1. replace engine (1 reports)
1998 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 162010

Explorer

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer bran new in 1998. I was the only driver for over 12 years. I kept the maintenance schedules faithfully, allowing only Ford Service Department to work on my truck. My Explorer had been running well until that day in October 2010. I was driving along, came to a stop light, and my Explorer turned off. There was absolutely no warning. No dashboard lights. No shaking. No running rough. It just turned off quietly. I had it towed to AAA auto repair. The next day I was told that the engine had locked up. The recommended repair was to replace the engine. Bran new Explorer, one driver, Ford service department for maintenance, 157,000 miles, 12 years old, $35,000. Today, my truck is parked, looking new, all of the systems work, except the engine. This just seems wrong.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA