1998 Ford Expedition windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Expedition:

1998 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Dec 172009

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition eb model. I just had to take it into the dealer because the windshield is not sealed properly and the GEM module has been getting wet and needs to be replaced along with the fuse box. Apparently this is quite common with this year and modle.I have to spend 885 to have it fixed and now have to have the windshield replaced as well. The car would not start and the lights flickers on and off while I was driving the power locks would lock and unlock while I was driving. The windows would go up and down while I was driving. This is not safe! it died in the middle of an intersection once then the engine revved up and it wouldn't stop. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. The dash started smoking and a beeping noise came from under the dash somewhere. I was lucky enough to get the battery disconnected before there was any real fire damage. If I had know nothing about cars I would have kept driving and could have been seriously injured.

- Coeurdalene, ID, USA

Jul 252005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

When it rains water leaks onto the GEM module and fuse box under the dashboard left of the steering column. Some of the effects are, windshield wipers stopping, transmission going into limp mode with od light flashing, battery going dead if raining overnight, speedometer not working, heater fan running while off, left front power window not working, and instrument panel warning lights flashing on and off. Everything comes back to normal after it dries out. I had the windshield replaced. I had the new windshield resealed twice. I had to replace the battery. I still can see water dripping next to the parking brake. I have browsed the net and found that this is a common problem with Expedition and F150's. I would like Ford to take responsibility and repair this defect.

- Gibbstown, NJ, USA

Jan 032001

While driving behind a truck, a rock was thrown against windshield, causing a fingerwide crack from top to bottom of windshield.

- Gaylord, MI, USA

May 051999

While vehicle was parked overnight the glass cracked due to pressure. The dealer will be notified.

- Ft Laurdale, FL, USA