8.0

1. bolt back on (1 reports)
  2. had to have it welded back on (1 reports)
1998 Ford Explorer accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 022015

Explorer

Travelling in the left of three lanes on cruise control, tapped the brake to switch it off, tried to accelerate a few seconds later and no pedal to use. It was laying on the floor. I was able to change lanes pissing several people off and get to the side of the road.

I had to be towed to a gas station and it took an hour and a half to check what was behind toe firewall and drill two holes to bolt the bracket back on. The bracket already has two holes in it presumably for this purpose. I was fortunate to be able to get to the shoulder as I could only idle the car.

The three spot welds were not even corroded. I think it was just sloppy workmanship and I was fortunate to go so long without it happening..

- , Fernley, NV, USA

Jun 072012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I was pulling a raft trailer with 5 people in the car and the trailer fully loaded with 2 rafts, a kayak, and a weeks worth of gear. I was in the middle lane of a 5-lane highway next to Ogden, Utah when I hit the brake to stop the cruise control. When I moved my foot over to give it gas, there was no gas pedal! Really strange feeling. I managed to weave through traffic to the side of the road and found the pedal, which had pulled up due to the cable running through the firewall. We were close to an exit, so I reached down and worked the pedal while someone else steered the vehicle. We managed to find a radiator shop that had a MIG welder and after 90 minutes and $90 to put two beads up both sides, the pedal is now properly welded to the floor and should never come off again. Three wimpy little spot welds is not safe!

- , Corvallis, OR, USA