2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at speed the Escape suddenly loses power. The engine remains running but the vehicle begins to slow and depressing the throttle has no effect. The only indication on the dash is a small wrench shaped light on the lower left side. Once the vehicle is stopped, I turn the engine off and restart. From the point the Escape runs fine. This problem started two weeks ago. It has occurred six times. 4 occurrences on the highway and speed and 2 occurrences on neighborhood streets while traveling in the 20 - 25 mph range.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving to the airport and car stalled, picture of a wrench display on the dash. Next case was about 10 days later, was driving local and car stalled 5 times before I made it. Both picture of the wrench and check engine light came on. Parked car until morning, stalled twice on the way to work then got it to the dealership to be fixed. Was told it was the throttle.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jul 052013

Escape 4-cyl

Engine power surge under normal driving conditions without increase pedal travel. Also engine power hesitates at times.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

I have been having this issue for many months where the car would not accelerate right when starting from a stopped position. It would shift very hard & jerk even harder from 1st/2nd & 2nd/3rd. I took it to the Ford dealership & they explained it was the transmission so I paid for a transmission flush even though it only had 32K miles. They also at this time resent the computer to my driving habits? the problem continued. Took it back to the shop last week twice & they believe that it was the throttle body but all computer checks showed the truck as fine. Yesterday while driving 45mph, it all of sudden shifted hard like it went into neutral. I had my foot on the gas pedal & there was no response. I did not lose power steering & was able to coast over to the side of the road. I at this time noticed the wrench light was on in the lower left hand corner of the dash. The service manager at Ford told me this would happen & that I needed to get the truck to them with the light on so that they could get the code they needed in order to file the claim with Ford & replace the throttle body. I was too far from the dealership to jerk down the road over 5 miles in nothing more than a creeper pace especially during rush hour. When I applied my foot to the gas pedal it was non responsive. I was told by the service manager that if I turned off the truck & restarted it the wrench light would go away & that it does not send an error code to the computer for them to reference. I had to turn it off, but not before taking pictures for my records. I tried to restart the truck & it struggled but finally turned over of which then it drove fine. Arrived at the dealership & they confirmed it was the throttle body but that the parts are on an indefinite back order. Now we wait. A complete inconvenience & ridiculous that Ford will not issue a recall especially when they know this is a problem.

- Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Jun 292013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted after a few minutes and operated as designed. The vehicle was scheduled to be inspected by a dealer. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 43,600.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jul 082013

Purchased a preowned Ford Escape in March 2013. Had approximately 28,000 miles. Drove fine until July 8 2013. About 1/2 mile from home, driving on residential road at approximately 30 mph, the Escape stalled and wrench light came on. Turned car off and restarted fine. Drove for approximately 1/4 mile and stalled again. Turned car off again and restarted, then drove approximately 1/4 mile home and parked in garage. Checked oil, and level was fine. Called local Ford dealer and let them know what the problem was. They suggested I drive it in so they can take a look at it. Told them I was uncomfortable driving it the 5 miles to the dealer. Called Ford roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer. Waiting to hear what the dealer has to say.

- Keene, NH, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

On wed July 3, I was backing it out of garage to take a trip to san antonio. I pulled out onto the street to leave when all of a sudden I lost all power. The check engine light came on along with a tool wrench. I looked in the manual and it said throttle problem. I turned it off and started it again and it drove perfect for half a block and lost power again. Finally I got it around the block and put it back in the garage where it sits, until I can find out if this is a Ford defect.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle continually has a decrease in power. After stepping on gas pedal starts to "chug" along slowly eventually speeds back up and engages to normal speed.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jun 292013

While merging into traffic engine shut down to limp home mode check engine light with P2111 & P2112 codes indicating a throttle body position error. Checked all connections at pedal, PCM, and throttle body test drive again same result. Cleaned throttle body with sensor safe cleaner with the same result. Impossible to drive in traffic continuously going into limp home. Extremely dangerous at speed as there is no indication when it may occur close calls with person following in traffic..

- Marbury, MD, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving home from work at about 35 mph when the car lost power. It stayed running and I turned on my flashers and coasted to the first turn. I turned off the main rd and parked, shut off the car, then started it back up and it worked fine the rest of the way home. A few days later it did it again so I called the local Ford garage, on a Saturday morning. The service man on duty told me " this time of year there are fuzzies from the trees flying around, the get stuck in your air filter and when you turn the car off and start it again the fuzzies get sucked in the engine and the car is fine. He said he knows this has happened and what I described happened to my car sounds like this. He said if it happens again to call back". I said "are you kidding me?". it happened again so I called back, got an answering machine and left a message. No one called me back, and the car stopped doing this. Two weeks later it lost power twice in one day, once on the interstate which was scary, then twice more on my 3 mile drive to work in the morning. I had my son look at the air filter, he said it looked fine and nothing should get through it and to take it to the garage. I took it to the Ford garage, they said it needs an electronic throttle body and will cost $420, that is the estimate. The car has been at the Ford garage for 6 days now. They don't have the part because it is on backorder. They did give me a loaner car at no cost, which I appreciate.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle went into stall while traveling off of exit ramp. Have read that this is being investigated and needs to be recalled! dangerous and felt unsafe with my child in vehicle! if this happened at a high speed on hwy, it could lead to a crash and injury or even death!

- Carencro, LA, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle would loose all power while traveling at highway speed. Would have to pull over turn engine off and back on to reset. Wrench light would come on but would reset after vehicle was turned off. Took to shop and needed a new throttle body.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Apr 282013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The first of 4 incidents occurred while driving on the belt parkway in brooklyn NY. I was driving at a speed of 65 mph in the left lane on a stretch of highway with no shoulder on the left side of the road when I lost all pedal power. I wasn't able to accelerate. The engine was running and all the electronics were working properly except for not being able to accelerate. The small icon of a wrench appeared on the dash. I managed to cross three lanes of heavy traffic to the right shoulder. I put the vehicle in park and stepped on the accelerator to rev the engine, nothing happened. It seemed like there was no gas getting to the engine. I then shut down the engine and checked the owners manual for the icon of the wrench. The description of the wrench icon states that a throttle control/powertrain fault has been detected and I should contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible. Upon contacting the dealer he indicated that they have been having a problem with the throttle body on my make and model and also stated that my warranty had expired and there was no recall issued for this problem. The cost was my responsibility. I proceeded to have them order me a new throttle body. The lead time would be 2-3 weeks for the new part. During that time the same problem has happened 3 more times, 2 of which were at a speed of 65 mph and 1 time starting off from a red light at a speed of less that 10 mph. After researching this problem on line I have found this to be a major issue and a recall for the throttle body should be issued and repairs made by Ford at no cost to the owners. I feel that I was put in a very dangerous life threatening position.

- Holmdel, NJ, USA

Jun 232013

Escape 6-cyl

It has happen four times, the first time I was driving at about 25-30mph, the second time I was driving about 60 mph, the third time about 25 mph, each of these times my Escape would lose power, the engine was missing really bad, and the gas pedal didn't do anything, you could press it all the way down, nothing happen, thankfully each of these times I was able to get out of traffic to the side of the road, stop, put the car in park, turn the car off, set for a few mins then start and everything was normal, the last time it happen it was pulling out of my driveway, I couldn't go 50 ft without it doing the same thing, lose power, the gas petal didn't do anything, and the engine was missing so bad it almost would die. My car is at the shop now, I am waiting on the cost to have my about 2 year old car fixed so I can drive it again. I have read 23 pages of complains on this site, more than half is the same issue I had with my car. I believe Ford needs to do a recall for this throttling issue and fix the problem, and stand behind their product, it seems there are alot of Ford vehicles with the same issue that is costing alot of money to have repaired.. thank you.

- Narrows, VA, USA

Jun 212013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph the wrench symbol and engine warning indicators illuminated; then the engine stalled. After several attempts to start the vehicle it began to function normally. The failure recurred within a few moments; however, the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Portwentworth, GA, USA

Jun 052013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle has stalled on me on 5 different times. Always during a turn at slow speeds. I have had to put the vehicle in neutral and restart it. The last time it happened, was on June 5th. There was a car behind me and I was able to avoid it hitting me. I reported this to my Ford dealership and they checked the vehicle out and could not find any problems. I also notice that at times when I am trying to accelerate that the car will kind of jerk or surge, almost like it's trying to get fuel to the engine.

- Bermuda Dunes, CA, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling the interstate, the engine suddenly dropped to approximately 600 RPM and subsequently down shifted to low gear. I found myself in the inside lane, during rush-hour traffic, decelerating from 70mph to 5mph with no place to go. I was lucky, but not popular. The check engine light (wrench) came on and I slowly found my way to the emergency lane. After turning off the engine and restarting, everything was ok. This happened another time with, pretty much, the same story. The Ford dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad/stuck throttle body. I've been waiting for them to fix the problem, but they do not have the necessary parts and apparently very little interest. Ford corporate says they will help with the cost, but will not return my calls, so I'm left to wonder about that.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Jun 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle began to stall at highway speed with no throttle response. Coasted vehicle to a stop and turned off the engine. Continued down the road as it stalled two more times to the nearest dealer. They scanned and gave us code P2111 tech said that we needed a throttle bottle and it was on a nationwide back order. Tech also said there were 3 other vehicles on the lot waiting for the same part. Tried to order part and they wanted cash up front, it should be covered under warranty.

- El Campo, TX, USA

Jun 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 60mph when my Ford Escape completely stalled and S service light came on. As I tried to move out of traffic I was nearly hit by multiple vehicles coming from both directions. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership assuming this would be covered under power train warranty. After explaining to the service department what had happened, before they looked at my vehicle, they knew exactly what it was. Apparently, the problem with the throttle body is so common they can't keep the parts in stock. This problem causes the vehicle to stall or surge forward, usually at rates of speed exceeding 40mph. I was informed that Ford does not consider this part of the power train. $401.04 later I had my vehicle back. As I was paying the service cashier informed me that this was the 12th that had fixed that week (it was only Wednesday) and to hold onto my receipt because it really should be recalled.

- Pensacola , FL, USA

Feb 152013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph the vehicle decelerated on its own. The contact stopped the vehicle on the emergency lane and was able to continue driving normally after restarting it. The wrench warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated a valve had to be replaced. After the vehicle was repaired the failure continued to occur. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA