2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jul 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate on afternoon 31jul13, traveling approximately 60 mph with foot on the accelerator when the car began to completely decelerate. RPM went to zero and with foot on the gas pedal no acceleration was possible. Was able to get to the side of the road with emergency blinker lights on. Turned car off. When restarting car, car had issues restarting. Drove for another 7 miles with no warning light or issue. The next morning, 1aug13, while traveling on interstate at about 60mph again, after about 20 min of interstate driving the exact same thing happened again. Was able to then drive slowly to the dealership. Dealership indicated it was a faulty throttle valve that has been very common with these models.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 302013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine cut out while driving at about 55mph and 'check engine' light lit up on the dashboard. I pulled over to side of road and waited about ten minutes before re-starting vehicle. The vehicle started ok but 'check engine' light stayed on. I took it to service station and they ran diagnostic and got code P2111 - throttle actuator stuck open. I made repair appointment at Ford dealer for next day. While driving home from work the engine stalled at a traffic light but re-started ok.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving pa turnpike at 10:00 pm 7/19/2013 @ 65 mph sb. Heard thump, wrench lite came on, then engine lite. No power on acceleration. Coasted to side of road. Called aaa. Couldn't start car kept sputtering. Waited for 1 1/2 hours no aaa. Tried to start car. Started. Continued on journey. Next day took to dealer. Got an appointment for 7/23/2013 @ 2pm. Drove car on mon. 7/22/2013. Going 35 mph. Same thing. Thump, wrench lite, engine lite.no power. Coasted to off ramp. Took to dealer on 7/23/2013 for diagnostic.failed throttle body assy. Removed and replaced throttle body and reprogrammed the PCM and retested. Cost..$500.68...out of warranty.

- Dupont, PA, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was taking her mother home on the 18th of July when the Escape started to hesitate and surge going up a hill. When she pressed on the gas pedal there was no response from the engine.the powertrain and engine lights came on so she called me immediately. She was afraid to leave it running so she shut it down. What made things worse was the fact that it was 97 degrees out that day and she had her mother with her who is handicapped. After the engine cooled a bit, I was able to drive it the rest of the way to her mother's house. After dropping her off, the vehicle broke down twice on the way to the repair facility. It turned out to be a problem with the throttle body. As a former mechanic and now a parts person I can say with confidence that this is definitely a safety issue.

- Barboursville, VA, USA

Jul 102012

Escape 6-cyl

Small surges just after stops. Total loss of power at highway speeds. July 2012 showed the check engine light, and had to coast to side of the road, gas pedal totally dead, engine and car still running. Turn off and restart and all check engine lights go away and car acts normally. Dealership found no codes. June 2013 again total loss of power at highway speeds, this time powertrain light comes on, and the car has to coast to the side of the road, gas pedal totally dead, engine and car still running. Turn off and restart and all powertrain lights go away and car acts normally. This loss of power has happened 15-20 times to date from July 2012 to July 2013.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

May 232013

Escape

On May 23rd we were traveling on an interstate at about 65mph and suddenly the car lost acceleration, we were able to pull over to side of road and luckily able to avoid other cars. We turned off engine and it started again but was very apprehensive. The car did ok until July 20th when we stopped at a light and when we started the acceleration was gone again, we were able to get to side of road but it took 3 tries to get it started again. We tried to get home before it happened again but about 2 miles from our home it died again. We were on a 2 lane road but was able to pull into someone's driveway and it took several times to get it started and we tried to get back on road but it died again. After a couple more tries it started and we were able to make it home. We had to call a tow truck to take it to the dealer because we were afraid it would happen again and could have had an accident. We have only had the car for 2 yrs and it only has around 38000 miles.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape has stalled 11 times in the past five days. It has happened at various speeds, ranging from 20 mph to 65 mph. The first 8 times the vehicle stalled (as if out of gear), the "wrench" light came on the dash, and I was able to coast to the side of the road. As I came to a final stop each time, the vehicle would jerk and then I was finally able to put the car in park. I turned the vehicle off and attempted to restart. The vehicle had trouble starting but finally came back on. Again, the same description above happened all 8 times. These incidents caused some very dangerous situations, one where the vehicle stalled as I was crossing the street to turn left and it stalled in the middle of the road and another time when it stalled going 65 mph down the interstate with cars flying up behind me.I did not immediately take the vehicle in to be checked because I thought I just had a bad batch of gasoline. The last 3 times the incident happened (car stalled and the gas pedal would not work) but the "check engine" light came on and stayed on. I took the vehicle to the dealership this morning and was told that I need a new throttle body and it is not covered under warranty. I am terrified to drive this vehicle again and become anxious at every busy intersection wondering if it will stall out again. I have read many consumer complaints about this same issue and ask that Ford do a recall on this part before a fatality occurs.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

When accelerating the car stalls for no apparent reason. I was driving down a busy highway in the left lane, when I accelerated the made a couple of jerks, thru the wrench sign on the dash and lost all power. This has happened to me 3 times, once from a dead stop turning left across traffic and twice while accelerating at an average speed on the highway there was a total loss of propulsion of the car and all you can do is hope and pray you can coast to safety. It is just a matter of time before someone is killed on a busy interstate when the throttle goes out. Ford replaced my throttle yesterday for $328 and never said a word about this being an issue with this car! this absolutely needs to be looked at and recalled!

- Monroe, GA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at about 60 mph for about 50 miles. The car suddenly lost power and went into limp mode. The small tool light came on the dash indicating the throttle. I pulled off the highway and stopped. After a few minutes, I restarted the car, which seemed fine. I drove for about 1/2 an hour, and it did the same thing again. This time it would not go more then 20 mph. I had the car towed to the closest Ford dealership. They said the code showed that the accelerator stuck. They reset the code and said they found nothing else wrong. When I got home, I called the dealership I have the car serviced at. They said it was the throttle body assembly and its a common problem. Apparently I have to have it happen again for a repair or replacement to be done and it has to be towed to that particular dealership. A recall would be good, as this is very dangerous and I don't want to have it happen again so that I can get it repaired.

- University Place, WA, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving and the vehicle stalled. I turned the engine off and restarted it drove fine almost a week later it happened again maybe 3 miles from my home I turned engine off and restarted drove about 1 mile and it done it again and picture of a wrench came on instrument panel I drove about 1 mile again and stalled again. I started vehicle again and the check engine light was on and I made it to my driveway. Had vehicle towed to Ford dealership and the called and said it is the electronic throttle body and would be a few days because they have to order the part and it will be $349. I was surfing the web to see what the part was when I say this page about others having the same problem.

- Eastaboga, AL, USA

Jul 142013

Escape

My husband was driving with two young children and myself as passengers when, without warning the car went into limp mode. We had it towed to a mechanic who could not find any problem. I drove it about two miles and it, again, went into limp mode......engine running but no power. We had it towed to the dealership. They have had it over a week and say that they have driven it and cannot find anything wrong with it. They can not fix anything unless it shows up on the computer. There is only 150 miles left while it is under warranty (36,000 miles). I will not drive it because it is unsafe. We are at a stalemate and I am out transportation. Ford needs to fix this.

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

My car has "missed" or "skipped" a couple of times in the past few weeks. Yesterday, it quit pulling. The motor was still running, but would not accelerate. The engine light and the wrench light came on. When I was able to pull over, while coasting, I turned off the ignition - restarted the car, and drove another 2 miles, and it happened again. I restarted the car, drove another couple of miles, and it did it again. I was able to get my car home, which was only 2 miles from where I stopped the last time. I understand it's a problem with the throttle body - an ongoing problem with Ford Escape. My Escape will go to the dealership tomorrow.

- Hayesville, NC, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power - was running but could not accelerate. Turned car off and restarted and it was operating correctly. Called dealership service to inquire if they know what might have happened. They advised they had never heard of that before. Incident occurred 2 additional times over the next few months. Last time vehicle was out of warranty. Took to dealership and we were advised car out of warranty. We insisted there was a problem and it was dangerous to operate. They would not tow so we drove vehicle to dealership and they replaced throttle body assembly. We were only charged a $75 deductible. Vehicle has not been operated enough to determine if problem is fixed.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 082013

Escape

Driving the truck suddenly would not accelerate and just shut off. I was able to start and coast over out of traffic.truck would start again but would not accelerate no more then 5-10mph and shut off.vehicle was towed to southgate Ford I was put in a dangerous position on the road.this could have been fatal if I was on the freeway. On top of all of the same complains of the same thing the dealership says I have to pay for work & parts truck pass my warranty limit and would not honor my Ford employee discount for parts or aarp discount to add insult to injury plus ican purchase online the parts from Ford.southgate wants to charge me $476.54 for parts I can order from Ford the parts myself for $262.09 online. What a shame checkin the oasis results for my vehicle I am appauled this is not on the recall list. How many people have to be killed first befoe this is addressed.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

On wed July 3, I was backing it out of garage to take a trip to san antonio. I pulled out onto the street to leave when all of a sudden I lost all power. The check engine light came on along with a tool wrench. I looked in the manual and it said throttle problem. I turned it off and started it again and it drove perfect for half a block and lost power again. Finally I got it around the block and put it back in the garage where it sits, until I can find out if this is a Ford defect.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 60 mph with the cruise control on. Vehicle lost power like you had kicked the cruise off. Pushed on the accelerator but nothing happened. Shut vehicle off and restarted and it worked fine. Went about a mile down the road and it did it again. Had it towed to a Ford dealership and they said it was the throttle body which they said would cost $300 plus the cost for towing. This was dangerous because I could have been hit from behind when it suddenly decelerated.

- Chillicothe, MO, USA

Jun 292013

Escape

While merging into traffic engine shut down to limp home mode check engine light with P2111 & P2112 codes indicating a throttle body position error. Checked all connections at pedal, PCM, and throttle body test drive again same result. Cleaned throttle body with sensor safe cleaner with the same result. Impossible to drive in traffic continuously going into limp home. Extremely dangerous at speed as there is no indication when it may occur close calls with person following in traffic..

- Marbury, MD, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 6-cyl

I am a single female and keep my vehicle maintenance up to date. I do not have anyone to call on to help in times of car trouble. The engine would lose power and start to 'coast' to a stop at varying speeds, including on an interstate. I had to pull the car over, turn it off, and restart. The restart was always troublesome. Once the dealership looked at the car, I was told I would have to wait at least 2 weeks for a replacement part. I had to deal with this issue for 2 weeks, putting myself and any passenger in danger of being involved in and causing a major car accident. I called the dealer 2 weeks later; the dealer did not contact me. I picked up the part and had it installed. I also purchased a cabin air filter in order to have that replaced at the same time. To my surprise, the car did not even have a cabin air filter installed when I purchased the new vehicle. I have never had that filter replaced. I have severe allergies and currently take 2 shots. I was not happy to discover the air entering my car was helping to contribute to my problems with my allergies. I will not purchase another Ford. Their customer service does not promote repeat customers. Ford does not stand behind their vehicles and are not concerned with the safety of their customers.

- Clover, SC, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle went into limp-home mode while under light acceleration. Had to be towed to dealership. Dealer diagnosed as throttle body failure.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jun 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 60mph when my Ford Escape completely stalled and S service light came on. As I tried to move out of traffic I was nearly hit by multiple vehicles coming from both directions. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership assuming this would be covered under power train warranty. After explaining to the service department what had happened, before they looked at my vehicle, they knew exactly what it was. Apparently, the problem with the throttle body is so common they can't keep the parts in stock. This problem causes the vehicle to stall or surge forward, usually at rates of speed exceeding 40mph. I was informed that Ford does not consider this part of the power train. $401.04 later I had my vehicle back. As I was paying the service cashier informed me that this was the 12th that had fixed that week (it was only Wednesday) and to hold onto my receipt because it really should be recalled.

- Pensacola , FL, USA