2. replace motor (1 reports)
1999 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Explorer:

1999 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Feb 082011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

This Explorer has 120,000 easy miles with 2,000 mile oil changes. It blue books for $ 4,300.00 Will cost $2,800-3,000 to fix with used parts. This thing should have gone another 80,000 miles before one of the timing chains should break (it has three). This is not good math I am parting the thing out on craigs list. With in 3 days had 4 calls for the transmission alone. What a loss. Never again will I buy a Ford, I just bought a new Tahoe hopefully it will run to 200,000 miles

- , Bonanza, OR, USA

Jan 052009

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I have owned this Explorer with four wheel drive since 2000. I have only used the feature twice in light snow. I have had it serviced regularly. Today, without any notice I began hearing a terrible noise. I looked at my oil pressure gauge. I had no pressure. Luckily I was at the station that services my SUV, I pulled in, I was told that the timing chain had gone bad. I was also informed that Ford knows about this problem but refuses to accept any responsibility for the engineering defect. I thought I would be able to drive this Explorer for another 70,000 miles. But not so.

- , Selma, NC, USA