1998 Ford Expedition transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Expedition:

1998 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Oct 132014

click to see larger images

self-shifted from park to reverse

On 10/13/14, after a quick trip to my local Safeway, I was unloading my truck, a 1998 Ford Expedition, which I left running while I unloaded the groceries. Upon my return to the car some 30 seconds later I found it was slightly creeping backwards as if it had been left on an incline, which it had not. Upon my vain attempt to enter the vehicle to stop it, it sped up traveling in reverse thus tossing me on the ground and ran me over quite literally. nine broken ribs, a broken arm and broken ankle The car was purchased 10 months earlier at a local used car dealership.

I have done massive amounts of research as to what could be the cause and discovered that Ford had issued a recall on the same model's automatic transmission shift cable assembly, where it is possible to have "intended movement", a direct quote from the recall letter from Ford dated 9/1997. I think a vehicle jumping from Park to Reverse is, uh-hem, "unintended", I know my nine broken ribs were unintended....I just threw in the broken arm and leg because nine broken ribs are not impressive enough as a unintended injury. (sarcasm...I've earned the right to be a smart ass) Seriously, I am pursuing litigation, I'm not sure against whom yet. As I have spoken with several attorneys here in Montana aka, the Judicial Twilight Zone. I may end up going pro se. Who have been lovely enough to tell me the good news is I'm not dead...the bad news is I'm not dead.

- , Missoula, MT, USA