2010 Ford Escape electrical problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Oct 292014

Escape

The first time this happened I was coming to a stop during rush hour traffic in Feb 2014. I was slowing down to stop when I noticed the red battery & wrench light come on. When I tried to accelerate the vehicle wouldn't move & the engine was off. I attempted to restart the vehicle several times with no luck. The dash lights & radio would work but it wouldn't start. I had to be pushed out of traffic. While waiting for the tow truck I tried again & it started (approximately after 15 min). I immediately took it to the Ford dealer. They "supposedly" fixed it under a recall. It just happened again (Oct 2014) to me while coming to a stop during rush hour. Again the lights turned red and the engine died. I attempted to restart several times without any luck. The dash lights & radio worked but it wouldn't start. Finally after several attempts it started again. I'm waiting for my appointment with the Ford dealer. This issue needs to be reviewed before someone gets seriously hurt given that the engine dies without notice. Plus the "repair" didn't work!

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 252014

Escape

I was driving along and my car stopped receiving input from the gas pedal at 50 mph entering the highway. This happened a month ago. This has happened twice as well as my car taking off when I accelerate from stopped position. Today 7/31/14 the gas pedal failed to work again when in a turn thank god nobody was behind me. You guys know there is a throttle body issue with all these Ford Escapes but yet you let them get away with this. Does someone have to die from a rear end collision because the throttle stays closed on the highway? people's lives are at stake here. My wife and kid are in this car what happens I go to pull out and it decides to just stay stuck halfway into the lane bam I get T boned then have to sue everyone that knew about this issue.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Jul 302014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle had exited from freeway and was stopped on an exit ramp stop light. When gas was pushed to move vehicle from stopped position, the engine accelerated but the vehicle would not move forward. Initially, the wrench light appeared on dash and then later, this disappeared and the check engine light came on. Vehicle was taken to a nearby auto parts facility where a computer code evaluation was completed- this yielded the same code appearing 3 times: A problem involving the throttle actuator control system sensor. The technician stated that when the same problem code appears 3 times during the check, this accurately pin-points the problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 232014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at 55mph on road. I lost all power to gas pedal the car was hard to steer to the side of the road. Put car in park shut car off.waited a few minutes an started car up. It ran this happens 2 or 3 times on the same day then it might not happen again for a week or two this a ongoing problem that Ford should place a safety recall not on soft customer satisfaction program#13no3 this is a serious safety issue.

- Frankfort, NY, USA

Jul 022014

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling on I495 at a steady highway speed of 68mph the car without warning dropped to idle speed with rapid deceleration. The engine did not shut down but ran approx. 800-900rpm. We pulled to the side of the to avoid being hit from behind. I had to shut the car off and restart to get any throttle response. I traveled off the interstate on slower roads to get home for fear of this happening at high speed again. It has happened three more time both at high speed and acceleration from a stop. It was back to the Ford dealer for the recall 13B17 on 7/7/14. There have been two more events of no power from stop and low power at highway speed since the tsb was performed. No parts have been replaced, no codes set.

- Salisbury, MA, USA

Jan 262011

Escape 6-cyl

I had just turned left under an underpas and was in the middle lane under an overpass I remember thinking "wow. This is apowerful engine." A car was coming in front of me and when I brake it did not slow down and I hit the car and that's all I remember when I came too the horn was blowing and two people were pounding on my windows and my emergency bag had deployed, I was released. They gave me first aid until the ambulance came, treated me and took me to the emergency room. The other driver was not injured. They kept me overnight. I believe because I had a concussion. I was very confused. They kept me overnight and went home the next day. The damage to my vehicle was in access of $16,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 132014

Escape

While traveling 60 mph on I-45 South of houston, tx. My 2010 Ford Escape lost power. I immediately had to maneuver across 3 lanes of traffic while coasting to a stop. Luckily I was not hit!!! I turned the vehicle off and allowed it to sit for a few minutes. I restarted it and the orange wrench symbol appeared on the dash. I turned it off and restarted it again. This time the malfunction indicator lamp came on. I drove the vehicle home with limited operation, decreased engine power and vehicle speed. I experienced failure one more time during this trip. When I had the diagnostic trouble codes (dtc) pulled it was P2111, "throttle body stuck open." Researching it on the internet revealed NHTSA action number PE13003.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Escape 4-cyl

The back hatch will not open. There's no clicking sound when locking or unlocking. The window does open and close.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jun 072014

Escape 4-cyl

The first incident occurred approximately 2months ago (April 2014) as I was driving on a state road (new circle rd in lexington ky)at around 60mph during my morning commute around 8am. The vehicle seemingly stalled but all the systems were fine (still had power steering, lights, radio, braking system etc) with the exception of the accelerator which didn't do anything when I put my foot on the gas. I was able to coast over to the side of the road turned the engine off, sat for about 5 mins & was able to continue on the road without further issue (the check engine light didn't even come back on). The most recent date was 06/07/14 with my family in the car as passengers. I was at a stoplight turning left when, as previously, the engine stalled as I was turning. Again, all systems registered and were working but when I put my foot on the gas nothing happened. Again I was luckily able to coast to the side of the road and turn off the engine. This time after waiting roughly 5 mins and turning the engine back on, nothing happened after I hit the accelerator. I turned the engine back off and waited an additional 5 mins. This time I was able to give the car gas and as my home was nearby was thankfully able to make it to my house. The check engine light however did not go off as it had previously. I took the car to my dealership on 06/09/14 and they confirmed that it was the throttle body.

- Lexington , KY, USA

Apr 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the air conditioner function failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the desiccant filter fractured as a result, the air conditioner unit needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 32,500. Drrk

- Teaneck , NJ, USA

Dec 102013

Escape

Since December, I have had several warning lights appear on my dash. It started with a low tire light. I visually checked the tires and saw nothing wrong with them so I kept an eye on them. After about a week, the light went off. No reason. It has happened three other times since then. Next came the fuel fill indicator light while on a trip over 300 miles from home. After a few days it went off. Came on one other time since then. Next was the check engine light. It came on when on another trip over 300 miles from home. Still on a few days later so I went to auto zone for the free test. They told me it could be either the gas cap, which it doesn't come with, or a leak. Vak leak system. P1111 seems by discussion boards that this is happening to a lot of people! www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T35733_ds539369.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 032014

Escape

When traveling at approx 50 mph, the engine made an automatic de acceleration, with the rpms going to 1000. Even when stepping on the gas pedal, the rpms did not change and the car came to a very slow speed just over idle speed. A wrench symbol appeared in the indicator lights. I placed in park and turned off the car. When restarting, the wrench symbol went away and the car drove normal for about 20 miles until the same thing happened. It appears that something in the computer brains is telling the engine to shut down. This happened a few more times over weekend and thankfully I was not in heavy traffic and was able to pull off to the shoulder. Today is May 4, 2014 and tomorrow I plan to take the car into Ford dealership on sterling Virginia. I have read recent complaints from Ford Escape owners that match exactly my problem. This is obviously unsafe and should be reported as a re call.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Mar 312014

Escape 6-cyl

On Dec.31 at approximately 2 P.M. I was driving South on citrus ave. I was going 55 mph and my vehicle started losing speed. I moved to the side of the road. I turned off the ignition and when I restarted the car it ran as normal. Prior to that, on several occasions upon starting from a stop I had noticed faster acceleration than the amount of pressure I was applying to the gas pedal.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

For the past 8 months my Escape has been stalling while I am driving or at a stop light, and when I am at a complete stop the car moves forward without stepping on the gas pedal!!!

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Nov 072012

Escape 4-cyl

Right after the warranty went out the vehicle starting slamming from 1st into 2nd upon acceleration. The idle is very rough and quite loud, the engine makes a funny noise and I take extremely good care of my vehicle, getting all of the scheduled oil changes on time, replacing the air filter, etc. I also explained to them that the vehicle wasn't idling properly and that the engine used to be quiet. The windshield is extremely thin as well, a small pebble hit my windshield causing a 8 inch crack in a matter of minutes to where it was beyond getting it fixed. Then liftgate started giving me problems. When you press the button, it would make the sound, but sometimes open, then on May 17, 2013 it just quit working all together. On May 18, 2013, I took it to reynolds Ford for a scheduled oil change right before a trip to Mexico and upon telling them about it, they wanted $250 just to look at it before parts and labor. Now, the rear blinker doesn't work and you can't replace it due to the fact that you can't get the liftgate to open in order to remove the rear taillight assembly. So, when you are trying to make a left turn, vehicles behind you don't know you are turning and almost hit you (safety hazard). You also can't change a flat tire since you can get to the jack, which is in the rear compartment accessed through the liftgate. This is a serious problem as there is no manual release for the hatch to get it open period, once the latch doesn't work, it just doesn't work.

- Norman, OK, USA

Nov 062013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape XLT. The contact stated that the fuel light illuminated followed by the check engine warning light illuminating. Several days later, the vehicle failed to start. The dealer was notified and stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000. The vehicle was not repaired.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 142013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving, the vehicle will stall, or drop to about 800-900 RPM with no response from the accelerator. The "wrench" will come on the instrument panel, and the vehicle will sometimes stall/kill altogether. We have had the codes pulled by a technician, and they say that the "throttle body is stuck open", "the throttle body is stuck closed", and there is one more but I cannot recall it off the top of my head. I have called Ford and they have said that they do not have a known issue, nor is this a familiar problem per the symptoms. I have likewise done an internet search and found several complaints, and an NHTSA investigation launched. Please advise that this is a major security concern for me - yesterday I was traveling in the left lane of a major freeway, at freeway speeds, when my vehicle seemingly stalled, dropped to 800 rpms, and I had to cross 3 lanes of rush hour traffic to pull over to the shoulder to shut my car off, put it in park, then start it back up and merge back into traffic, then have it repeat the problem less than a mile later. This is a huge problem, and if not fully addressed by Ford, my fear is it is going to cause accidents if it hasn't already. Thank you in advance for your follow-up and support.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 032013

Escape

Was driving the vehicle on the interstate at about 60 mph and exited safely. Went through typical stop-and-go rush hour traffic for about 2 minutes until reaching work, in which the campus' speed is set to 25 mph throughout. Vehicle was traveling on work campus a little under 30 mph. Suddenly, the car stalled and the battery and oil warning lights had come on. Steering the vehicle to a safe parking place was difficult as the steering wheel had become tight. Once safely parked, the vehicle was turned off and after 5 seconds turned back on. The engine started up normally. Started driving the vehicle closer to where it was needed to be parked and the engine stalled again after 1000 feet and the steering went tight again. Turned off the vehicle again and after 5 seconds attempted to turn it back on. The engine had trouble starting but after an abnormal amount of time trying to turn over, the engine did. Was able to get the vehicle in the appropriate parking area. Vehicle has full tank of gasoline, 2000 miles over oil change recommendation by dealer, and factory battery. Vehicle has never been off-road but has been subject to easy snow accumulations since purchased from dealership.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 022013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving vehicle it will rev high and then stall while in traffic. Starts back up fine and then immediately stalls out again. This has happened three different times in the past 3 weeks.

- Winder, GA, USA

Nov 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling at a relatively low traveling speed the vehicle seems to lose power and I can no longer accelerate. The tool light/check engine light will come on and I can coast to a stop. Once I stop the vehicle I turn it off. When I restart the vehicle it hesitates for approx 6 seconds and then turns over/restarts with no further problems. This has occurred four times since 11/6/13.

- Bayside, NY, USA