2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Nov 192013

Escape 6-cyl

This is the second time this has happened to me. Both time I was on my way to work. The first time I was going about 45mph turning on the street to my office and the engine dies. I have no power. I am pressing on the gas and nothing. I stop the car and pit it in park. I restart the car and it starts right up. I think oh no big deal maybe I have a bad tank of gas. Maybe the engine was not getting any fuel. Did not think too much into the problem this morning it happens again! except I was going a lot faster and I was on the highway. I am going about 65mph and 10 minute away from work. I am in the far left lane and the engine dies. I instantly panic and need to get over five lanes of traffic. I put my flashers on luckily I still have power for those. I was able to get over on the side of the road before I came to a complete stop. I put it in park and take the key out. Sit there for a minute while I catch my breath because I just crossed 5 lanes of rush hour traffic with a engine that is not on. I put the key in and it starts right up. I press on the gas and I have power again. Why is this happening? I have been reading online about this problem and it sounds like this is happening to a lot of us. Ford is wrong for not coming out with a recall by now.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Nov 152013

Escape

Vehicle cut off while driving 65mph on highway with no warning.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 012012

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on I-75 South, atlanta area, 55 mph, when my Ford Escape 2011 lost all power and I coasted to side of road during rush hour --- very scary, and very dangerous. Took vehicle to Ford service and was charged $474.15 to replace defective throttle body (not covered under transmission, engine, powertrain warranty). Read on-line that there are many other Ford owners experiencing this same dangerous problem. Sure hope you will warn other Ford owners and organize a recall. Please let me know if there is anyone else I can contact to move a recall forward.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Aug 302012

Escape 6-cyl

While I was driving the engine stalled down so pulled off the road engine was still running but running rough and no throttle response I shut the engine off then started it back up and everything was fine so drove off. Later that same day it did it again. Next day brought to Ford dealership and they had it for a week trying to get it to do the same thing for them but never did so I picked it back up and was a couple miles away and it stalled on me again brought it back to the dealership they kept it over night again and next day told me it stalled on them and said I need a new throttle body but was on back order. So here I am almost three months later and still no part and today Nov. 11 2013 I had the engine stall on me 8 times.

- Somerset, WI, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at 45 mph engine lost power maintenance and check engine light came on. After stopping and shutting down the engine. Engine was hard to restart. Engine started and I resumed driving. Now this is a regular occurrence happening with no warning. The code in the computer is P2112, throttle actuator control system stuck closed. It happens at various speed including interstate speeds. While looking for a replacement part I found this is happening to a lot of Escape owners and a recall was issued for earlier models. It appears to me Ford has yet to fix the problem. I am reluctant to invest the $500-$600 for the repair if it is just going to happen again.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving normal speed, without warning, "wrench icon" appears and gas pedal fails to respond. Coast to stop in a parking lot. Shut off engine, restart vehicle and it drives normal for remainder of 2 mile trip. Start next errand and same thing happens. Sounds like the throttle body failure and limp mode that I have been researching online.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Oct 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body needed to be replaced driving on the highway at about 65mph, the car gave a small jerk and the wrench icon illuminated, the car appeared to still have power but there was no ability to accelerate. Luckily I was able to move over two lanes of busy, speedy traffic (as there was no left side shoulder) and pull off without causing an accident. I turned the vehicle off then restarted it, it appeared to run okay after that until about 3 miles later the exact thing occurred again. This happened three times on the highway and once I was able to exit it happened once again on a rural road at about 35-40mph. I called for service and took the car in the next day, while on the way to the dealer, the car did the same thing once more - at about 45 mph. This was an extremely nerve-wracking experience, especially while in heavy traffic on the freeway - it could have easily cause an accident and turned out much worse. Once the dealer called me to tell me what the issue was I looked online to see if I could find any information and came across hundreds of other complaints, almost exactly the same experience I had. I feel, based on the number of complaints I have read and the need for so many people to have this part replaced it should be a formal recall by Ford and not something that the consumer has to pay for, as I am now. It's only a matter of time before this situation occurs and causes serious injury or death, if that hasn't already happened.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Oct 302013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced a fuel surge causing a reaction that was not intended by the driver. The car joltedas if one mashed the accelerator then released repeatedly. Once the vehicle came to a stop the car spit and sputtered like bad engine timing. We turned the vehicle off where it sat overnight. It was hard to start this morning and experienced the same problem twice this morning while taking the kids to school. I stopped by an advanced auto parts store where the attendant pulled the service code P2112 throttle actuator stuck closed.

- Robertsdale, AL, USA

Sep 272013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving her car home when the wrench light came on and the car went into limp mode dramatically reducing the cars speed to 15 mph. Good thing she had gotten off the interstate before this happened. The check engine light came on I read the code it was P2111 throttle stuck open. Turning the car off reset the throttle body for about 5 miles then the car went back into limp mode and it even quit. This happened on 9/27/13 on Monday 9/30/13 I called the local Ford dealer they said the car was out of warranty by mileage and the throttle body was not covered. The Ford dealer had 2 throttle bodies on hand my wife took my car the Ford dealer and bought a throttle body for her car at a cost of $181. After I installed the new throttle body the check engine light and the wrench light have went out and the car runs like new. My biggest concern if this had happened wile she was on the interstate and the car went into limp mode this could have cause a major accident maybe even killing her and my niece who was with her.

- Gauley Bridge, WV, USA

Oct 172013

Escape 6-cyl

About 12:30 pm October 17th I was attempting to pull out of a parking lot onto the feeder road of a freeway. As I stepped on the gas to pull out, I got a surge and then my car stalled leaving me stranded on the side of a busy road. The wrench light came on and while my car still had power, it would not accelerate. My vehicle was almost hit 3 times by drivers who were not paying attention. After about 10 minutes I was able to get the car restarted and I drove to my destination. About 7:30 am on October 22 this happened again in my neighborhood as I was driving down the street going 20 miles an hour. Wrench light was on. October 28th about 11:00 am, I was doing 40 mph down a two lane road and the car did not surge, but I did lose all acceleration and had to stop and turn my car off and wait about 5-10 minutes to restart. The wrench light was on. October 29th about 12:30 pm, I was making a right hand turn onto a busy street and the car stalled and I had to turn off the engine. The wrench light was on. I restarted the car and less than a mile later it happened again, but this time the service engine light came on.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 262013

Escape 6-cyl

Complete loss of power, no throttle response, loss of speed on highway. Dash shows wrench, check engine light. Was able to pull off road, turned off engine. Restarted car. Same situation within another 3 miles of restart. Auto zone verified code P2111. This failure put the family into a very dangerous situation at highway speeds.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 55 mph and all of a sudden my vehicle would no longer accelerate. Luckily I was able to safely pull over and once I came to a stop I noticed my vehicle was idling rough and would not respond to the throttle and noticed the light with a wrench was also on. I turned the vehicle off and was able to start it back up and make it home and after doing some research this seems to be a very common problem with the Ford Escape. Will be taking to a dealer to see what they can do.

- Saint Paul, VA, USA

Oct 202013

Escape

While driving on interstate vehicle went into limp home mode. I was able to navigate to the side of the road without incident but could have been seriously injured. After restarting the vehicle everything appears fine. I believe Ford is already under investigation for incidents like this and I wanted to add mine to show the severity of this issue. A recall is needed asap.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Oct 182013

Escape 6-cyl

Today on nearby interstate highway, suddenly my throttle pedal acted useless with no power, engine idled down. Throttle pedal useless in any position. Engine outline light came on as well a open end wrench. Wrench warning light in listed in owners manual as "throttle control / powertrain fault, please contact dealer." I called the Ford dealer service department, he knew pretty quickly the defect I was describing. He informed me that my 2011 Ford Escape is a couple thousand miles over the 3yr 36,000 mile warranty. But he also said I may be covered under an extended emissions warranty. My car is just over 2 years old. This is a dangerous defect in the car which is documented as being under investigation in these NHTSA.gov websites. Please raise the status of this defect to be an official recall before someone dies.

- Berkeley Heights, NJ, USA

Oct 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle quit working.would only idle and check engine light and wrench light came on.pulled off on the side of the road and had to cut engine off and back on to get throttle working. Happened again one week later.just lucky was not on interstate in heavy traffic doing 70 mph. Both times engine code was P2111, throttle actuator stuck open. Vehicle has 60000 miles on it and dealer said throttle body was not under power train and was only covered under the 3/36 warranty. Purchased new throttle body at dealer and parts manager said it was the fourth revision to the part number. Hope they got it right this time, it could put you in a very dangerous situation.

- Dublin, VA, USA

Oct 102013

Escape 6-cyl

At 65 mph in rush hour traffic my vehicle transmission disengaged and my vehicle started coasting. I could not accelerate, the engine vibrated roughly when I tried to accelerate, and I had to pull over to the side of the road. It is my understanding the throttle body stopped working and caused this to occur. The same thing happened 3 more times on this same day. Once at 10 mph, once at 45 mph, and once at 55 mph. Each time I was able to pull over, shut off the vehicle and restart it. The transmission would re-engage and I could continue on my way.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 012013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on the freeway on my 2011 Ford Escape the 4th lane when the car made a sudden noise of loss of power and my dashboard lights when dimmer...the power of my car was diminishing and it felt as if the car engine was going to die on me...scary...I felt my heart drop to my stomach...looked left and had cars coming on the contiguous lane so I could not move to the emergency lane/shoulder, looked right and fortunately no cars were coming immediately (my steering was still ok ) other cars were far away so I moved to my right 3 lanes and even though the car felt that it was going to stop I continued with the momentum it had. I was able to get off the freeway since there was an exit as I moved the 3 lanes. Very scary experience. The car sort of stalled at the corner but I was in a safe spot. I called the dealership immediately to ask for the roadside assistance number and the service department person asked me if I turned the car off would it start again? the car did start again as if nothing had happened. Really crazy! when the dealership checked it they diagnosed faulty throttle body, they fixed it apparently but now I am driving on the slow lane all the time unless I am passing because I have fears it might happen again. I lived a very scary situation.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving for about an hour, then came to a stop light. When the light turned green and I pressed the accelerator, the engine died (but the car's electronics stayed on) and the check engine light came on, no movement from the car. I turned it off and back on. The engine struggled to start. I then proceeded to drive another half mile at about 55mph, and the engine stalled again while at driving speed. I managed to pull over, turned it off, waited 5 minutes, then was able to drive 3 miles home. A month and half later, my wife was driving at roughly 30mph and the engine did the same thing(stalled). Turned it off, struggled to start, but managed to drive 5 miles home. I took it to Ford in between the first and second incident, they said there was nothing wrong, but cleaned the throttle body. I have since learned of investigation # PE13-003 which appears to be the exact problem I am having. Ford has not helped me in the matter, but I believe this issue needs to be addressed.

- Drumfries, VA, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 4-cyl

As I was driving down the road, all the sudden without notice, the vehicle went to 1 RPM and 5 miles per hour. Tried to accelerate and it would not, then the wrench light came on. I put on my flashers immediately so I would not get rear ended by cars coming fast behind me. Then, the vehicle stalled out. The check engine light never came on. Sat there in the rain for a few minutes. Then, started the vehicle back up again, to get it home. Then, I was afraid to drive it, called the Ford dealer to get my vehicle in, they could not look at it until Monday of the next week, so had vehicle towed on Saturday to dealer---extra cost involved on a 2 year old vehicle. The service department looked at it, they could not duplicate the problem. I pick up the vehicle on 9/25/2013. Drove the vehicle for 4 days, then happened again on 9/29/13 and it had been raining. Then, drove the next day 9/30/13, again threw the wrench symbol after going to 1 RPM and 2 to 5 miles per hour and bucking, could not accelerate at all. It was dry on this day. Again, put my flashers on this time was going 30 mph on a narrow two lane road. Remember the service engine light never came on, but they were able to find a code this time. They said it was the throttle body, so I began asking more questions as to why Ford has not recalled this since so many across the usa are having issues. No one knows, so as a consumer on a tight budget --like many of us these days....gets to figure out all the money pieces. I guess I will need a third job just for vehicle repairs on a two year old vehicle. This was a very scary experience and Ford needs to do something about this before anyone else is seriously injured or killed. This problem should not be happening with a two year old maintained vehicle. Now because it is over the 36,000 miles more money out of pocket....geez.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 302013

Escape

After coming to a near stop, the engine began to surge and the vehicle lurched 6 or 7 times. After touching the throttle, the engine became responsive again.

- Ofallon, MO, USA