2009 Ford Escape steering problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Feb 112016

Escape

While driving the Escape the steering wheel just locks up in the middle of driving. I have to get the Escape to the side of the road and shut it off and restart to get the steering wheel to unlock. Have taken it to a Ford dealership and they say it's not on recall so they cant fix it. They did clean the wires and said it should be fine, but it still did it again.

- Lowman, NY, USA

Apr 162016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While attempting to park the vehicle, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The electric power steering warning light illuminated. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Hutto, TX, USA

Apr 042016

Escape

Power steering suddenly quit working while driving! after researching issue on internet, Escapes have had several recalls on different model years involving steering., but not my 2009. It is obvious the problems with the steering has been going on many years but Ford has not corrected. If my son had been driving when it went out, I shiver to think what may have been the outcome. Steering issues are very serious safety problems. Come on Ford fix the Escapes issues.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 072016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. When the vehicle was started, the power steering column shook uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the column assembly steering was defective and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,457.

- Carey, ID, USA

Apr 012016

Escape

Steering wheel began shaking while the vehicle was stopped and at low speeds while driving in rush hour traffic. The shaking stopped for 1 day - then began again. Two days following the dashboard sensor read - power steering assist fault. Power steering failed at this time. I contacted Ford - as I believe this to be directly related to a large recall 14S05 1.3M vehicles. Ford courtesy cas9191445. Ford has denied this is related to the recall - advising this vehicle VIN does not match the referenced VIN's- however I am experiencing the noted issues. What assistance can the NHTSA provide adding this vehicle into the recall. I contacted local Ford dealerships in hope of receiving assistance/guidance - this also was unsuccessful. Ford has referenced tsb no. 14-0016

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 152016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering ability seized. The dealer diagnosed that the power steering column needed replacement. The contact also stated that the vehicle was repaired under a recall for the power steering back in August of 2015. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 212016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering instrument cluster module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V824000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,414.

- St. Port Lucie, FL, USA

Nov 242015

Escape

Before 6/18/15 randomly while driving any speed my vehicle had a wrench warning light illuminate and loses complete power along with steering, the car shuts off completely you have to turn ignition off and restart. It would run fine for several days and then randomly happen again or possibly multiple times in a day. 6/17/15 - I brought vehicle to Ford dealership to fix recall (13N03) ¿ tech replaced throttle body for this correction. At the same time they also performed a recall (14S05) ¿ tech reprogrammed pscm for correction. 11/24/15 ¿ was driving my vehicle when the wrench light came on again and the whole steering column froze up. Had to stop and turn vehicle off in traffic and back on. No correction to problem the vehicle was immediately brought back to Ford dealership. 11/25/15 ¿ I was told the torque sensor needs replaced. I advised them the recall was not properly fixed the first time. I was informed that part is not under warranty according to Ford service cite. 11/27/15 ¿ the torque sensor as indicated on their diagnostic testing and replacement of this part failed to fix the problem with the steering being locked up. Service tech contacted Ford hotline to try and figure out why the problem was not addressed with replacement of the part that indicated as the issue. 11/30/15 ¿ Ford service technicians had to work with Ford hotline to troubleshoot vehicle. They said now my whole steering column would need replacement. Ford said I needed to pay for both parts (which did not fix any problem) and labor. I refuse to pay for any parts. My vehicle has been at dealership with this issue so long my tags are now dead. My car needs a safety inspection and service manager said they could perform the safety inspection and just electronically put the ¿passed¿ information into the system. Vehicle is not safe and is still at dealership to date.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Mar 012016

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 10 mph, the steering lost power without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no recalls. The failure mileage was 61,500.... updated 04/11/16 the dealer replaced the entire steering column. Updated 04/20/16.

- Enon, OH, USA

Feb 232016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while the driver was driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jan 262016

Escape

I took my Ford Escape into Ford to get the steering recall done and they reprogrammed it and 2 weeks after the steering became worse so I took it back into Ford and they are now tell me that the steering column needs to be replaced and that was part of the recall and will not do anything about it recall number 14S05 they steering wheel is jerking uncontrollable and all over the road the wheel jerks all the time

- Townsend, TN, USA

Feb 172016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact received a recall repair for NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering); however, the power steering failed. The failure occurred after the repair. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated the failure was not related to the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in the recall for which it was previously repaired. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Feb 182016

Escape

While driving my power steering locked, making it extremely difficult to steer the vehicle. I managed to pull over stop the vehicle and restart the vehicle at which time the symptoms went away but happened again when I stopped the vehicle and restarted to drive home.

- Fpo, AE, USA

Feb 122016

Escape

Significant vibration in the steering wheel and intermittent loss of power steering. Although the vehicle was covered by recall 14S05, Ford is unwilling to replace the torque sensor because they "reprogrammed" it and closed out the recall in August 2014, which they claim fixed the problem. Obviously, it did not fix the problem.

- Elkhorn, NE, USA

Dec 152015

Escape

I received a recall notice number 14S05 involving the power steering, I took the car into brian motors in everett Washington on December 16, 2015. Recall was taken care. I had no problem prior taking it into the dealer. Approximately 2 weeks later I experienced problems with the steering. I returned the vehicle to brian motors in everett Washington and was told that the power steering column assembly needed to be replaced. This was one of the repair options listed in the recall. I was then informed that Ford had closed the recall and the price of the repair would be approximately 1500$. after calling Ford costumer service in dearborn and being told again that I would be responsible for the repair because the recall had been closed. I have since found out that many owners of this year and model Escape have experienced identical problems and received the same response from Ford. I believe that there is a defect in the power steering column on 2009 Ford Escapes and it is Ford responsibility to correct the problem. I believe that this could pose a risk of accident to anyone driving this car and that Ford needs to address this immediately.

- Everett, WA, USA

Mar 092015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while the driver was making a turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was serviced under the NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Berkley, MA, USA

Jan 132016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that prior to the failure, the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,674.

- Hillsboro, AL, USA

Jan 292016

Escape

My 2009 Ford Escape on Jan 29,2016 went to dealer for oil change service man turned key for mileage a message read power steering assist fault he said I wonder why this is showing" he fiddled with a few buttons and dismissed it. Left car for oil change returned picked up went to apt. For front brakes and tire rotation left driving about 10 miles per hour suddenly felt a shaking in steering wheel then loss of power steering nearly ran into a curb got control drove to near auto store looked for fluid stick was not one, went back to dealership told them my power steering just went out? they said we never heard of this before" another service man came listened said he had a truck in a month ago same thing cost customer $1500 I was shocked left went home my wife suggested I go to a auto mechanic a block from us I did he did research while I was there, he found a recall in 2014 for 2008-2011 Ford Escapes for power steering loss. I went back to dearlership took the print out of safety recall they did something on their computer found they had done a computer reprograming in Aug 2014 and sorry the recall for us was closed. I did not receive a letter but the service dept in Aug 2014 when having a regular oil change they performed this reprogramming for this recall which after now leaves me unable to get help. They recently explained since they did their duty at that time and found nothing than that closed the safety recall for our faulty power steering now gone. I asked them what if you had not done that reprograming in Aug 2014 and now my power steering gone would I now be able to get it fixed under the recall he said yes! this seems to me like a scam to all their customers, they knew exactly the problem and knew I may have a loss later on and covered their a ss ES. They have quoted me $1300 to replace steering column, rack, tierods. The owner of the dealership said to C

- Gridley, CA, USA

Mar 192014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel began to shake violently and became inoperable while the power steering assist light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering torque sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Naples, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, there was a loss of power steering without warning. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After the vehicle resumed in operation the failure continued. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the power steering control module was replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Oroville, CA, USA