2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Oct 082014

Escape

As I was driving my car lost it throttle. The engine continued to run but I had no ability to accelerate. I pulled the car over. Turned it off, then back on and the car appeared to show no issues. About two weeks later the issue appeared again. Same solution. From my research this appears to be a common issue and could very much endanger anyone in the vehicle.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 262014

Escape

Driving on freeway approx 65 mph, no warning, engine completely stops. Thankfully able to drift over to shoulder of exit lane and restarted with no detectable issues. Asked mechanics to run alternator diagnostics - as they said the alternator was the only thing that would make an engine completely cut off. Tested ok. Parked for weekend. Same thing happened on Monday morning. Searched for problem online, found throttle body comments. Called local dealer - service adviser told me it was covered under recall, but appointment setter told me it wasn't. we'll see when I get there tomorrow. Very terrifying experience - I'm lucky I travel at very early traffic times. I don't think I will ever feel safe in the vehicle after reading so many similar stories.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 262014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Entered left turn lane to approach off ramp, truck stalled. Appx 40mph. Turned off and restarted, drove home. Had noticed jumping response from idle to reverse to drive, particularly upon first ignition of day, for about a week. Have contacted dealership for repair of noted throttle body issue, which is scheduled for 1 week from today.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Feb 072012

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the vehicle was leaking engine oil. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the rear main engine seal failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,327.

- Fairview , PA, USA

Sep 112014

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 5 mph, the service warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was restarted and the service and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 132014

Escape

Driving down freeway at 85 miles per hour. Vehicle stalls and rpms or mph won't move. Pull over put in park, vehicle shakes real bad and wrench comes on. Turn off and restart, wrench drops off. 50 miles down the road same instance, except after restarting wrench drops and check engine light comes on. Bring to dealership. Throttle actuator control system stuck open and they say possible recall. Week later going 65 down highway and same instance happens. Take it to different dealership and they say we have throttle body recall, they recalibrate the recall. Now vehicle doesn't always switch rpms when it's supposed to. It'll jerk before shifting and then wrench and check engine light comes back on. Back to dealership and they say throttle actuator control and possible new throttle body down the road. Spent almost 1000 dollars on recall in last couple months and now they telling us the recall was just a recalibration and but might need a new throttle body?? what was the recall for. Frustrated with Ford.

- Williston, ND, USA

Aug 042014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway going approx. 70 mph and without warning lost all acceleration. I had to maneuver across 4 lanes of traffic to get on the shoulder. I turned the car off and was preparing to call a tow truck when I started the car again and had limited acceleration. I was able to "limp" the car home and to a repair shop. The repair shop said the throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 192014

Escape

Signs of issue during the occurrence: -car stop running -throttle alarm showed up -transmission alarm showed up -the issue happens approx. 3 to 4 times a month you will need to stop and turn off your engine for a while before you can start driving the car again, the throttle alarm will go away but the transmission stays sometime approximately after 12 hours.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down road and just quit running.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jun 282014

Escape

The Ford Escape has been randomly stalling at times while driving. I am forced to either pull off to the side of the road or quickly turn off my car and turn it back on again in the middle of the road.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Sep 282011

Escape 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing the Escape the engine seemed to quit when making a turn. Turning off the key and restarting the engine worked. Nothing for months and then it happened again. My wife thought the engine was quitting so I asked the dealer if they were aware of similar issues. All servicing was performed at Ford until the warranty was out. Never a mention of any problems from the dealer.the engine continued to have intermittent issues and one day it happened when I was driving. I determined the engine was not quitting but would drop to about 1000 RPM with no throttle response. If you kept the transmission in drive the vehicle would decelerate quickly and sometimes would not allow moving to a safe location. Restarting the engine twice always resets the problem and it randomly happens at a later date. It is very intermittent and always happens without warning. It's getting worse with age.

- Duck River, TN, USA

Apr 192014

Escape

I was traveling northwest on I 26 when I heard a pop and lost speed and control. I eased over to the right side of the highway and tried to stop. At this time, the car started to shake violently. Eventually the car stopped and would not start again. I had to be towed to newberry and left the car at a garage and rented a car to continue my trip to pick my granddaughter and return to charleston. I had to pay $85 to the tow truck driver, $385 for the car rental and $486.36 to the garage for the throttle body replacement. Now I find out this has had a recall. If I had been notified, I would not be out nearly $1000, not to mention the safety aspect of this whole incident. I could have been seriously injured or killed.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Apr 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle bucked violently and stalled. Called Ford to have it towed. Before tow truck arrived, vehicle restarted and drove 2 miles to nearest Ford dealer. Throttle body was found to be faulty and replaced. I had made numerous complaints about poor shifting, bucking, bad mileage, etc. And dealership always told me it was not broken in yet, and nothing could be done unless it "threw a code". well it threw one this time. Since the replacement, software updates have been made, a warranty extension issued, and the problems with rough shifting, bad mileage and an occasional feeling like I have been rear ended (when no one is around) have continued. I have just gotten a case number from Ford. We'll see where this goes.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jun 102014

Escape

Vehicle stalled during mild acceleration after an abrupt and jerky shift transition. Lost engine power but accesories remained on and the wrench indicator lamp turned on. Normal operation of vehicle was restored after turning ignition key off and restarting the vehicle.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 132014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle accelerated quickly from a stopped position upon starting in the morning. I have to put my foot on the brake to keep it from surging forward even though I have not pressed the gas peddle at all. Vehicle jolts forward suddenly during driving at slow speeds and often when starting from a stop. Also sometimes increases acceleration when coasting at a medium speed when no gas has been applied.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

May 202014

Escape 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle it operates as it should, once the RPM slow to an idle the vehicle will surge and stall at idle. At slow speeds (10-20 mph) the vehicle will surge and stall when the throttle is applied. The vehicle shuts down and steering and braking abilities are minimal, the vehicle will surge at speeds of 45mph however it does not stall at this speed. On the highway at a speed of 70 mph the vehicle will surge slightly, however it is not as noticeable of an event as at slower speeds.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

May 062014

Escape 6-cyl

During rush hour traffic on a busy highway, my 18 year old daughter was attempting to accelerate from a legal right turn on red. With traffic approaching the gas pedal become unresponsive, she began quickly losing speed, she was in the right hand lane thank god with a turn lane and was able to pull over before slowing to a complete halt. Had she been in a center lane or on a stretch with no shoulder, there could have easily been a severe accident. The gas peddle just became totally unresponsive as she came to a stop. When she was completely stopped noticed the service engine light, a red battery light and wrench light all came on. Waited 10 min for me to get to her. We restarted car seemed fine. I took to Ford dealer last night. Ford dealer called this morning as advised fuel throttle problem and said no problem warranty extended on that problem to 150,000 miles 10 years, you will not have to pay. Christ I'm not worried about paying. I"M worried about getting my family or someone else's family killed. Shame on Ford for not recalling after all the complaints I have seen now. Something must be done now before major accident with deaths involved!!!!!

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle has been stalling daily since July 2013. Vehicle when in for service 4-30-14 do to drivers concern of vehicle crashing at freeway and surface street speeds. On 4-29-14 the vehicle stalled (5) times and seems to stall during throttle changes from closed to traffic flow speeds. The "check engine light" and "fill cap" light were on. Dealer pulled codes P144A, P1450 and P2196 and replaced the purgevalve (9U5Z-9C915-H). This is a major safety concern along with the vehicle exceeding emission.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Apr 122014

Escape 4-cyl

Engine suddenly lost power several countless times during a 300 mile journey on a highway. I almost crashed vehicle during the early occurrences.

- Accra, Ghana, WI, USA

Apr 072014

Escape 6-cyl

Loss of power at highway speed, 70 miles per hour, during rush hour traffic. My wife had to pull over to breakdown lane and turn off engine, on I-95 in West palm beach fl area. Wrench light illuminated. Vehicle restarted, after a few minutes waiting at side of very busy highway. Second time this happened within two weeks. Very dangerous situation!!!!!! 2011 Ford Escape ltd 3 L V6.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA