1. doors fixed, door mechanisms replaced (1 reports)
1998 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 202013

Explorer XLT 4.0L Sohc

Purchased on CraigsList, $900.00, delivered to our door, November 20, 2013. My count is that I have owned over 112 cars, trucks, motorcyles, and have scrapped only 4, in 53 years of driving, since 1962.

Had test driven it, and noted that back doors were not able to be opened, and front doors were, with driver door outside handle broken, with only a few other minor problems typical of many vehicles that are 14 years old. Wrecking yards are our friends, so, three door mechanisms out of 2 scrapped Explorer 4 door SUVs, plus, minor trim pieces; the Cruise control safety recall wiring harness, plus one driver outside door handle from, all ran $65 total.

My own personal labor totaled 7 hours of pleasure. I have built, re-built, welded, painted, and riveted together cars since my first 1953 Chevrolet 2 door, that cost me $25, in 1962, when that was a weeks pay packing groceries. I prefer the savings in my houses, vehicles, antique firearms, garden tools, tractors, computers, flat screen TVs, appliances, sheds, bicycles, boomerangs, atlatls, knives, through using my own sweat equity to create, re-furbish and re-cycle!

Folks, it's all about having a good plan, great attitude, aptitudes, and, the right tools. BTW, the first time I do a job, the tool costs are usually about 30% of the labor rate, and I have the tools/equipment for the next item I recycle!

- , Orlando, FL, USA