2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Nov 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Last night while driving at approx. 55 mph my 2011 Ford Escape without any warning or sounds slowed immediately to less than 5 mph. I managed to let the car creep into a local car transmission repair shop. The vehicle would not engage in forward or reverse. This morning I called my Ford dealer who asked that I leave the keys with the vehicle and arrange to have it towed to the dealership. Upon arriving to the transmission shop a serviceman suggested I try engaging drive and reverse, I did so and the vehicle did engage. I reported this to the Ford dealer prior to calling roadside towing and stated that I would not feel comfortable driving the vehicle until it is fixed. The dealer said he would advise me as soon as they investigate the problem.

- Griffith, IN, USA

Nov 262013

I was traveling down the road at 55 mph, when the car lost power and began to slow. I notice that the wrench icon was lit on the display. The car was still running, but only at about 1000rpm and still slowing down. Increasing the gas pedal had no affect on the car. I was able to get off the road on to a side street. The car was able to pull itself along, but only at a snails pace. I stopped the car and shut engine off for a minute or 2, retried starting it and it cranked so I made it home. The car done the very same thing the next night, this time driving at 65mph on a 4 lane highway.. this sounds like the same problem others have described concerning the throttle body. This vehicle is too new for these problems to be happening. A dangerous situation in heavy traffic.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

Nov 042013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the transmission warning light illuminated as the vehicle began to shake. The shut the vehicle off and once restarted, it functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 34,824.

- Milwakee, WI, USA

Nov 242013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down I-5 and 2011 Ford Escape started to decelerate while foot was on the gas pedal. Had to switch lanes and exit highway before I lost momentum. No one was injured in the process. Shut it off for about ten minutes then turned it over but it struggled to fire. When started we drove straight home and parked it. I then got on the computer to research the issue and looked up any recalls on the vehicle. I found arfc and seen about 270 or more complaints about the same issue. I'm curious why Ford didn't recall this vehicle because that is a safety concern and with so many complaints you think something would be done.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Nov 172013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a busy interstate in the center lane, my 2011 Ford Escape suddenly made a jerking motion, made a loud noise and then started slowing down quickly. I was pressing on the gas pedal but the car kept slowing down. I was barely able to get to the shoulder of the road. I feared for my life while doing this. I then noticed a wrench symbol lit on my dash. I checked the owners manual and the wrench symbol showed throttle control/powertrain. Since I have certified pre owned warranty with Ford, I called for roadside assistance. While waiting almost three hours in the rain for a tow truck and sitting on the shoulder of the road, I was terrified. I was almost hit by five semis. My car was towed to the closest Ford dealership. The throttle body was replaced.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 042013

The Escape, while driving on the freeway, starting idling high, and allowed no acceleration. This happened in October, and then again today. It has also at numerous times, "slipped" and accelerated very quickly when starting the car. Today, it happened again twice where it was idling very high and gas pedal didn't respond. We had to tow it to a dealership where we were told that the throttle body is shorted out.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 052013

Escape 4-cyl

This vehicle has now been back to the dealer three times to fix the adaptive transmission. On occasion the vehicle lurches when shifting gears. The problem is especially acute having backed out of the garage and when putting the car into drive in the first 300 feet the vehicle "kickbacks". the dealer can only reboot the adaptive transmission. This resets the car for about one week and afterwards the vehicle goes back to the herky jerk pattern between gears.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Nov 162013

Escape 4-cyl

Turning off the feeder road of the freeway and the vehicle shook and was unable to apply the gas. The engine was on but the car would not move. The wrench light came on. Have been told this is a throttle body issue and it is not covered under my extended warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on I-75 South, atlanta area, 55 mph, when my Ford Escape 2011 lost all power and I coasted to side of road during rush hour --- very scary, and very dangerous. Took vehicle to Ford service and was charged $474.15 to replace defective throttle body (not covered under transmission, engine, powertrain warranty). Read on-line that there are many other Ford owners experiencing this same dangerous problem. Sure hope you will warn other Ford owners and organize a recall. Please let me know if there is anyone else I can contact to move a recall forward.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Nov 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving normal speed, without warning, "wrench icon" appears and gas pedal fails to respond. Coast to stop in a parking lot. Shut off engine, restart vehicle and it drives normal for remainder of 2 mile trip. Start next errand and same thing happens. Sounds like the throttle body failure and limp mode that I have been researching online.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Nov 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving in the center lane of a 3-lane highway I heard a loud "thunk" from the engine compartment & felt the vehicle suddenly slowing down. When I stepped on the accelerator, I felt no response & looked at the dash to see the wrench light on. I looked over to make sure the gear shift was still in drive, thinking maybe it has slipped into neutral. I stepped on the accelerator again - nothing. Vehicle had a strong shaking/vibration I was able to coast to the shoulder out of traffic. I shut the car off & was able to able to restart without the wrench light coming on again. I will be taking the car to Ford dealer to be checked because "stalling" on a major highway is not something I want to experience again. Hope they fix this problem!!!!

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Oct 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body needed to be replaced driving on the highway at about 65mph, the car gave a small jerk and the wrench icon illuminated, the car appeared to still have power but there was no ability to accelerate. Luckily I was able to move over two lanes of busy, speedy traffic (as there was no left side shoulder) and pull off without causing an accident. I turned the vehicle off then restarted it, it appeared to run okay after that until about 3 miles later the exact thing occurred again. This happened three times on the highway and once I was able to exit it happened once again on a rural road at about 35-40mph. I called for service and took the car in the next day, while on the way to the dealer, the car did the same thing once more - at about 45 mph. This was an extremely nerve-wracking experience, especially while in heavy traffic on the freeway - it could have easily cause an accident and turned out much worse. Once the dealer called me to tell me what the issue was I looked online to see if I could find any information and came across hundreds of other complaints, almost exactly the same experience I had. I feel, based on the number of complaints I have read and the need for so many people to have this part replaced it should be a formal recall by Ford and not something that the consumer has to pay for, as I am now. It's only a matter of time before this situation occurs and causes serious injury or death, if that hasn't already happened.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Sep 272013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving her car home when the wrench light came on and the car went into limp mode dramatically reducing the cars speed to 15 mph. Good thing she had gotten off the interstate before this happened. The check engine light came on I read the code it was P2111 throttle stuck open. Turning the car off reset the throttle body for about 5 miles then the car went back into limp mode and it even quit. This happened on 9/27/13 on Monday 9/30/13 I called the local Ford dealer they said the car was out of warranty by mileage and the throttle body was not covered. The Ford dealer had 2 throttle bodies on hand my wife took my car the Ford dealer and bought a throttle body for her car at a cost of $181. After I installed the new throttle body the check engine light and the wrench light have went out and the car runs like new. My biggest concern if this had happened wile she was on the interstate and the car went into limp mode this could have cause a major accident maybe even killing her and my niece who was with her.

- Gauley Bridge, WV, USA

Oct 172013

Escape 6-cyl

About 12:30 pm October 17th I was attempting to pull out of a parking lot onto the feeder road of a freeway. As I stepped on the gas to pull out, I got a surge and then my car stalled leaving me stranded on the side of a busy road. The wrench light came on and while my car still had power, it would not accelerate. My vehicle was almost hit 3 times by drivers who were not paying attention. After about 10 minutes I was able to get the car restarted and I drove to my destination. About 7:30 am on October 22 this happened again in my neighborhood as I was driving down the street going 20 miles an hour. Wrench light was on. October 28th about 11:00 am, I was doing 40 mph down a two lane road and the car did not surge, but I did lose all acceleration and had to stop and turn my car off and wait about 5-10 minutes to restart. The wrench light was on. October 29th about 12:30 pm, I was making a right hand turn onto a busy street and the car stalled and I had to turn off the engine. The wrench light was on. I restarted the car and less than a mile later it happened again, but this time the service engine light came on.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 192013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on I75 North near dayton, oh my 2011 Ford Escape all of a sudden lost all ability to accelerate. The RPM's dropped down to 0 and the power train/transmission light came on. There was no ability to do anything other than brake and get off the highway. I was traveling at 70mph on a busy highway at the time. On the shoulder I shut off the car, and restarted it. Everything seemed normal. I needed to get back to toledo, oh. About 30 miles later the car did the same thing as before. Once again, I was fortunately on a section of I75 with a shoulder. I was able to pull over and shut off the vehicle and restart. I was able to make it the rest of the way on the trip. If this incident had happened in an area with no shoulder, in construction, in the middle of the highway with no way to get to the shoulder, on a hill.....etc the results could have been disastrous. The Ford dealer determined that the throttle body had failed. Once again, this could have been a terrible accident under different circumstances. To lose all power on the highway traveling 70mph in busy traffic is a safety issue. This part should be recalled and removed from other vehicles before someone suffers a terrible accident due to this failure.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Oct 232013

Escape 6-cyl

Just left highway sitting at red light. Light turned green and proceeded to go when a tool light that looks like a wrench lit up on the dash. Car would not go just coasted along. I was able to slowly coast the car over to the side of the road after I turned my hazard lights on to alert the other drivers that I was having problems. I put the car in park and turned the car off. I was able to restart the car and continue to drive to my destination. I called the Ford service department that I take my vehicle to and was told that it sounds like the car needs a new throttle body.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 182013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate at aprox. 65mph my car lost all speed and quit responding to the gas pedal. I was able to make it to the side of the interstate. My car was still running (rough) so I turned it off. After several min I tried to restart the car (per my mechanic knowledge) and it started right up. I drove to the nearest Ford dealer and after they inspected my car was told I needed a throttle body. So needless to say $461 later my car is fixed but really annoyed that 9000 miles out of warranty things are already falling apart.

- Providence Forge, VA, USA

Oct 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 55 mph and all of a sudden my vehicle would no longer accelerate. Luckily I was able to safely pull over and once I came to a stop I noticed my vehicle was idling rough and would not respond to the throttle and noticed the light with a wrench was also on. I turned the vehicle off and was able to start it back up and make it home and after doing some research this seems to be a very common problem with the Ford Escape. Will be taking to a dealer to see what they can do.

- Saint Paul, VA, USA

Oct 212013

I was driving down I-80 at 65 mph and all of a sudden I had no power with my gas pedal and my engine light (wrench) came on. My car was still running, but when I pressed the gas pedal it did nothing. I pulled off to the side of the road and called for road assistance. Sitting there my RPM's was around 1,000 and my car would shake. While waiting for a tow truck, I shut my car off and then started it again. When I pressed on the gas it started to go again. However, when I tried to get back on the interstate I had no power again and my engine light came back on. I had my car towed to a Ford dealership and they checked it and they said that the throttle body was the problem.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Oct 182013

Traveling at a speed of around 50mph and all of a sudden the car jumped and lost power. When I pushed the gas pedal, there was nothing and even the tachometer would not move. Was able to coast into a parking lot and turn car off. After a few minutes, the car cranked and all dashboard lights went crazy. Was able to continue home, but car was running very sluggish. Thank goodness I was on a quiet country road. Had this occurred on a more heavily traveled road, it would have been very dangerous considering I had 6 and 7 year old grandchildren in my car.dealership diagnosed as throttle body problem. Even though the throttle body is part of the power train, it is not covered under warranty??a $800 repair at 45K miles is not something you look forward to.

- Hiram, GA, USA