- November 23: Ford Recalls 452,000 Cars To Fix Gas Tank Leaks
- November 21: Ford Recalls E-350 and E-450 For Trailer Brake Problems
- October 28: Ford Recalls 131,000 Vehicles, Mostly SUVs For Fire Risk
- October 20: Ford F-150 Electric Brake Vacuum Pump Investigation Upgraded
- October 3: Investigation Expanded Into Ford Explorer Police Interceptors
Blend Door Broken
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 115,580 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 13 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- take apart dashboard and replace blend door actuator (10 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)
- remove glovebox, manually reach in and open blend door (1 reports)
- removed fresh air door (1 reports)
AC / heater problem