2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 30)

Dec 262016

Escape

My Ford Escape's power steering suddenly went out in my while driving, it made the rest of the ride home from work extremely difficult and unsafe. I did my research and found there was in fact a Ford recall on this issue for my year and model car, however my VIN was not included in the recall, only the software update which I did handle in September 2014 at the dealership. The recall states the affected vehicles have a steering torque sensor that may not be able to properly detect steering input. As a result could remove the esp assist (electric power steering) we talked with Ford corporate and they said it was not part of recall but if the exact part that is included in the recall that will be replaced at no charge, they would work with us to have it replaced. When we brought it to local dealership, they confirmed after getting the error code the torque sensor did need to be replaced. They would not assist us in fixing it and after 2 calls to a supervisor we got them to escalate to Ford that still denied claim, and service manager even agreed that it should be added to the recall list when we picked it up that night. We called Ford again and talked with customer service and they said it had been too long since the software upgrade and nothing they could do. I will be reporting Ford to the BBB and still trying to escalate further as this car should be included in the recall due to the safety issue. All they said was to report it to the NHTSA site.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Dec 202016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 25 mph and making a right turn, the steering wheel seized and the wrench sensor indicator illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after the first attempt. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (electrical system, steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Jul 202015

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 35 mph and making a left turn, the steering wheel pulled abnormally. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the power steering system was updated. The vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Moline, IL, USA

Dec 272016

Escape

Acute loss of power steering; on a city street at about 20 mph while turning. I was able to complete the turn. My daughter, who usually drives this car, would not have been able to turn the steering wheel in order to complete the turn and safely stop along the curb.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Dec 222015

Escape

I received a recall notification 14S05 from Ford about my 2008 Ford Escape. The recall was for a faulty torque sensor that would either be reprogrammed or replaced. Instead of replacing the torque sensor, Ford service decided to just reprogram it because it had not failed or produced a service code. Just recently the torque sensor failed and my steering lost power while driving through a parking lot. I did not have the strength to turn the wheel and had to just stop and leave the car in the lot until someone could come help me. I brought my car back to the same dealership that performed the original recall repair and am being told that the recall has been performed and now I must pay them to replace the torque sensor. After spending time researching the issue online I discovered that this is a widespread problem. It is apparent that Ford is only replacing the sensors if they have already failed when you bring your car in for the recall. If it has not failed then Ford only does a reprogramming that doesn't prevent them from failing but allows Ford to close out the recall on your vehicle and save money on a replacement part. I don't understand how this is legal for them to do. I talked to several of Ford's service managers and customer service representatives and they all give the standard rehearsed answer.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 192016

Escape

While driving up a windy mountain road in lake Tahoe, ca, the power steering just quit working as we were making a left hand curve. From that point on, there was no power steering. It was like driving a car through quicksand. The slower the speed, the harder to turn. My husband did the research, and saw that a recall had been issued. We had no problems with the steering but had received the recall notice from Ford to take in for a "flash" software programming for the car. We took into Ford dealer in August 2015. Obviously, the recall is more serious than the fix that was applied and did not keep us from losing the power steering in a very dangerous situation. Ford claims that they did they recall, and they are not liable for any further repairs. I call foul! their temporary fix did not hold. I have been pouring over Ford forums and see many, many Ford Escapes are doing exact same thing, losing power steering while driving and Ford is refusing to acknowledge problem. How may I get a class action law suit started for this issue vs Ford?

- Phelan, CA, USA

Dec 192016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While backing out of the driveway at 5 mph and turning the steering wheel, the steering wheel felt very stiff. Eventually, the power steering assist indicator illuminated on several occasions. The vehicle was previously serviced in 2015 per NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 212016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel shook vigorously without warning. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 122,000.

- Corpus Chrisiti, TX, USA

Dec 072016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Dec 052016

Escape

Torque sensor after the eps module/torque sensor software update is malfunctioning again, wheel moves on its own. While driving and stationary the wheel takes "phantom" movements with no operator encouragement. The update from the recall regarding the torque sensor did not effectively fix the problem, the part needs to be replaced in a recall. I have reviewed and read numerous accounts of this same problem and there is in fact a class action lawsuit in ca against Ford right now for compensation in regards to the failure. Ford is denying the recall because the cost is greater than separate lawsuits. NHTSA needs to do something about this!

- Fargo, ND, USA

Dec 152016

Escape

2008 Ford Escape hybrid steering wheel vibration at idle for approx. 500 miles then all of a sudden while driving on a city street the power steering totally went out. Wrench light went on the dash, then power steering totally gone. I could hardly turn the steering wheel to get it home which was 7 miles away. 3 months before that the air conditioner quit working in August! I had a new air conditioner installed, then a week later 2 blender motors had to be replaced because ac was blowing hot air and heater blew cold air. This model must be a lemon. At this point I think this car is unsafe to drive! I have never had problems like this from Ford. I hope there is a recall on this model but after researching it sounds like Ford is unwilling to do anything about it.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Dec 132016

Escape

My car was parked in the garage on 12/13/2016 and upon going to get gas the steering tightened up while driving to the gas station. It be came very hard to turn and steer it in the right direction. I got the car home and kept it there til I called Ford and set up an appointment for it to be serviced. Now on Oct 4 2016 I had a recall done for the torque sensor. Sales code 58A016 parts code 02733. Today I picked up my car and had to pay $699.88 for the exact same thing that the recall was done for and I want to know why and why wasn't the recall gaurenteed?

- Blaine, MN, USA

Dec 152016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering assist fault indicator illuminated and the steering ability seized. The vehicle was driven home. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Levittown, NY, USA

Dec 142016

Escape

While driving power steering went out. On screen the words power steering system failure. The power steering then started to work. I drove it home without incident. When I went to go use vehicle again the power steering was not working and the power steering system failure appeared on screen.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Dec 082016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving around a curve at 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering failed. Because the vehicle was previously repaired per a power steering related recall, the dealer stated that the contact would have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Pascoaj, RI, USA

Dec 142016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. After the vehicle was started, the power steering assist fault warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,570.

- Novi, MI, USA

Dec 082016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While the vehicle was being operated, the steering column seized. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was reapired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 132,000.

- Ft Mitchell, KY, USA

Nov 212016

Escape

2-3 years ago I had issues with power steering going in and out, then I am notified of a recall due to power steering problems. I was told the solution would be reprogramming as oppose to replacing the faulty unit. That worked temporarily as now the power steering is completely out of order. Ford charged me $140 to tell me I have to pay for replacement of over $1300.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Nov 252016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 5 mph, an unknown warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (steering). The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000.

- Washington, IA, USA

Nov 192016

Escape

Power steering failure code B2278 recall 14S05 NHTSA 14V284000 power steering sensor failure. I was told by Ford that my vehicle was not in recall because it was manufactured in 2007 even though it was a 2008 vehicle.

- Doylestown, OH, USA