6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 25 of 31)

Jul 102007

Explorer XLT V6

A crack on the back panel. I called Ford to report the problem and they said there are not many complaints to have it recalled. When I go down the road I see a Ford explorer I look at the back and there is the crack. People out there start complaining about it.

- , Dover, PA, USA

Jul 102007

Explorer Limited V8

We have been back and forth with ford dealerships to try and have this fixed - they suggested it was our problem and caused from closing the hatch too hard - well then I guess a lot of people close their hatch too hard! what jerks!

THEY SHOULD RECALL AND FIX IT - it it obviously a defect - duh!!!!!

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 272007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Came into this site to report problem with my transmission but noticed that others also had the panel under rear window crack - another Ford Quality Part - Go Ford

- , Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jul 292007

Explorer XLT V8

The 2002 Ford explorer that my wife and I own was purchased new. A crack developed from top to bottom on the panel under the rear window about 3 inches to the left of the Ford emblem. No damage or abuse caused this "defect." My dealer and Ford Corporate will do nothing. I am willing to join any class action suit to resolve this problem as Ford continues to deny that this is a defective part.

- , Carson City, NV, USA

Jul 172007

Explorer XLT

Same situation as everyone else has mentioned. Crack appeared out of nowhere, dealer will only fix if I pay for it, Ford won't help. At Ford Motor Company, "Quality is Job 1" - what a bunch of garbage. No wonder this company is going down the crapper. Apparently the company is run by a bunch of myopic morons.

- , Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Jul 142007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

About a year a go I noticed some small lines on the panel below the rear window. Today there are at least 5 cracks that are very visible. I am in total agreement with everyone here. Class action suit is an altervative. I live in Hawaii with a temp. of 60 to 90 degrees and have seen multiple explorers with the same problem. Shouldn't happen in such a mild climate or any climate at that. Called Ford consumer help line and was told to get an estimate from a dealer and that they have been recieving numerous calls on this problem. Went to one of the local dealers for a quote and they didn't even call me back. Looks like this might be my last Ford!

- , Aiea, HI, USA

Jul 172007

Explorer XLT V6

This is just getting silly at this point. You would expect by now there would be someone intelligent enough at Ford to say: "Hey, this small plastic panel could actually result in us losing real money from future car buyers." So, why don't we display the impact that their inaction could potentially have? I'd be willing to start and circulate a petition that lists names, addresses and dollar amounts shelled out to purchase our flawed vehicles. The total that FMC would be losing next time (not to mention, years to come) we go looking for vehicles might shake someone in a decision-making capacity into reality. Please let me know if you'd like to participate.

Bill

- , Braintree, MA, USA

Jul 022007

Explorer V8

A year ago I noticed that the back panel under the window had broken. I called Ford and they said that it is not covered under anything and had not been recalled. Mine is sort of jagged and I'm afraid we will get cut on it. Since ours I have noticed about 1 out of 10 explorers I see on the road now have the same problem. I talked to the dealer again in May of 2007 and he said it might be recalled in a few months.

- , Beale AFB, CA, USA

Jul 052007

Explorer XLT V8

I agree with everyone and we should definitely start a class action suit, I have a 2002 XLT with the cracked panel and I have noticed many other ford's same year and model with the same cracked panel. Need to research on how to get a class action suit started! Let me know if anyone has proceeded and I will keep you all posted on what I find out

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 132007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

After getting the back hatch recall fixed finally in October 2006 I noticed in April 2007 I had 3 vertical cracks from the glass downwards about 3-4" long. This is very frustrating as it is a defect and should be fixed by ford.

- , San Diego, CS, USA

Apr 302007

Explorer XLT 4.0

... cracked basically the same as everyone else. Mine first stared small when it was 11 degrees out after closing the lift-gate and quickly grew into 3 splits from the top of the panel, around the emblem, to the bottom of the panel.

- , Gloucester City, NJ, USA

Apr 232007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This crack showed up out of blue and is all the way across the panel. The panel is cracked in two. This is obviously a factory defect and Ford needs to own up to it!

- , Westfield, IN, USA

Apr 112007

Explorer Eddie Baurer 4.0L

A second crack in the back panel of my lift gate appeared while my vehicle was being simultaneously serviced for the RECALL on the lift gate hinges.

I am ONE FORD vehicle OWNER who REFUSES to accept FORD MOTOR VEHICLES' FAILURE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR DEFECTIVE DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE OF MY VEHICLE AS WELL AS THE NUMEROUS OTHER FAILURES, IN MY OPINION, THAT FORD CONTINUES TO MAKE EVERY DAY.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 162007

Explorer 4.0L

Not only is the windows $ucked up now the piece of sh*t ford exploder has a crack below the rear window on the panel like i reported before DONT BUY FORD PRODUCTS THERE SH*TTY AND DONT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT!

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 142007

Explorer XLT 4.0 V6

I am somewhat relieved that other people are having similar issues. I was surprised to just come back one afternoon from dirt bike riding to find this panel cracked. I know i did not drop anything against it. Just the other day it cracked the rest of the way down the panel. It would have been nice if these things came painted. I would be somewhat inclined to replace it, but the hassle factor of finding someone to paint it seems hardly worth while. I guess I could experiment and shoot it myself. At least I know that there will not be any water issues since this panel is just covering a piece of glass.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 272007

Explorer LX 4.6L V8

This is another example of why US auto manufacturer are losing market share to the foreign manufacturers. Take some of the fat bonuses that the top executives are getting and use the money to repair these obvious defects in design and workmanship, i didn't read where Ford was honoring a lapsed warranty to repair these at no expense to owner

- , Kulpsville, PA, USA

Mar 272007

Explorer 4.0L V6

The back rear panel underneath the back window cracked. My explorer went into the dealership for a recall on the back window. When I asked if the recall would take care of the rear cracked panel that occurred for no apparent reason one night when it was really cold, the service manager indicated that it would not, although it should because they are related. The service manager indicated that the tension on the brackets for the back window, in which was recalled by ford, were related to the tension put on the back panel causing it to crack under certain conditions, such as cold temps, and if the recall would have been fixed prior to the cracked rear panel cracking, that it probably would not have occurred. When the rear window was fixed, the cracked rear panel did not have as big of gap as what it did prior to the recall replacement. I think that Ford should be aware of this and provide some type of assistance in replacing the cracked rear panel, especially since it is related to the recall.

- , Lewistown, PA, USA

Apr 062007

Explorer XLT V6

A few weeks ago I noticed a crack appear just below the rear window. At first, I thought it was a deep scratch that my kids made while loading schoolbooks or other items. Then, I noticed it after a cold spell as the crack gets wider as it gets colder and smaller as it heats up during the day. I think that Ford should fess up and do the right thing by replacing these panels. With so many complaints that I have read, regardless how old the SUV is, that Ford should replace the part free of charge. I had a recall a few years ago for a rear window part, however, when they finished the job and I went to pick up the vehicle, I noticed that there was no finger prints or parts that looked new? I did not wash my vehicle prior to taking it in the dealership and when I got home, I looked and noticed that it appeared that it had not even been touched. Somehow, I bet that dealership got lots of $$ for doing the repair from Ford. Needless to say, I will not buy another Ford product ever....

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 282007

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Well add me to the list. Came out one morning and found a nice HUGE crack in the plastic. Dealer won't do anything to help me because of the high mileage. Funny thing Ford - this POS is paid for and I was thinking of a new car - NO MORE FORDS FOR ME. Combined with the transaxle whine problem, the transmission clunk problems and Ford complete unwillingness to admit defect it looks like I am done with Ford. I want to by American, I just can't anymore. I am tired of subsidizing these friggin CEO bonuses.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Apr 062007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Panel under back window began with just a hairline crack, then grew over time and temperature to a full-blown 1/4" crack the heighth of the panel! It's unsightly and I feel a danger to motorists behind me... the rear window could fall out!! Happened just after the recall on the hinges was completed; dealership takes no responsibility, says out of warranty. That's funny, it still has a Ford emblem on the back, but I'll drive it in that condition to show how poorly the product is made... fixing to go foreign.

- , Redding, CA, USA