- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 3 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 6 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 24 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 27 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 54 days ago
Blend Door Broken
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 115,580 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 13 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- take apart dashboard and replace blend door actuator (10 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)
- remove glovebox, manually reach in and open blend door (1 reports)
- removed fresh air door (1 reports)
AC / heater problem