2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Jul 102013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000 and the current mileage was 39,500.

- Sandwich , IL, USA

Jul 252013

Driving vehicle approx. 50 mph on a clear day, approx 105 degrees in las vegas nv, the RPM's suddenly went "limp" around 900 even though the gas peddle was fully depressed. Appearance of a wrench light and check engine light noted. Hazard lights were engaged and the vehicle was successfully pulled to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted. Ran fine like nothing happened for about a mile and a half. Same issue. Repeat troubleshooting. Incident continued to happen for 4 more days consistently. Taken into Ford dealership for diagnostic and repair. Mechanic contacted me after diagnostic and informed that the code for the throttle body was in error. Replaced the faulty part( I kept it at my request due to the possible investigation into the matter) and the vehicle now runs fine. Thank goodness the issue did not occur in a busy intersection where an accident could have potentially endangered anyone.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 4-cyl

The engine sputters and stalls while driving. It has done this 10 or more times in the last two weeks. The yellow wrench symbol is displayed on the instrument panel. After getting to the side of the road and switching the car off and back on, the car will run fine for a few miles - sometimes for a day or two. After talking with a couple Ford dealers, I was told that this is a common problem with the throttle body and there was no throttle body's available to fix the problem. There was a two to three month backorder for the part. If I keep driving the car it will be a matter of time before the car will cause an accident. If this is a known problem Ford should be responsible for the repair.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Mar 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at around 70mph and I noticed a light that looks like a wrench. The car began to lose acceleration. I had to pull over, stop the car and turn it back on and it began working again. The problem reappears after about 4-5 min of driving. This problem comes and goes. It will work fine for a few weeks and then it will start up again and disappear after a few weeks.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Escape 4-cyl

At full speed on the freeway the throttle body decided to go into limp mode and go to an idle only. I had to quickly pull to the side or I would have been hit. If I would have been in heavy traffic I would have caused an accident. The situation happened again today while waiting for a red light. It sounds like that is being investigated already.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

When driving the truck we lose acceleration and pressing the gas pedal does nothing. This has happened now 4 times. The idle sits between 800 & 1100 rpms when this happens. We took the truck to the service department at pine lake Ford in laporte, Indiana and they said that the throttle body needs to be replaced at a cost of $383. Our extended warranty just ran out and this seems to be a recall problem when I investigated it. We are afraid this is going to cause an accident given the fact most of our driving is highway driving. Why isn't Ford owning up to this problem and recall this part" does someone need to be hurt or be killed before Ford takes action"

- La Porte, IN, USA

Jul 112013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving on interstate and lost power with no warning. Went into "limp home mode, Ford's safety feature, ha ha". managed to maneuver to the side of the road without getting run over, but there were a lot of horn blowing and upset people behind me. Once on the side of the road, shut off engine and cranked right back up. Quit again before arriving at home on the same trip and several other times. Very dangerous situation. Does someone have to die before Ford will recall a manufacturing defect?

- Somerville, AL, USA

Jul 202013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the check engine light illuminated as the vehicle decelerated and the steering wheel tightened. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was stated that the eye bar pulley needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- North Beach , MD, USA

May 152013

While driving at approximately 60 mph, the engine suddenly shut off and the wrench sign lit up. I had to coast through 3 lanes of traffic in order to pull over to the side of the road. I turned off the engine and it started up again, however the engine kept shutting off every few miles. Thankfully, I was able to get it home. I took it to an auto parts store to diagnose the problem, and found out I'm having a problem with the throttle body sensor. While looking up the part on the internet, I noticed that a lot of people are complaining about Ford (especially Escapes) having this issue. Why isn't there a recall? of course my warranty has run out and I will have to come out of pocket with the repairs. This is a very dangerous situation. I now have to take the bus back and forth from work because I cannot afford to repair it at this time. My daughter is in college and I refuse to let here use the car while it is this condition. She has to find a ride every day to summer school and her job. Please please please have a recall! it is not fair to hardworking people, especially since Ford knows this is a problem. I will never buy a Ford again.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

I was just pulling away from a drive thru window when the "wrench" light came on, and the truck stopped moving forward as if it had been shifted into neutral, which it hadn't been. I turned off the vehicle and waited a few moments and restarted it and it was running fine, with no further lights being illuminated on the dash. This same problem happened again approx 3 weeks later, although this time I was going approx. 20 mph, having just accelerated from a stop sign. The wrench light came on, but this time the engine light also came on, and then the truck lost power. I turned the engine off, waited a few moments and restarted it. This time, however, the engine light did not go off, so I took it to an auto parts store to read the computer. They found diagnostic code P2111, throttle body stuck open. After a few hours of sitting in my parking lot at work, when I started the vehicle there were no lights illuminated on the dash, and per the dealer's service department, the computer had reset itself.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving 35 mph in town when vehicle seemed to be losing power. I pulled over to the side of the road. The engine was running at a very rough idle. I tried to accelerate but it would barely move. I turned the engine off and restarted it. It did the same thing, no acceleration. I did this several times before it would run properly. It seemed rather jerky while driving. I was about 10 miles from home when this happened. On the way home I was driving at 55 mph and it died completely. The check engine light came on this time. I got it restarted and made it home. I have a code reader at my house. I checked and codes P2111 and P2112 were stored in the computer. I checked with a mechanic and was told the codes relate to the throttle body assembly. I was going to have it repaired but the mechanic told me that the part is on national back order. This is my only vehicle and I' M afraid to drive. What can I do.

- Smithton , IL, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on highway at about 65 mph. Driving for about 30 min. When vehicle started to stutter and slow down. Pushing the accelerator and no response -RPM and speed dropping quickly. Almost run over by other vehicles on highway. Wrench light came on the dash panel. Car was pulled over to side of road and barely going at 900 RPM and ~ 2 mph. Needed to ha E car towed. This is a very dangerous issue that needs to be fixed immediately!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Car goes into limp mode and you have to get off of highway and turn off car and restart to reset computer. This works for about 10 miles and then it starts all over again. My dealership has the car and is replacing the throttle body so we can drive the car and not be in danger.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Jul 012013

I was driving on the freeway going 70 mph. The gas pedal suddenly went all the way to the floor but the car was getting no power. Luckily the freeway was not crowded and we were able to coast to the side of the freeway. I turned the car off and restarted it and the pedal seemed to be working. But 30 miles later it happened again. I brought the car to the Ford dealership where they said the problem was the throttle body. The part is on back order for 3 weeks.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

This is the 3rd time this problem happened. I'm driving normally, at a constant speed, and all of a sudden, wrench light comes on, rpms do weird things, gas pedal doesn't do anything, putting it in neutral in a drift downspeed does nothing, park does nothing. Putting it in park and shutting the engine, and starting again makes the light go away and run fine again. This is a huge safety concern as I travel with young children and this will happen with no warning at all. Very disappointed Ford will not recall and fix this very common problem.

- Louisville, LA, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at various speeds, conditions, the wrench warning light appears and the car becomes limp and non responsive. Engine was running hard. Had to turn off vehicle and restart (which was difficult). This occurred again within minutes, this time with the check engine light coming on. Went directly to repair shop and had it checked. Was told that error code P2111 was being shown. The throttle body was cleaned and the gas pedal assembly was replaced. The next day, the same problems continued. I am scared to drive this car, especially with my children in it as I am worried it will die while pulling out in traffic or that someone will rear end us.

- Granger, IN, USA

Feb 192013

Escape 4-cyl

Was driving about 25-30 mph on a side street, vehicle started to sputter and stall, felt like the engine was dying, so was able to pull off into a parking lot and turned the car off, sat for a few mins, then restarted and pulled out and everything was fine. Approximately 6 months later, similar issue, was driving about 25 on a side street, car sputtered, stalled, so pulled over, turned off, waited then restarted. A few days later, was driving about 35 on a side street, same issue, then the check engine light came on, so pulled over and called for a tow. Car is currently being serviced at the Ford dealership and have been notified that it was a throttle body issue, which I am having to pay $550 to fix.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 092013

While driving on the beltline, the vehicle stopped responding to the accelerator. I put on hazard lights, changed two lanes to get to the right-hand shoulder, and stopped. Fortunately the traffic was not heavy at the time (9:30pm). Restarting the vehicle fixed the problem, and I was able to drive home. However due to the safety hazard, I have not driven it since.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 032013

I was driving down the highway and the gas pedal stopped working and my car wouldn't go I pulled off the road and turned my car off. I restarted it and continued to drive it did it again and I went to the dealership, it did it all the way there I had to keep pulling over and restarting. The code came up throttle stuck open. I am not waiting for a new throttle body that is on back order and will take around 5-8 days, it is day 7 and the part is still not there.

- Jacksonville , NC, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle looses power and must pull to the side of the road. The engine continues to run roughly but no power goes to the wheels. Once stopped I turn vehicle off for a minute. Once restarted the vehicle seems to run okay. But it happened 3 times on 7/8/2013. The code is P2111. I took it to the dealer and the part is on back order so I do not know when this will be resolved. This is my only car and I feel it is unsafe. According to your websight there are 2 action reports. #S PE13003 & DP12006. And 2 technical service bulletins #S 09-23-5 & 10-21-6.

- Rockford, IL, USA