2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Jul 102012

Escape 6-cyl

Small surges just after stops. Total loss of power at highway speeds. July 2012 showed the check engine light, and had to coast to side of the road, gas pedal totally dead, engine and car still running. Turn off and restart and all check engine lights go away and car acts normally. Dealership found no codes. June 2013 again total loss of power at highway speeds, this time powertrain light comes on, and the car has to coast to the side of the road, gas pedal totally dead, engine and car still running. Turn off and restart and all powertrain lights go away and car acts normally. This loss of power has happened 15-20 times to date from July 2012 to July 2013.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

May 232013

Escape

On May 23rd we were traveling on an interstate at about 65mph and suddenly the car lost acceleration, we were able to pull over to side of road and luckily able to avoid other cars. We turned off engine and it started again but was very apprehensive. The car did ok until July 20th when we stopped at a light and when we started the acceleration was gone again, we were able to get to side of road but it took 3 tries to get it started again. We tried to get home before it happened again but about 2 miles from our home it died again. We were on a 2 lane road but was able to pull into someone's driveway and it took several times to get it started and we tried to get back on road but it died again. After a couple more tries it started and we were able to make it home. We had to call a tow truck to take it to the dealer because we were afraid it would happen again and could have had an accident. We have only had the car for 2 yrs and it only has around 38000 miles.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape has stalled 11 times in the past five days. It has happened at various speeds, ranging from 20 mph to 65 mph. The first 8 times the vehicle stalled (as if out of gear), the "wrench" light came on the dash, and I was able to coast to the side of the road. As I came to a final stop each time, the vehicle would jerk and then I was finally able to put the car in park. I turned the vehicle off and attempted to restart. The vehicle had trouble starting but finally came back on. Again, the same description above happened all 8 times. These incidents caused some very dangerous situations, one where the vehicle stalled as I was crossing the street to turn left and it stalled in the middle of the road and another time when it stalled going 65 mph down the interstate with cars flying up behind me.I did not immediately take the vehicle in to be checked because I thought I just had a bad batch of gasoline. The last 3 times the incident happened (car stalled and the gas pedal would not work) but the "check engine" light came on and stayed on. I took the vehicle to the dealership this morning and was told that I need a new throttle body and it is not covered under warranty. I am terrified to drive this vehicle again and become anxious at every busy intersection wondering if it will stall out again. I have read many consumer complaints about this same issue and ask that Ford do a recall on this part before a fatality occurs.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jul 182013

Escape 6-cyl

When accelerating the car stalls for no apparent reason. I was driving down a busy highway in the left lane, when I accelerated the made a couple of jerks, thru the wrench sign on the dash and lost all power. This has happened to me 3 times, once from a dead stop turning left across traffic and twice while accelerating at an average speed on the highway there was a total loss of propulsion of the car and all you can do is hope and pray you can coast to safety. It is just a matter of time before someone is killed on a busy interstate when the throttle goes out. Ford replaced my throttle yesterday for $328 and never said a word about this being an issue with this car! this absolutely needs to be looked at and recalled!

- Monroe, GA, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at about 60 mph for about 50 miles. The car suddenly lost power and went into limp mode. The small tool light came on the dash indicating the throttle. I pulled off the highway and stopped. After a few minutes, I restarted the car, which seemed fine. I drove for about 1/2 an hour, and it did the same thing again. This time it would not go more then 20 mph. I had the car towed to the closest Ford dealership. They said the code showed that the accelerator stuck. They reset the code and said they found nothing else wrong. When I got home, I called the dealership I have the car serviced at. They said it was the throttle body assembly and its a common problem. Apparently I have to have it happen again for a repair or replacement to be done and it has to be towed to that particular dealership. A recall would be good, as this is very dangerous and I don't want to have it happen again so that I can get it repaired.

- University Place, WA, USA

Jul 172013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving and the vehicle stalled. I turned the engine off and restarted it drove fine almost a week later it happened again maybe 3 miles from my home I turned engine off and restarted drove about 1 mile and it done it again and picture of a wrench came on instrument panel I drove about 1 mile again and stalled again. I started vehicle again and the check engine light was on and I made it to my driveway. Had vehicle towed to Ford dealership and the called and said it is the electronic throttle body and would be a few days because they have to order the part and it will be $349. I was surfing the web to see what the part was when I say this page about others having the same problem.

- Eastaboga, AL, USA

Jul 142013

Escape

My husband was driving with two young children and myself as passengers when, without warning the car went into limp mode. We had it towed to a mechanic who could not find any problem. I drove it about two miles and it, again, went into limp mode......engine running but no power. We had it towed to the dealership. They have had it over a week and say that they have driven it and cannot find anything wrong with it. They can not fix anything unless it shows up on the computer. There is only 150 miles left while it is under warranty (36,000 miles). I will not drive it because it is unsafe. We are at a stalemate and I am out transportation. Ford needs to fix this.

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

My car has "missed" or "skipped" a couple of times in the past few weeks. Yesterday, it quit pulling. The motor was still running, but would not accelerate. The engine light and the wrench light came on. When I was able to pull over, while coasting, I turned off the ignition - restarted the car, and drove another 2 miles, and it happened again. I restarted the car, drove another couple of miles, and it did it again. I was able to get my car home, which was only 2 miles from where I stopped the last time. I understand it's a problem with the throttle body - an ongoing problem with Ford Escape. My Escape will go to the dealership tomorrow.

- Hayesville, NC, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power - was running but could not accelerate. Turned car off and restarted and it was operating correctly. Called dealership service to inquire if they know what might have happened. They advised they had never heard of that before. Incident occurred 2 additional times over the next few months. Last time vehicle was out of warranty. Took to dealership and we were advised car out of warranty. We insisted there was a problem and it was dangerous to operate. They would not tow so we drove vehicle to dealership and they replaced throttle body assembly. We were only charged a $75 deductible. Vehicle has not been operated enough to determine if problem is fixed.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 082013

Escape

Driving the truck suddenly would not accelerate and just shut off. I was able to start and coast over out of traffic.truck would start again but would not accelerate no more then 5-10mph and shut off.vehicle was towed to southgate Ford I was put in a dangerous position on the road.this could have been fatal if I was on the freeway. On top of all of the same complains of the same thing the dealership says I have to pay for work & parts truck pass my warranty limit and would not honor my Ford employee discount for parts or aarp discount to add insult to injury plus ican purchase online the parts from Ford.southgate wants to charge me $476.54 for parts I can order from Ford the parts myself for $262.09 online. What a shame checkin the oasis results for my vehicle I am appauled this is not on the recall list. How many people have to be killed first befoe this is addressed.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

On wed July 3, I was backing it out of garage to take a trip to san antonio. I pulled out onto the street to leave when all of a sudden I lost all power. The check engine light came on along with a tool wrench. I looked in the manual and it said throttle problem. I turned it off and started it again and it drove perfect for half a block and lost power again. Finally I got it around the block and put it back in the garage where it sits, until I can find out if this is a Ford defect.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway at 60 mph with the cruise control on. Vehicle lost power like you had kicked the cruise off. Pushed on the accelerator but nothing happened. Shut vehicle off and restarted and it worked fine. Went about a mile down the road and it did it again. Had it towed to a Ford dealership and they said it was the throttle body which they said would cost $300 plus the cost for towing. This was dangerous because I could have been hit from behind when it suddenly decelerated.

- Chillicothe, MO, USA

Jun 292013

Escape

While merging into traffic engine shut down to limp home mode check engine light with P2111 & P2112 codes indicating a throttle body position error. Checked all connections at pedal, PCM, and throttle body test drive again same result. Cleaned throttle body with sensor safe cleaner with the same result. Impossible to drive in traffic continuously going into limp home. Extremely dangerous at speed as there is no indication when it may occur close calls with person following in traffic..

- Marbury, MD, USA

Jun 082013

Escape 6-cyl

I am a single female and keep my vehicle maintenance up to date. I do not have anyone to call on to help in times of car trouble. The engine would lose power and start to 'coast' to a stop at varying speeds, including on an interstate. I had to pull the car over, turn it off, and restart. The restart was always troublesome. Once the dealership looked at the car, I was told I would have to wait at least 2 weeks for a replacement part. I had to deal with this issue for 2 weeks, putting myself and any passenger in danger of being involved in and causing a major car accident. I called the dealer 2 weeks later; the dealer did not contact me. I picked up the part and had it installed. I also purchased a cabin air filter in order to have that replaced at the same time. To my surprise, the car did not even have a cabin air filter installed when I purchased the new vehicle. I have never had that filter replaced. I have severe allergies and currently take 2 shots. I was not happy to discover the air entering my car was helping to contribute to my problems with my allergies. I will not purchase another Ford. Their customer service does not promote repeat customers. Ford does not stand behind their vehicles and are not concerned with the safety of their customers.

- Clover, SC, USA

Jun 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle went into limp-home mode while under light acceleration. Had to be towed to dealership. Dealer diagnosed as throttle body failure.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jun 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 60mph when my Ford Escape completely stalled and S service light came on. As I tried to move out of traffic I was nearly hit by multiple vehicles coming from both directions. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership assuming this would be covered under power train warranty. After explaining to the service department what had happened, before they looked at my vehicle, they knew exactly what it was. Apparently, the problem with the throttle body is so common they can't keep the parts in stock. This problem causes the vehicle to stall or surge forward, usually at rates of speed exceeding 40mph. I was informed that Ford does not consider this part of the power train. $401.04 later I had my vehicle back. As I was paying the service cashier informed me that this was the 12th that had fixed that week (it was only Wednesday) and to hold onto my receipt because it really should be recalled.

- Pensacola , FL, USA

Jun 182013

Escape

I was making a left turn from a road with a 45 mph limit. I just initiated the turn when it felt like I lost all power & was barely coasting. I waited 'til the road was clear to turn, but now there were 2 cars bearing down on me sounding their horns & with squealing tires as they attempted to avoid hitting me. I barely made it out of the intersection. At what felt like one mph, I drove onto the shoulder, turned off the car & gathered my wits as I was terrified. Turned the car back on & it was the same, but noticed a wrench on the display. Turned my car off & called my mechanic for a tow. While waiting, tried turning the car on again & it worked. Drove to the mechanic & he said it was a throttle body assembly problem, but no code had been set in the computer. He called schaumburg Ford & they said unless a code was set, it was not covered by warranty. I would have to drive the car 'til it failed again & set the code--like driving a time bomb! the next day I went to hopkins Ford where I bought the car 6/30/12 & they said the throttle body assembly failed the test, so it would be covered by warranty, but that it would be at least July before they could get the part because so many have failed & are on order. I would have to drive the car 'til then. Later that day they contacted me & said Ford advised this would not be covered by warranty & the service person estimated the repair at over $500. With this many failed throttle body assemblies, this sounds like a recall item. Sure hope I don't get killed or kill somebody while I wait for the part.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Jun 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the expressway crg G5 at 45mph the engine stalled, with no more power supplied to the car and it rolled to a full stop. The electronic throttle did not operate to accelerate or drive the car any more. The vehicle had to be towed away. The check-engine light and 'wrench' light are on, the associated dtc code is P2112.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work on rt. 80 in NJ at about 70 mph in the fast lane when all of a sudden there was no power. I would hit the gas and nothing. Fortunately, my steering and braking was not affected and I was able to coast to the shoulder and turn the truck off. Before that, I noticed the wrench light was lit on the dashboard. I sat for a minute while I looked in my owner's manual to see what the wrench light was for and it said throttle. I turned it back on and after a brief hesitation, it turned over. I pulsed the gas to make sure it was working, then slowly merged back onto the highway. I called my dealership to tell them what happened and they were very nice and asked me to bring it in asap. Since I was almost at work, I said I'd call him back and went to the Ford dealership near my office. There I was told this was a "known issue" and even if it was what he "thought" it was, he was nasty and said "there aren't any parts available anyway..." I asked him if the truck was safe to drive and he hesitated and said "yeah...it should be and that it is a "sporadic" issue." I left that dealership and drove to my office. I called my local dealership back and told them this. They said to bring it in the next day (Saturday) and they would take care of me. This dealership (magarino in sussex, NJ) is amazing! they are helpful, truly care about their customers and made sure that my truck was safe before I left. Even though I didn't have an appointment, they still made the time to get me in! they did have the part in stock, ran all the necessary tests, replaced the part and reprogrammed the computer so that everything would be ok. $400 later (part not under warranty), I was heading home. I hope this helps the possible recall investigation so that no one else has to go through the terrifying and hopeless feeling that I had this past Friday.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

When traveling on highway, vehicle suddenly goes into a limp mode and the "wrench" warning light comes on. Vehicle is able to travel perhaps 30 seconds to one minute further unable to accelerate and seemed to be forced deceleration. I pulled over and turned the car off. I turned the car back on after a few seconds and the warning light was no longer illuminated and I was able to proceed to my destination. Per manual, the "wrench" warning light is for throttle/power train and illuminates when a power train fault has been detected. Have appointment with dealer service in two days.

- Houston, TX, USA