2010 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 23)

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

1st - vehicle was refueled with 87 octane and just drove one mile down and up a hill were it stopped at a red light. Light turned green and the throttle was applied and vehicle lurched and stalled. 2nd - vehicle was driving around neighborhood going 20 mph and started to sputter and hesitate 3rd - rush hour traffic were it was stopped then throttle applied and lurched and stalled 4th - using cruise control driving 75 mph down parkway, vehicle hesitated and then quickly slowed down to 20 mph and stalled 5th - driving to dealer to figure out hesitation and stall, accelerated from red light and hesitated and stalled 6th - still enroute to dealer, check engine light is now illuminated, and vehicle stalls again only 300 feet from last stall. Engine has rough idle. Police officer suggested throttle body problem because his Ford Expedition recently had the same problem and symptoms. Dealer diagnosed a bad throttle body. Vehicle did not have any check engine light illuminated until the last 6th stall. Every time vehicle experienced problem there was no throttle response and restart in neutral led to re-stalling. Vehicle had to be stopped and re-started after transmission was placed in park. Engine sputtered and was resistant to acceleration after 6th stall but slow smooth acceleration proved effective. All stalls were experienced with light to moderate acceleration.

- Fort Campbell, KY, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Sitting at a traffic light, when it turned green attempted to accelerate, throttle became unresponsive immediately and the powertrain system fault light came on. After turning off the ignition the car started back up with out incident and continued the drive that day. About 1 week later, had the same thing happen twice in one day and then four times the next. Of the seven total incidents, 3 of which happened in major intersections blocking flow of traffic and turned me into a safety hazard.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 152012

As I was driving, the engine just stopped, I tried to give it gas, but it wouldn't go. The vehicle slowed down and I had to pull over. The wrench indicator light was on. I turned the vehicle off, then on again, and the wrench light was off, and the vehicle was fine. This has happened about a dozen times since the initial incident.

- Graham, WA, USA

Sep 182013

Driving my vehicle home for lunch my vehicle started sputtering and my cruise control kicked off. Vehicle RPM's dropped and accelerator pedal quit working. So I pulled over. I used my dtc device to see what code is popping up and it was P2111. I put car in park, shut it off, waited 30 seconds and started it back up and drove home. Now I'm here typing this up.

- Leesville, LA, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Tonight I was driving home doing about 55mph when my vehicle suddenly shuddered and lost all power. Luckily I was able to coast it to where it was mostly off of the road. It did not die but continued to shake while in high idle. The power steering was not working properly and no engine lights came on. Pushing the gas pedal produced zero results. I shut it down and pondered whether to try and start it back up or just call a tow truck. Being out in the country I decided to take a chance. It started up and ran fine...for less than two miles...when it repeated the same scenario only in a much more dramatic loss of power shudder and real rough idle. Wrench light came on. I took a picture of the display panels. Didn't notice the loss of power steering that time and the engine did not die. Called the dealership... no tow truck available. Took my chances again and drove it to the dealership since it was only a few miles further then going home. Didn't have any problem during that drive but detected an engine whine sound that I had never noticed before. Vehicle has 53,393 miles on it. Engine was pulled at 8K for oil leaks. Have had numerous incidents of shifting clunking sound at take off over the life of it. Have had brakes fail in reverse. Always pump them before backing out of my garage to make sure they're working ok that day. All work, right down to tire rotations have been done only at the dealership I purchased this brand new at. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty. Guess I'll learn tomorrow what's up with it this time. Sad to have a $28,000 vehicle that I've never really trusted since its early failure. Just thankful I wasn't still on the interstate moving along in 70+ mph rush hour traffic. I will never trust this vehicle again after experiencing this.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Sep 042013

Escape 6-cyl

The first incident happened on 09-10-13, a week after having the works and an alignment done on my car at a Ford dealer. While driving 40mph, my vehicle surged and lunged, then I lost ability to accelerate my vehicle had to pull over put flashers on and restart vehicle. A yellow wrench light lit up on my dash. I looked it up in the manual which indicated a throttle problem. I called the dealership which serviced my vehicle from the side of the road and they agreed that it was a throttle problem but not to worry unless it happens again; then call to make an appointment. The second incident occurred 09-14-13 while driving at 45 mph. Again I lost ability to accelerate and the wrench light lit up on my dash. I had to coast into a parking lot to restart my vehicle. I called the dealership and made an appointment to have this problem addressed. I pay for an extended service plan for my vehicle and they still told me it was not covered and that they have been having a lot of problems with vehicles experiencing the same thing. I had to pay out of my pocket to replace and fix the problem on a vehicle that is just over three years old and that is not right. The problem did not stem from my operating the vehicle.

- Westland, MI, USA

Sep 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle decelerated as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 56,400.

- Bradford, PA, USA

Aug 012013

It, has happen various times since August, as I drive, the engine start to either misfire or no power at all, it idle normal but as soonest I step on the accelerator start the problem, has light the check engine several times and as the mechanic scans the vehicle the only code that shows is P2111, the last time that happens, have to use a towing service because can get it moving, before I used to turn the engine off, wait several seconds and started again and the situation disappears for a few days and appears back again. Please advice.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Sep 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I was at intersection trying to cross 4 lanes car lost power barely got acrosss lanes safely.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Sep 162013

When attempting to accelerate from a stop the throttle did nothing. It barely moved. Pulled off to side of road and restarted. After a bit it started up and drove fine for another 5 miles but then it happened again. Pulled off road, restarted and returned home as I was too afraid to continue driving it. Taking it to mechanic today to have it diagnosed. During the drive home the transmission was shifting early and otherwise acting slightly strange.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Sep 022012

Escape 6-cyl

The Ford Escape would refuse to accelerate. This happened multiple times. The wrench warning light would come on. It was dangerous when this would happen entering freeways. The throttle body was replaced by the Ford dealer. The dealer seemed to know exactly what was wrong.

- Chuluota, FL, USA

Sep 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on far left lane of freeway at 70mph, heard/felt clunk (which felt like the transmission slipping but found out after the repair it wasn't trans) pushed gas pedal no acceleration, luckily no one was coming behind me and I was on a slight downhill so I was able to move to the shoulder, put it in park and tried to push gas pedal again still no acceleration, the car was running in idle and stayed that way until tow truck driver came, shut car off towed to Ford dealership. On work order it says- throttle body and motor asy, inspect and verify, lost power while driving, hook up ids selftest PCM P2111, perform throttle body test, failed, throttle body fault, replace throttle body, reset kam, retest operation ok. Had to pay lots of my money out of my pocket and pay for a rental car and gas. Researched internet to find this is happening to many people and Ford won't do a recall. They should!!! I have always been a loyal Ford customer since my dad worked there many years. I have always driven a Ford and would like to continue on but may have to rethink this. I wonder how many others there really are that this has happened to. It could have caused an accident if people would have been on the freeway behind me which I am lucky it didn't. please look into this with Ford and get a resolution of a recall so I can be reimbursed and get the repairs done so this doesn't continue to happen to others! thank you.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Sep 122013

While attempting to accelerate after a stop the vehicle lost all power began to shake and jerk then went into limp mode. The car drove fine after pulling off to the side of the road and restarting only to do the same thing a few minutes later.

- Florence, AL, USA

Sep 042013

Escape 4-cyl

I was going home from work in a middle lane of the interstate at 60 mph. The Escape starting coasting down as if the engine had died. I gave a little more gas, no effect. I gave more and more gas until floored, no effect. By now I was down to 45 mph in multiple lanes of heavy interstate traffic. It was difficult to just get into the right lane in order to get to the shoulder. On the shoulder, I found that the engine was idling, I thought it had died. I just could not rev it above the idle RPM. I turned it off & read the owner's manual which said to get to a dealer. I re-started it & revved it a bit. I cautiously drove about a mile on the shoulder to the exit, which was my exit. I carefully went home without further problems. I drove to work the next morning without problems. On the way home it happened again. On a small two-lane road with no shoulders & ditches immediately at the edge of the road. I had to stop in the middle of my lane to restart it. Luckily a car coming up behind me slowed to a stop to let me get going again. I researched the "throttle control / powertrain" error message and found that it has been a common problem since 2004 for multiple Ford vehicles. There were many, many complaints that Ford would not honor the powertrain warranty even though the message points to a powertrain problem. Warranty is for up to 36,000 miles and powertrain warranty is for up to 72,000. I had 38,000 miles on the odometer. I contacted my Ford dealer. No matter how I questioned him, his response boiled down to bring it in so we can look at it. The only estimate I could get was that if warranty did not cover it, there would be a $99.99 diagnostic fee if Ford did not perform any suggested repair. I found in my records that I had taken the Escape in to this dealer at ~5,800 miles for a recall that stated that it would prevent this problem!

- Walker, LA, USA

Sep 082013

Was driving on the freeway and car started to jerk and I started to lose speed even though I was stepping on the gas nothing was happening. I was able to pull over safely to shoulder and put the car into park while the car was shaking violently and turn it off, waited a few minutes and with hesitation it started back up and I was able to continue home.. happened a second time the very next day only doing 25 and a wrench indicator light came on and again no gas or speed from the pedal was able to shut it off restart and continue home.. very scary and dangerous situation it needs to be addressed..

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving approx. 40mph over a freeway overpass, the car lurched repeatedly, and slowed way down. I could not accelerate. The wrench light came on. I was able to eventually get it pulled over, turn it off and restart it. For the next day and a half, it would die almost every time I came to a stop for more than 30 seconds, or any time I tried to drive up my inclined driveway. I rested it the next day (Sunday) and Monday morning drove it to the dealership for repair. It did not die on the way to the dealership. Now the dealership has it and they have road tested it 2 or 3 times and can't get it to repeat the problem or show codes. I've found several links online to people having the exact same problem and it turns out to be the throttle body. However, the Ford dealer says they cannot fix it under warranty unless it shows them codes or repeats the behavior for them. They are not allowed to just take my word for it that this happened. As it's apparently an intermittent problem, who knows when it will happen again? so if it doesn't do it for them in the next day, I'll have to pick the car back up unfixed, and am terrified to drive it on the freeway for fear of being killed when it loses power at 65mph and causes an accident.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Sep 082013

While driving my mothers 2010 Ford Escape, it suddenly lost all power and came to almost a complete stop. The vehicle was only able to creep along, barely allowing me to pull off the side of the road. Thankfully, no one was behind me, otherwise there would have been a serious accident because as I said, it came out of nowhere and brought the vehicle from 35mph down to 2 mph in a matter of seconds. The wrench light came on the dash, indicating a "throttle control/powertrain" issue. I shut the car off, restarted it and it ran fine, however, the check engine light came on. I called my mother and it turns out that this has happened to her on 3 previous occasions, only the check engine light never came on. I had the codes checked, and that indicated "throttle actuator control (tac) system - actuator stuck open". I did a little research and it turns out that this is a very common problem and the only way to resolve it is to replace the throttle body. I found recalls from Ford for throttle issues, but not this specific issue, apparently they don't consider it a safety issue. Well let me tell you, it absolutely is a safety issue. If I had been out on the main road doing 55 and this happened with someone behind me, they would have slammed right into me because there is no warning. I'm replacing the throttle body to resolve the issue but Ford really needs to issue a recall, it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt, it's not just coincidence that this has happened to so many people, there is obviously a defective part.

- Kerhonkson, NY, USA

Sep 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving about 30mph and car suddenly stops accelerating and won't go, doesn't die but the"throttle control/powertrain" symbol comes on. I shut car off and restart and proceed to drive again and it happens a 2nd time. I have learned that this is happening in these models and I think something should be done about it!

- Wichita, KS, USA

Sep 022012

Escape 6-cyl

The incident first happened on Sep. 2 2013, when I was accelerating on highway ramp. The car suddenly lost pushing power and the wrench light was on while engine was still running. I pulled over and turned off the engine then restarted it and everything back to normal. The same issue happened again when I was on my way to work on Sep 6, while I was on the left lane of highway 401 and accelerating to about 60 miles. I called the dealership and booked appointment. Today (Sep 9) it was almost accident on my way to the dealership. I was making a left turn in an local intersection, the vehicle lost the power during accelerating. Thank god I I was able to finish the left turn with inertia. After investigation the dealer told me I have to pay from my pocket to replace the throttle body. I also compliant to Ford Canada. I think Ford should recall this issue for safety reason.

- Toronto, NY, USA

Aug 152013

I was driving at approximately 60 mph when my gas pedal suddenly would not work. When I pulled over to a complete stop my steering was vibrating pretty bad. The wrench showing that something was wrong with my powertrain was lit up. I turned off the ignition and restarted my car and was able to drive it home. About a week later it happened again. My vehicle is now sitting at the dealership where it has been waiting for over 2 weeks for the throttle body to be replaced and I am told the part is on back order.

- Mayodan, NC, USA