1. replacement of window (17 reports)
  3. ford should repair (2 reports)
  4. ford just issued a tsb (1 reports)
2010 Ford Escape windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 192015

Escape Limited V6

We were going to a family holiday supper. I had loaded the last of the stuff in the back of the SUV and proceeded to close my back door. As the door closed the window exploded. Luckily I had my head down so I did not get any glass in my face. There was glass everywhere. It was in all the bags.

I took it to Ford on the Monday. They fixed the glass through MPI and also had to replace the wiper motor which had been damaged in the explosion. I had to make a claim with MPI. WHY??? I did nothing wrong. FORD should stand behind their product. I am not the first this has happened to.

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Dec 202015

Escape XLT 2.5L I4

Just went to close the back hatch of my 2010 Escape and the glass exploded. Looks like a common problem. Haven't checked with Ford yet to see if it is covered.

- , Herndon, VA, USA

Dec 032015

I had just finished unloading groceries from my 2010 Ford Escape, closed the lift gate and the rear window exploded all over me. The shards of glass hit my face and were everywhere! Ford needs to acknowledge there is a problem with these vehicles! I can only thank god I wasn,t holding my 11 month old grand son at the time.

- , Howell, MI, USA

Jan 052014

I just dropped my daughter off at college. It was winter, 20 degrees outside. I shut the back hatch and the glass literally exploded all over!! Lets just was a really nice hour and a half ride home on interstate 80! Insurance covered the cost and Ford didn't seem bothered by the fact that their window exploded.

Apr 252015

Escape XLS

I was loading up the car after a long day of baseball, family, and fun. It was 11:30 at night and the kids were ready to sleep. After loading up, I shut the back door and the glass shattered. The kids were scared and crying and we had to figure out a way to secure the hole in the car just so we could get home and get to bed. It is infuriating to find out this has been an issue and Ford still has yet to do anything about it. I feel let down and will not buy Ford after the problems I have had with this vehicle.

- , Shorewood, IL, USA

Feb 202015

Escape Limited 2.5L V4

rear window exploded

This happened in the parking lot of the Winter Park, CO ski resort around noon as I was closing the rear lift gate. We drove off the mountain and dropped the car off at Lakewood Fordland to have the window repaired. I told the service rep that on the drive back we had plenty of time to do online research and discovered that this was a known problem. The service rep demonstrated no curiosity or bewilderment about the occurrence and reacted to my complaint as if there was no such thing as the Internet or the ability to research such matters online. FMC provided no relief for the repair.

- , Lakewood, CO, USA

Feb 082015

Escape XLT 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

rear window exploded rear window exploded rear window exploded rear window exploded

Yup, it happened to me three days ago. I shut the tailgate, and a moment later the rear window exploded without any reason. I didn't get injured, fortunately, just surprised. I think more of it went into my car than onto the ground. I was glad that I had three witnesses see how crazy it was, because it just completely exploded without any provocation whatsoever. The temperature was in the 40's, and there was no stress of any kind on the window at the moment.

I noticed that others have reported an intermittent leak in the rear window beforehand; I experienced this as well. I never could find where it was coming from; the seal around the window was always dry whenever I'd find the back carpet wet.

I've been quoted a $500 repair bill. At this point, Ford does not have a recall. But I did call Ford Customer Service at (800) 392-3673 to (calmly) lodge my complaint. Hopefully if enough people do this, they will realize that there is a systematic problem and will issue a recall. I really love my Escape in all other ways; it looks like this one issue, though, is pretty severe and potentially dangerous.

- , Lebanon, CT, USA

Feb 152015

Escape ES 3.2L

Surprised to find several complaints about this issue and no resolution. Glass flew everywhere, luckily myself and my son were not hurt physically, but the pain we felt is financial as I forked over $380 to fix the window, in the winter..

- , Dearborn, MI, USA

Dec 272014

Escape 3.2L V6

rear window exploded

I was getting belongings out of the back of my Ford Escape and a friend shut the car door normally when out of nowhere the entire back window EXPLODED. There was absolutely no reason this should have happened. The car door was closed in a normal fashion (and even if it was slammed shut that should not occur). The entire back window exploded and shot glass all over the ground, the people surrounding my car, and the inside of the vehicle. It was shocking and it is very inconvenient to have to have the entire back windshield replaced (windshield wiper and all) because of a manufacturer error. The most frustrating part of the whole ordeal is that Ford claims no responsibility in all of this and it is up to me to replace the window.

- , Centennial, CO, USA

Dec 142014

This is a problem that many people are having. Ford better take responsibility. exploding windows is dangerous!!!

- , Hamilton, Ontario, canada

Nov 212014

Escape XLS 2.5L 4 cyl

This just happened within the past hour. It's about 20 degrees outside.

Will try to plead my case tomorrow with the dealer armed with info gleaned from the web searches.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 192014

Escape Chrome I4

The car is less than 4 years old and it exploded for no reason. Partly sunny, low 80's temperature.

- , Elmwood Park, NJ, USA

Mar 212014

Escape XLT 2.5L I4

The weather has not been cold or hot for that matter. All we did was shut the tailgate and the glass shattered. At the airport no less. Nothing hit it, just hundreds of little pieces of glass everywhere!

- , Lacey, WA, USA

Mar 012014

Escape XLT 2.5L

- , Fpo, AE, USA

Jan 152014

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

Opened and shut the rear gate on my 2010 Ford Escape this evening after work and the rear gate glass shattered. Glass everywhere inside and outside the car. Temp was 14 degrees F. I see there was an investigation into this issue over a year ago but no recall was issued. Looks like I was one of the lucky few to get a weak rear window. Joy.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 282013

Escape Linited V6

Sunday, April 28, 2013, I just loaded shopping bins in the back and closed the door when a minute later the rear window exploded sending glass flying everywhere. Good thing I was on the side going towards the drivers door. The glass was everywhere. The explosion threw the glass about 6 feet in some places. I was shocked. Will be contacting my dealer tomorrow and hope to contact Ford to lay a formal compliant.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, canada

Dec 062012

Escape 4.0L

click to see larger images

rear window exploded rear window exploded rear window exploded

was having birthday supper for husband and neighbor knocked on the door and said we better go look at our truck. She was outside when this happened and said it just exploded. We went to view our vehicle and the back liftgate window was all over the ground in pieces. There was nobody around, it just exploded. It was not even that cold outside. For Canadian complaints please look up a vin decoder and find out where your vehicle was made. I bought mine in Ontario Canada however my truck was made in the missouri plant.

Have not had window fixed yet, as I do believe this should be fords responsibility not ours. I do not feel it matters whether it is warranty or not it is obviously a defect of some ford dealership had actually heard of this happening, and had one repaired as little as two weeks ago, and he said it was a interior cabin pressure issue. Again this would be a flaw in the design and a ford problem not a customer problem.

Still waiting but it is looking like I may have to go to a lawyer! :(

Update from Feb 7, 2013: so just to update my situation.....from Dec 6,2012 to date Feb.8,2013 my back window is still in plastic, and ford telling me not their problem so it looks like a lawsuit to me as this is not somthing that I feel should be a customer issue. Will keep you updated as it changes

Update from Feb 8, 2013: now I am just done with Ford. This was my first Ford and I really loved my Escape, now I just want to take it back to the dealership and blow it up. I would not of course do this, but am so frustrated. So 2 months after window exploding, still not fixed, Ford I believe stalled til I was out of warrenty as I was close when this happened, and now having electrical issues with truck not holding a charge. Have had to be boosted 3 times now this week with new battery, and twice last week. What the hell is ford doing? I have looked back and these have been ongoing issues....this law suit just keeps getting bigger by the day....this is BS....I am done....I will NEVER buy another Ford again....not even if they give it to me would I take one again. I went with a Ford in 2010 as I needed a new vehicle, and toyota had so many recalls and the recession had hit others soooo bad I thought well Ford has stood true through it wonder if they were sacrificing on bad parts to stay on top....hate to think that but what the hell are they doing, really....I have had 15 year old vehicles that I have never had to replace a starter or alternator much less have the window blow out on me and I drive for a living....REALLY FORD? And you tell customers out of warrenty that it is their problem....bad on you ford....gonna loose a lot of customers.....I personally am going to papers with this as well as law suit....someone needs to teach them they cannot push around customers just because they are the Big guys! BAD BAD BAD FOR BUSINESS FORD!!!!!!!

- , Ottawa, Ontario, canada

Apr 132012

rear window exploded rear window exploded

Pulled the truck into the garage for the night and opened the back door hatch to remove our purchases. When I shut the back door hatch there was an explosion and glass all over the garage. The hydraulic window arms are now sticking out where the window used to be; it was like they did not slide up and literally shattered the window when I tried to close the hatch, which is weird, because I never use that window.

Sure glad my dogs weren't in the car when the glass went -- would have scared them half to death.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Feb 172012

Escape XLT

My son had opened the tailgate (not window) to place his hockey bag in. Just after closign the tailgate, the window literally exploded! Was told this wasn't a warranty and gave me a quote of $500 to fix. This will have to be an insurance job. As a side note, I had taken the Escape into the Ford dealer several times for problems with the back window leaking.

- , Hampton, New Brunswick, canada

Jan 022012

Escape 3.2L V6

rear window exploded rear window exploded

Was about - 5C out. Car had been running for about 10 minutes to warm up. Heater was on and so was front defroster. Car was blowing warm air from heater. I put the window and rear defroster on, as well as my seat warmer as I sat in the car waiting for my husband. I was sitting in the car for at least 5 minutes minding my own business, when suddenly the back window EXPLODED for no reason. It wasn't like it just shattered, it exploded, mostly outward with pieces reaching at least 3 feet. It was hard to see them all in the dark and the snow. Will try to get them all gathered up today because my horses walk this path and the last thing I need is glass in a hoof. Ford is closed today for New Years holiday, but thanks to this website, and all the complaints I've printed off, I plan on NOT PAYING for this repair. I'll update it when it's fixed.

- , Elora, ON, canada