- , Bexley, Ohio, USA

Mar 242014

Escape XLT V6

While driving at highway speeds the steering wheel begins to pull and shake to the left and right. The power steering also shuts off completely while driving, and when starting the car. The car is incredibly difficult to steer when this occurs making it almost impossible for my fiance to drive. Shutting off and restarting the car will sometimes unlock the wheel, but it still shakes harshly.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Escape

My steering just gives out, i have to shutdown, then restart the car for power steer to resume. this should be a recall. so many others are having same issue. obviously a known issue.

- , Bayonne, NJ, USA

Mar 112014

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

This condition of the Assisted Electronic Power Steering in the 2008 early Escapes-Limited , XLTs and etc, , has been reported to Ford by many-also to Federal Transport Safety Departments and similar Departments in Canada. Ford has done nothing to correct the problems. We have stopped buying Ford and have purchased A new Equinox LTZ. We told Ford Customer Service of our intent if nothing done -we hope so many other original happy ford owners do the same. This was the first year -2008- of the Power Assisted Electronic Steering and evidently had some troubles until corrected them-and they do not want to now make a Recall on them;We still have the Escapdel-not fair to sell to anyone and endanger that family. We use it sparingly and locally only.

- , MaysLanding, NJ, United States

Mar 022014

Escape V6

Same complaints as everyone else...locks up and has to be shut off and restarted to work. It is the newest and most reliable vehicle we have and its in the worse shape. Our mechanic had to call a Ford mechanic and explain the problem, he told him he was working on one and the entire steering column needed to be replaced and electrical rewired, costing about $1500. My husband has banned my son and I from driving it. He drives to work and back, about 4 miles each way and it locks up anywhere from 4-6 times on him. Repairs are too costly. FORD NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!!!

- , Berea, Ohio, USA

Nov 042013

Escape Limited V6

Ford needs to have a recall and fix the issue.

I am hearing it will cost me around $1500.00 to fix.

- , Canton, Georgia, USA

Feb 122014

Escape Limited V6

As with numerous others here, steering froze without warning when driving. Shutting off and re-starting the car seems to HAVE TEMPORARILY solved the problem. Steering wheel vibrates when sitting at stop signs or lights. FORD NEEDS A RECALL FOR THIS PROBLEM !!!

WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD IF THEY REFUSE TO DO RIGHT BY THEIR CUSTOMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Ashby, MA, USA

Mar 212014

Escape V6

Felt like someone grabbed my wheel to the right, then let go. I thought , what the hell was that? I started to turn left & could barely turn wheel either direction. After at least an hour of trying to locate steering pump or belt that may have broken I got ahold of my dealer. Guess what? NO STEERING PUMP. All electric stuff.

Tow it to Ford to see for sure what it is. Started it to back it up for tow truck & steering works fine. Decided to get it towed anyway. I love AAA. I had it fixed but I don't think the car needs me for an owner much longer. No one at dealership said these had this problem , not that they had ever heard of. After reading what I have about these cars tonight I am not very secure about driving it. I'll be on the phone to Ford in the a.m. to file a complaint. This is a definite safety issue. I am really pissed that they haven't recalled or re-reimbursed their customers. They haven't heard the last of me for sure. Oh yeah, I'm still making payments.

- , Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Mar 192014

Escape XLT V6

I purchased this 2008 Ford Escape XLT for my 16 yr. old son to drive for school. Recently he complained about a steering problem with his car. The Steering locks up when you are driving. When parked, the whole steering column vibrates uncontrollably. So, I drove it myself. And....yes, it's all true. You lose control of the power steering while driving! You have to stop the car, which then the whole steering wheel shakes, then restart it to get the power steering back. This is RIDICULOUS and DANGEROUS! After reading numorous other complaints on the internet with the same exact problem, you'd think Ford would recall this issue before someone gets killed! If there isn't someone already! What are you waiting for Ford? You are obviously aware of this problem but choose to do nothing? Really? So, how many accidents or deaths will it take before you do recall it? This car is NOT SAFE TO DRIVE! This may be the last Ford I buy if you don't fix the problem!

- , Mason City, Iowa, USA

Feb 122014

Escape 3.2L V6

I am so glad that I was not on the highway or on a trip when my power steering went... I only live 10 minutes away from the Ford dealership and drove to them but it was very hard to turn the wheel. I was not happy with the almost $2000.00 repair bill and shocked that this could happen - it is definitely a safety issue and really feel that Ford should have a recall on this problem, as I discovered from this website that it has happened to a lot of people. I am going to take this to my lawyer and get an opinion on this issue.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, canada

Mar 082014

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

After realizing there was a problem with my power steering I took it to my garage where they sprang the bad news that I need my steering column replaced to the tune of $1,400.00. I then did some research and was shocked at the number of people who have the very same problem. Due top the high mileage on my vehicle I'm not sure whether its worth the $ to fix but in the mean time I'm now scared to death to take this on the road. This certainly should be a manufacturer's recall and honestly if I do decide to purchase another vehicle it probably will not be a FORD. I certainly hope that someone doesn't have to loose their life before Ford does something about this......

- , Zionsville, PA, USA

Feb 272014

Escape Limited V6

It's ridiculous that so many 08 Escapes are having this problem right after warrantys end and the cars are being paid off. Ford needs to recall this.

It's dangerous and outrageous that all of a sudden we are expected to pay $1500 to fix a small power steering component. I hear a little click inside my steering wheel base as the power steering shuts off and on. A small electric component that is giving out shouldn't require such an expensive fix. If I have to pay $1500 to fix it, not only will I NEVER purchase a Ford again...I will tell anyone who will listen to not purchase one and why!

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Feb 012014

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

Same issue as everyone else. Power steering goes out. Have to restart the car to hope it comes back on. There needs to be a recall, please if you're having this problem make sure to post a complaint!

- , Granger, IN, USA

Feb 212014

Escape XLS 2.3L V4

I've spent 2-3 weeks researching the problem as I always do and found that I'm not the only one with this issue. I really think it's a rip off because I, like too many other people, just made the last payment on this vehicle and was looking forward to at least a year of just regular maintenance on this truck. After watching all of the stories on the news about GM having a recall on it's vehicles because of a safety issue that could have been fixed for less than $1, it's ridiculous that Ford hasn't recalled this 2008 Escape. It's definitely a huge safety issue for your steering to go out with not as much as a warning light in the dashboard! And then, to add insult to injury, you have to take it back to the dealer (automatic big $$$) to have it fixed. And, and, on top of that, for the repair to be in access of $1300 is ridiculous. (the estimate from my ford dealer is $1800 <------WTF????) It's a downright financial hardship for most people. I'm sitting here contemplating if I should borrow money from relatives, open a new credit card or trade the damn thing in for 6 more years of car payments. I was going to give this truck to my son to take back to school with him. Thank God I didn't. I would have been horrified! Ford needs to get on the stick and recall these trucks immediately!

- , Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Mar 062014

Escape V6

Really dangerous . No warning at all. Ford needs to recall for this problem!!

- , Naugatuck, CT, USA

Feb 132014

Escape XLT V6

It is really dangerous please do a recall before someone dies or hits someone on the street because of loss of steering.

- , Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Feb 012014

Escape

Give me a break. We have had the car 4 months and less than 100,000 miles. Sounds like a chronic problem so why is there not a recall. This is a hazard. My wife can not drive this car due to the difficulty of steering. SERIOUSLY?

kEWASKUM, WI