- December 18: Ford Recalls 500,000 Mustangs To Fix Exploding Airbags
- December 4: Ford Recalls Mustang Sports Cars and Transit Connect Cargo Vans
- November 25: Ford Cleared in Steering Defect Investigation of 500,000 Cars
- November 18: Ford Fusions Recalled So They Don't Roll Away
- November 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Fumes Lawsuit Still Breathing
1997 Ford Explorer
Worst 1997 Explorer drivetrain Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- "errrrr" sound when letting off gas2
- rear differential noise2
- knocking and scraping noise from front end1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Driveshaft12
- NHTSA: Power Train: Transfer Case (4-Wheel Drive)12
- NHTSA: Power Train8
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly5
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Differential Unit3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Axle Shaft: Seal2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Constant Velocity Joint2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 1997 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.