4.5

2014 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Nov 112016

Escape

The back windshield shattered with no warning or apparent cause. The force behind the break was such that it caused the side frames to fall more than 3 feet from either side of the vehicle. My vehicle was parked in my driveway overnight. The weather was temperate. It does not appear to have had any outside cause; the glass is all on the outside of the car.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Sep 022016

Escape

A door latch with a fractured pawl spring tab typically results in a "door will not close" condition. A door that opens while driving increases the risk of injury. As of 9/2/16, Ford's investigation into this concern has identified a total of one alleged accident and three alleged injuries that Ford believes may be related. One alleged injury was to an occupant's arm from a door that reportedly opened and bounced back. Another injury involved a driver who alleged her hand was injured when trying to grab a door that opened. The third injury was to an occupant who allegedly received scratches from a rear door that opened while driving. Ford has no further information relating to these reports. The alleged accident occurred after the driver's door reportedly opened in a parking lot and resulted in bumper damage, but Ford has no additional information.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 082016

Escape

The throttle body went out on my car. It was a part recalled on over a million Ford models except my 2014. I believe it should have been added to the original recall list. The car stopped in the middle of rush hour traffic on the expressway. I could have been killed. I was on highway 74 in the middle of morning traffic with trucks on either side of me. I was simply terrified and almost didn't make it over to the side when my check engine light came on, my car stopped running, and I barely coasted over. After 3 hours of waiting for a tow to the closest dealership, the dealer determined it was the throttle body that needed replace. Now I have tow costs, rental car costs, and more because of a $60 part that was recalled on the prior year vehicles, yet still failing on the current vehicles as well.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Aug 282014

Escape

Constant loss of coolant from new. Have to top up every day after approx 50 miles. Dealer says no recall although previous years have had this problem.

- Waverly Hall, GA, USA

Jul 202016

Escape

Right rear passenger door suddenly flew open while driving. Indicator light did come on. Door would not latch when closed and had to be tied to opposite door to hold closed. Took car to dealer, service writer claimed to see no problem advised my husband to take home and "play" with it. That was not acceptable. I returned to dealer July 21, 2016 and spoke to service writer a second time after finding many complaints on failing door latches and politely advised that Ford was aware of this as an ongoing problem and that I wanted Ford to investigate and make repairs. The rep said they were too busy that day but did schedule an appointment for me to bring the car back stating that the prior issues were not with the Ford Escape and repair cost would depend if my car remained under warranty. I said we could discuss that further after Ford identified the cause of the problem and repaired it and also checked the latches on the other doors to be certain I would not be in danger of other door latch failures. The dealer also asked if we "messed with" the latch mechanism. I told them, no, despite the fact we were first told to go home and play with it. Since it's clear Ford is aware of these problems, it is disappointing that they don't just say so the first time you take the car in and then even the second time just say, yes we are aware and we will be happy to take care of the problem for you. It is clearly a design defect or a bad part. It is also a very dangerous situation to have a door fly open.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

May 262016

Escape

We parked our car and the door closed and we locked it with the remote as usual and when we came back we opened the door and it worked fine opening it when we closed the door however the door would not latch at all there was nothing jamming the door or anything it just malfunctioned we had to hold it closed with our hands and we immediatly took it to the dealership the whole way driving it there we got alerts from my key the door was opened where we had bought it from they said they didnt know what was wrong and it took almost a week to fix we had to get a rental. I think this is happening just like the Ford Explorer a latch problem we eventually got it fixed and traded it in for a 2016 Ford Explorer hopefully this one dose not malfunction like the Escape I love Ford and always will its just mabey they need to take a break and really catch up on whats really important : performance for a while they are probably stressed right now with all the new models and bringing in the Focus rs to the us and now bringing back the Ranger and remodeling the licoln Navigator and the Expedition so its okay but they need to catch a break and catch up with performance for a while.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 172015

Escape

Roof leaks on both sides of vehicle cause water stained/wet headliner above windshield pillers. Took to dealer, they claimed they resealed roof rack, and cleaned headliner. Not even 2 weeks later paasenger side headliner is wet again. Contacted dealer and Ford it is worse this time than it was the first time. Apparently my Escape isn't the only one with this issue after visiting several forum's. when vehicle is in motion I can hear water dripping if its is raining or if there is a heavy dew.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Oct 202015

Escape

The car is bucking and almost stalling when I accelerate. I've taken it to two different dealers and they can't find anything. One dealer told me that this was normal, even though I found similar complaints online.

- Stewartsville, NJ, USA

Sep 202015

Escape

The seals on the air conditioner evaporator drain box have failed twice in 3 months. This condition allows water that should drain overboard through the evaporator drain box drain hose to leak out of the evaporator box onto the floor carpet on each side of the car. The water saturates the carpet under the drivers and passengers feet. The water creates a potentially dangerous condition of the drivers feet being able to slip off the brake or gas pedal from being continuously wet while operating the car. Ford repaired the car under warranty 3 months ago. The seals failed again and saturated the carpet on the drivers side with water that leaked out of the evaporator box. Ford's service manager stated "the factory Ford repair kit for this condition is not working". he also stated "this seal failure is affecting 33% of the Escapes on the road and other makes that use the same seals and Ford is aware of the high rate of seal failures". Ford told us to keep driving the car because the service department is backed up with these repairs. Why isn't there a recall on these affected vehicles" how many people have to die before Ford issues a recall on the affected vehicles"

- Pierson, FL, USA

Jul 102015

Escape

While traveling on I-76, I came upon a truck-tire tread in the middle of my lane. There were vehicles on both sides of me so I could not swerve to avoid it, I ran over it and it damaged the engine shield on the underside of my car ($300), a friend recently had a similar incident in which a truck ahead and on his right threw a tread which struck the front of the care ($1300). While on a recent extended trip, I came upon 50-75 discarded treads on the interstates. The purpose of my making this report is to suggest that consideration be given to banning retreads on over-the-road trucks. They appear to be unreliable and could cause serious accidents at these speeds if they haven't already.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jun 182015

Escape

**this incident involves the panoramic roof glass/window spontaneously bursting at highway speeds.** my family and I were driving at highway speeds when suddenly we heard a very loud explosion. It startled my husband, he almost lost control of the vehicle because the vehicle swerved as a result of having the roof torn open at highway speeds. This incident could cause a severe, life-threatening injury. We pulled over to the side of the road. We saw that the glass had burst almost completely, leaving only approximately 1.5" margins of shattered glass around the edges. The rubber bond that seals the glass on all four sides to the roof of the vehicle bent to the point where it was flailing about on the highway. The shattered pieces of glass chipped/scratched/damaged the roof rack, rear panoramic roof glass (the panoramic roof on the this Escape is comprised of two glasses, one in the front that slides opened and closed, and the rear one that remains stationary) and the roof of the vehicle. Absolutely nothing impacted the vehicle to cause this damage. This incident is not a result of misuse or abuse. It is absolutely a defective component that Ford Motor Company has not been responsible for. Whilst on the side of the road, we contacted our Ford dealership. They told us to send pictures. We did and they sent them to Ford corporate for approval. They answered that since they can't see the defective component in the pictures, they can assume something impacted the glass and therefore the incident does not qualify for warranty service. I was quoted that the repairs could cost approximately $1500usd. I have documentation and pictures of the incident that I would be more than happy to share if deemed helpful to make my case. This is an issue that has affected many Escape owners. There was even a recall in 2014 regarding issues with the panel of the panoramic roof.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Feb 162015

Escape

I attempted to close the rear lift gate door by the handle, and it acted as if there were no screws holding it to the door. I had to grasp and pull down on the door to close it then and since then in all cases. Poor manufacture.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Jul 242015

Escape

Whenever car is on and parked, not moving, or going slower than 20 mph, the air conditioning does not cool and blows extremely hot air into the car. If I am in traffic, at a stop light, getting drive through, or parking the car, it quickly gets dangerously hot. Right now we have 100+ degree days consistently, with my child in the back seat I fear driving my vehicle in this heat as it is known to kill in Texas. My father is an electrician and when I told him he said it looks like an electrical or power problem because he thinks the car idles too low.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Escape 4-cyl

The vehicle stalled with no warning, would not restart. Have had for 6 weeks. Has been at dealership and they cannot identify problem. 5 sensors are not communicating from the engine. They have changed computer it restarted and died again. Ford insists they are going to fix it and are going to force me to take it back.

- Chciago, IL, USA

Mar 032014

Escape

While driving my vehicle it's approach sensor went off. I thought it was due to being in traffic but then it went off on a constant high pitch squeal. It lasted for about 3 minutes then shut off. Then when I was on the hands free telephone device through the Ford consal it went off again and I could not stop the very high pitch squeal and I had to pull off the road and put it in park. Then it happened while sitting at a stop sign. The squeal was so loud I wanted to take the vehicle to Ford and ask for a refund. I could not stop the sound and it sounded like my speakers were on high but I couldn't lower the volume. This was a new vehicle and just drove it off the lot about a month or less. It hasn't happened since.

- Great Falls , MT, USA

Nov 052013

Escape 4-cyl

Picked up 2014 Ford Escape 1.6 ecoboost- October 2013- engine RPM' S rev to 3-4 for no reason - sporadically- when remote started, and when electric starting car. Brakes loud whistling noises- comes and goes- auto lift gate opens half way sometimes, closes on you when your loading things sometimes, rear door behind driver -child locks on- cant turn off- passenger cant get out of that side of car- no heat! temp gauge jumps from C to H then back to C. no heat in car even after remote starting vehicle 2-3 times and letting it run- car is ice cold inside. Defrost don't work unless on max defrost and on hi - blower doesn't seem to blow anything - when put on defrost and feet it blows out vents instead. Due to no heat inside vehicle. Freeze every day driving to work.. by the time I get to work it finally heats up- approx. 20 min drive. Pulled in driveway from work- 20 min drive and car was overheating- buffalo NY - taking car in today with list of issues.

- Hamburg, NY, USA