- December 2: Ford Recalls 680,000 Fusion, Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ Cars recalls | 3 days ago
- November 28: Ford Panoramic Sunroof Lawsuit Dropped by Plaintiffs news | 7 days ago
- November 25: 2016 Ford Explorer Throttle Body Lawsuit Investigation Opened news | 10 days ago
- November 8: Ford Focus Purge Valve Focus of Lawsuit news | 27 days ago
- November 5: Ford Door Latch Recall Closes Ford Focus Investigation investigations | 30 days ago
Black Plastic Panels Between Windows Fade And Crack
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 4)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 66,481 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 63 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- ford should replace the piece (27 reports)
- replace black plastic panel (19 reports)
- not sure (14 reports)
- i bought back to black by mothers (1 reports)
- replaced all the rear doors (1 reports)
- used "Black Box" by Turtle Wax (1 reports)
body / paint problem