6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 27 of 31)

Mar 032007

Explorer XLS 4.0L

in September 2007 A 2" crack formed on the Right side of the painted rear hatch panel on the back of our 2002 Explorer. In December the crack spread all the way down the panel and now there is a 5" crack in the back panel. I have not even been to the dealership, but plan to give it a go soon. We also had to replace the 3rd gear band at 30,000 miles conveniently after the warranty was up.

- , Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 132006

Explorer XLS

Same problem as stated in the other blogs. How much ranting should be done before Ford will take the blame for the defect? Does anyone know of any good shops to fix the problem in the Tennessee area?

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 022007

Explorer XLT 4.0

I can't believe that this is still not a recall item. American auto builders complain about American consumer support but allows this to go on for years without follow up. I travel a lot and I have seen so many Explorers with the same defect.

- , Danville, Va, USA

Oct 182006

Explorer XLS V6

We bought it used in great condition. It was a leases vehicle and had 26000 miles on it. We came out one morning and there it was ... a big crack. We took it to a friend of ours who owns a body shop who told us that it looked like a factory defect and that we should take to the dealer. We asked it how much to fix and we were told that to do it right he would have to replace the entire panel. We haven't taken it to the dealer yet. But I will today after finding out we aren't the only ones.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 242007

Explorer XLT V8

Please add me to the list of complainants. For a couple of years now, my 2002 Explorer XLT has had two 5" cracks in the panel approximately under each window hinge. Today I noticed a new one directly above the Ford emblem. I happened to be driving by a Ford dealership and pulled in to see what they had to say. No surprise that they told me trim is not covered under warranty even though I bought the extended 6 yr/60,000 mile warranty. I told them I would take it up with the factory and he bid me farewell. This is my third Explorer in 10 years and has been by far the worst. It looks like it's finally time to move on.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

Oct 162006

Explorer XLS

Crack is very noticable and will diminish the resale value. I possibly have an attorney in Texas that is willing to take on Ford in a class action to get the panels replaced. If anyone is interested in joining, contact me at glmoseley@hotmail.com and be sure to put "Ford Explorer problem" in the subject line so I can distinguish it from other mail.

- , Ben Wheeler, TX, USA

Oct 172006

Explorer BLK V8

This is a problem that is inbred with the manufacturing of the car. There is nothing behind this panel, of which when the car is frozen and you open the half window; upon closing the have window/door, this panel will crack and will continue to crack with the changing of the weather from heat to cold weather. I believe Ford is shirking their responsibility and liability. I've been a Ford owner for over 25 years. Not anymore, I'm buying a Lexus or BMW SUV in a couple of months. I'm finished with Ford and their irresponsibility when it comes to customer service. From the articles I'm reading in the Wall Street Journal, I'm not the only one fed up with Ford.

- , Raytown, MO, USA

May 202005

Explorer LXS

I noticed two small cracks a few days ago and just now i noticed about a 7 inch crack appeared! I's plastic and i was wondering I can get the part replaced but I can't seem to find it online. I am worried about the rear window falling out as well! Not sure what to do..........:-(

- , Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Feb 202007

Explorer XLT V8

Mine cracked in December. Very mild winter here in CT. This should be a recall due to the number of complaints.

- , Shelton, CT, USA

Feb 202007

Explorer XLT V6

Bought vehicle in 2002, panel cracked in 2003 and was replaced under warranty. In 2006 clear coat on panel was flaking so panel was removed and repainted, under warranty. Last weekend panel cracked "again" right by emblem. Weather was colder than normal overnight but dealer said that would not cause it. Dealer said since it was out of warranty it was not covered. Dealer said cost was between $300 and $400 dollars and if I would pay $75.00 they would pay some and have Ford pay some. Not the best solution but better than nothing.

- , Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Feb 212007

Explorer Limited V8

I took the truck in to a Ford dealer so it can be repaired. They knew about it happening, the manager even showed me another explorer that was on their lot with the same problem. It is costing me 300.00 but I want it fixed. I hope Ford reimburses me after they start recalling it when they fess up to the problem. The part actually cost 90.00, the other cost are for labor, paint, etc.

- , Houston, Yexas, USA

Feb 192007

Explorer XLT V6

I noticed the crack while up in Lake Tahoe so figure it may be caused by the cold weather. I have seen two other Ford Explorers in the last week with the same crack and spoke to one of the owners. He said his also happened in the very cold weather and he never reported it as he figured it would not be covered due to the age of the car. My car is with Ford right now for evaluation, I'm hoping they will pay for it but I don't know yet. I know of one person who has had it paid for but it was right after she bought it used from the dealership.

- , Livermore, CA, USA

Feb 192007

Explorer Limited V8

This cracked panel thing just happened to my Explorer February 17, 2007. I was not sure how it happened but assumed it just snapped down the middle. With so many complaints on the matter Ford should replace it with a more durable material(sheet metal maybe)because this is going to keep happening to our vehicles. I did notice that the 2006/2007 models were redesigned in that area(a sign that they know this is a problem). I really love this vehicle but this cheap part is sending me running to Chevy for the Tahoe or Dodge for the Durango, some on Ford make me love you again by taking care of this immediately. I'm going to the dealers tomorrow to see what they'll tell me, the results will be posted soon after the visit.

- , Houston, Yexas, USA

Feb 172007

Explorer XLS V6

I'm a long time Ford owner but have to rethink after the run around I got. Rear window panel cracked for no apparent reason. Called the dealer and they said there was nothing they could do. They said if it had been cracked before the last recall(window supports) they could have sneaked it in. Ford must have really tightened the screws on the dealers for warranty work as I purchase all vehicles for our fleet of autos.(85% Fords) If my dealer would have been able to make an exception, I would have got it. To everyone else reporting, this is a very common problem. There are three 2002 Explorers in our parking lot of 90 employees and all 3 have the same crack in the rear panel.

- , Wausau, WI, USA

Feb 162007

Explorer XLT V6

I just moved to Murphy, NC from Palm Harbor, FL and the infamous Ford "Butt Crack" appeared the other day (Feb 14, 2007). I attribute the butt crack to freezing weather, which I didn't experience in FL. It's probably caused by constant contraction and expansion but I'm just guessing. Along with compiling a list of VIN numbers we should compile a list of geographic areas.

I bought my Explorer new and it's been a pretty good SUV. I've always liked the Explorer and this is my 2nd. Saying I wouldn't buy another Explorer because of the butt crack is probably not true. I am baffled as to why Ford won't belly up to the bar and pay for this. It would be the honorable thing to do.

Based on the number of posts at this web site, projecting this number out, I would suspect there are 1000's of Explorers perhaps 10's of 1000's with this butt crack. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a decal of a butt crack. :-)

I did have transmission problems right after the original warranty expired BUT I had an extended warranty and the transmission work was covered ($5000!!). The transmission problem was also a common problem. I understand the Sport Trac transmission is Ok. So, why not use that transmission in the Explorer?? I suppose I'm too logical.

For now I'll have to seal my butt crack with epoxy to keep the water out. Won't that look lovely!?

- , Murphy, NC, USA

Feb 172007

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Do you know I thought someone hit me in the grocery store parking lot? There was no other damage so it didn't make sense. This really does suck. What if water gets in this crack and causes electrical problems? Has anyone thought of that? The rear window is electric. I am not paying for something that is not a result of something I have done. Clearly, this is a problem and Ford needs to recall it. I have never had a problem with any of my other Fords. I have been a die-hard Ford driver since I was 17. I think if Ford wants to be like this.. my next car will be a Honda. Thanks a lot Ford Family.

- , Fruitland, MD, USA

Feb 112007

Explorer XLT V6

Not sure how it happened but after coming out of the car wash I noticed a crack below my rear window on the passenger side below the hatch window

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 112007

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I am very upset that my vehicle will just crack without any reason other than FORD makes bad vehicles. Ford should be more careful and test their products before they put them out in the market and if they do fail they should be liable for the repair. This is the last time I will ever ever buy anything Ford. Ford got me twice, I will not let them get me a third time.

- , Germantown, MD, USA

Feb 102007

Explorer XLT 3.2 V6

Well... here we go again! After swapping my explorer out with another explorer 2 months after purchasing the first one. I had a terrible time getting an exhaust issued resolved.

Just another example of a poorly engineered vehicle. What idiot designs a plastic panel that adheres to a glass panel that expands and contracts with seasonal changes. Duh.... Ever heard of molecules stupid and what they do when heated or contracting? I have seen three explorers in my neighborhood alone that have the identical vertical crack from the bottom to top just across the ford emblem.

Seems kinda ironic huh. "Ford coming apart from top to bottom"

Well fellas looks like you have manged to build another POS that you refuse to accept has flaws.

Oh by the way.... if you think this isn't a problem then why are all of the new model explorers not designed in the same manner?

Anyone else think we can attribute this to the altercation of the hinges that were recalled earlier in 2004?

- , Matthews, NC, USA

Jan 232007

Explorer XLT V6

I found a crack on the rear panel under the window of my 2002 ford explorer.... Ehen I called the dealer they told me there is nothing Ford can do for me, but that they will fix it and it will cost me $200. I feel Ford should take care of it.

- , Westfield, MA, USA