- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 17 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 26 days ago
- June 7: Sports Car Crash-Test Ratings All Over the Place news | 48 days ago
- June 1: Ford Recalls 1.9 Million Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 54 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls 271,000 F-150 Trucks For Leaking Master Cylinders recalls | 61 days ago
Blend Door Broken
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 115,580 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 13 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- take apart dashboard and replace blend door actuator (10 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)
- remove glovebox, manually reach in and open blend door (1 reports)
- removed fresh air door (1 reports)
AC / heater problem