2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Oct 292014

Escape

I was crossing a highway and when I stepped on the gas I had no power! just a few weeks before it was at Ford for a torque and steering recall. When I called Ford to inform them what happened they said I will have to pay $130 for them to diagnose it! I'm not happy with Ford response. This is a real danger and they need to take it serious!

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Oct 292014

Escape

While driving along my Ford Escape suddenly refused to accelerate, I was holding the gas to the floor and it wouldn't budge. It was idling strangely and surging. A wrench symbol appeared in the screen on the dash. I was on a hill and was unable to pull of the road. Luckily, no one was behind me. I waited a few moments and restarted the Escape, it went and then continued to decelerate once again. I will be taking this back to the dealership to be fixed. But I am very concerned, upon researching the issue I found many more complaints online. Why hasn't this issue been recalled? it is highly dangerous and it is only a matter of time before the Escape cuts off at the wrong time and gets someone killed. This needs to be addressed before it become an epidemic like the Chevy cobalt.

- Luray, VA, USA

Oct 102013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission slips after cold start.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Oct 252014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, I heard a sound similar to the car's automatic transmission downshifting. I looked down and saw that I had no acceleration as I pushed on the gas pedal. I stopped at a safe location and sat with the car idling for about a minute. During this time I noticed the rpms hunting at idle speed. I turned the car off. I restarted the car and the engine turned over a few more times than usual before it finally caught. After that, I had no other problems for the two more hours I drove it. This problem appears to be with the electronic throttle body giving either a false signal or temporarily losing signal.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 082014

Escape

As I was driving my car lost it throttle. The engine continued to run but I had no ability to accelerate. I pulled the car over. Turned it off, then back on and the car appeared to show no issues. About two weeks later the issue appeared again. Same solution. From my research this appears to be a common issue and could very much endanger anyone in the vehicle.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 262014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Entered left turn lane to approach off ramp, truck stalled. Appx 40mph. Turned off and restarted, drove home. Had noticed jumping response from idle to reverse to drive, particularly upon first ignition of day, for about a week. Have contacted dealership for repair of noted throttle body issue, which is scheduled for 1 week from today.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Sep 222014

Escape

While driving at 71 mph with the cruise control on, I noticed a slowing down feeling, the cruise control light went off, the wrench light illuminated. I pulled to the berm. I turned off the engine. According to the manual it was the throttle. It took 2 tries to restart car, the wrench light went off. A Ford dealership was 5 min. From incident. According to invoice, they performed throttle body update. I was told if the light came on again, it might need a throttle body. I asked if they could perform the work, they stated without the light being on, they couldn't do the work under the warranty. Meanwhile I was over 200 miles from home, and needed to get home. It felt so unsafe for 5hours of driving. The car has surges of power, downshifts with jolts, and clunking sounds when it does shift. This is how it drove from the beginning, I began to think it was normal so never reported it. Also, since the work was done I noticed the rpms at idling are high, I can pull into the garage without putting my foot on the gas the rpms are at 2 at 30 miles an hour, same as at 70 miles an hour. I'm contacting Ford about the rules of the warranty and how unsafe it feels to drive the vehicle. How many accidents, deaths will it take to get the real work done, not a patch up job.

- Wellsboro, PA, USA

Sep 202014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along the highway at 70 mph, when I felt a 'clunk'. the engine lost power and the 'wrench' light lit up. I was able to get the car to the shoulder of the road. I then turned the engine off, waited a couple minutes and then re-started the engine. The 'wrench' light did not return. I do not feel it is safe to drive until this issues is resolved.

- Tecumse, MI, USA

Jun 152011

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 15 mph and attempting to shift gears, the vehicle jerked without warning. The failure occurred ten times. The dealer stated that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Fairview, PA, USA

Oct 022012

Escape

While driving we were alerted to a problem by a passing car. After stopping the motorhome I walked back to the Escape and saw smoke coming from under the car. After allowing the car to cool we proceeded on to our destination and contacted the local Ford dealer. We were provided with an appointment for the next morning. At that appointment we were told that the transmission was totally destroyed. While no fire was present the potential for a catastrophic fire involving both the car and the motorhome along side a busy freeway was a possibility.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Aug 302014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

At 11 pm I was driving down the road at 55 mph and I thought my car had shut off because I noticed I didn't have any power. I turned down the radio to hear for the engine but heard nothing. I had enough speed to coast to a safe lighted area to investigate what was happening, come to find out that my car was running but no throttle to make it move. A warning symbol showed up and it was a lighted wrench but I had no idea what that was until I dug out my owners manual the next day. I turned the key off, restarted the Escape and moved on my way. I traveled approx. 2 more miles at a slower speed and I lost speed with the wrench light appearing as well as the service engine soon light turning on. I was approaching a stop sign when this occurred. I turned the car off and back on again and was able to make it the additional 1/2 miles to my home. Doing research I see that I am not the only person that is having this same issue. I bought this vehicle used in June with 32,365 miles, this is the last thing I expected to happen with a newer vehicle. Please advise if this is considered a recall. Thank you!

- Edinboro, PA, USA

Aug 272014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Had no problems until now! parked car at my office and 2 hours later wanting to leave and did not make it out of the parking lot. The gas pedal would not get power; but all other components appeared working fine. Turned the car off and re-started; within seconds same thing happen. I was ready to go on a 3 hour trip in morning on a busy interstate and now I am afraid to go since I do not want to get run over (have to go through much interstate construction. This powertrain failure is not safe and creates hazardous conditions on the road for everyone. Even with 50 miles per hour in a construction zone; it is very dangerous loosing the powertrain in a one land-bumper to bumper traffic with heavy trucks behind you. Picture yourself in this situation. I am certainly afraid to go on my business trip in the morning. Like guess people have to die first before Ford is taking some recall action! my car is regular maintained; this was not expected at all! I will not buy a Ford again!

- Krebs, OK, USA

Aug 172014

Escape 4-cyl

The transmission locked up in the center lane of hwy 50 leading into sacramento ca. The Ford came to a stop in high speed traffic and we were nearly hit from behind. We were stranded there for about a half an hour waiting for a tow truck to arrive. The Ford had to be dragged up onto the car hauler. The wheels would not roll.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Aug 042014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway going approx. 70 mph and without warning lost all acceleration. I had to maneuver across 4 lanes of traffic to get on the shoulder. I turned the car off and was preparing to call a tow truck when I started the car again and had limited acceleration. I was able to "limp" the car home and to a repair shop. The repair shop said the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 192014

Escape

Signs of issue during the occurrence: -car stop running -throttle alarm showed up -transmission alarm showed up -the issue happens approx. 3 to 4 times a month you will need to stop and turn off your engine for a while before you can start driving the car again, the throttle alarm will go away but the transmission stays sometime approximately after 12 hours.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down road and just quit running.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jul 252014

Escape 6-cyl

This problem happened two times within about 30 minutes time, so I drove immediately home, parked the car, and called my dealer, who speculated that the trouble was due to the "throttle body." The first time, I was idling at a red light and when the light changed to green and I tried to accelerate, I had no acceleration. The vehicle just sat there, with no indication of any power to be had to the throttle. I turned on my emergency flashers, put the car in "park, " turned off the ignition, turned it back on, put the car in "drive, " and the car began to drive normally. Several minutes later, after parking the car, conducting an errand, and then re-starting the car and backing out of a driveway, the throttle did the same thing in the middle of a street: Tried to accelerate in "drive" and got nothing until shutting off the ignition and re-starting. Previously, over the course of the past six months, I experienced what seems to be a similar, though opposite, problem with the throttle. Occasionally while driving, I would hear and feel what seemed to me to be a small surge of power while accelerating on surface roads. I assumed at that time that it was a transmission problem and mentioned it to the dealer when I took the car in for an oil change and normal servicing. The service department checked the transmission and found no problem with it. I believe now, after reading about the throttle problems with this model on ncconsumer.org, that those incidents were likely due to the throttle body malfunctioning as well. I experienced approximately 10-12 of these power surge incidents.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Jul 252014

Escape

I was driving on the interstate with my 3 year old son in the back seat. As I was in traffic all of a sudden I felt a loss of power and the wrench light went on. I was almost hit multiple times, but luckily was able to force it to the side of the road. I sat there for a couple minutes and then started the car normally and drove home. It was a scary experience and one that I hope Ford takes care of.

- Bennington, NE, USA

Jun 282014

Escape

The Ford Escape has been randomly stalling at times while driving. I am forced to either pull off to the side of the road or quickly turn off my car and turn it back on again in the middle of the road.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Jul 022014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving 50 miles per hour, when a wrench lit up on dash and instantaneously the vehicle lost power to the throttle. Pulled over quickly, turned off vehicle, then restarted and went on about my way. Very scary and so scared it could happen in a busy traffic situation.

- Skandia, MI, USA