2010 Ford Escape windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 022015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that when the liftgate door was closed, the rear window suddenly shattered. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 58,500.

- Vancover, WA, USA

Apr 252015

Escape 4-cyl

After loading the vehicle, I shut the rear gate. The rear window exploded upon impact and shards of glass flew all over the street and the back of the vehicle scaring the kids.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Feb 202015

Escape 4-cyl

The rear lift gate window glass exploded as I was closing the lift gate. According to your website, this defect has already been investigated and closed: Date investigation opened: Apr 27, 2011; date investigation closed: Aug 18, 2011; NHTSA action number: PE11016; component(s): Structure, visibility.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Feb 152015

Escape 4-cyl

Rear glass exploded for no reason.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Feb 082015

The rear window of the car suddenly exploded. I closed the tailgate, and a moment later, the rear window exploded without provocation. More of the shattered glass went into the car than went outside it. It did not injure me, fortunately, but hundreds of shards of glass went everywhere. The most ridiculous thing was that there was no seeming cause. Nothing was touching the window. The temperature was chilly but moderate (40's). There was no indication that anything was amiss; the window just exploded. Looking online, it seems that this problem has been reported in 2010 and some 2011 Ford Escapes, and there was even an inconclusive investigation in 2011 by the ntsb. But at this point, there is no recall on the window.

- Lebanon, CT, USA

Nov 082014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, she heard a loud abnormal noise and discovered that the window had shattered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Oct 022014

My car was parked at my mothers in front of her garage. I was inside the barn with her and we heard this noise. I looked outside and my rear window on the hatch had exploded. It was only about 70 degrees and cloudy outside, the vents were open and the drivers side window was part way down for air. No one was near the car when it happened. It just exploded for no known reason. Nothing left to it.

- Trevorton, PA, USA

Sep 022013

I was cruising at a low speed on a warm day when I heard a loud explosion, the left rear window exploded.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

Aug 192014

Escape 4-cyl

During a partly sunny, lows 80's degree day my back window exploded while no one was touching it. The glass was everywhere throughout my car and I cut several cuts while cleaning it up.

- Elmwood Park, NJ, USA

May 012014

Escape 4-cyl

The rear window has two clamps that attach to the vehicle. The clamps are deteriorating and crumbling to pieces. I have also seen this on other Ford Escapes. With the clamps falling apart it will only be a matter of time until the rear window will shift or fall off. This same vehicle is rusting also. The rear hatchback is rusting out and other components. Ford Motor Company refuses to take care of the problem.

- Hartland, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Escape 6-cyl

When I closed my hatchback the rear window shattered and glass flew everywhere. I had a couple cuts on my hands from the glass falling.

- Mt.Morris, MI, USA

Feb 172014

My 2010 Ford Escape was parked. I open hatch, closed it and the entire rear window shattered and fell out!

- Danville, PA, USA

Jan 112014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle was parked in my driveway. This happened at about 10:30 a.M. I had removed some items in the rear of the vehicle and then shut the rear tailgate. The rear tailgate glass had not be opened and was closed as usual on the liftgate. The liftgate was closed in the normal fashion. I was in the process of walking away from the car after closing the tailgate when the rear tailgate glass exploded. Nothing had struck the glass from either the inside or outside to cause this to happen. I received some minor scratches on my hand. The glass exploded as far as 6-8' behind and to the sides of the vehicle as well as all over the interior of the vehicle.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Oct 022013

This is now the third issue with my 2010 Ford Escape where the rear window shatters while closing the gate. This is a known issue with Ford and they will not fix. Glass shatters into thousands of pieces and projects 10-15 feet in any given direction. Yet, Ford will do nothing to fix. This is very unsafe where I have had glass shot at my face and I also have a dog that is often put in the back of the vehicle. The only way Ford will do something is if I pay. I also wonder how many people have not filed complaints thinking this is a fluke accident and may have gone through insurance. I know it is no fluke since this is the third time this has happened and talking with Ford they acknowledge the issue. There should be a recall on this vehicle. I have filed two other complaints with the NHTSA.

- Holbrook, MA, USA

Apr 242013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear window shattered as the contact closed the hatchback without excessive force. The failure recurred on two separate occasions. The contact took the vehicle to an authorized dealer both times and the dealer informed the contact that they did not provide assistance for window repairs. Vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic both times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000....updated 08/22/13

- Oregon, IL, USA

Feb 222013

On Feb 22, 2013 I experienced a problem with my 2010 Ford Escape, while closing the rear liftgate my back window completely shattered - resulting in my having to replace the window which cost me $466.83. After some research on the internet, I found the Ford knows of this problem and it has happened on other vehicles - my problem occurred while the vehicle was stationary and also in the early morning hours. I also incurred minor cuts and lacerations due to cleaning up the broken glass. I believe since Ford Motor Co. Knew of this problem and failed to notify owners of this, I should be entitled for reimbursement of the cost for repairing the window, since it was a defected product.

- Willow Springs, IL, USA

Dec 222012

My rear hatch window just exploded. I pulled into the car port at the airport for our christmas flight home, took luggage out the back and closed the hatch and boom glass everywhere. Luckily no one was hurt but what was I supposed to do? miss our flight home for christmas or call a neighbor at 8 am to come swap out vehicles so it wouldn't be vandalized while I was gone. It was in the upper 30S when this happened, however my vehicle stays parked outside so it warmed up gradually like it always does. We I got to my destination I called my Ford dealer since I bought the extended warranty and they told me it was not covered under warranty even though I stated the numerous articles that I have read about this issue.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Dec 112012

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated upon closing the rear lift gate, the glass shattered outwardly. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and did not offer any assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 17,936...updated 01/30/13 updated 2/5/2013

- West Carrollton, OH, USA

Sep 292012

Escape 6-cyl

I shut my tailgate and the rear window shattered on my 2010 Ford Escape. No one was injured, but it definitely made a huge mess and it was a shock to have this happen. This is the second issue my vehicle has had this year. A few months ago the throttle control went on the vehicle. Both not covered by Ford, due to the warranty over. I have many concerns that a two year old vehicle could have these type of things going wrong with it. My other concern is Ford won't acknowledge these issues with recalls and many of my fellow Ford owners are having the same issues. Please check into this for us. Can say I definitely won't be buying Ford again after this.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Dec 162011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Moved some items from rear of vehicle to back seat area. Closed liftgate, then closed rear passenger door. Rear liftgate glass shattered a few seconds later. Both window shocks shot outward. Glass landed both inside and outside of vehicle. I took photos with my cell phone.

- Wixom, MI, USA