CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Nov 232016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and the battery warning sensor illuminated. In addition, the contact heard an abnormal sound coming from the fuel tank. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Traphill, NC, USA

Nov 082016

Escape

While driving down the road about 50mph, the car lost all power and it actually felt as if the someone had depressed the brakes. Since I had not hit the brakes the car behind me did not see any brake lights and almost rammed me. The engine light came on briefly at some point but I can't remember exactly when. My car then stalled. I was able to drift to the side out of the way. I tried starting and it would not start. After about 15 minutes it did start up and drove perfectly fine. This has happened to me 3 times over the past couple of months. I searched recalls and found recall 14S17 and notified Ford. They said it doesn't cover my VIN. Why doesn't it" this is the problem I am having and it looks like many other people are experiencing the same issue. This has the potential to cause an accident, hurt someone or even cause death! my car was manufactured in Nov 2012 and the recall states that it covers Jan 2012 to April 2013 but not my vehicle. Why??"

- Millersville, MD, USA

Sep 122016

Escape

Coolant bypass valve clogged causing my vehicle to overheat and stall in the middle of the highway after turning off of a very busy intersection. Managed to limp the vehicle to Ford and part was replaced after two days of the dealer having it. Part is under recall, but not applicable for my VIN apparently told to me by Ford corporate. Cost of repair out of pocket was $400.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 162016

Escape

** accident*** Ford dealer diagnosis found codes P2036 and P26B7 as map sensor and pefr wire and engine coolant bypass valve. The Ford dealer stated that this vehicle VIN#1fmcu0gx4duc67351 is not under recall and wants over $1100 to repair. The NHTSA campaign number 15V813000 covers this vehicle's diagnosis made by Ford and should be recalled also under Ford's recall number 14S17-S1. I've called Ford Motor Corp. A second time 11/16/16 and was given case #11069892 and then transfered over to the dealer who again stated this vehicle is not covered under the recall. In the condition that this vehicle is at present I am seeking repairs under NHTSA campaign # 15V813000.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Nov 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving, the vehicle suddenly shut off and a warning message indicating that the engine overheated displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the water heater was faulty and fluid was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,150.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while reducing speed to less than 10 mph, the engine suddenly stall. The vehicle would also stall while idling. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- North East, PA, USA

Oct 212016

Escape

The engine light is on in vehicle. Coolant bypass valve is stated as not working. Are we able to find out if the vehicle was taken in due to recall for engine coolant leaks.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 042016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would shift hard and a warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer; however, the details of the diagnosis could not be provided. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that the windshield wiper fractured while the vehicle was being repaired. After the windshield wiper was repaired, the windshield was fractured by the dealer. The contact stated that the vehicle continued to shift hard after the repair. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle would stall. The vehicle was shut off and turned back on, and the vehicle returned to normal. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. Also, while pulling into a parking spot, the contact heard an abnormal noise and the vehicle stalled after moving three feet. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Taylor, SC, USA

Oct 222016

Escape

I had gotten into my vehicle and after turning it on I managed to make it to my neighbors house. My vehicle for the second time started to over heat and the engine light came on and the vehicle was stating that I need to refill the coolant. I just parked it and the next day we had filled the coolant again taken it to get the error codes checked and were informed we need to get a new thermostat. When taking it to the mechanics they had tried everything from checking codes to driving my vehicle and they were unable to get the issue taken care of due to not being able to re-create the codes. They had informed me that this is a known issue with Ford, however when contacting Ford they have no idea what I am talking about. I checked online and see there is a recall for this, but my VIN even though having the qualifying manufacturing date is not eligible. I have had my vehicle for 1 1/2 years and have had it shut down on me, not have any power, start to put and stall, refilling coolant every so often, over heat, and I can never get a straight answer from the dealership. I have called for information in regards to recalls and these issues and am transferred to a person who is not there so I can leave a voice mail. I have never had a call returned. I just want to know what I have to do to understand what is going on with my vehicle. Why is my VIN not eligible as well?

- Fraser, MI, USA

Oct 252016

Escape

I was driving and as I was approaching the red light my car stalled. I turned it off and on three times until I finally was able to move it. My main concern is safety should it stall when im driving. I have a 1.6L but it is not covered under the recall 14S17, should that be the issue. The symptoms seem to match, and the issue is extremely frustrating.

- Wakefield Ma, MA, USA

Sep 232016

Escape

I purchased my 2013 Ford Escape July 2015 and for the year I had it I was fairly pleased. I had heard the horror stories about these cars catching fire and was aware of the recalls. I had been to a Ford dealership back in June for a tune-up and assured all recalls had been done on the vehicle, I had bought it used but Ford was able to search the information from the VIN, or so they said. Friday September 23rd I was on my way to work, on the I-5 North fast lane, when the car had a warning light saying something about my 4wheel drive. The car began to lurch and smoke began to come up from right underneath the windshield wipers. By the time I was able to make it over to the shoulder, thankfully without causing an accident, I could see the smoke replaced with flames and all warning lights were lit on the dash. I grabbed what I could and my dog and called 911. By the time the fire department was able to get to us the car was completely engulfed in flames. Although personal items, and my first car I purchased on my own, was lost my dog and I made it out alive. As the process of dealing with insurance began I have been trying to get Ford attention in this matter. I am now the 14th person this has happened to. After more digging and numerous phone calls to different Ford dealerships only a handful of them told me to get the car in immediately to a shop because of fire risk. I was also informed that the recalls had not been done to the vehicle, and one dealership even gave me a shop name that the recalls had supposedly been done at. I called and the shop had no records of even seeing the vehicle. I am awaiting a letter from Ford legal department but this issue really needs to be put out there. I walk buy the vehicles everyday, some with baby seats in the back, and it horrifies me. **also trying to upload pictures but it's not allowing

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Oct 132016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled but was able to restart. The low coolant warning indicator also illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the cylinder head needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 13V583000 (engine). The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 61,000.

- Uxbridge, MA, USA

Oct 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle began to decrease in speed and was unable to accelerate. The dealer diagnosed that the engine, alternator, and wiring failed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Sep 252016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 46,000.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Sep 172016

Escape

The same thing described in 13V583000 happened to me on the highway. Ford is hiding behind the VIN and says because it is out of warranty and the VIN is not effected by 13V583000 that they cannot repair it. I owe 16000 on this car.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Sep 112016

Escape

My 2013 Ford Escape is overheating and it cut off on me while in motion on the expressway and it wouldn't nor start.

- Decatur, GA, USA

May 112016

Escape

Engine fault service now light comes on frequently. Dealership replace map sensor. Worked for one week. Continues to happen which causes car to hesitate and stall. Garage says I have to drive it there when message comes on without shutting it off as the code clears upon shut down. Impossible to continue to drive a stalling car on the freeway to the garage. Now the computer screen above the steeing wheel went out. Less than 40,000 miles on the car. Fault message occurs when starting the car. Continues to happen.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Apr 222016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle would overheat while driving, causing the vehicle to stall with the engine coolant warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V551000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 222016

Escape

Exactly two weeks after purchasing this used Ford, I start it up to leave in the morning for work and my check engine light came on. I took it up to the shop to get looked at and the code coming on the code reader is P26B7 replace coolant bypass valve. Hmm common problem in several 2013 Escapes there was actually a recall on many of them except mine??

- Kimball, MI, USA

Aug 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving, the message "vehicle over heating" was displayed before the engine suddenly stalled. The contact also indicated that smoke was present coming from under the hood due to oil leaking unto the engine. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Yonkers, NY, USA