- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 1 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 19 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 22 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 49 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 58 days ago
Door Ajar Light, Interior Dome Light Does Not Shut Off
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 93,354 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 34 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (25 reports)
- pony up the cash to have it fixed (3 reports)
- spray the locks with wd40 and then slam doors (3 reports)
- cover light up with electrical tape as well as ABS light too (2 reports)
- replaced all door sensors (1 reports)
accessories - interior problem