2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Sep 272013

Escape 6-cyl

At highway speed, engine and drive train became totally unresponsive on congested dallas freeway. Wrench light came on, no other indications. Vehicle lost all speed and was forced to cross traffic lanes with no motive power to safety lane very nearly causing three different traffic accidents with other vehicles. Totally limp. Once parked, shut off motor and restarted. Engine started and drive train engaged again. Wrench light no longer appeared, no other indicating lamps or errors. Returned to roadway and within 5 minutes same thing recurred. Pulled over, restarted engine, drive train reengaged, returned to roadway and exited to side roads to home. Once on the side road, same thing happened again in front of a semi coming up from behind and narrowly escaped getting hit from behind before pulling over again. Same routine occurred 4 more times before I could get it into the dealership. Last occurrence in addition to the wrench light coming on and off, the engine light came on and stayed on. Vehicle condition is known, reported multiple times and has been investigated by the nthsb already without a recall. This known condition is extremely dangerous to the operators of affected vehicles and to other unsuspecting motorist and the general public. Pressure needs to be applied to Ford Motor Company to address this matter and notify affected owners and operators of affected vehicles. Today the vehicle is at the dealership and with just a thousand or so miles over warranty, dealer says it is not covered and the estimated $600 repair is my issue.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I bought my 2011 Ford Escape brand new and it has about 40K miles on it. I've never had any issues. It's been a great car with all of my traveling and I've always trusted that it would get me from point a to point B safely. Until today! I got an oil change and check-up last week, no problems. This morning, I was driving on a busy 4-lane interstate when my car lost all power and started shaking and jerking. I was going about 65-70 mph when it stalled and quickly decelerated as cars were swerving around me and speeding past. The engine was still running, the check engine light popped on, and pressing the gas pedal did nothing. It was a miracle that I was able to safely maneuver over to the shoulder without causing an accident and killing someone or myself. I was completely caught off guard and spooked by the whole thing. I restarted my car and the check engine light was off and the car seemed normal. I got off at the next exit to avoid playing car accident roulette on the highway. Everything was fine for the next few miles. Then.. it happened again! this time as I was approaching a busy intersection. Scary, scary stuff. It was like driving a ticking time bomb! this time the check engine light remained on and it took me twice to get my engine to restart. I drove directly to the nearest Ford dealership. I was very caught off guard as my car had just been serviced and had always been reliable in the past. Ford replaced the throttle body. After a simple google search, I discovered how common this issue has been and was shocked. I cannot believe that this part hasn't been recalled yet! I find it to be extremely irresponsible of Ford to be so complacent with a known issue when people's lives are in jeopardy. Turning your back on a problem and ignoring it is not satisfactory customer service. This part needs to be recalled asap before someone is hurt or killed.

- White Hall, MD, USA

Sep 222013

Escape

My vehicle stalled twice yesterday while going though busy intersections and the wrench light came on. I would pull over at a super slow speed and then turn the car off and back on. Finding this rare for a well maintained 2 year old vehicle, I looked up "Escape stalling" on google and found a plethora of complaints. I took it to the dealer today and mentioned what was happening with the car and what I had seen on the internet and he didn't give any credence to it. I am still waiting for a diagnosis and hope the problem can be repaired. Luckily there was no one behind me either time...but this could have easily been a very nasty accident because there is no warning that the car is going to stall. Notes: I purchased the vehicle in NJ February 2011

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 232013

Escape

While driving on my morning work commute I was stunned when my 2011 Ford Escape just became unresponsive and was coasting on a 5 lane freeway doing 65 mph. I really did not know what was going on since the only signal that could classify a problem was the little wrench light at the bottom left of the dashboard that was on. I did not do anything out of the ordinary, and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with the ride. My observations - rpms dropped below 1,000, speed was coasting but dropping since there was no acceleration, electrical was on, steering was sluggish like something was wrong, and a small shaking of the vehicle occurred. The only thing I could do is put my blinker to move to the shoulder but my fellow commuters did not respect that very well. So I promoted my desired to get off the freeway by turning my hazard emergency lights and that's when they started to move away from me to get to the shoulder. My experience did rattle me since I felt hopeless in a sense that I wanted to hit the brake and remembered that I was on a freeway which would be really bad. After pulling over to the shoulder I did manage to turn the vehicle off completely pull the key out and give it about a minute. After I started it up again I figured it was a single occurrence, which I was wrong when it happened again on the way home but I was down the street from my house.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 182013

Escape

The car stopped responding to the gas pedal as I was merging into traffic. I pulled over, turned the car off and waited 15 minutes. I turned it back on, had the same behavior when I tried pulling out of the parking lot. I had to toe the vehicle to the dealership. The mechanic knew right away what the issue was, mentioning that it was common. The dealer replaced the throttle body and charged a $100 premium to use my warranty, despite it being a "known" issue.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle sporadically failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact referenced NHTSA action number: DP12006 (engine) and stated that the parts were not available to complete the repair under the technical service bulletin. The approximate failure mileage was 53,227. The consumer stated the vehicle went into limp mode causing the vehicle to accelerate at 5 mph.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 202013

Escape

While driving down the highway my vehicle went straight to limp mode with no warning at all. I had to pull to the side of the highway while traffic was stopping behind me and trying to pass me. A wrench light and check engine light came on and I could not throttle my vehicle at all. I cut the ignition off, let it sit a minute and cranked it again. The problem went away. This has happened numerous times the last 2 days. It has happened while trying to go through intersections and while turning across traffic. The diagnostics at advanced auto shows throttle body stuck open. This is a very dangerous situation that seems to be happening to a lot of these vehicles.

- Williamston, NC, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was entering an intersection preparing to turn left. When she got enough of a clearing between vehicles to turn she went to accelerate to go thru with the left turn and she had no gas to go. The peddle hit the floor and the car died. She was able to coast thru the light with out being hit. But after that the car had to be towed home. We had to replace the throttle body on the vehicle. She was very lucky not to be in a serious crash because of this part going bad!

- Willard, OH, USA

Sep 172013

Escape

This following incident happened both yesterday and today. Driving around 20 mph and service light came on immediately dumping me in "limp mode". took the vehicle to both autozone and another private repair shop with better diagnostics, neither could pick up a defect code. Research on Ford Escapes today, shows that this could be a problem. I do not want the vehicle to go into limp mode while driving down the road. Hoping the NHTSA recalls the Escapes to resolve this issue.

- Somerset, PA, USA

Apr 152013

Escape 6-cyl

On several occasions my engine has stalled. Each time it happened I was at a stop and when I started to go through the intersections the engine stalled. It would start again but the stall put me in very dangerous situations.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Sep 182012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving in the left hand lane on a busy, busy dallas highway at 60+ mph, the engine failed. I managed to pull over -- across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic -- without getting hit from behind, while being honked at along the way, and managed to pull over on a small shoulder. I turned the car off and restarted it. The next two weeks, it did the same thing a few more times, but I was driving in the far right lane so it was less precarious. I took it into the dealership, where they diagnosed a throttle body failure. My vehicle has 46,000 miles only on it. My understanding is that this is an ongoing problem with Ford but they will not recall and fix the problem. Someone is going to be killed.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 092013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power. Would only idle. Wrench light illuminated. Had to shut vehicle off and restart.

- Monette, AR, USA

Aug 022013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at 45 mph, engine cut out but remained idling with no power. Pulled to side of road, shut car off then restarted while in "park" gear position. Traveled 1500 miles without incident, then engine lost power on 08/12/2013 while traveling 70 mph on freeway. Pulled to side of freeway and restarted car while in "park." Car ran fine for another 1500 miles, then on 09/06/2013 began losing power several times while going 30 mph (odometer was at 28,944). Limped home and called Lincoln/Ford dealership and arranged for tow. Car is presently at dealership waiting for warranty repair; "throttle body assembly" on order. There was no recall notice sent to me regarding this Ford Escape engine fault. The freeway loss of power incident put family in extreme danger while attempting to get to side of road.

- Naples, FL, USA

Sep 032013

Escape

I was driving to work in the morning and my Escape stalled while going through a four way intersection. I thought that this may have been an isolated incident so I continued driving. I then noticed while I was in traffic that the engine would shutter and not idle normally. It stalled again the next day. I took it to the Ford dealership in the city where I live with the check engine light on, they tested it and then the light reset itself?? they took it on a test drive and nothing happened with them while they were driving so they said that there was nothing that they could do. My car is shutting off while I am in trafic and driving, this is a serious safety issue. I have been blessed that the brakes work on the cars that drive around me or else I would have been in a serious accident on more than one occasion this week!!! please recall these cars and get them fixed before someone dies!!!!

- Hinesville , GA, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact leased a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving. The vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. It was determined the vehicle needed a new throttle body. The failure and current mileage was 40,000. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer has since returned the leased vehicle.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Car slowing down to a stop and the cuts off in the middle of driving around 3/4 had to put foot on brake and gas at same time.

- Ionesboro, GA, USA

Aug 172012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on highway at 60 mph 8/16/2013, my engine shut off. I pulled to side of road. The "wrench" light on dash was on. I called Ford bloomington, they gave me roadside assist # and had me call them to send a tow truck to bring me and my vehicle to Ford for check up. It was ready later that day, was told that they reprogrammed PCM and updated calibration, they changed air filter and told me I was "good to go" I paid $35 for that. The very next Friday, I was driving home (at 60 mph) and the engine died again and I pulled to side of road. Luckily the engine did restart and I was able to make it home. Saturday, I took my SUV to Ford bloomington, engine sputtered on the way there. Ford called rental car for me( without me asking) and again looked at the engine, was told on Monday that the throttle body was bad, needed replaced. They had the part, but it was their last one and that the part was on backorder until October. I had part replaced as it was not covered under warranty, for $500. Also I have a $110 bill from enterprise rentals.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Sep 022013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving 35-40 mph when all of the sudden my car started to slow down. I did not know what was happening at the time and I kept pressing the gas pedal but the car continued to slow. Before the car stopped, I pulled over to the side of the road, placed the car in park, turned it off, and opened my car door. Then I turned my car on again and was able to drive to the place I was going in about 7 min. I stayed at that place for around 30 min and then got in my car again where 2 min after I started driving, the car stalled again. I pulled over, turned the car off, and opened the driver's door. Then I turned the car back on and preceded to drive home (about a ten minute car ride).

- Erie, PA, USA

Escape

I was traveling on interstate at 65-70 mph, when my Escape's RPM's all of a sudden dropped to 1 and would not react to the gas pedal, luckily I was in the slow lane and managed to coast off the interstate. There was an 18-wheeler behind me and I started to panic at the speed he was gaining on me. I finally managed to get my hazards on to notify him that I was having issues. If I had not have been in the slow lane I would not have been able to get off the interstate before the car stopped completely. This is very dangerous, if I had been in the far left lane or the middle lanes the car could have stopped in the middle of the interstate. I took the vehicle to the Ford store and they informed me that it was the throttle body. I then googled the problem and found out that this is a real issue with a large majority of the vehicles not just a limited faulty part. I don't understand how Ford cannot see that this is a safety issue if someone goes to make a left turn and this happens another car could crash into them. Anytime your car does not react properly it becomes a safety issue. When an 18-wheeler is behind a vehicle that responds the way mine did today it is a safety issue. As you know a fully loaded tractor trailer cannot stop as easily as a passenger vehicle and if the vehicle in front of them all of a sudden looses power and cannot get out of their way there is going to be an accident. Once I got stopped my car did restart but getting to that point was very scary.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

On August 29, 2013 driver of a 2011 Ford Escape was attempting to turn left and accelerate the vehicle from a stoplight when the car jerked forward and would not accelerate or go with flow of traffic, and with traffic moving behind the vehicle creating dangerous situation. The dashboard showed a wrench light, and driver found it hard to move car forward as it went into "limp home" mode, sputtering all the way. The car was finally moved to the side of the road, shut off, and restarted, and driven the 3 miles home. Owner will take car to the dealership (carmax). Driver assumes will find throttle body code. The part and service should be covered under extended warranty. However, driver/owner will be out of pocket for deductible $250. Family was in car and this is definitely a safety concern on this vehicle. When it goes into limp mode there is no warning and may cause an accident when the vehicle suddenly decelerates to snail speed. I believe Ford must recall the faulty throttle body in the 2009-2011 models as they are safety issues for drivers in the car and other drivers on the road.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA