2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Aug 142013

Escape

Sporadic loss of power steering without notice. No error codes. Steering wheel becomes very difficult to steer. Known failure is sensor in steering column. Potential of an accident is high. Canada also has an active investigation. ( 3280-03-49)

- Eaton, OH, USA

Apr 032014

Escape

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel locked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed with the steering sensor failure and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was aware of the failure. The failure mileage and current mileage was 154,000.

- Embden, ME, USA

Apr 212014

Escape

I was driving on a city street when all of a sudden the power steering stopped. It was difficult to steer and turning left was nearly impossible and very painful. I could not turn the steering wheel to park the car. I was very afraid that I would lose all steering capability and get into an accident.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Feb 162009

Escape

I was picking up my toddler from daycare and all of a sudden my steering wheel locked. I was terrified and unable to steer. I turned the vehicle off and tried to exercise the steering wheel and it loosened a little but would keep locking up after a few minutes. Found out later this happened to may other 2008 Ford Escape drivers and they experienced the same terrifying experience of driving and the steering wheel completely locking up. Took to dealership and cost was about a thousand dollars to repair. Had to get a brand new steering column. A month or two later I find out there is a recall for this problem on previous year Escapes, but this seems to be a recall issue for most of them. There should definitely be a recall on 2008's this is very dangerous and scary. If there is a recall issued, I think refunds should be issued to those of us who paid all this money to have these dangerous issues resolved.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Feb 132014

Escape

I was on the highway with my 2 children and the power steering went out making it difficult to steer and change lanes even with the assist that the vehicle gives. If it was my wife in the care I don't think she would've been able to control it. So I pulled off the highway and read the manual and waited for about 20 minutes. When I tried it again the power steering came back. It thankfully which is not good went out again but I was close to home so I was able to get it home and park it. I looked up the problem online and found that it is a current problem Ford is having and quite common. I checked for recalls but there was none. I hope this doesn't turn into a problem like GM where it costs people their lives. I hope NHTSA can help and get this defect recalled. I was told from the dealer I brought it to (fox Ford) that it was a sensor in the column but they couldn't just change the sensor it had to be the whole column so needless to say $2300 later it was fixed which the money doesn't compare to my kids safety. Again hope you can help!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 142014

Escape

Starting in about the middle of March, power steering will fail unexpectedly. Since then it has become more frequent. If you just start the car with the steering wheel basically on center, there will be no power steering at all. If you crank the wheel to the left or right as you start the car, the steering will work for a while but the wheel will shake and make a noise when it is on-center. It will then sometimes fail completely after a few minutes. Stopping and restarting the car may get it to work for a while.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Apr 102013

Escape

When I start my car the power steering wont work. I have to shut the car off and restart it and it will work. I noticed my Escape was leaking fluid took it to the Ford dealer it was the transfer case. After 2500. Its fixed and it should be a recall on both as there are numerous complaints on both of these.

- Black River, NY, USA

Jan 312014

Escape

I was driving on the interstate and lost steering! by the grace of god I was not killed by a tractor trailer that was next to me. My husband grabbed the wheel as it was locked and we barely made it to the side of the road. Had it towed to Ford. They said there was a tsb and they thought it had a bad sensor. That wasn't the problem. After two weeks of having the car, they replaced the steering column. I paid the $2,000. Bill but don't think I should have to as Ford should be recalling these vehicles! there are many instances of the same situation people have had that I found online. Locally I complained, and the Ford regional office denied my request. I wrote to Ford's president and did not get a reply. If I had died and it got into the news, they would step up, but I am sure they are assessing which would have more financial impact on them. It is clear they do not care about their customers lives. Instead of recalling, they are staying mum. What a shame and a refection on the company.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Mar 132014

Escape

After starting my car to leave the parking lot from my work, I noticed that the power steering wasn't working as I was backing out. I pulled back into my spot, put the vehicle in park, shook the steering wheel to try to get it to work, and nothing. I turned the vehicle off, restarted it, still nothing. I restarted it once more, shook the wheel while starting the engine and it worked fine. I now have to wiggle the steering wheel while starting the vehicle to make sure that the power steering assist turns on.

- Withee, WI, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

Experienced frequent loss of power steering at speed and at stop a few months ago. Replacing the battery resolved it for 2 months. Then it started again when in tucson. Extreme wobble in the steering column at all times. Restarting the car helped reset power steering for the first 2 days if the car lost power steering while at rest. Restarting the car at speed is not possible and losing power steering is pretty sudden and scary. Was driving at 70mph on interstate 10 and lost power steering several times. Had to pull over with available manual steering, which was hard. Researched online and found similar issues with the 2008 Ford Escape--loss of power steering both at rest and at speed. Filing complaint.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Escape

At first the power steering didnot work upon starting car, restarted and it worked. As time went on this got worse, having to resart several times and now once power steering works it will go off anytime even just drivingstraight on the highway. Also when power steering is working the steering wheel shakes. This should be a recall as there have been so many complaints that Ford has offered a torche sensor kit instead of having to replace the whole steering column.

- Embden, ME, USA

Mar 132014

Escape

I am writing to you to seek help on sending a formal complain to Ford Motor Co. To investigate an issue with the 2008 Ford Escapes where the steering wheel locks in while driving. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal because it has happened only once so far with my 2008 Ford Escape on 3/13/14 when I was taking my younger daughter to school. I couldn't really move the car and it got so stiff turning left or right that I thought I was going to break the thing. I turned it off and turned it back on right away and nothing happened and I got saddened because I had a field trip to go to that day with my daughter. I decided to go but it was "painful" driving the SUV with a very stiff wheel....parking the car at the field trip location it was pretty bad because I couldn't turn the car, I ended up using 2 parking spaces.I asked one of the parents about the issue and he asked me if it was leaking oil, etc(no leaks)... the weird thing that happened later that day when he checked my car, it was fine, like nothing has happened.....time went by and after hearing the last few days in the news about GMC complaints and issues never reported, I did a search engine on the web about issues with Ford Escapes. I went to "carcomplaints.com" and found out that there are over 160 complains about the same issue as mine in different parts of the country and no solutions, no recalls from Ford. I sent an email to Ford Motor Co. With no response and I decided to contact 10tv investigates to start"something" about this problem. Now more than ever I will be driving nervously thinking when the stiffness issue is going to happen again and god forbid get into an accident.

- Bexley, OH, USA

Mar 212014

Escape

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while idling at a stop sign the steering wheel jerked to the left independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the steering column assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 124,693.

- Lakes Stephens , WA, USA

Mar 032014

Escape

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving at no particular speed the vehicle lost power steering without warning. The steering wheel was very had to turn. The power steering was re-engaged once vehicle was turned of and restarted. This failure occurred thirty times over a period of a month. The vehicle was not taken to an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Dansville, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Escape

My power steering keeps going out and on and out and on at any rate of speed. I can't afford the $1500 to replace it since I just had my transmission replaced at $4,000 it is a big safety issue and I've seen 1000 other complaints online. Ford needs to do a recall. This is ridiculous. GM just did a recall and it is the same part. Can someone help with this matter please?

- Earlville, IL, USA

Jan 152014

Escape

Power steering went out. Was near home and able to get vehicle into driveway. After shutting off and re-starting power steering worked. Steering wheel vibrated while driving until repair made.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

Once again, my power steering failed and had to reset it. Is Ford waiting for a lawsuit or a death to recall this hazard? if someone's vehicle does this while at highway speeds- a lawsuit is waiting to happen.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Escape

!St time started to leave, no assist. Drove short distance to my home. Hard to steer but drivable. Second time my wife was driving and started to make a turn, no assist.was arriving at destination.both times when the car was restarted the power assist worked normally. The 2 above incidents were about 2 weeks apart.the loss of assist wile driving was on 04-01-14

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 052014

Escape

Was driving and taking a turn when the power steering went out. Stopped the car and then shut it off. When I restarted the car the power steering was back on. However, there was considerable shaking in the steering wheel with a rattling noise coming from the steering column. This was only the latest incident. Earlier in the morning when I started my car there wasn't power steering. I turned the car off and then on again at which time it worked. This has been going on for about a month happening maybe 1 or 2 times a week. The shaking and noise from the steering column is getting louder while idling.

- Chisago City, MN, USA

Feb 072014

Escape

I was driving down the street and my power steering stopped working for the third time in a month causing me to run off the road because I couldn't make the next turn. If I pull over, turn off the car, and restart then it works fine. If I was going any faster, this could have been fatal.

- Charlotte, NC, USA