9.1

$1,345.00

1. replace power steering column (22 reports)
  3. shut down engine and restart (13 reports)
  4. replace torque sensor (3 reports)
2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 022015

Escape EXL V6

My car is only 6 years old and Ford is not trying to realize this problem. I repeatedly go to Ford about the situation, their comment to me is " it's because it's a women driver". I couldn't believe it when they told me that, they left me speechless without words. I'm so done with Ford and their cars.

- , Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 152015

Escape XLT V6

Ford reprogrammed computer, was suppose to fix problem. Driving vehicle and power steering assist failure occurred. When this happened, jerked arms, caused pacemaker and defibrillator to pull and shift causing pain. Ford Company is refusing to fix. Sent a complaint to National Recall also.

- , Poca, WV, USA

Jan 302015

Escape LX 3.2L

Bought used in July and immediately heard noise in front end. Had diagnosed coming from steering column. Told by dealer there was recall coming out to fix that problem and was safe to drive. Recall was done in August they just re-programed . 5 months later power steering went out. Had to replace steering column and we were responsible for the cost ($958.85). Told by Ford once it was reprogrammed their liability ended, even though it didn't prevent problem that recall was issued for! This is bull** in my opinion! Luckily the steering didn't go out while going down the highway.

- , Jackson, Michigan, USA

Jan 252015

Escape XLT V6

2008 Ford Escape with 110,472 and No prior Power Steering Assist problems, was taken to Century Ford Mt. Airy, MD for the Ford Recall 14S05. Dealer installed the Ford recommended software update. 200 miles later, the power steering failed while driving and almost hit another car while turning.

Took car to Ted Britt Ford for repair. They replaced power steering module but immediately the power steering would not work and pulled the car to the far right, locking it into that position. Ford would not pay for the repair and said this was not covered under the recall. Cost to fix was $1,500 for new steering column.

I've submitted a formal complaint to Ford, NHTSA, FTC, Dept. of Transportation. This recall does not fix the power steering issues and in many cases, causes cars like mine that had no prior steering issues, to fail AFTER Ford completed the so called recall work. Ford Corp. would not pay for the repair.

- , Ashburn, Virginia, USA

Jan 262015

Escape LX 2.3L

Ford sent a recall on the steering torque sensor in August 2014. I took the car to the dealer to perform the recall. The sensor did not have a bad code, so they did a software update. Five months later the sensor went out. I could not steer my car at all and had it towed to the dealer. I was told that since the software update was done, that Ford would not cover the cost of the repair!

- , Mission Viejo, California, USA

Aug 142014

Escape 3.0L Litre

I didn't think it was a major problem then but now it's arm-strong steering and I don't have the money to fix it. I thought it would be easy to fix but apparently there's more to it then that. Is my vehicle one of the recalls? And, can I get it fixed at no cost?

- , Wetaskiwin, Alberta, canada

Jan 152015

Escape

We took the vehicle in for the recall and told the guy our power steering had been going in and out and we know it will go out because the steering column "Shimmies". He told us we were not eligible for parts but were eligible for reprogramming of PSC and IC. We got home, turned the car off, went to leave about 5 minutes later, turned the car on and NO power steering and NOW we get a "fault". Before the recall we would be able to turn the car off and then on again and some of the time the power steering would come back. NOW, there is absolutely NO power steering, none of the dealerships nor the headquarters will do anything about it. I consider this negligent homicide. These service people KNOW what's happening, customer service at headquarters is SCRIPTED to deny owners, and the problem is WORSE!

- , Clinton Township, MI, USA

Jan 112015

Escape 3.2L V6

Power steering stopped working half way turning through an intersection, almost hit another car but managed to go onto sidewalk and come to a stop. Dash displayed Power Steering Assist Fault. Ford had a recall on these 08 Escapes for this problem so I thought it was covered. When getting in touch with them they had stated they did an update when the recall happened and that it shouldn't have happened because they had updated the computer. This so called "fix" sadly has not fixed many of the Escapes according to what I have been reading. They still break anyways. Sad thing is THEY LEFT ME STUCK HOLDING THE BILL FOR THEIR PROBLEMS. A PROBLEM WHICH RECALLED OVER 914,000 VEHICLES. I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN.

- , WARREN, MA, USA

Jan 142015

Escape LX 3.2L

Ford had a recall in July. We had it fixed in August but they didn't do a thing because it didn't give the computer a "code". 4 months later power steering went out while driving. Cost us $600. If we had NOT taken it for the recall notice, Ford would have paid to have it towed and fixed but because it was scanned they would not fix it. Ford needs to RECALL the RECALL and FIX the problem regardless what the little scanner says. A safety hazard is big bad business and needs to be fixed.

- , Louisville, KY - Kentucky, USA

Nov 122014

Escape XL 4 cyl

I have had intermittent failures of the power steering on my 2008 Ford Escape. I learned of Fords recall, so I took the vehicle into Ford. They had it approximately ten minutes and they said the problem was fixed. Less than three weeks went by and I experienced another loss of power steering, so I called Ford and they said it's been fixed. Well about a week after that the power steering completely failed no power at all and it says power steering fault in the information center on the dash. I called Ford and they said the problem was fixed. Would anybody say they fixed the problem? Could anyone help me resolve this, who do I need to contact?

- , Ahoskie, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Escape XLT

I RECEIVED A LETTER IN JULY FOR AN OPEN RECALL ON MY ESCAPE. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE IT FIXED. THE POWER STEERING AT THE TIME WOULD GO OFF AND ON WHERE IT WOULD WORK THEN GO OUT AS I AM DRIVING. I TOOK IT TO RUSTY ECK FORD TO HAVE THEM FIX IT THEY SAID EVERYTHING WAS GOOD. NOW FEW MONTHS LATER MY POWER STEERING GOES OUT AGAIN AND ITS SNOW AND ICE ON THE GROUND WHICH IS VERY UNSAFE ESPECIALLY WHEN I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. I CALLED RUSTY ECK FORD AND THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND THEY BOTH SAID THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO, THE OPEN RECALL IS CLOSED BUT WHAT I WAS STATED WAS THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED AND CLEARLY ITS NOT. NOW THEY'RE SAYING I HAVE TO COME OUT OF POCKET. I DON'T HAVE OVER $1,000.00 TO GET A RECALL FIXED WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO GO THRU THE WINTER WITH A F#CKED UP CAR. I AM VERY UPSET I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A FORD EVER AND WILL TELL EVERYONE ELSE MY BAD EXPERIENCE. IF ANYONE CAN GIVE SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO I WOULD APPRECIATE IT THANK YOU.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 012013

Escape LX V6

I have a 2008 Ford Escape. I too have lost steering . I to took my SUV in for recall work. I too was told that the software update would fix the steering problem. I too believed them. One month out of getting the software update I have lost steering again. I called The national highway traffic safety admin., I called the federal trade commission, I called the Ohio Attorney General , I called Ford customer service dept. I called the general manager of the dealership and owner of the dealership. No one was able to help. I was told , now get this one, I was told that Ford did their part in repairing my steering by doing the software update that they don't have to do anything further. Even though the recall letter states they will update software , replace torque sensor or steering column. Now my last call I made today was to a lawyer. I feel that the recall letter that I received on July 2014 was a receipt from ford to repair the faulty steering that they put into this 2008 Escape. I feel we Escape owners need to have a class action lawsuit against Ford Motor company. I know I for one will not let this company walk all over me. They have put out a dangerous product and then they do a recall and in the recall state they will : Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to update the appropriate modules to prevent loss of steering assist while driving due to a torque sensor fault. In addition, the update provides increased driver awareness by sounding a chime and displaying the wrench light or warning in the message center when a fault is detected. Alternatively, the dealer may need to replace the torque sensor or the steering column. This service will be performed free of charge(parts and labor). This is what my recall letter states. The only thing my dealership did was do the software update. The dealer ship said I had to get approval from Ford to have anything else done. Or I could have the work done and I pay out of pocket for the work. When is it my responsibility to get approval for recall work to be done. Does not a recall mean that there is a defective part and that whether the car has the problem or not they are to replace the part? This people is not warranty work this is a recall for the fact that the escape loses steering without any notice at all. If you are interested in doing more than sitting on your butt and taking what this company thinks they can pull we as consumers can retaliate with a class action lawsuit to force them to honor the recall they themselves voluntarily put out. My e-mail address is lilith969@neo.rr.com if you are interested in joining me and taking on this dishonorable company.

- , Wadsworth, Ohio, USA

Oct 052014

Escape Limited 3.2L

I started having problems with the power steering about 50,000 miles. The power steering would go out for a couple of seconds and then "snap" back and work. I called the dealer 4 times about this problem and they said there were no recalls and you could tell they wanted no part of it. But, said I could bring in for a diagnostic and they could recommend repairs. After a year of problems, Ford finally "re-called" for this problem. I took my vehicle to another Ford dealership for the recall "fix". They said it was just a software update. Well, about a month or so later, I started having the same problem, except would make a loud screech noise before it happened. I called the dealership and they said they would need Ford Corporation to approve any repairs, so I called Ford Corporation and was talked to like a "dog" by a very condescending customer service person. She was down right rude. Well, now I just went for a short ride to the grocery store and my power steering has gone out completely - "Power Steering Assist Failure". Can anybody help me out there? I don't know what to do at this time and this is my only means of transportation. It's pretty bad when you take care of your vehicle and still have these problems.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 302014

Escape XLS 3.2L V6

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY MY POWER STEERING WENT OUT WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD IN THE CAR. CAME CLOSE TO CRASHING INTO THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY. I WAS JUST INFORMED TODAY THAT THERE WAS A RECALL ON THIS, AND NEVER RECEIVED ANY INFORMATION. I HAVE BEEN THE ORIGINAL OWNER SINCE DAY ONE (BUYING THE CAR BRAND NEW OFF THE LOT WITH 15 MILES ON THE ODOMETER)!

- , Arkansas City, Kansas, USA

Sep 082014

Escape Limited V6

I WAS DRIVING MY CAR AND A LIGHT CAME ON THE DASHBOARD. IT STATED POWER STEERING ASSIST DEFAULT. I DID NOT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANT BECAUSE I STILL HAD THE POWER STEERING AT THAT TIME. I CONTINUED TO DRIVE AND RETURNED HOME. MY STEERING WENT OUT BEFORE I GOT HOMW. I HAD TO REALLY STRUGGLE TO TURN ONTO MY STREET AND INTO MY DRIVEWAY. I CONTACTED LIBERTY FORD (IT WAS LOCATED AROUND THE CORNER FROM ME) AND MADE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE MY CAR SERVICED. I ALSO CHECKED THE INTERNET ABOUT MY PROBLEM AND I FOUND THAT THERE WAS A RECALL ON THE TORQUE SENSOR IN MAY OF 2014. LIBERTY FORD INFORMED ME THAT THERE WAS NOT A RECALL NOW ON THIS AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE REPAIR SERVICE. WHY DID I NOT RECEIVE NOTICE ABOUT THE RECALL EARLIER THIS YEAR AND WHY IS IT NO LONGER IN EFFECT?

- , Bedford, Ohio, USA

Jun 212013

Escape 3.0L,L V6

Lost power assist while driving to work. Scared the bejesus out of me as it came out of the blue. By the time I stopped the car had traveled across the left lane into oncoming traffic and it forced the oncoming cars to stop.

Luckily this was on a two lane street and the speed limit was 50 klms. My dad had mentioned to me about a lot of complaints regarding this problem so I turned the ignition off and on and the power assist worked again so I drove to work.

I had extended warranty on the vehicle and it was about to expire within the next two weeks so I wanted to get it checked out. The dealer refused to to do it unless I agreed to pay for it and I refused. Then I called the Ford customer complaints department who basically said take it to the dealer and they'll check the steering out. I didn't do it so I decided to keep driving it and hope that there would be a recall and limited my driving with that vehicle. I checked out the cost of the steering column about $1450.00 Canadian and found out there were 13 changeups for that model since 2008. My escape only had 85,000 kilometers on it.(June 2013) In the last two months I have lost the power assist three times and have received a 14S05 they call a notice from Ford Canada that a defect that relates to motor safety exists in your vehicle. So on thursday my dad took the vehicle to the ford dealership to have the safety issue repaired. The dealer said there was no codes and had updated the PSCM and Chime Module behind the dash cluster. My dad was furious and the service manager and him left each other in exchanging pleasantries and at the end my dad asked him for a kiss. My dad didn't believe that the few commands uploaded to the PSCM would eliminate this problem as he thinks these losses of signals should have registered a code. He knows it could have been other causes too such as heat, amperage draw on the steering motor,a worn wire rubbing, bad connector connection, bad gears in the rack and pinion, lose wiring and other things. but the dealership refused to deal with him but asked my daughter to make another appointment and I suggested she doesnt. The next day my dad called the Ford customer relationship line in Oakville Ontario (for Recalls and Safety) ( 1 800 563-3673) The rep said to take it to another dealer and the Ford Rep. opened a case file for me and suggests my dad to confirm the outcome with him. I suggested to the rep if they cant satisfy me that I will purchase a steering column and take Ford to court in small claims and his reply was you shouldnt have to go that far. Well my dad is too familiar with the system and hope he keeps his word. So I have an appointment with this other dealer on Friday Sept 19. They have already told my dad if there is no hard codes that they will only update the PSCM and Chime Module. Today my dad called Transport Canada (Road Safety-Defects and Recalls) (1 800 333-0510 Canada) and left a message which they will hopefully get back to my dad on Monday. It was closed for the day 8;00-4;30 pm. Ontario. My dad is adament that if the PSCM doesnt get the signal it cant send a command to the steering motor to do its job and that updating the PSCM wont correct the problem. Anyone want to comment as maybe my dad is barking up the wrong tree. I love my dad and he`s only been a Certified HD and Auto Mechanic for forty years but he always has a open mind and knows he may be wrong. Please comment

Update from Sep 20, 2014: Took 2008 escape to another dealer and they tried to make a hard code but failed. they reprogrammed the software and warranted for a year so if it loses assist they will look for another code again. Have not had time to confirm this with ford customer relations yet but the 2nd dealership did not charge to reprogram the 2nd time. They may have talked with ford customer relations. I couldn't talk with the ford dealership service manager about this as it was late Friday and he left for holidays and I my schedule won't allow me to talk to ford customer relations or service manager for another three weeks but my daughter will keep driving the vehicle. With the reprogramming of the computer (they extend the time of the signal to the steering motor to allow you time to get to the side of the road safely if the computer senses a problem that senses a CODE.) Also a check engine light (wrench and warning chime) should come on. Also called a soft landing by Transport Canada mechanic. They also claim that if you cycle the ignition over 20 times the hard code and check engine light may disappear. Hence should check for codes if concerned. Here is a eye opener as I (MAY) have understood from Transport Canada regarding Recall and Bulletins. I seem to understand that Transport Canada cannot force any Auto Corporations to pay for any repairs for recalls etc. This only applies to Canada but in the United States the law says they have to repair the vehicles. So the auto corporations only do this for Public Relations and if it involves a large number of vehicles. It seems that Transport Canada uses moral persuasion. WOW. So if this is true it bodes bad for the consumer. In Canada we have paid lobbyists to prevent the regulations from having any teeth. In the U.S. you seem to be luckier even thou your lobbyists try to do the same thing. I will continue to confirm my case file with the ford customer relations to try to bring some other kind of action and will update in time. For legalities this information (May) be true.

Remember that if your battery voltage is too low you will also lose power assist as this system relies on direct battery voltage to your ignition switch.

Will update on the final solution.

- , Victoria, BC, canada

Jul 312014

Escape XLT

click to see larger images

power steering failure

On July 31, I had a accident with my 2008 Ford Escape. The steering locked up on me. Because I had no collision on it, ICBC doesn't want to deal with it. Unless I have proper documentation of the steering defect, Ford Canada doesn't want to deal with it. Can anybody give me advise where to go????

Help?? 1-604-316-3903

Thanks Peter.

- , Chilliwack, BC, canada

Jan 012014

Escape

I have my Escape sitting at a dealership, failed power steering, i was in mid repair (put in a new torque sensor, waiting to calibrate it) when the recall was issued so took it in thinking they'd automatically fix it. No. They are saying the issue is because I didn't take it to a Ford dealership for repair, that my mechanic broke my car and they won't repair it. horrible customer service- I am driving a car with no power steering, they issued a recall and are penalizing me for not using a dealership for repair. Unreal.

- , Stratford, Ontario, canada

Jul 262014

Escape 2.3L

I was making a right turn; all of a sudden, I couldn't turn the steering wheel any more. It was locked. Thank God traffic was light so no one was hurt.

- , Vancouver, BC, canada

Feb 082014

Escape 2.3L 4 cyl

Ford 2008 Escape has been a pain since i purchased it. Had severe cooling system failure in 2012. Power steering just went out during a major snow storm. Ford needs to take full credit on this failure. Being quoted $1500.00 to fix. Someone is going to die because of this issue.

- , Batavia, OH, USA