2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Aug 232013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving along and all of a sudden no gas - no power to engine - can push gas pedal to floor with nothing happening. Took car to shop - had fuel injection service, trasmission service on Saturday. Same thing happened 3 times on Sunday. (once on the highway and twice on back roads) took car to different mechanic on Monday. Body throttle cleaned. Happened again on Tuesday in the middle of a busy intersection! did some research Ford has recall on body throttle in Fusion and possible a recall coming in Escape. Called Ford to question about Escape and customer service could tell me nothing about a recall. Can you help - do you know if a recall is coming? my Escape is in the shop again for the 3rd time in 4 days!

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

On August 21, 2013 driver of a 2011 Ford Escape was attempting to turn and accelerate the vehicle from a stoplight when the car jerked forward and would not accelerate with oncoming traffic, and with traffic moving behind the vehicle. The dashboard showed a wrench light, and drive found it hard to stop car as it was sputtering and jerking forward. The car was finally moved to the side of the road, shut off, and restarted, and drive the 10 miles home. Owner took car to the dealership where throttle body code was discovered. This part is not covered under powertrain warranty, thus owner fix cost is $600. This is a safety concern on the vehicle, when it goes into safe mode there is no warning and can cause an accident when the vehicle suddenly decelerates to under 1000 RPM. I believe Ford should recall the faulty throttle body in the 2009-2011 models as they are safety issues for drivers in the car and other drivers on the road.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Aug 232013

Escape

Was at the stop light, light turns green press the gas pedal car did not move I was almost rear ended by another vehicle. Wrench light was on dash board car start to putter would not accelerate. Coasted out of the middle of the street and then the transmission light was on dash board, had to get car towed home. Found out it was the throttle body and it is a defect from the manufacturer, but Ford will not replace the consumer is responsible for replacing and it has an out of pocket fee of $548 to get the problem fixed.this is very dangerous, I was lucky I am afraid to drive the truck do not want this to happen to me again. Ford should at least try and come up with some type of solution to this problem.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

At first, while driving, the car would shut down and not respond to throttle movement, a huge safety issue in traffic. After pulling over and restarting the car, the problem seemed to go away for a while. The problem seemed to be intermittent the first few times. Finally the car shut down to an idle and would not respond to throttle movement and the wrench and engine lights came on. The car would only run limp mode. The odb codes read a P2111 and P2112 (throttle actuator control stuck open, and throttle actuator stuck closed) respectively. We had to tow the vehicle to the dealer. We were told that the entire throttle body had to be replaced at a cost of $666. The problem is that the part is unavailable for 2 weeks and maybe up to a month. We have 39000 miles on the vehicle, the warranty ran out at 36000. This issue is also not covered under the power train warranty. This seems to be a widespread issue and I am disappointed that Ford is unwilling to make this right and produce a recall.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving back from lunch and as I accelerated up a slight interstate hill, I experienced no acceleration. I immediately went to neutral and tried to rev the engine, nothing. I coasted to the emergency lane where I safely stopped and placed the car in park. Once in park, it was vibrating, sputtering and slightly lunging so I turned the car off. I sat for a few minutes, then restarted my vehicle. I was concerned about merging into traffic, so I turned on my emergency flashers and rode with them on for the remainder of my 15 minute drive. I immediately called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for the next morning. On my way home, the same scenario occurred 2 more times. Thank heavens for emergency lanes!

- Vestavia, AL, USA

Aug 182013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along at about 50mph and I completely lost power to my 2011 Escape. The accelerator did not function and would not rev the engine. I tried putting it in neutral and restarting with no success. The engine was still running but I had no power. I pulled off the road and turned off the engine. A couple of minutes later I tried to restart it so I could wait in a better location and the car started. I was able to drive to my destination but in going home the car stalled again. Again I had to turn off the engine in order to restart. I took it into the dealership the next morning and they had to replace the throttle at a cost of $505.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Aug 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was pulling out of the doctor's office with my wife and newborn child and as I pulled out (I had plenty of safe distance if my car were functioning properly) my car all of a sudden lost any acceleration capabilities and the RPM's dropped extremely low. The speed limit on the road was 55 and it started when I got to 30mph making it so the traffic already on the road ran up right behind me and nearly hit me. I was helpless and could not go any faster. This is an extremely dangerous defect, even though the car never lost complete power I lost all control to accelerate and continued to slow with fast traffic all around me. I am lucky that it did not result in an accident or any injuries to myself, family, or other motor vehicle operators. I took my Escape to the closest Ford dealership who informed me that the electronic throttle body had failed. It was not very comforting when he knew exactly what was going on when I told him what happened because he had seen this same situation so many times. I cannot believe that there is not a recall on this manufacturer defect and I hope it does not result in any accidents or worse.

- Newport, NC, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While attempting to merge onto the highway I lost engine power in my car. I was unable to accelerate or move and when I put the car into park it began to shake. I had to turn it off and try to get it to start several times before it would start again...

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on an interstate at approximately 75 mph, when the engine of my 2011 Ford Escape seemingly shut down. The gas pedal stopped working. A small golden wrench icon lit up to the left of the RPM gauge. I pulled over and as I slowed, the car jerked. I turned the car off; took out the keys and waited a few minutes. The engine had a little extra trouble to restart; but it did within 30 seconds. Two days later, a diagnostics test at my Ford dealership showed the throttle body needed to be replaced; but I was told the part was on a national back order. The same incident repeatedly happened for a total of about 10 times, before the part was at the dealership and able to be replaced. The part was replaced more than two weeks after the diagnostics test and initial incident.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Aug 082013

Escape

While driving my 2011 Ford Escape suddenly lost all power (almost felt like a stall) and the wrench light on the dash was illuminated. I pulled to the side of the road, turned it off, and after turning the vehicle back on it operated as normal. This has happened three times over the past week.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Aug 122013

Escape

Was driving along to my firefighter job when I felt my car loose power and noticed a wrench light come up on my dash. I attempted to accelerate however couldn't. I safely was able to pull off to side of the road where once I came to a stop the car jerked. I shut down my engine, waited a few mins then restarted the car to which car was running fine. I continued to work and started to research what problem can be and noticed many people have had same issue.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 6-cyl

I was accelerating and the car then just stopped accelerating. It felt like the transmission had just let go, because the car would not speed up when I stepped on the gas pedal. When I tried to stop, the idle was very rough and the car wanted to jerk forward. Luckily, I was able to get the car stopped in a safe place. When I re-started the car, the ignition was turning over, but it took several seconds before it fired. I have since brought my car to the service shop, they told me it was a defective throttle body. They said that they have had to repair this on a number of occasions. The gentleman sitting next to me says that he had the same issue with a similar vehicle - same family of car.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jul 152013

Escape 6-cyl

At a stop light. Step on gas pedal when light turns green, nothing happens. Able to get car to side of rode. Wrench light on. Turn car off and on. Wrench light gone and car drives fine. Took car to my mechanic that same day and nothing "registered" on the car's computer so no problem identified, although I was told it "might" be the "throttle body, " as he'd just replaced one on another Ford. As a "safety precaution" I was told that I could put the car in neutral and turn it on/off to get it going if it should happen on the highway. Called the Ford service people and told them exactly what happened - they also told me that they can not fix anything if nothing registered on the car's computer., I would have to wait until it happened again. Two-three weeks go by - car driving ok (when going to work I make sure to drive in right lane "just in case" and I no longer can drive on highway with my child in car). Then, it happens: While driving at approximately 40 mph the car loses power again. I get off the road. Engine light and wrench light are on. Car towed to dealer. There is an issue with the throttle body. I am driving a rental.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Aug 052013

Escape

When trying to accelerate into traffic, the engine dropped to idle and the gas pedal had no affect. Temporary solution was to pull over, turn engine off, restart (which required excessive cranking) which seemed to resolve the issue. Throttle works again. This issue has now happened 3 additional times and we have parked the car as it is unsafe and unreliable. Ford dealer has no clue about the issue and can't schedule getting it into the shop for at least 2 weeks.

- Buena Vista, CO, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving my family in our 2011 Ford Escape at 65mph on an interstate - I suddenly experienced a total loss of power. The engine did not quit - but rather decelerated rapidly to idle speed. I immediately pulled over to the side of the highway and attempted to rev the engine and shift the transmission into park, and then back into drive - with no result. I turned the vehicle off and waited 1 minute, to see if it could possibly be a computer problem. I started the car, revved the engine, shifted into drive and proceeded at normal speed. The following day this same thing happened to my wife on another highway. I called a Ford dealer and a trustworthy repair shop - and they both pointed to the throttle body assembly in the fuel system - which seems to be a common problem. I had a new throttle body installed after a Ford dealer hooked up diagnostic equipment and verified the issue. Repair cost was $513.68 parts and labor. I feel that this is a very dangerous condition - and a recall of the vehicles equipped with this part, should be happen immediately. I have read many other accounts on the internet of this exact condition. It is just a mater of time before a failure like this will occur - and a following vehicle - perhaps a semi-truck will not be able to stop in time causing a very serious injury or fatality. Luckily my wife and I were in light traffic on the freeway.

- Galena, OH, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

Throttle body stops to only idle upon accelerating or use of throttle from stop. Sometimes it will allow to accelerate up to 30 to 40 mph before it quits working upon throttle input from driver. So, it will only idle after accelerating half or part way through an intersection and you are at the mercy of incline or decline of road to hopefully coast to safety. It has done this while turning left while having to yield to oncoming traffic. It caused oncoming traffic to have to stop while I got stranded in middle of turn. Safety issue for sure.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 052013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at speeds from 50 - 65 mph, my Escape will suddenly lose power. The engine remains running, but the accelerator pedal has no effect. The vehicle will continue to move very slowly after moving to the shoulder of the road. The "wrench" light is indicated on the dash. After coming to a stop, turning the engine off and restarting, the problem is temporarily resolved. After some research on the NHTSA site, this same problem occurs in the Escape and Ford Fusion. Ford is completely aware of the problem, but has not issued a recall. The problem is the throttle control body. A local Ford dealer offered to replace the part for approximately $600. I purchased the part for $350 and will replace myself as it is a simple 10 minute job. This is a very dangerous defect and I wish that Ford would take this seriously.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 262013

Escape 6-cyl

Whether I driving in downtown traffic or highway my Ford Escape would start hesitation. Could not get a charge from to drive SUV. Or my Escape would power and the engine would die while driving or when I was pulling out from intersection. I took Ford Escape to a Ford dealership they did whatever test and told me they would have to order part. Two weeks of waiting for part to arrive and still no part dealership told me part was on a state order because I was in Florida when this happened and I was from Illinois with my trip ending and needed to get home. I felt dealership was giving me run around so I called main headquarters in detroit, Michigan and was told the throttle body was on back order because Ford was having problems figuring out problem and therefore could not send part because they didn't have a corrected throttle body part to send. I asked if Ford was doing a recall on Escape and was told not at this time. I received a called from Ford Motor Co. About 2 days later telling me the part would be sent to dealership by Wednesday of following week and that a call was also placed to dealership to inform them the part was for my Escape not the two Ford Escapes with same problem that were ahead of mine. By the following week on Wednesday my Ford Escape was repaired and I was able to drive home back to Illinois. To this day I am not sure if I have a replacement part that has fixed the problem or if Ford Motor Co. Sent me the same part that will again break down on me. I have kept track of all phone calls I made date time and who I spoke with and also the calls from Ford Motor Co. To me. Needless to say I am very disappointed with the whole matter and I am filing this complaint.

- Ofallon, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving on highway at 55 mph, the wrench light came on dashboard and the car started decelerating. Would not accelerate, had to pull over, turn car off, then back on, in order for car to accelerate again. Second incident seemed like car's power completely shut off and would not come back on again after a rough idling stop.

- Sewell , NJ, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving approximately 50 mph when gas pedal on 2011 Ford Escape V6 became unresponsive. Got vehicle to shoulder after almost crashing in traffic. Red wrench light on dashboard was on. Turned vehicle off then restarted and appeared to be ok. Drove home approx. 10 miles. Took to dealer who checked codes and found nothing wrong. Told us the only way to get the code was to have it towed in without a restart because computer does not store wrench light indicator codes. Restarting clears the code. Local Ford dealer was not helpful. Investigated this problem and found that was most likely a throttle body problem. There are many owners with the same issue. It is on the short list for a recall. Purchased an obd II sensor and plugged in while driving to get the code. Problem happened again with a fault code of P2111 - throttle actuator control system - stuck open.

- Trafford, PA, USA