2.6

2010 Ford Escape brakes problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Escape

Like millions of other Ford Escape owners, I have a big problem with the throttle body on my 2010 Ford Escape limited V6. First I completely lost all propulsion/acelaration while driving at approx. 35mph. Coasted to side of road, turned engine off. Turned engine on and voila! runs just fine. Several weeks later, at 75mph full loss of proplusion on a major highway, coasted to side of road, turned engine off. Turned engine on and voila! runs just fine, until about 5miles down the road when it happed again. Then about another 3wks later, it happened again on a backroad in nc at about 60mph. This trip it happened several times and finally once I got parked and turned the engine off and back on (just to check), the check engine light came on. When I left my location, praying I'd make it home, no engine light, but now the wrench light came on. Stopped for gas (I had too, I was traveling through the country) and when I restarted the vehicle, no engine light or wrench light indicator. This problem has happened again on two more occasions yet neither problem indicator light has illuminated. I've had the truck "computer scanned" with no error/problem codes showing up. I've called 2 different dealerships, who told me "flat out"...no problem lights/code...no fix under the "customer service extended warranty. You'll have to pay out of pocket. Millions of these vehicles have been given the so called "dustomer service extended warranty" yet the stipulations it makes it virtually impossible to obtain the necessary repairs of a known defective part/system malfunction. If by chance the indicator lights do show up, they won't even accept a picture, showing mileage or something to verify it's that vehicle or take a document from another reliable source (I.e., advance auto, etc.) we need a recall! please help!

- Carrollton, VA, USA

May 302016

Escape

Rear seat behind the driver is locked in the down position, and cannot be returned upright. When driving, the vehicle spontaneously surges forward, especially when starting from parked or a stopped position and at highway speeds. Code read "throttle body actuator"

- Brillion, WI, USA

Sep 062010

Escape

1st got Escape had to have some reprogramming affecting the transmission. 2nd had to have the transmission repair. 3rd my dash lights blink from bright to dim during the daytime/ 4th had to have the ignition replace - when I put my key in--would not turn-. 5th even after having the transmission repair-still changes hard. 6th sometimes when parked on and incline-place in drive-will make a "pop" noise. Still do not feel like my car is working/running at a 100%. I did take out another wrty--just incase--however it is almost up. My husband & I have drove Ford for the past 35 years-am very disappointed with my Escape. 7th use stability control once---is it suppose to sound like the car is breaking into?

- Bluff City , TN, USA

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

For the past 8 months my Escape has been stalling while I am driving or at a stop light, and when I am at a complete stop the car moves forward without stepping on the gas pedal!!!

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Jul 032013

Escape

Was driving on the 101 in phoenix Arizona and the car started jerking. Luckily I was close to an exit so I got off. I turned off the car, restarted it, and started to drive. I drove about 100 feet and it stalled. I was able to restart the car and drive it a half mile to a gas station. However, the car was jerking the whole time. The official word was that the throttle was the issue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 012013

Escape 6-cyl

On approximately October 1, 2013, I began to experience stalling in my 2010 Ford Escape. As this happened, a wrench light came on, and the engine died. I turned it off, and it restarted and was fine for a period of time. This was repeated on several occasions. I tried to have the car repaired at the local dealership, but they were booked full for the past week, so I made an appointment for today (October 8, 2013). When I explained the problem to the dealership representative, he told me that it would probably happen again. It happened on my way home that day (last week) and also on the way in to the dealership for repairs this morning. After several hours, they called and said that my car was repaired. The billing says that their "diagnosis verified my concern, and they checked "oasis. Ssm32332. They performed etb and check failed. They found fault and replaced electronic throttle body. Retest passed." I was told that my extended warranty covered the repairs, but I was charged the $100 deductible. When I tried to check what a throttle body was, I came upon this site, which indicates this has been an ongoing problem with these vehicles, so I wonder if I should have been charged or if this should have been a recall issue. I did not drive my car for a week because I was afraid of having an accident due to the stalling situations.

- Rockport, TX, USA

Sep 082013

Escape

Car throttle almost stalls to rough idle, sputters but cannot give it gas or rev engine wrench symbol lights up you must turn off car to restart after about 10 times and it happening every mile or so the check engine light is on and stays on even after restarting. This will happen out of nowhere while driving at any speed but idles just enough to pull over to safety ! restart and drive a mike and either just idling or accelerating it just quits going. I called taylor Ford and was told I was out of warranty but need throttle body and approx $450 ! so they too know it's an issue!

- Taylor, MI, USA

Sep 112013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when all the sudden I car lowered speed super fast, so O had to pull over and turn the card off. Let it sit for about 2-5 minutes then started back up. It is getting worse and it happened 7 times in one day.

- Temple , TX, USA

Aug 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road in light traffic. All of a sudden my car jerked a little and lost acceleration. The wrench light came on, and I was able to pull over to the side of the road. I stopped the car, and cut it off. I started it back up, and the light was off. And everything ran fine for the remainder of the drive. Since then, this behavior has happened once or twice every couple of days. I have taken it to a shop to look at it, but will be taking it to the Ford service department as soon as I can after the shop confirmed that it is a problem with the electronic wiring with the motor.

- Richlands, NC, USA

Aug 302013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Ford Escape 2010, driving on the highway, the wrench light comes on and the car begins to sputter and loses power. It revs up then down. I turn off the car, wait a minute, and when I start it back it runs fine, then repeats after 20 minutes of driving.

- Bedford, NY, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on highway 680 in stop N go traffic. I put my foot on gas to go, but my car just wouldn't go. I tried to accelerate, but nothing happened. I quickly pulled over in the shoulder on the right side. The car started shaking. I put my car in parking mode and turned off the engine. I restarted it again, and it worked. So, I went into the oncoming traffic to get back on the highway. After about a mile further in stop N go traffic, my car did the same exact thing. It stopped working, and started shaking when I pulled over to the shoulder. I turned off the engine again. I wasn't feeling comfortable with driving my car since same thing happened twice. So, I had to call the tow company and had it towed to my home.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle, car stalls in the middle of traffic on highway and streets, no warning.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Ford Escape XLT, used on Feb 28, 2012 from a Ford dealer, northeast phila. It had 52,000 miles. I purchased an extended 3year 36,000mile bumper to bumper extended warranty from date of purchase. Upon driving off the lot, I noticed high idle at rest, low acceleration and shifting by itself when accelerating and trying to slow to stop. I immediately took the vehicle back to the dealer, a couple of days later. Service mgr. Said that he took my vehicle home, drove it, found nothing wrong. I showed him service bulletins from Ford documenting vehicle accidents, similar complaints, as a result of the main computer program of the vehicle, wrong coding, codes not being read correctly, etc. Service manager denied seeing this information, despite me giving him copies. It is now August 16, 2013, vehicle is worse, idling at rest 3000 RPM, 10-20 mph idles at 4,000-5,000 RPM, louder than the radio. Vehicle shifting itself, hesitating, when trying to accelerate onto a highway ramp, or going up a hill. Vehicle shifting, and jerking while trying to slow to a stop. Took vehicle to Ford dealer route 1 langhorne, pa, closer to my home. Was told by service rep that computer codes from vehicle not being picked up by service diagnostic computer. "we had to clear your vehicle computer and reprogram it. Not covered under manufacturer or extended warranty. Therefore you pay the $90 diagnostic fee". it is routine maintenance". I said how is a computer malfunction in the vehicle, requiring a complete wipe and reprogram routine maintenance? they refused to return my $90. Vehicle still same problem, slightly less, a little more quieter, still running 4000 RPM on mild acceleration. I am afraid, because it was shifting up when I was trying to slow to a stop.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Aug 142013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate at a speed of 75mph when all of a sudden I lost all power to the drive train and the RPM went down to 900. I was traveling in the left lane on the interstate and had to make my way across all three lanes of traffic with no power.

- Temple, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

The car stalls out and loses power without warning during operation. Speed at the time is irrelevant. People will die because of this defective throttle body. Its inevitable. Don't wait for a family of 4 to stall out on a 4 lane highway going 65 mph causing an 8 car pile up involving a tractor trailer and catastrophic injuries/fatalities. Recall the cars. Save lives.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

We had just turned onto our street, started to proceed up the hill at about 35-40 mph. Car suddenly went unresponsive. Wrench light indicator lit up on dashboard. Started to idle very hard, then surge, then low idle, then surge RPM. No gas pedal response at all. Luckily we had just got off the highway, and were close to home. However, we were going uphill. We had just enough momentum to get over the hill and coast down to our driveway. Upon putting the car in park in our driveway, the RPM's were fluctuating from almost 0, then shooting back up to over 2500. From wanting to stall, to wanting to race ahead. In researching, I have seen this described as a faulty electronic throttle body, which apparently has affected over 725,000 of these vehicles and still without recall. This is insane and highly dangerous if you are traveling in heavy traffic or on the highway as you have no control over the vehicle just wanting to stop dead. We were lucky in that we were already off of the interstate and close to home. Please, please investigate this issue further! our normal warranty has just expired of course, and they say this is not covered by the powertrain warranty. Great, we have to pay not only for the car, but for it's defects as well. We don't just have an extra $500 laying around to repair this! this should be a recall.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Jul 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and suddenly the wrench lit up and my car began to slow down, even though I continued to hold down the gas pedal. I was able to get the side of the highway since it was late at night, but during rush hour, I would have created a pile up. The car started fine about 10 minutes later, but I took it to the dealership and was told that it was a throttle body problem and they are on back order and I would have to pay for a rental car or drive a car around that could randomly stall for the next week. I am currently waiting for the parts to come in.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Jul 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving South on highway at 60 miles per hour I heard engine noise and car slowed down to a stop I started it again about 50 feet it did same again I took it to where I bought it and they said throttle body and it was on backorder and would be 10 days to get part never said a word to me about this being a problem with these cars this is a very serious safety issue I was driving in heavy traffic and my car just slows to a stop.

- Polk City, FL, USA

Dec 082012

Escape 6-cyl

Serious and life-threatening malfunction impeded my ability to control my 2010 Escape occurred while driving 50mph on a very busy highway. My Escape stalled suddenly without any warning what so ever in the middle of the lane while driving on the busy highway. As I tried to continue driving, pushing the throttle pedal, the Escape would not go, it slowed down suddenly on it's own. I was able to ease off the payment to the side of the lane; however, I was almost hit in the rear by a auto behind me before I could get off the payment. I was fortunate to have been at a place where I could ease off the payment. The highway is curvy and hilly. This scared me to death. A wrench light came on indicating a malfunction of the throttle/powertrain. The engine was running fine. I turned off the engine and waited a few minutes, then I cranked it and it cranked fine. The wrench light went off. I tried driving it again, and once I pulled back into the highway, giving it gas, it would barely go, so I eased back again. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealership. After it was inspected I was told the electric throttle body had malfunctioned and needed replacing. It was the caused of the sudden stalling while I was driving. My life as well as others were put in a dangerous situation because of this malfunction. I understand that there has been a lot of complaints like mine already filed here. Ford should issue a recall immediately before any deaths occur. I had to pay $470 to get this taken care since my warranty was out 3/36,000. I was told that this was not covered by the powertrain 5/60,000.

- Silver Creek , GA, USA

Dec 312009

Escape

We were staying at a hotel at the inner harbor in baltimore Maryland. We pulled into the entry way of the hotel. We got out of vehicle and were going to have it valet parked for the evening. Before the driver could get more than 7 feet from where we were standing the side curtain airbags deployed. The driver did not hit anything, did not jump a curb, or do anything that should have caused the airbags to deploy. We had to have the Escape towed to a dealer in baltimore Maryland. The dealer stated that although no damage was noted anywhere on the SUV, Ford would not warranty the repairs as there was some sort of impact data in the computer. We then went through our insurance carrier, they sent out an adjuster. The adjuster for state farm along with 2 Ford mechanics searched the SUV top to bottom, front to back and could not find any reason or visible damage that would cause the airbags to deploy. So state farm is not going to cover the repairs, and upon further conversations with Ford motors, they state that they would not cover the repairs and there was no way to appeal their decision. I am filing a formal complaint with you today as I feel this could have been a catastrophic accident if it were to occur just 10 mins earlier while drive 60 mph on interstate I 95. Please note that the vehicle only has 1128 miles on it at the time of the incident. Should you require additional information, I have written statements from the valet drive at the hotel, a statement from the state farm adjuster stating no damage, pictures showing so damage, the hotline request data the master mechanics sent to Ford with the dtc codes. Thank you in advance for your time.

- Newark, DE, USA