2. replace power steering column (28 reports)
  3. shut down engine and restart (13 reports)
  4. replace torque sensor (9 reports)
2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 022016

Escape XLT

- , Jamestown, IN, USA

Jul 032016

Escape 4 cyl

Power steering failure.

As I am driving the steering wheel becomes locked and very hard to maneuver. I also am unable to pull the steering wheel back to normal. I am afraid to even take it out anymore.

- , Bell, CA, USA

May 232016

Power steering failure. When I brought it to my regular mechanic they informed us that there was a problem but it required us to bring it to the dealership for repairs due to the problem needing electronic programming that could only be done by the dealership. I looked everything up and found a recall and called the dealership. When I brought my vehicle in to be repaired I was contacted and told that the entire power steering column needed to be replaced and its not part of the recall. How can a recall affect so many people but not cover the real problem that everyone is having. With so many consumers complaining that they had to have the entire power steering column replaced (of course for a very high price, and only at the ford dealership) the NHTSA or some government body needs to force Ford to recall the whole column. I am 100% for a class action law suit.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Feb 032016

Escape LX V6

- , Euclid, OH, USA

Feb 162016

Escape 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

power steering failure

It's very annoying when you just had service done and received a perfect report, then two weeks later the damn steering is so damn tight it feels like she is trying to turn the wheel when driving.

- , philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 232016

Escape XLT 3.0L

I had this shake in the wheel and it started moving on its own making a rattling noise. Then today a new thing came on where it tells you how many miles you have for gas until empty and it popped on Power steering assist fault. I drove it around Plattsburgh NY and it was fine. Got it to Advance Auto and had them check to see if there was a code. But there was no code.

I called a car place to have it checked and when I went to bring it there I had hard steering and couldn't get it to to steer. So I had to call a tow truck that cost$88.00 just 3 to 5 mins away.

I am going on 3 years with this car and I have had nothing but problems including wheel bearings and can't get out of this car/ I feel this is a defected car like other people complaining about it. I got a recall on the steering thing and brought it in and they changed it but now I am having problems with my steering and for them to check it it would be like a $100.00.

- , Keeseville, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Escape 4 cyl

This problem has been going on for the last week, low speed turns, failure of power assist to return wheels to straight ahead. They will return but with some effort, not automatic as normal. I had the software tweeted on recall 2 years ago. I did a lot of research on the net and it appears to be a common problem with this model with electric steering. I went to my mechanic and no codes are in the ECU. I went to my friendly Ford dealer and it was just as the net said. They want a $100+ diagnostic fee, there is no recall coverage. There are only two components, the assist motor on rack or the torque sensor in the steering column. $500 to $1500 repair. It's the first year the electric assist was used and looks like we are the Guinea pigs to trouble shoot the bugs as the cars age.

If Ford has the diagnostic computer to read the computer why do you have to pay the fee then the outrages fees on repairs. It's probably because folks run to their local mechanic and dodge the Ford repair. I only go to the for warranty and recalls anyway. If I could afford their rates I wouldn't be driving an 8 year old car.

- , Bridgewater, MA, USA

Feb 222016

Escape XLT 4WD 3.0L V6

I plan to visit my Ford dealer tomorrow and have a "candid" conversation. This is Round #2 concerning a problem that was supposed to be fixed in 2014. *Separate report will give further details. I am afraid to drive my Escape because you never know when or where you will lose your power steering. I had a close call in 2014 before Ford issued a recall to solve the power steering problem! Only the laundry knew how scared I was!

- , Montrose, CO, USA

Dec 122015

Escape XLT 3.0L

I took my Escape to the dealer on 12/12/15 for a recall about they had to update the electronic power steering unit so they did after four hours of having it. So a few weeks late, I start to feel play in my steering wheel and hearing popping noise in the steering column. I find out that the intimated steering shaft knuckle was going bad, so I had it replaced today ($195.00).

I drive home and then was about to leave and was backing out my driveway when I notice that it was so hard to turn the wheel. I took it back to the garage when I had the knuckle fixed and he hooked it up on the computer and told me about the recall and I informed him I had done the recall and had nothing but problem's with my steering since that was done. Well I left the garage and about an hour later it did it again (hard to steer)

I called the Ford dealer who had done the recall update and they told me that there was really nothing they can do but bring it to them and pay $125.00 and they will tell me the problem. I told them it was fine until they did the update on the power steering. Everyone I talked to about the update said they had nothing but problems after the update. Ford needs to take responsibility for their f*ck up it a bunch of bs with this power steering

- , Parma, OH, USA

May 132015

I had a recall on my Ford Escape and I took it to Ford place downtown in Durham NC. They said they fixed the problem but it has happened again. Now the Ford people are saying I had to pay for it. How could it be if the problem was fixed. I don't believe they ever fixed the problem. When I called Ford they said they fixed the problem and it was nothing they could do. Why should I eat the cost on a recall in my opinion they never fixed it. Now I have to either pay for it or buy another car. But it will not be from Ford.

- , durham, NC, USA

Dec 062015

Escape XLT 2.5L

backed out of the garage light on dash came on power steering assist so reset and was fine drove 2 miles stopped came back out light was on again and not power steering. drove home certified mechanic replace the torque sensor and still does not work. found out that ford motor had a recall on this problem but my dealer of 30 years did not notify me of the problem.nor did ford motor company notify me they said not a safety issue.

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Nov 032015

As soon as my 2008 Ford Escape hit 100,000+ miles I noticed it started to become harder to turn the vehicle on, but didn't think too much of it. Then just one day the vehicle wouldn't turn on at all. Nothing wrong with the engine so I was a bit confused. Eventually it turned back on after borrowing other folks' vehicles, I tried it one day and it turned on miraculously. However, the power steering suddenly cut off, all the lights on the dash turned on. Took it to the shop and said the entire steering column and ignition has to be replaced. That's over 1100 bucks I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for a vehicle that was well maintained. Luckily I can get a veteran 10% discount but I am highly upset and disappointed in Ford and this vehicle. It has been on recall for issues already with this car and now this?! I think Ford should respond to this disappointed customer. I have always been a ford person but paying this out of my hard earned paycheck has me very upset.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Sep 152015

Escape XLT V6

In 2014 August 4th I took my Escape for the recall. The car was fixed with an adjustment on the steering column so the power steering would not shut down again with no warning. It did it again and they will not honor the recall because it's been fixed 1 year ago but 1 month over its warranty. This is crazy on Ford's part. They did a simple adjustment and now I'm right back to the same problem. the only difference is my daughter was driving my car and almost had a major accident without warning the power steering failed. Are they going wait until some one is killed to fix the problem? I have bought Ford's all my life but this is the last one for me. Now it's up to me to repair the steering column because Ford opted to adjust the issue and not replace the problem.

Aug 172015

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

I pulled out of a lot and as I picked up speed I lost my power steering. Now when I turn at slower speeds I have to muscle it into the turn and then physically pull the wheel back and this is NOT EASY!!!!!!! I had an older sports car with manual steering but it was easy peasy compared to this!!!!!!!

This was a recall item. I went in for it last summer (2014)when I got the notice and the dealer " RESET" the system. I just read in the recall that they will fix if the vehicle has a history of it. I purchased the vehicle used the year before so I do not know the history.

The Ford dealer that did the RESET (where I also purchased the vehicle) said Ford will do nothing if it happens again after I had it in for the recall and I need to replace the steering column to the tune of close to $1500. Was told it is the Torque sensor but the entire steering column had to be replaced as it is all one unit. If there FIX did not work should they not be FIXING again?

I have also had to replace the wheel bearings on this vehicle twice within a year and now I see that they also may have been a recall. this cost me over $1000.

- , Sydney, NS, Canada

Jan 012015

Escape XLS 2.5L V4

A recall was done on my vehicle causing the recalled issue to be an issue. When I brought the vehicle in, I didn’t have a steering issue but now I do. Ford did a recall on my vehicle in the later part of 2014. I was not having any issues with my vehicle, but because it was a major recall I brought it in.

I would say about a month later or so I started having major steering issues and it would fail randomly. This has cause sever pain the hand I had carpel surgery on as the power steering off WHILE TURNING so the wheel jerks itself back and its up to the driver to make sure you can manually steer and keep the wheel from jerking back to the straight position in mid turn.

I called FORD and addressed the it but it will cost you money to be looked at - its probably not the recall is what they told me. I went and did some research that cause the recall in the first place but I am willing to bet that not only did they not do anything but they also made it so something fails in the future causing me to bring my vehicle in and spend more money! This is so wrong on so many levels. I have given up and feel like I want my car to be repo'd just to get rid of it and the problem FORD CAUSED! Recall work should never be charged to the customer if they call in and complain about the original work that was done. Why would I have to pay for something they did wrong in the first place? I WASN'T HAVING ANY ISSUES UNTIL THEY TOOK MY CAR IN FOR THE RECALL!!

I live paycheck to paycheck right now and don’t have the money to give to FORD (Autonation) to fix a problem they caused. Even to look at it they are going to charge me! WHY??? I would like to add that since Ford has touched my vehicle- could be a coincidence but I have since had to replace the starter, battery, alternator and battery cables. I am financially strapped with this vehicle with all those repairs (keep in mind again my vehicle DID NOT have 1 issue until I brought it in.) and this new one will be over $1300 due to the fact that they think since issues weren't reported in a certain time frame its not the recall, however reading consumer complaint the same thing is happening to Ford owners who had the recall done on their vehicle.

After a certain time frame- it breaks again and they aren’t responsible for fixing it. Everything that is happening that went wrong in the first place causing the recall is what I am experiencing. I feel like I brought it in to get broke. (Good way to get money for FORD I guess) This is Autonation (formerly known as Tousley Ford) in Maplewood, MN. I would like them to take care of this problem as its should not be mine. I will never go to them for another vehicle as this place has ripped me off several times since this purchase! In all hopes I just want my vehicle repaired w/o the expense out of pocket.

- , Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Mar 272015

Escape 2.3L I4

I've been a Ford guy my whole life. However, due to my last two “NEW” purchases of a 02 F250 (problems, problems and more problems) and 08 Escape, that is changing my mind about Fords. The Escape has had two transmission put in it. Ford knows they have a problem with the CD4E tranny and the valve body but won't do anything about it. The straw that broke the Ford guys back was the power steering failure. Wife was coming home from checking on her mom when she stopped to fill up with gas. Restarted piece of sh*t (Escape) and no power steering.

I've searched the internet and found lots of similar problem and complaints... but no recall. Going to take to Ford today for repairs. I’m hoping to trade off another piece of sh*t soon for a Toyota. I’m disgusted with all three American auto makers and the governments handling of their bail outs. Toyota, please bail me out of American junk.

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 082014

Escape Limited V6

The recall was a joke. My power steering just went out on me in Feb 2014. Recall came out in May, had to pay to tow my car to the Ford dealership but the recall didn't cover towing costs. Had to wait into July because "Ford is waiting on the company to tell them the fix". Once the "fix" was in, only certain codes displayed on their computer check, Ford would then pay. If your car didn't give the right code it was the "owners responsible". So I had to pay for a new steering column.

Ford totally screwed their customers.

- , Goldsboro, NC, USA

Feb 022015

Escape ES 3.2lV6

Last September I took it to the dealer for the reprogram on the computer. In February the steering wheel started shaking back & forth. As time goes by, the problem is getting worse. The power steering fails now & then. You can hear noise coming from the steering wheel. Yesterday I drove it to the dealer with a very hard to turn steering wheel. I feel Ford should have a major RECALL on this problem.

- , Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Mar 032015

Bought truck 10/2014. 1/16/15 power steering fails. Dealer reprograms sensor under recall. 2/27/15 it fails again. Dealer replaces sensor and has mercy on me and doesn't charge me, from what I've read, $1000. Tells me it's "not morally right" that Ford considers their "job done" if the code says it only needs to be reprogrammed and that the next fail is not their liability. And this wasn't even the dealer that I bought the vehicle from. Definitely my lucky day.

But this concept of reprogramming being considered a fix and that's that is not morally right. I do not consider this Class Action recall a win at all. Who settled this bogus case?!

- , Middlesex, NY, USA

Feb 022015

Escape EXL V6

My car is only 6 years old and Ford is not trying to realize this problem. I repeatedly go to Ford about the situation, their comment to me is " it's because it's a women driver". I couldn't believe it when they told me that, they left me speechless without words. I'm so done with Ford and their cars.

- , Jamaica, NY, USA