2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 172008

Escape

On Monday, 15 Sep 2008, on my way to work (about 7am) my steering wheel locked up. I was not able to turn the wheel no matter how much I tried. I was able to stop the vehicle and shut it off. After a few minutes, I restarted the car and everything seemed fine. On Tuesday, the same thing happened three different times. I called the dealer first thing Wednesday morning to schedule the vehicle for service. I was told to bring the vehicle in on Thursday. On my way home from work on Wednesday, I was going to drop it off at the dealer so they could start right away. After exiting the highway, the steering wheel locked again and this time I could not stop before driving off the road and into a rock wall. The side airbags deployed, but I still hit my head on the steering wheel and was knocked unconscious. The dealer said he has never heard of that happening. I was going about 30 miles per hour.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Mar 282008

Escape 4-cyl

When backing up in reverse, when you turn the steering wheel left or right, there is a loud clunking noise in the steering.

- Baltimore, MD, USA