CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 13)

Apr 012013

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the engine failed with the illumination of the check engine light. In addition, the information screen center advised that the engine needed service and that the vehicle surged and stalled simultaneously. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed; which located the failure at the map sensor. The map sensor was replaced several times however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,558 and the current mileage was 5,769.

- Harrisburg , PA, USA

Jun 222013

Escape 4-cyl

My car has overheated twice after the recall fix. My coolant was violently boiling over. My transmission is also grossly shifting incorrectly. I almost got hit by another car when I was trying to merge onto the freeway since it wasn't going to the next gear. The transmission redlined and then shifted. I checked my obt and I'm not getting any codes for these problems. I'm not sure what to do anymore since anytime I've brought my car in they haven't found any issues. I've brought my car in several times about the engine and transmission and no issues have been found. I drive through the santa cruz mountains every week and I'm afraid one day my engine will catch on fire (hilly roads and low speeds cause the engine to run hot). It would be disastrous for the state of California if a wildfire was started due to this car.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Apr 232013

Escape

Had regular oil change on 4/15/13 and about a week after. While coming to a stopped the vehicle just stalled without warning. Had to come to come to complete stop to put car in park and restart. Ran vehicle health report--nl. Went to dealer who did oil change and said they never heard of this car doing it. If happened again call roadside. 05/29/13 at 545pm car stalled again no warning. Called crown Ford set up appt for mon. 06/10. 6/7/13 558am car again stalled at about 35 mph no warning had to put in neutral apply brake to restart since I was on road with no shoulder and mid curve. Keep appt for mon. At about 423pm that day started car and engine fault noted on start tried to drive out of parking garage. Car was missing and barely moving. Transmission made loud clunk noise. Coasted car down parking garage so tow truck would be able to access it. Towed to crown Ford. Offered vehicle health report I ran stating it was powertrain issue. They declined needed it. Checked and replace map sensor. Picked up on 6/11/13 and 06/12/13 stalled again early in the morning about 600am and then I was advised to bring back to dealer. Stalled again on way to dealer approximately 1130 am. Advised service dealer they ran diagnostic for the next week which all came back normal. Service manager drove on 06/17 and stated problem reproduced and would replace throttle body.this was done and I picked up on 06/21. 06/23 at approximately 204 pm car stalled again...restarted after putting in neutral unable to come to a stop vehicles behind us...restarted when restarted engine missing again when pushed gas the transmission seemed to make a clunk noise and stalled again.the vehicle without notice stalls and is a great safety issue and after last stall the RPM seems to rev up some.this is a major defect and life threatening defect. Vehicle randomly stalls & now revs rpms.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Apr 172013

Escape 4-cyl

In April, while proceeding through an intersection, the vehicle lost all power and stalled out in the middle of the road. I was able to quickly restart the vehicle. Once the vehicle was restarted and engaged into drive, it seemed to get a surge of power, accelerating at a faster speed than normal. On 6/16/2013, I was driving my vehicle to the store. During the trip, it felt like the vehicle was lagging, as if I was driving with the parking brake on. I verified that the parking brake was not on, and the vehicle was in drive (not the "S'" manual shift position). On the way home (approximately 45 minutes later), while pulling away from a stop sign, the engine lost all power, stalling the vehicle. I was going downhill, so I was able to navigate to the side of the road. The vehicle was difficult to start. The vehicle usually starts immediately with the push button start, but this time it did not, I had to hold the push button down for approximately 5 to 7 seconds before the vehicle started. While driving home after this, it again felt like the vehicle was lagging, or as if the brake was on while I was driving.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Dec 032012

Escape

Car was recalled in December with 786 miles on it due to recall notice 12S41 and was kept in the shop for repair from December 3rd, 2012 to December 20th, 2012. While getting an oil change on May 17th, 2013 it was discovered that the engine has an oil leak as well as the stereo buttons working intermittently. The car is now being brought in today for an unknown time of repair. The car was brand new when purchased on November 24th, 2012 and only had 6,428 miles at the time the recent oil leak and stereo malfunction was discovered.

- Marina Del Ray , CA, USA

May 222013

Escape 4-cyl Diesel

Was driving doing 40mph when out of no where I received a message instructing me to immediately pull vehicle over and shut down due to engine overheating. Never received a "low coolant" light, just a sudden warning to pull over. Had to be towed from the incident. Luckily no one was injured and there were no accidents as it was a two lane, one way, street with no shoulders. Opened the hood and I had absolutely no engine coolant. Also noticed that the engine was in fact very hot. I am concerned that this has caused engine damage on my brand new vehicle.

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 022013

Escape 4-cyl

I just leased a new car, a 2013 Ford Escape with a 2.0 L ecoboost engine. I had only filled the tank once before I noticed serious problems; whenever I came to a stop, the Escape would shudder and stall or simply turn off. It happened on multiple occasions daily for about a week before I could take it to the shop. As a surgeon, I typically get off much later than the Ford dealership was open. They have taken it for repair, but it was pretty scary because it would shake and rattle when accelerating sometimes and I was concerned it might stall mid intersection. Luckily it only stalled when I had come to a stop.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Apr 102013

Escape 4-cyl

The engine has died and shut off while driving down a highway at 40 miles per hour twice. Took the vehicle to dealership and no problem was found. One week later on May 17 the vehicle died while pulling out into traffic. The driver had to veer unpowered off the road to avoid a head on collision. Engine has shut down four times while driving in one week.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 112013

Escape 4-cyl

Purchased the vehicle new on May 7, drove 10 miles and parked the vehicle in my garage. On May 11, I noted a substantial amount of engine oil under the car. The vehicle was towed to the service department and the following was noted: Oil leak diagnosis timing peg plug missing from right side of engine block. The right half axle shaft and bearing bracket were removed, the plug hole was cleaned and threads tapped using M10 X 1.5 tap. Installed new timing plug tightened to spec. New oil and filter installed. The origin of the leak could not be seen by owner visual inspection. Either the plug was not installed at the factory or it was not tightened and fell out. Either way, had it not been noticed the engine oil would have been totally lost increasing the likelihood of engine damage. Further oil covered the under carriage of the vehicle and could have gotten on to brakes compromising safety. Not sure if there was potential for engine fire.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Apr 252013

Escape 4-cyl

Starting around 6,500mi, Escape would not start without a jump start. After several days of calling tow trucks for these jumps, took it into Ford dealership. They swapped battery and said that's all it needed. After a week, Escape engine cut out at while stopped at red signal light. Engine warning lights for oil and battery came on, and nothing else. Pushed car to side of road and after waiting for tow for 20 minutes, I tried to start engine again and everything came back on as if nothing had happened. After two days of "all systems normal, " I went to start the engine and it began to shake violently and a "engine malfunction-service immediately" warning came up on the dash. I tried to pull car out of parking spot and it had almost no power. Barely putted along despite my really giving it the gas. Parked and had it brought to Ford dealership again. On arrival they pulled a code P0106 off reader. It's been there for 10 days and they say they can not reproduce issue, and have made no repairs. Still waiting for news.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 062013

Escape 4-cyl

While stopped at a stoplight, with the car in drive and my foot on the brake the engine revs up and the car lurches forward and crashes into the car in front of me. This happened last week at a drive thru and I was fortunate that no one was in front of me.

- Oakbrook Terrace, IL, USA

Mar 222013

Escape 4-cyl

Since January, my 2013 Escape has been in the shop on three separate occasions for the same major engine issue. From the driver's perspective, the car lurches and jerks and feels as though it will stall. Then a "service engine now" light appears. This occurs shortly after I pull out of my driveway and proceed on flat city blocks. This lurching/jerking is frightening and feels unsafe. I have been told from the Ford service advisor that they have twice replaced the M.a.P. sensor and connector. 3/22/13, 4/3/13. Now the car is at Ford 4/29/13 with the same exact symptoms. I await a call from Ford service to give me the latest diagnosis/prognosis. There are other issues involving the sync system that are also in the case record. Suffice to say, sync is not working as advertised. For example, the clock is inconsistent and the navigation system is adversely affected by pairing with bluetooth devices such as the iphone. I am aware that Ford is aware of these bugs. At present, I was advised not to pair my devices which is inconvenient to say the least. The lurking/jerking is the main complaint however.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 162013

Escape 4-cyl

On 4-16-13 the engine on my new Escape started to sputter and not run right. On 4-17-13 I cranked the Escape in my drive way and it sputtered and died. After about 3 hours the Escape cranked and I drove it to the Ford dealer where I bought it to have it fixed. The Escape has been at the Ford dealership since 04/17/13 and they have not been able to fix the problem with the engine or the other part that keeps it from running. The Escape has died or quit running at the dealership 3 times that I know of from reports that the dealership staff has updated me with. The dealership has had the Escape sixteen days.

- Bessemer , AL, USA

Feb 102012

Escape 4-cyl

The check engine light came on and averaged 15mpg highway getting to the dealership. They said it was the knock sensor. They replaced it and 24 hours later check engine light on again, same mpg. This time they say its the computer needs to be changed. One month later, check engine light on again with a fault and the engine surges.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 072013

Escape

Vehicle reported engine temperature too high and that I should pull over safely. This is the same engine overheating / fire hazard problem supposedly fixed during December 2012 recall.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 242013

Escape 6-cyl

While depressing the brake pedal in order to bring the vehicle to a full stop at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood, the engine raced and the vehicle lurched forward beyond the stop sign. I, the driver, was required to quickly place the vehicle into neutral gear as the acceleration of the engine and the fully depressed brake pedal seemed to be fighting against each other.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 312013

Escape 4-cyl

I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape in Oct 2012. It has been in service three times for the same issue. Faulty engine light "service now" but computer didn't capture any issues with vehicle. First time dealer changed the mass pressure air sensor. The second time they contact Ford which told them to upgrade the computer software, this time I called to have the manufacturer send the Ford engineer which states it is the onboard computer. He emailed Ford for the diagrams since vehicle is new and not available to the dealer (so that is what I am being told). The dealer has no idea of what the problem truly is. Finally contact manufacturing who states it is a computer component. Vehicle still at dealership for repair. It is a safety hazard due to the lunging and hesitation of the vehicle when you depress the accelerator. It doesn't have enough power to get you out of an intersection if needed. It lunges forward as if the transmission is defective or the fuel injectors.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 092013

Escape

I used the 'remote start' feature tostart my car. I then entered the vechicle, started it up [as usual]. when pulling out of the driveway, the car stopped/stalled out. I put it in park, restarted. 'check engine' light came on. Was driving to dealership and car stopped/stalled again. Would not restart. Towed to dealership. Dealership said there was a 'problem with onboard computer'. computer reset. Have had same problem twice.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 252013

Escape 4-cyl

I started my vehicle in the morning using the remote start feature. After about 10 minutes, I entered my vehicle, backed out of my driveway and put it in drive. Upon depressing the accelerator, the car hesitated, then surged, hesitated again and then stalled in the middle of the road. I put my hazard warning on and attempted to restart the vehicle. It would not restart. I finally was able to restart the vehicle after about 5 minutes and limped it back into my driveway. I called for tow service and had it towed to the dealership where I purchased it. The service manager informed me several times that there were no logged faults in the ECM even though I had a check engine light immediately after this occurred. Later however, I learned from the actual mechanic, that there were several codes logged and there was a technical bulletin out to update the body control module with new software. The tech stated he could not do that however as his tooling would not show the BCM module or allow him to program it even though the directions stated his version of tooling software should allow it. They called Ford tech support and received no answers. They sent me on my way with my vehicle and did not do anything with it. I'm fearful the issue has not been resolved and poses a safety risk due to lack of acceleration and stalling.

- Parma, OH, USA

Dec 192012

Escape 4-cyl

Upon taking my car in for the recall, I was notified on 12/19/2012 that the oil gasket was leaking. To date ( 1/2/13) sarat Ford in agawam MA still does not have the parts or any idea when my car will be fixed. It has 3100 miles on it and I purchased it in late September 2012.

- Feeding Hills, MA, USA