6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 5 of 31)

Jan 012010

Explorer XLT V6

This truck is very reliable & I love it but the back crack makes it look so ugly I HATE it!

Once I seen other trucks exactly the same as mine with the exact crack & I thought FORD must do

Something about it cuz its not just one its many trucks!

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jun 112012

Explorer XLS 4.0L

it makes it look like i got in a wreck and i dont like it

- , Hobbsville, NC, USA

Feb 022007

Explorer LX V6

two explorers both cracked hatch, replace 05 once and it cracked again

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Feb 112012

Explorer

Why does a company like Ford risk customer loyalty over a verifiable problem among Explorer owners.

I bought my Explorer new 2002. I still own it. They knew the transmission was total CRAP right away, they did not care, they knew the back panel was going to crack early on, they did nothing about it, they knew the black portion of door between windows fades and chips, yet again NOTHING! Really Ford, Do you not have a clue that we are not idiots out here? We are your PAST customers and not your future if YOU do not get a clue and start appreciating your car/truck owners.

Never again unless you own up and make it right!

It is never to late, unless you just do not care....

- , Eudora, KS, USA

Jan 192013

Explorer EL 4.L

well i know ford will do nothing at all to fix this problem but i thought it was a trickle of water but up close there is a crack from back window straight down to bottom of that panel if this problem has occurred with so many vehicles why doesn't ford recall and man up ...i have always had liked fords and have owned 3 now but you know the more people i talk to they have no faith in fords anymore due to there faulty response ti issues that are there fault ........thank you ...signed not impressed

- , Orillia, Ontario, canada

Apr 012010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

Ford, what the heck!?! This is known issue. I see many other explorers with the same issue. I guess I will count my lucky stars I got the manual transmission and dodged a HUGE bullet with the abysmal auto transmission. My wife and I were about to buy a new Expedition as well. After reading about the issues with the 5.4 V8, NO WAY. I can't believe Ford will not recall that issue or the auto transmission on his model Explorer. I liked the features and feel of the Expedition too. My money is going to get a GMC Yukon now. Ford will never see another dime of my money.

- , Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 012007

Explorer XLS V6

As so many others the back panel under my window is cracked, when I went to the dealership they told me it was not Fords problem to fix. After paying, $300 to have it fixed 6 months later the crack was back. Ford should step up to the plate and take responsibility for this, I was told because it's not a safety issue there will not be a recall issued. It causes other problems with the latch, isn't that enough cause? So fed up...it looks like crap!

- , Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA

May 012012

Explorer V8

Unsightly cracked rear panel allows moisture/water into locking mechanism causing "door ajar" and alarm problems. Dealership quotes @ $200 in parts to repair crack with additional cost for damaged lock sensor.

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Feb 102010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I noticed that the trim piece below the back glass started to buckle in the hot weather, but then would contract in the winter. One cold day while shutting the back glass, the trim cracked. I have noticed several Ford Explorers on the road with the same problem. I have not fixed my trim to remind me to never buy a Ford product again. I have owned 1995 and 1997 Explorers and have been pleased, but something happened in 2002 when the body style changed that compromised the quality of the Explorers.

- , Shelbyville, TN, USA

Apr 122005

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

its bull crap. i take really good care of my vehicles and if a lot of ppl have had this happen then it should be fixed free of costs.

- , Herriman, UT, USA

Mar 092011

Explorer XLT 4.6L V6

Black plastic panel under the rear window has a large crack in it. It looks terrible but I am the second owner of the vehicle and I didn't try to take it to Ford. Definately a vehicle with problems. If it were a horse it would need to be shot !! Might do it anyway !!

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer LX

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

This rear tail gate is ready to fall off. With 3 large cracks vertically, the rear window may fall out. and it grinds around when moving the vehicle.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 242012

Explorer XLT V8

You know, it's not bad enough I had to have my transmission replaced when I only had under 50k miles. I had to replace all my bearings & struts many times, but now I have a cracked panel right below my rear window. This is obviously a manufacturing defect. I've seen many 2002 explorers with the same crack, and some of them have two cracks. Fords should step up to the plate and take responsibility for this crack as well as the faulty transmission. They should issue a recall asap. Actually, they should have issued a recall long ago. we've owned many Fords and I'm never buying another one if they do not acknowledge they made a vehicle with nothing, but issues, that are not only costly to repair, but very dangerous.

- , Brighton, MI, USA

Jan 092012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Almost got into red explorer parked next to mine one day w/exact same cracks in rear hatch - also, window doesn't stay up, have to open whole hatch if I don't want to get clunked on the head. Along w/tranny, 4 wheel drive not working, etc, etc, etc.

- , Snowflake, AZ, USA

Feb 282003

Explorer XLT V6

Can't believe this problem can't be fix by Ford! It seem that the whole world has this problem beside 101 other problems. They should be taken to court!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 012008

Explorer LS

This panel has cracked again. The length of the panel and split at the bottom. I contacted Ford and received an e-mail telling me it was my problem. Having found your will web site I am further armed to tell them I don't find their answer satisfactory.

- , East Moriches, NY, USA

Aug 092011

Explorer V6

OKAY MY REAR PANEL UNDER THE GLASS CRACKED I HAVEN'T HAD NOT MUSIC OR ACCIDENTS IN THE TRUCK EVERY TIME IT RAINS THE WATER SOME HOW HAVE THE DOOR AJAR LIGHT ON SO WHEN I TRY TO ACTIVATE MY ALARM ALL LIGHTS CONTINUES TO STAY ON SO I HAVE TO TURN ALL LIGHT OFF IN INSIDE AN JUST LOCK MY DOORS WITHOUT THE REMOTE . SO FORD CAN U PLEASE HELP ME AN FIX THIS I HAVE NO EXTRA CASH TO GET THIS FIXED

- , Alexander, AL, USA

Jun 102008

Explorer

This crack in the rear panel was there when I bought it. I had the vehicle at a car wash and the panel flew off.

- , Concord, MI, USA

Mar 152010

Explorer

I too had the cracked rear panel issue - and then what happened because of that crack really put me thru the roof because this issue is so common and yet Ford refuses to acknowledge it! Water seeped in thru the crack and eventually caused the latch to completely rust and break off so there was no way to latch it closed and no way to reattach just the latch. It cost over $1000 to replace the panel and latch....VERY frustrating! I had thought it was mainly a cosmetic issue so wasn't planning on getting the crack repaired and I didn't think so much that water would seep in like it did and damage the latch but it did. I will attach pictures eventually but I wanted to let other people know about what happened - they might want to consider getting the panel fixed before it makes the issue worse like what happened to me!

- , Maplewood, MN, USA

Jan 232012

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

From all I have read, this is a long standing and continuing problem. As a result of the cracking on my car, I have started observing other Explorers and find the problem to be quite common. Ford needs to issue a recall and repair and correct the problem.

- , Diamondhead, MS, USA