2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

May 312013

Escape

I was driving up a hill when my engine shut off and car started lurching forward. The brakes slowed the car down but lurching continued. The car restarted okay but stalled several more times as I was driving it to the dealer. There were no warning lights on and I have always taken great care of the car. There were no odd noises or signs that something was wrong until the car stopped. I am thankful that I was on a neighborhood road and not a busy street or highway. Dealer says the issue is the electronic throttle body which is on national backorder and may take 6-8 weeks to repair. If something is on national backorder, does that mean this is happening to others as well? please investigate.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 172013

Escape 4-cyl

Engine stalls upon acceleration, have to pull over and turn the engine off and then do a restart. It is now at the dealership with a defective throttle body waiting on the part. I now understand it is being re-designed with no eta on manufacture or delivery to my dealer.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was accelerated to cross an intersection and engine decelled to an idle condition - this happened at speed also - very dangerous loss of power without notice - almost caused an accident. Was very intermittent to begin with - dealer attempted tshoot and repair but no codes found - next day after dealer attempt problem happened numerous times and the dealer determined a bad throttle body.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Feb 082012

Escape 4-cyl

Engine will start head down the road and all the sudden will lose pick up, push on the gas and nothing happens then all the sudden it will speed up, including this one that I have estimated the date and mileage Ford replaced the throttle body under warranty.....the second time this happened was on 02sep12 mileage was 39619 it did the same thing but left me on the side of the road and had to be towed(90$) to repair, Ford found the throttle body unable to maintain idle cost me almost 400$ to repair, that leads us up to today where I was going down the highway at about 60 miles an hour and all the sudden it cut out and had to cost out of heavy traffic after about 2-3 min the truck picked up and ran fine till I got home and called Ford and asked them what I need to do cause its doing the same thing it had the previous times.was instructed to get it to a service dept to have it checked, on the way to Ford during heavy traffic the car stalled in an intersection and thankfully the other driver was paying attention he was able to stop their could have def been a fatal injury if not but as I was told by Ford that I would also have to pay for this throttle body because it was out of warranty due to mileage 04jun13 58053 miles.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle would no longer accelerate and had to cruise into a parking lot. Vehicle was then towed to dealer. Was told it was a throttle assembly problem. The part is on national backorder and it has been three weeks with no fix. If the event had happened while pulling into traffic, instead of in the flow, it would have been much worse. Looking online I see this is an extremely common problem.

- Gainesville, FM, USA

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while he drove at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled several times without warning. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to the dealer. A diagnostic was performed which located the failure at the throttle body. The vehicle was not repaired and the dealer advised that the throttle body was on back order. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was failure 46,851.

- Memphis , TN, USA

Escape

While driving on I40 my vehicle lost the ability to accelerate. I coasted to the shoulder and the vehicle began to surge forward and stop while I attempted to put it in park. This happened twice more on this trip, after restarting the engine to rest the issue so I could drive at all. I have taken it to Ford three times for service for this. They rest code and tell me Ford is aware of the defect in the throttle body but won't fix it for free. I am in fact typing this complaint in the service waiting area. I have experienced surges forward while sitting in traffic and had all power drop out at interstate speeds. It's insane Ford hasn't recalled this part and repaired it. I hope me or my family don't have to be injured or killed for them to take care of this faulty part.

- Smyrna , TN, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down I-55 in St. Louis, my car lost power. I pulled to the shoulder without incident. The engine was still running but the throttle was inoperative. Turned the key off, waited a few seconds, and started the car. It ran fine, like rebooting a computer. This happened a couple of times before on side streets and it happened one more time before I got home on I-55. Went to the dealer with check engine light on. $98 for diagnosis, throttle body problem. Back order for over 30 days, so this must be a bigger problem. They cleaned the throttle body and fuel system, another $140, which they said would help until the part came in. Car just out of warranty 2700 miles. Kinda scary to lose power when your in traffic.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on interstate at 65mph and vehicle just no longer had any. Accelerator response I pressed repeatedly as vehicles were behind and to the left of me. No response I had to immediately cut hard right off interstate to side of road, vehicle was running rough and engine repair indicator came on still no accelerator response I put vehicle in park turned off ignition and restarted. Vehicle restarted will engine indicator still on but now had accelerator response. Brought to dealer diagnosed as defective throttle body, is on national back order because of failures and was told it is highly unusual for that part to go, especially will so few miles.

- Amsterdam, NY, USA

May 292013

Escape 6-cyl

My 2011 Ford Escape would not accelerate, I drove it to the dealership oxmoor Ford and was told my throttle body needed to be replaced and the part was on national back order. No eta as to when the part would arrive quoted $600. Spending $53 per day for a rental car. I googled throttle body saw where all the other complaints were posted thought I would add mine.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 082013

Escape

This vehicle has lost power unexpectedly twice in the last month while either decelerating from freeway speeds (first time) and while cruising at 65 mph (second time). In both instances the wrench lite came on and the RPM level dropped to below 900 RPM and was erratic. Luckily, I was able to put on my hazard flashers and pull to the side of the road in both cases. Both times, I shut the car off and it restarted resuming normal performance. This unpredictable loss of power can become a serious hazard in a freeway full of drivers. I see a growing number of Escape drivers experiencing the same thing, so it appears as though a trend is happening focusing on suspect throttle body units. I am sure Ford will do something about this, but wonder how bad it needs to get before they do.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

May 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was idling at a stand-still on the highway (or very close to a stand-still - may have been rolling at approx. 5 miles per hour) as traffic came to a stop due to a lane merge ahead. When traffic started to slowly move forward again, I took my foot off the brake and stepped on the gas pedal to accelerate forward but the car did not move. I tried stepping on the gas pedal once more and again the car would not move forward. Since the car was still in drive gear, I managed to get the car to roll into the shoulder of the road on its own to get out of the way of traffic. Car started to buck and vibrate when I tried using the gas pedal again to accelerate forward in the shoulder and would still not move forward. I noticed then that the orange wrench icon was lit up on the dash. I then put the car in park and turned the engine off as I felt it was no longer safe to drive. Had to call a tow truck to tow the vehicle to the dealership. Dealership diagnosed the problem as an issue with the throttle body and said it was not covered under warranty as it was an electronic/external part. Had bought the car brand new in Dec 2010. I was disappointed that the car was less than 2 1/2 years old and had a major problem that could have led to a dangerous situation. I was moving slowly in a construction zone during holiday traffic when the incident occurred, and I was lucky that I was not in a busy intersection or traveling at a high rate of speed when I lost acceleration due to the throttle body problem.

- Dover, DE, USA

May 202013

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle jerked and decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician advised that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Raymond, MS, USA

May 182013

Escape 6-cyl

First incident: Was driving on express way feeder road attempting to accelerate to enter xway ramp when car suddenly began to quickly decelerate. Applying gas yielded no result. Pulled to side of road and essentially coasted into a parking lot. Turned off engine. Restarted car after a few minutes and problem was gone. Second incident: One day later, was driving on a residential street when again the car suddenly began to rapidly decelerate. Applying accelerated yielded no results. Coasted to stop at side of road. Turned off engine. Was again able to restart car and problem was gone.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was being driven between 25 and 40 mph and complete loss of drive power/speed occurred (vehicle abruptly slows to ~4 mph). Immediate response to get vehicle to side of road to avoid a collision. This has occurred 4 times in the past 3 weeks (two incidents on 5/19/13). Vehicle will be taken to dealer for inspection/repair week of 5/19/13. Engine stays running at idle, but very rough when in drive. If placed in neutral, engine runs, but will not rev up with gas pedal. No throttle response when issue occurs. After key off and 30 second wait and restart, vehicle performs as intended. No mil lights on dashboard. This is a serious issue.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

May 152013

Escape 6-cyl

My Escape suddenly lost power while I was driving. The engine was still running, but pressing the accelerator got no response. I coasted to the side of the road and shut the engine off. When I restarted, the engine ran normally again. This is the second time this has happened. Because I was in traffic, the second incident was quite dangerous. The mechanic says the problem is with the throttle body and that I should not drive until he can get a replacement part. He says the problem is so widespread that the parts are hard to get.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 022013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving, my vehicle with no warning lost power. The engine was still running, but roughly. I could press the accelerator, but it no longer caused the vehicle to accelerate. After waiting for help to arrive, I cut the vehicle off and then tried to restart. The vehicle started fine. I took it to a mechanic who thought the throttle box may be gunked up. I paid to have it cleaned out and for a gas additive to decrease the likelihood that it would happen again. A couple of days later, my Escape stalled again in the same way and with the same results. It has happened 3 times now since May 2nd. I realize there is an investigation into the failure of the throttle body in Ford Escapes including the 2011 model. What is described in the throttle body failure situations is exactly what I am experiencing with my vehicle. I have been fortunate to be in curb lanes and able to maneuver safely off the road each of the times this has happened. If I happen to be in a center highway lane when it happens, I may not be fortunate enough to have an opportunity to restart my vehicle safely.

- Monroe, NC, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the car in Florida going approximately 45 mph. The red light with a wrench came on and the car would not accelerate. She finally got pulled over to the side of the highway and called the dealership in orlando. They told her it could be a throttle body problem or it could just be trying to reset. They suggested she turn everything off (which she already had) and restart in a few minutes. She restarted and everything seemed fine. About a week later, the same thing happened, only worse, and she took the car in to the dealership. It seemed to happen as she was turning a corner. She had to restart the car 3 or 4 times on the way to the dealership. They ran a diagnostic test and said the throttle body needed to be replaced. So far, it's been a week and it is still not fixed because they cannot find the part. She has had to rent a car until the Escape is fixed. Another expense! evidently, 45,000 of these throttle bodies have been replaced and they are using the parts up as fast as they can make them. How safe can this be"?"!!! we plan to have it repaired, but we should not have to pay for this Ford problem.

- Manitou, KY, USA

Apr 272013

Escape 6-cyl

On 27 April 2013 at approximately 0930, I was driving my 2011 Ford Escape at 70mph on I-475 on my way from macon, ga to atlanta, ga when I lost all power and control of my gas pedal/throttle body system. I felt a jerking motion of the vehicle, it began to decelerate, and I noticed the wrench icon light was illuminated on the dash. I did not lose power to the rest of my vehicle, only the ability of the gas pedal to accelerate. I was able to coast across a lane of traffic and come to a stop on the side of the interstate. After turning off the car, I was able to restart it, the warning light turned off, and I once again had power to the gas pedal. After driving approximately 10 more miles, the exact same problem happened again. I was then able to get my vehicle to the Ford dealership, who told me I had a faulty throttle body assembly. They said the throttle was sticking in the closed position and had to be replaced. With so many vehicles having this same problem, I feel this is a major safety concern. I am extremely lucky the interstate was not busy at the time my vehicle stalled twice and my family was not seriously injured or killed from a rear-end collison.

- Warner Robins , GA, USA

Apr 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling on the highway at 70 mph when the vehicle suddenly just began slowing down. The wrench warning light came on but did not make a noise to indicate a problem. The gas pedal would not work. I was able to safely veer off to the shoulder because, luckily, I was in the slow lane.

- Arlington, TX, USA