- May 3: No Recall For Ford F-150 Brake Pedal Problems investigations | 3 days ago
- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 9 days ago
- April 12: Ford F-150 SuperCab Takes Top Crash Test Award news | 24 days ago
- March 31: Ford Recalls 48,000 Vehicles in 3 Recalls recalls | 36 days ago
- March 20: Ford Trucks Won't Be Recalled For Stalling Problems investigations | 47 days ago
Black Plastic Panels Between Windows Fade And Crack
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 4)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 66,481 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 63 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- ford should replace the piece (27 reports)
- replace black plastic panel (19 reports)
- not sure (14 reports)
- i bought back to black by mothers (1 reports)
- replaced all the rear doors (1 reports)
- used "Black Box" by Turtle Wax (1 reports)
body / paint problem